PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Discussing Barry Bonds

Brutus
07-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Just a couple of weeks after Barry Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris, told ESPN that Bonds was unlikely to find a team to play for in 2008, it looks like there might be an interested party.

Today, ESPN is reporting that in a closed-door meeting of Yankees' brass, the name of Barry Bonds was to be discussed as a possible acquisition.

Will Yankes Buy Bonds? (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3503613)

Most hated team with the most hated player. Seems like a perfect fit, doesn't it?

I actually don't think this will wind up coming to fruition, but in a sadistic sort of way, I want it to.

texasdave
07-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Back in early-to-mid June there was an article stating that Bonds was willing to play at the pro-rated minimum. Now I know Bonds has done steroids and I know that he can be a jerk. But I also know that very few players can put up the numbers Bonds has. The Reds should have pounced on that offer (if it was legit). Give Bonds six or seven weeks to show that he can still rake and I'll bet the Reds could have swapped him for something of value at the trade deadline. And I am equally certain that Bonds would have had no problem moving to a contender.

BlastFurnace
07-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Back in early-to-mid June there was an article stating that Bonds was willing to play at the pro-rated minimum. Now I know Bonds has done steroids and I know that he can be a jerk. But I also know that very few players can put up the numbers Bonds has. The Reds should have pounced on that offer (if it was legit). Give Bonds six or seven weeks to show that he can still rake and I'll bet the Reds could have swapped him for something of value at the trade deadline. And I am equally certain that Bonds would have had no problem moving to a contender.

No question that Bonds can still swing a bat. I just wouldn't want him in my clubhouse for any reason. It's not that I am looking for choir boys to play on my team either. He is a divisive force in the clubhouse...that is why I wouldn't want him around.

Jr's Boy
07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
I hope he comes back,I must admit watching Giants games isn't the same with out Bonds in the lineup.

RedsInFL
07-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I think it's bs. Yankees did say they wouldn't leave anything unturned.

Oh and I got a Griffey stub from when he hit 600 if anyones interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130241547829

Edd Roush
07-24-2008, 06:58 PM
While I have absolutely no knowledge of how much club house chemistry translates into winning games, I think adding Bonds could be a major boon to the Yankees offense. Bonds was a freak of nature last year and while he broke the rules, he is still a damn good player. I don't think he would fit well with the Reds (two guys who can only play corner outfield and no DH spot), but he may end up being the player that puts the Yankees over the top.

Brutus
07-24-2008, 07:11 PM
While I have absolutely no knowledge of how much club house chemistry translates into winning games, I think adding Bonds could be a major boon to the Yankees offense. Bonds was a freak of nature last year and while he broke the rules, he is still a damn good player. I don't think he would fit well with the Reds (two guys who can only play corner outfield and no DH spot), but he may end up being the player that puts the Yankees over the top.

Absolutely.

Even though I think he took steroids (just look at photos from the early 1990's and compare them to 10 years later and see how much his head grew), even before I believed he started taking them, he was a heck of a player - Hall of Fame caliber.

I guess my point is, while he may never have become the all-time HR leader, I think Barry Bonds is a truly talented players even if he had not (allegedly) taken steroids.

texasdave
07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
No question that Bonds can still swing a bat. I just wouldn't want him in my clubhouse for any reason. It's not that I am looking for choir boys to play on my team either. He is a divisive force in the clubhouse...that is why I wouldn't want him around.

I wouldn't want him long-term either. But if a team like the Reds could sign him at the pro-rated minimum, let him knock the rust off for six weeks and then turn Bonds into a quality prospect at the trading deadline; where is the downside? Could he ruin a club's chemistry in six weeks? I could be wrong.

Ghosts of 1990
07-24-2008, 07:44 PM
let them have him

improbus
07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I heard Bill Simmons on his podcast say that if they sign Bonds they should sign Clemens as well, just to make Skip Bayliss' head explode. If that were to happen, I believe that ESPN would set up a new channel with Pedro Gomez and Roger Cossack heading up the coverage.

GoReds33
07-24-2008, 11:14 PM
How many of these old guys that play bad defense do the Yankees need?

Jr's Boy
07-25-2008, 03:01 AM
How many of these old guys that play bad defense do the Yankees need?

Bonds will DH for the Bombers.

Jr's Boy
07-25-2008, 03:05 AM
From what I read via yahoo sports is that the Steinbrenner sons have told Cashman do what you need to do to get players,and that no minor leaguers are untouchable.Question is do they have anything of value left to offer as they have dealt a lot of upper level prospects in other player trades.

PTI (pti)
07-25-2008, 07:21 AM
In 126 games last year, Barry Bonds did this...

.276 batting average
.480 on-base %
.565 slugging %
28 home runs
66 rbi
75 runs
132 walks

I absolutely *despise* the man, but it astonishes me that nobody has jumped all over him yet. And please, spare me the concern over his defensive ability. He plays the same position as Manny Ramirez, for god's sake. If you put him in your lineup, he immediately makes you better.

And as for the whole clubhouse cancer thing - I think it's overrated. Teams that win always seem to have great chemistry, and those that lose - don't. Clearly not a coincidence.

The Yankees have never been concerned about taking a risk before (Sidney Ponson and Richie Sexon??? Wow!), so why start being overly cautious now?

BlastFurnace
07-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I heard Bill Simmons on his podcast say that if they sign Bonds they should sign Clemens as well, just to make Skip Bayliss' head explode. If that were to happen, I believe that ESPN would set up a new channel with Pedro Gomez and Roger Cossack heading up the coverage.

If you could guarantee that Bayless's head would lose his mind, I would pay Bonds myself out of my own pocket.

Fon Duc Tow
07-25-2008, 04:56 PM
The Yankees don't need prospects. They have a 500 billion dollar payroll.

jmac
07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Could he ruin a club's chemistry in six weeks?

Most teams probably but I doubt he would hurt the Yanks with all their high profile names.

AFalcon10
07-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Todays move put this conversation to rest. Nady will be looking good in Bronx Blue.