View Full Version : Thursday, July 24 Minor League Updates

zipcurve
07-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Chattanooga playing a double header starting at 6:15
LeCure on the mound for game 1
Pedro Viola gets the start in game 2

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Lecure got them 1-2-3 in the first. DeJesus led off the inning for the Lookouts with a walk.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Why is Pedro Viola starting?

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Why is Pedro Viola starting?

My guess, bullpen day.

Chris Valaika singles in the 2nd. 18 game hitting streak.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Valaika can hit.

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Eric Eymann with an infield single. Drew Stubbs lines one into CF for a single. Bases loaded with no outs.

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Sac fly by Callaro, Lookouts 1-0 and runners on the corners with 1 out.

redhawk61
07-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Eric Eymann with an infield single. Drew Stubbs lines one into CF for a single. Bases loaded with no outs.
Stubbs is starting to get me excited.;)

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Lotzkar: 1 IP, 0 h, 0 R, 0 bb, 2 K

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Lotzkar: 1 IP, 0 h, 0 R, 0 bb, 2 K

Very nice.

zipcurve
07-24-2008, 07:16 PM
LeCure thru 3 innings
2 hits 1bb 1 K 0 runs

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 08:01 PM
4-0 Dayton after one inning.

Cozart was HBP and pinch ran for. Mesoraco singled in two runs.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Valaika and Stubbs are each 2-for-2.

HokieRed
07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Bats are up 3-0; Cumberland is 1 for 2, Rosales 1 for 2 with a HR, Hanigan 2 for 2. Pettyjohn going for L'ville.

zipcurve
07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Valaika id 3-3

HokieRed
07-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Anybody got anything on Sarasota? I'm interested to see how Gonzalez does. He was dominant in his last start.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Sarasota is winning 7-5 after three innings. Gonzalez has allowed five runs in three IP, including three homers.

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Sarasota up 7-5 after 3. Gonzalez has allowed 3 HR. Heisey and Kahaulelio each have HR for Sarasota. Juan Francisco has a walk of the non intentional variety.

HokieRed
07-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Seems Gonzalez has gone backward again. Sorry to see it.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Sarasota up 7-5 after 3. Gonzalez has allowed 3 HR. Heisey and Kahaulelio each have HR for Sarasota. Juan Francisco has a walk of the non intentional variety.

Beat ya slow poke. :)

I'm slow tonight. I'm on vacation at Myrtle Beach...this labtop is hard to type on.

HokieRed
07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Bats up 3-1 end of 4. Cumberland 1 for 3. Same for Griffin.

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Beat ya slow poke. :)

I'm slow tonight. I'm on vacation at Myrtle Beach...this labtop is hard to type on.

Haha, I am even slower because its hard to type on a computer while chasing your dog around the neighborhood. Once he gets out of the yard its like he loses all sense of listening. Hows vacation going?

zipcurve
07-24-2008, 08:32 PM
LeCure's done
5 inning 7 hits 3 runs 3 BB and 3 K. In line for the loss.
Chattanooga losing 3-2

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Haha, I am even slower because its hard to type on a computer while chasing your dog around the neighborhood. Once he gets out of the yard its like he loses all sense of listening. Hows vacation going?

Pretty good so far. Plenty of good looking girls down here in bikinis.:D

I'll be back home on Sunday and then the family is driving 12 hours to Florida on Thursday because my brothers' Senior League team won the West Virginia state championship and the tournament is being held in Florida... I'd like to go but I don't think I can handle another long drive three days after returning fron Myrtle Beach...plus we're going to Cincy for three games against the Astros in August so that's yet another four hour trip.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Wow. I was wondering why there was such a delay in the Dayton game...

DAYTON — The Dayton Dragons game against the Peoria Chiefs tonight, July 24, was stopped in the first inning by a brawl that erupted after a batter was hit in the head by a pitched baseball.

During the same incident, Chiefs starting pitcher Julio Castillo threw a baseball into the stands and hit someone.

The person hit was taken to a hospital. The extent of the injuries was not immediately known.

In the brawl, Castillo and six other Chiefs and eight Dragons and both managers were ejected from the game.

Dayton police and emergency medical personnel were dispatched to Fifth Third Field sometime before 8 p.m.

The game was resumed sometime after 8 p.m. after the dust-up was settled.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/07/24/ddn072408basebrawlweb.html

Blue
07-24-2008, 08:42 PM

DAYTON — The Dayton Dragons game against the Peoria Chiefs tonight, July 24, was stopped in the first inning by a brawl that erupted after a batter was hit in the head by a pitched baseball.

During the same incident, Chiefs starting pitcher Julio Castillo threw a baseball into the stands and hit someone.

The person hit was taken to a hospital. The extent of the injuries was not immediately known.

In the brawl, Castillo and six other Chiefs and eight Dragons and both managers were ejected from the game.

Dayton police and emergency medical personnel were dispatched to Fifth Third Field sometime before 8 p.m.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/07/24/ddn072408basebrawlweb.html

I hope Cozart and the person in the stands are okay.

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Seems like Cozart was the guy who was hit in the head. Hope he is ok. Same goes for the fan hit by the ball thrown into the stands.

Blue
07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
I hope Cozart and the person in the stands are okay.

Wait a minute. It wasn't Cozart being hit that started it. Looks like maybe three batters were hit in that inning.

CTA513
07-24-2008, 08:44 PM

MLB should give him a big fine and suspend him for that.

*edit* and thats on top of him hitting Cozart in the head.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 08:45 PM
He could possibly get arrested.

Blue
07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Dayton Bottom 1st

Justin Reed walks.

Zachary Cozart hit by pitch. Justin Reed to 2nd.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Kevyn Feiner replaces Zachary Cozart.

Neftali Soto strikes out swinging.

Brandon Waring singles on a ground ball to pitcher Julio Castillo. Justin Reed to 3rd. Kevyn Feiner to 2nd.

Peoria Chiefs second baseman Gian Guzman left the game due to an injured leg.

Defensive Substitution: Jake Opitz replaces second baseman Gian Guzman, batting 9th, playing second base.

Denis Phipps doubles (18) on a line drive to right fielder Cliff Andersen. Justin Reed scores. Kevyn Feiner scores. Brandon Waring to 3rd.

Devin Mesoraco singles on a line drive to center fielder Jonathan Wyatt. Brandon Waring scores. Denis Phipps scores.

Angel Cabrera hit by pitch. Devin Mesoraco to 2nd.

Keltavious Jones grounds into a force out, second baseman Jake Opitz to shortstop Nate Samson. Devin Mesoraco to 3rd. Angel Cabrera out at 2nd. Keltavious Jones to 1st.
On-field Delay.

What caused the fight? Cozart may well have been the guy hit in the head, because he left the game. Then the second basemen is injured? Spikes up slide, perhaps? Cabrerra is hit by a pitch, then all hell breaks loose on a ground out. Maybe a second malicious slide at second?

Blue
07-24-2008, 08:52 PM
The Dayton game just now resumed. 1 hour, 9 minute delay.

Plus, a five minute delay for Cozart, and a twenty minute delay for Guzman, who broke his leg.

Blue
07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Fifteen ejections, apparently overruled by the commisioner or whatever, because he didn't want pitchers playing the outfield.

Lotzkar out after the delay.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Bench-clearing brawl started after batters hit by pitches
By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Thursday, July 24, 2008

DAYTON — A first-inning four-run rally quickly escalated into a bench-clearing brawl between the Dayton Dragons and Peoria Chiefs tonight at Fifth Third Field, and that was after Dayton shortstop Zack Cozart had to leave the game after being hit in the head with a pitch and Peoria second baseman Gian Guzman went out with a broken left leg.

Trouble may have started in the top of the inning when Dayton pitcher Kyle Lotzkar hit the second batter, Nate Samson.

That half inning ended without further incident, but when Cozart came to bat as Dayton's second batter — with a runner on first — he was drilled in the left side of the helmet by a Julio Castillo pitch.

Cozart fell to the ground immediately and eventually was helped to the dugout, finished for the evening.

Following an out, Brandon Waring then hit a slow roller toward second that Castillo tried to field. Guzman ran up behind him and fell over Castillo, breaking his leg. He had to be removed by stretcher.

That loaded the bases and Denis Phipps hit a pop fly half way down the right field line that bounced sideways into the stands for a ground rule double, scoring two runs. Catcher Devin Mesoraco then singled home two more runs.

Dayton's next batter, Angel Cabrera, was hit with a pitch, reacting angrily by throwing his bat and batting gloves toward his dugout. When Keltavious Jones, Dayton's next batter, hit a grounder to second, Cabrera slid into second, legs high, to break up the double play.

Now Peoria shortstop Nate Samson reacted angrily, gesturing it was too rough a slide.

Castillo then threw a pitch close to Brandon Menchaca's head, prompting Dayton manager Donnie Scott to leave the third base coaching box and complain to home plate umpire Tyler Wilson.

That prompted interim Peoria manager Carmelo Martinez to join the conversation, which quickly became heated, and when Martinez pushed Scott, the benches emptied. Several fights broke out behind home plate, and Castillo threw a ball that sailed into the stands behind the Dragons' dugout, hitting a fan who had to be taken to a hospital.

Menchaca jumped on Castillo and eventually both managers and 15 players — including eight Dragons — were ejected from the game.

Those ejected from the Dragons were starting outfielders Justin Reed and Phipps, Kevin Feiner (who was taking the place of Cozart), starting catcher Devin Mesoraco and pitchers Henry Arias, Jeremy Horst, Jeff Jeffords and Luis Montano.

Peoria lost five starters, including outfielders Brandon Guyer and Cliff Anderson, catcher Mario Mercedes, third baseman Jovan Rosa and Castillo as well as pitchers Steve Vento and Audy Santana.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2008/07/24/ddn072508spdragonsweb.html?UrAuth=`N^NUOaNXUbTTUWU XUaUZTYU\UWUcUVUZUbUbUcTYWYWZV

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Eddy Rodriguez has 2 HR for Sarasota

Blue
07-24-2008, 09:07 PM
The managers started the physical altercation? That's crazy!

And, I'll reiterate, all of the ejections were overruled, and all players who were ejected are back in the game.

Reds Freak
07-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Man the Reds are sure developing some fiery young players considering Chatt's fight a few weeks ago. Although it sounds like an ugly scene, it's sort of nice to see and can help build some camaraderie with the youngsters..

CTA513
07-24-2008, 09:25 PM
According to MILB.com the Peoria Chiefs are one of the Cubs minor league teams.

OesterPoster
07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Man the Reds are sure developing some fiery young players considering Chatt's fight a few weeks ago. Although it sounds like an ugly scene, it's sort of nice to see and can help build some camaraderie with the youngsters..

At least the pitchers in the minors are sticking up for their batters. When's the last time a Reds pitcher threw what appeared to be an intentional bean ball at an opposing hitter? I don't remember any this year at all.

OesterPoster
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Ryne Sandberg is their manager, but he's in Cooperstown this week. That's why Carmelo Martinez is the interim skipper.

HotCorner
07-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Wow. :eek:

I hope Castillo gets suspended for the season for throwing a ball as a weapon during the fight that went into the stands. I would also like to see criminal charges filed.

HotCorner
07-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Dayton Daily News has photos ...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/content/gen/sharedoh/photos_galleries/sports/pro-dragons/072508dragonsbrawl.html

Blue
07-24-2008, 09:45 PM

http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/content/gen/sharedoh/photos_galleries/sports/pro-dragons/072508dragonsbrawl.html

Remind me to never make Justin Reed angry. He is everywhere in those photos.

REDSEER
07-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Holy.......looks like Reed was taking on the whole team :eek:

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Remind me to never make Justin Reed angry. He is everywhere in those photos.

One of the smaller guys on the team too.... I will take him on my team anytime.

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Danny Dorn hit a solo HR for Chattanooga in game 2. Its tied at 1.

HokieRed
07-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Any news about Cozart?

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Sarasota has scored 17 runs tonight. Francisco just hit a HR and has 5 RBI tonight. Todd Frazier has yet to reach base.

kentjett
07-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Reed is a bad a**. It looks like he takes out a few different people by himself.

Blitz Dorsey
07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I was glad to see Mesoraco was ejected. If there is ever a brawl, your catcher needs to be right in the thick of things IMO.

kentjett
07-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Mesoraco slammed the pitcher that threw the ball at the Dragons dugout and into the stands. The pitcher is going to get some serious charges against him, he threw the ball w/ everything he had.

Blitz Dorsey
07-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Good to hear Mes went after that punk. And even better to hear he slammed him to the ground.

I hope the person who had to be hospitalized is OK.

NJReds
07-24-2008, 10:22 PM
The guy that threw the ball into the stands should be done for the year.

kentjett
07-24-2008, 10:25 PM
I bet he gets charges brought up against him

Blue
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
The DDN article was updated to include this, which I find kinda funny:

Within 45 minutes after the ejections were announced, they were reversed after the Class A Midwest League office heard what happened from the umpires.

The ejections were reversed because the teams did not want pitchers to play the outfield positions, which would have occurred had the ejections stuck.

Walt Jocketty, general manager for the Reds, the parent club of the Dragons, and Terry Reynolds, director of player development for the Chiefs, whose parent club is the Chicago Cubs, made that feeling known to league President George Spelius by phone.

Jocketty and Reynolds happened to be at the game.

Spring~Fields
07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
The DDN article was updated to include this, which I find kinda funny:

I thought that Terry Reynolds is from the Reds.
Terry Reynolds Director of Player Development
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cin

corkedbat
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM

The Cubs and their fans are filth. Figures they start them young.

LoganBuck
07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Video coming up on the brawl on Channel 45 out of Dayton. Real fast.

OesterPoster
07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Got this update from another board:

I'm an employee at the stadium and witnessed everything first hand...

By UDBuck on 22:40:57 07/24/08

Ugliest fight I've ever seen. It started with a Dragon getting beaned, then two Cubs running into each other on a play. After the hard slide into 2nd base by the Dragon player to attempt to break up the double play, the acting Peoria manager (who is normally Sandberg but he is on leave) ran across the field towards Donnie Scott to argue in the 3rd base coaches box. After being in each other faces for a bit, the Peoria pitcher made a full wind up while walking towards the Dayton dugout and threw the ball, missing the dugout, going flying into the stands and hitting a fan. The fan was later taken off in a stretcher. The fight lasted some time before being broken up. The Peoria pitcher was arrested and walked out the back privately well after the game got back underway.

medford
07-24-2008, 10:44 PM
wow, my Dad's tickets are right behind the Dragon's dugout. I hope whoever he gave the tickets to is OK (or for that matter, whomever got hit, I Hope they're OK) I wonder what kind of signing bonus that pitcher got? Could be in line for a hefty civil suit if he's got enough coin rolled up, or if he ever makes it in the majors.

medford
07-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I guess this gives new meaning to the phase, I went to a fight and a baseball game broke out. Weirdest situation I've ever heard in a baseball game, well at least since disco demolition night anyways.

LoganBuck
07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Wow. That was ugly. Really freaking ugly.

As far as baseball brawls go, it was bad, instead of the usual rolling and hugging, fists were flying and that pitcher for Peoria should go to jail. Soto was fit to be tied.

Blue
07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
This is all even more unbelievable than it sounds:

http://www.wrgt45.com/

That is crazy.

kentjett
07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
It wasn't Mesoraco that tackled the pitcher it was Brandon Menchaca. I saw the M and the e and thought it was Devin.

medford
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
wow, wow, wow.

OesterPoster
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Mez pounced on Castillo pretty damn fast. There was a blur, and down went Castillo like a sack of potatoes. Soto looked like he was ready to go, and #35 for Peoria looked like an idiot too. Jake Muyco, a 23 year old pitcher from NC State.

My bad, guess it was Menchaca. I thought it looked like Mez too.

Blue
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like #32 didn't get the beating he deserved, at least in that footage.

medford
07-24-2008, 11:02 PM
when menchaca took him out, there was somebody else that came flying in on Castillo about the same time. It was some white dude, so it could have been Mes, but its awfully hard to tell. If I ever get into a bar room brawl, I want justin reed on my team.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Wow. That guy needs to be arrested.

medford
07-24-2008, 11:05 PM
after watching it again, it appeared to be somebody that would have been coming in from one of the bases, probably increases the odds that the other dud that jumped right in was Mes. Also, #7 came flying in just a split second later. IMHO, those 3 should be given no suspension, nothing wrong w/ jumping a man who throws a heater directly into the stands from 20 feet (or less) away.

LoganBuck
07-24-2008, 11:07 PM
The fan that was hit with ball, status unknown, was at the game with his wife and kids.

OesterPoster
07-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Channel 7 had an interview with a fan who said another fan threw a huge soda on a Chiefs' player, and that player turned around waving a bat at the fan.

LoganBuck
07-24-2008, 11:09 PM
sorry for the double post just reporting what they are saying on the news

The ball hit him in the second row, and then bounced back an additional seven rows.

KittyDuran
07-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm listening to the Dragons post-game and there was no mention of the pitcher throwing the ball in the stands - he mentioned the Chiefs pitcher throwing the ball in the Dragons dugout (point-blank). Hmmm...:confused:

Blue
07-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Channel 7 had an interview with a fan who said another fan threw a huge soda on a Chiefs' player, and that player turned around waving a bat at the fan.

That would explain why the umpires were so quick to leave the two managers nose-to-nose.

Hmm... lets see... a fan throws a soda at my teammate, do I: A) wait for security to take remove the unruly fan, or B) hurl a baseball 90+ mph in the general direction of the fan with every bit of the accuracy of a low-A minor league pitcher...

corkedbat
07-24-2008, 11:17 PM
If the pitcher is Latin American, the charges are severe enough and he's convicted, he may have a hard time getting a Visa (among other problems). I'll be the Scrubs organization is looking at a big payout.

Man that was viscious. I hope that fan is alright.

KittyDuran
07-24-2008, 11:19 PM
BTW the Dragons won 6-5.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Chattanooga won gamw two 3-1.

Durn and Turner hit solo homeruns. Valaika went 0-for-2 to end his 18 game hitting streak.

Viola: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K

Geronimo: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K

Kc61
07-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Francisco now has 27 doubles and 14 homers, with 69 RBIs, in the pitching friendly FSL. Despite all the concern about his walks, this guy has prodigious power. These are High A stats for a kid just turned 21. He seems like a big time talent and shouldn't be dismissed too easily because of the absence of walks. His strikeout rate is also much improved this year, from 30 percent to 22 percent.

OnBaseMachine
07-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Viola seems to be bouncing back now...check out his last four appearances:

7.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9 K

Geronimo has thrown 3.2 scoreless innings with 7 K's since his promotion to Chattanooga.

dougdirt
07-24-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't really know how much Viola was down. His walk rate has been up, but his BABIP this year through yesterday was .419 on the year. Thats ridiculous. His FIP on the year coming into today was 3.83.

Blue
07-24-2008, 11:58 PM
A guy over at redreporter was at the game and says Freddy Benevides put a butt whoopin' on one of Peoria's coaches.

Blitz Dorsey
07-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Watching that video, the jackarse Peoria interim manager instigated the whole thing. He was out of line. You don't come at an opposing manager like that.

Ryne Sandberg is never allowed to take another day off, even if he is elected president.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Francisco now has 27 doubles and 14 homers, with 69 RBIs, in the pitching friendly FSL. Despite all the concern about his walks, this guy has prodigious power. These are High A stats for a kid just turned 21. He seems like a big time talent and shouldn't be dismissed too easily because of the absence of walks. His strikeout rate is also much improved this year, from 30 percent to 22 percent.

I have visions of Willy Mo Pena dancing in my head.

HokieRed
07-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Billings is up 17-2 going to the bottom of the 9th. Means is 3 for 6 with 2 HR's and 7 RBI's.

Blitz Dorsey
07-25-2008, 12:23 AM
They are going to talk about the brawl and show highlights next on Baseball Tonight. The teaser was "You're not going to believe this fight from the minor leagues. One player was arrested!"

Blitz Dorsey
07-25-2008, 12:24 AM
I have visions of Willy Mo Pena dancing in my head.

What, Francisco can't catch a fly ball either?

But if we can flip him for an MLB starting pitcher, I'll be cool with it.

kaldaniels
07-25-2008, 12:25 AM
That pitcher throwing the ball into the stands was the most insane thing I've seen done on the ball field in my lifetime. Remember the uproar over the Delmon Young bat throw...that was nothing compared to this.

Blitz Dorsey
07-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Ehhh, didn't show too much. But it was on there.

JayBruceFan
07-25-2008, 01:16 AM
The fight was intense

I have never seen anything like that before

Police officers were on the field and the ushers were lining the top of the dugout

I feel that if it would have went any farther than it did, people would have either gone into the crowd or came onto the field

Mario-Rijo
07-25-2008, 01:24 AM
A slightly better piece of footage, although roughly the same footage.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?categoryId=2378529&brand=null&videoId=3504463&n8pe6c=2

JayBruceFan
07-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Here is his mughot and arrest information:

http://www.mont.miamivalleyjails.org/JailBooking.aspx?CJIS_OR_PARTY_ID=P6215257&JAILBOOKING_ID=2467126

Felonious Assualt

mbgrayson
07-25-2008, 01:45 AM
A different angle from a fan's camcorder is on YouTube HERE (http://youtube.com/watch?v=e36dZAmW8JU).

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 02:19 AM

Those are some good photos.

Plenty of them, especially photo #15, shows CF Justin Reed (#5) hammering on a dude while a couple of guys in the stands are lovin' it like it's a boxing match.

If you look at all of the photos, Reed's taking on the whole frickin' team of the Cubs, and winning. I love this guy. He's now my favorite Dayton player.

And, who's the lone guy that's wearing a Cincinnati REDS uniform?

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 02:32 AM
I've now seen the video on television and I didn't know we had Rick Rhoden as a coach. I'd love to have him replace Dick Pole if we have him in the organization. Though, it's great that we've got him down there teaching the young kids at Dayton.

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Mesoraco slammed the pitcher that threw the ball at the Dragons dugout and into the stands. The pitcher is going to get some serious charges against him, he threw the ball w/ everything he had.

That was Mesoraco? I saw the video and he really did bury him into the ground immediately. Sweet. What a frickin' pansy is that guy that threw the ball.

Mesoraco's standing just went up 100 fold in my views. He's also now become one of my favorites.

dougdirt
07-25-2008, 02:35 AM
And, who's the lone guy that's wearing a Cincinnati REDS uniform?

I was told that was Freddie Benevides (sp?).

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 02:37 AM
I thought that Terry Reynolds is from the Reds.
Terry Reynolds Director of Player Development
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cin

That had to be the guy then that was on the field during the melee wearing the REDS' uniform and cap.

Sorry, doug, hadn't read your comment then.....

Freddie Benvenides,....wonder what his job is and why he wears a REDS' uniform on the field of a Dayton Game.

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 02:42 AM
It wasn't Mesoraco that tackled the pitcher it was Brandon Menchaca. I saw the M and the e and thought it was Devin.

OK...then Menchaca just went way up in my eyes. I can't believe what a nut that pitcher is. He beans two guys...runs into his teammate who breaks his leg, and then throw a heater (missing of course, which is why he hit a couple of guys) and hits a fan.

Yep, he lost any kind of signing bonus he had, if he had one.

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 02:53 AM
A different angle from a fan's camcorder is on YouTube HERE (http://youtube.com/watch?v=e36dZAmW8JU).

A couple of things.

That's incredible!

I love at the beginning how Menchaca drops his bat when he senses trouble brewing and you could see right then that he was going in to be "the Protector" before he pounces on that jerk of a pitcher.

Then at the end, it's funny when you hear a guy say to someone else, "Man, you missed everything....a guy got beaned and knocked out, another guy broke his leg and then there was this....", I assume because the guy was waiting in line during the first inning to get some beers or whatever. The people getting hurt wasn't funny, of course...just the part at the end of the video.

I hope that Menchaca guy makes it to the show, also.

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 03:20 AM
Here is his mughot and arrest information:

http://www.mont.miamivalleyjails.org/JailBooking.aspx?CJIS_OR_PARTY_ID=P6215257&JAILBOOKING_ID=2467126

Felonious Assualt

Hasta la vista, jerk.

This is the last you'll see of the U S of A.

icehole3
07-25-2008, 04:32 AM
I've now seen the video on television and I didn't know we had Rick Rhoden as a coach. I'd love to have him replace Dick Pole if we have him in the organization. Though, it's great that we've got him down there teaching the young kids at Dayton.

That was Tyler Rhoden the pitcher not Rick Rhoden, anyone see Keltavious Jones do a swan dive right into the middle,thats wild.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-25-2008, 07:58 AM
#30 throws sucker punches early on and that backs off when Reed goes midevil by the backstop.

What a turd.

OesterPoster
07-25-2008, 08:40 AM
This is my favorite clip. Reed vs. The World

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/04/65/47/slideshow_647654_ddn072508basebrall8.jpg

traderumor
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Cudos to the Dayton fans for leaving their reactions to yelling at the Peoria players. It is rare to see a fight like this and not see idiots start throwing things on the field or coming after a player. Well, except for the one who poured the drink...oops forgot about that. But still, that is minimal considering.

The worst part of these things is the memories emblazoned on the minds of the kids there. I was at a game when a brawl happened at a HS basketball game, where fans were throwing chairs at each other in the entry way and the images are still clear of those events.

PoliKarpas
07-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know the status of the fan that was injured?

Chip R
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Cudos to the Dayton fans for leaving their reactions to yelling at the Peoria players. It is rare to see a fight like this and not see idiots start throwing things on the field or coming after a player. Well, except for the one who poured the drink...oops forgot about that. But still, that is minimal considering.

The worst part of these things is the memories emblazoned on the minds of the kids there. I was at a game when a brawl happened at a HS basketball game, where fans were throwing chairs at each other in the entry way and the images are still clear of those events.

It was the first inning. People hadn't had a chance to get drunk yet. ;)

OesterPoster
07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
It was the first inning. People hadn't had a chance to get drunk yet. ;)

And honestly, I've been to a ton of Dragons games and have seen very, very few drunken idiots. It's very family-oriented, so that's what is so disturbing about that YouTube video of the cursing and profanity-laced comments.

Xavier Redleg
07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
milb.com finally has an update on the GCL game yesterday. It was suspended due to rain in the 1st. Tyler Cline got his first professional start but only faced one batter before the game was suspended. He struck the batter out.

REDSEER
07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
:beerme:Perfect start to Tyler Cline's career!!!

:cool:

Grande Donkey
07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Bout time Cline got some action... as little as it may have been. I like Cline and think he could be a real good sleeper.

crazyredfan40
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
:beerme:Perfect start to Tyler Cline's career!!!

:cool:

It is a good thing he struck that batter out...Can you imagine if he would of gave up a hit...People here would already be calling him a bust....:cool:

lollipopcurve
07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Can you imagine if he would of gave up a hit...People here would already be calling him a bust....

Some players become busts within moments of being drafted, even. Amazing!

TC81190
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
WHOA, I saw the pictures of Justin Reed fighting everybody, but after watching the longer video, it doesn't really do what he did justice. He took out literally 3 or 4 guys, that was incredible.

mbgrayson
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Does anyone know the status of the fan that was injured?

From one of the stories on the Dayton Daily News website (http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2008/07/25/dragons-brawl.html):

• Spectator Chris McCarthy, 44 of Middletown, who was hit by a ball thrown by Peoria starter Julio Castillo. He was treated and released from Miami Valley Hospital.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Castillo is very lucky they guy is okay.

Schmitbuck
07-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Just spoke with my father, and he was 3 seats away from the guy that was hit by the ball. Said fans were trying to get on the field at that dugout.

Blue
07-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I continue to be disappointed that Castillo didn't suffer some sort of physical punishment from the Dragons.

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Just spoke with my father, and he was 3 seats away from the guy that was hit by the ball. Said fans were trying to get on the field at that dugout.

Explain again...more detail.

before or after the ball was thrown. how can you get on the field over the dugout? there's a dropoff on the other side of the dugout.,...were they getting on the dugout?....leaning on the dugout? had anyone actually reached the edge of the dugout top?

SoTxRedsFan
07-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Jesus, Reed was an animal in that video. He was completely surrounded. That was insane.