PDA

View Full Version : Slugger Field Ushers

George Anderson
07-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of dealing with the ushers at this park?

Last weekend on a whim my wife, myself and my two kids who are ages 5 and 2 went to see the Slugger Field for the first time. Our seats that we purchased happened to be along the lower level of right field line which had no shade at all. Its not that big of a deal to sit in the sun except my two year old son suffers from sun allergies. In the third inning we decided to move up to the top of the stadium which was totally covered in shade and where practically no one was sitting. Instantly a very rude usher confronted me and demanded that I show him our tickets. I told him we didn't have our tickets but we needed a place in the shade for my two year old son who had sun allergies. His comment to me was that if we didn't have tickets for that section then we were not going to sit there. I could understand if it was before the game and the section was full but it was the third inning and there were like a total of FIVE people in the entire section.

Is this common behavior for these ushers? Can someone explain to me why the Bats unlike the vast majority of baseball stadiums out there are so intent on keeping people in the exact seat they purchased?

I wrote the Bats a nice letter and expressed my concerns including asking why if they are so intent on keeping people without tickets for the upper deck out of the upper deck then why not have ushers stationed below to make sure people don't walk up the stairs to be immediately sent back down. There nothing is like lugging two little kids with diapers bags up a flight of stairs only to be confronted by a rude usher who tells us to get out of his section.

I have been to alot of stadiums and with very few exceptions they all try their best to be family friendly ,but I can say without doubt the Bats from my experience do not.

Blitz Dorsey
07-24-2008, 10:14 PM
That's bogus. I hope you are a better man than me because I would have probably lost my cool in front of that usher, even in front of my wife and daughter. That is bush league. Oh wait, you were seeing a game in the bush leagues, maybe that's the way things work down there.

No, that is lame. The fact that there wasn't anyone sitting in that section and your kid was bothered by the sun was everything that usher needed to know. Sometimes these robots need to think for themselves and consider customer service. I'm sure the man you dealt with had been told to make sure people were sitting in their correct seats. But again, in certain situations, intelligent adults are able to use judgement and adjust to the situation. I'm sure the guy wouldn't have gotten fired if he let you and your family grab some shade during the game.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2008, 04:54 AM
I've been to Slugger Field a few times and have never had an experience like that. I generally sit in my assigned seat, though, so the opportunity hasn't really come up. Nonetheless, I empathize. I hope you have better luck
in the future.

George Anderson
07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I've been to Slugger Field a few times and have never had an experience like that. I generally sit in my assigned seat, though, so the opportunity hasn't really come up. Nonetheless, I empathize. I hope you have better luck
in the future.

I thought for a brief moment we were on "Candid Camera". I mean there were literally ten rows of empty seats in front of us and the guy still demanded we leave. I didn't think a family of four sitting in the shade, albeit not in assigned seats would be such a serious issue for the Bats organization.