PDA

View Full Version : REDS talking to Orioles about Closer George Sherrill

Kingspoint
07-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Sherrill was an important piece in the trade of Erik Bedard to Seattle (another idiotic move by ex-GM Bavasi), but now the Orioles are shopping him with several teams, including the REDS, as suitors. The Orioles are said to be interested in obtaining two, if not three, prospects in return for him.

Per Baltimore Sun.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes24jul24,0,1048863.story

Griffey012
07-24-2008, 10:09 PM
I am so confused, but I think Walt might have some big tricks up his sleeve.

07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I am so confused, but I think Walt might have some big tricks up his sleeve.

You could be right. He did not sign Cordero, so he could be wanting to move him. Or he could just be trying to add as many good quality players as possible, if the price is right. The price probably is not right on Sherrill, as he is overpriced now that he is a closer. But he is one of the best loogy's in the game.

walk-off
07-25-2008, 12:23 AM
He was very impressive at the all star game. Stubbs / Coffey / Janish for Sherrill and we have "The New Nasty boys!"

TC81190
07-25-2008, 12:27 AM
I like the idea of getting Street more than Sherrill. I wouldn't be adverse to it, but I wouldn't hope they'd trade more than say Chris Valakia and Drew Stubbs. I wouldn't give up Bailey for him (or Street.)

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 03:12 AM
The Brewers had no problem replacing Francisco Cordero with someone who's doing as good a job as Cordero did last season and much better than Cordero is doing this season.

I see no reason to overpay for Sherrill with 2 or 3 prospects when it's possible that we already have our own Sherrill on the AAA roster.

NarrowStairs
07-25-2008, 03:14 AM
Sherrill is NOT good. THere is a reason Baltimore is shopping a cheap closer under their control for a while.

Ask any Baltimore an about Sherrill. Think lefty David Weathers.

Griffey012
07-25-2008, 07:15 AM
The Brewers had no problem replacing Francisco Cordero with someone who's doing as good a job as Cordero did last season and much better than Cordero is doing this season.

I see no reason to overpay for Sherrill with 2 or 3 prospects when it's possible that we already have our own Sherrill on the AAA roster.

Have you seen the Brewers bullpen though, downright awful...they would love to have Cordero back. And their replacement was also the 10 million on Gagne, not Torres.

Ghosts of 1990
07-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Sherril is a lefty who has nasty nasty stuff.

I'd love to add him.

Griffey012
07-25-2008, 07:42 AM
And being a loogy type, he would be awesome to have for the 7th or 8th alongside Burton and Weathers, and an occasional 9th instead of throwing Coco 3 games in a row

HeatherC1212
07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Sherrill is NOT good. THere is a reason Baltimore is shopping a cheap closer under their control for a while.

Ask any Baltimore an about Sherrill. Think lefty David Weathers.

As a Baltimore fan (they're my second favorite team), I take exception to that comment. They aren't shopping Sherrill because he's cheap and under their control. They're only shopping him because they're trying to rebuild over there and he's one of their top trade pieces. Sherrill may make things interesting sometimes but there are other times he'll strike out the side and be completely unhittable to close a game. The guy has really good stuff but sometimes has trouble trusting it which does lead to a few 'Stormy' moments. Most Baltimore fans think he's a good pitcher though and therefore, if they do end up trading him, they want to get good value for him. That said, I don't want us to give up pieces of the Reds potential future to get a lefty pitcher when we all ready have decent leftys in our clubhouse. George would be a good addition to the staff though (if the price wasn't too high) and he's also a really good guy with a great story. :cool:

ChatterRed
07-25-2008, 09:05 AM
I think what this says it that Oakland is asking too much for Street.

markymark69
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I could see Sherrill as Affeldt's replacement. I could see Jocketty thinking along those lines.

Griffey012
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
How about we just get Street and Sherril and get rediculous in the pen

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Obtaining Sherrill for 2 or 3 prospects reminds me of buying souveniers when you're on vacation. It looked like a great thing to do at the time, but later on you asked yourself, "Why they heck did I do that?".

akron3344
07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
if the bullpen were solid the reds would have 10-11 in a row

GoReds33
07-25-2008, 04:17 PM
if the bullpen were solid the reds would have 10-11 in a rowGoing by ERA, we have the 4th best bullpen in the NL, and the 11th best in baseball. That's very solid, IMO.

jmac
07-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Going by ERA, we have the 4th best bullpen in the NL, and the 11th best in baseball. That's very solid, IMO.
Actually that ERA surprises me.
Right now, Weathers, Burton, Lincoln are doing fine.
Bray-Affeldt-FC are up and own.
If you have to use Majewski/Coffey then that is a weak link.

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 08:36 PM
ERA means nothing when it comes to closing out games.

Hoffman's ERA is at 5.00, but he's closed 16 of his last 17.

DTCromer
07-25-2008, 10:04 PM
if the bullpen were solid the reds would have 10-11 in a row

Weren't we saying this type of stuff last year? I liked the signing at first but the more I realized we had the mindset of "We're 1 closer away from competing," I knew we made a mistake.

AFalcon10
07-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Obtaining Sherrill for 2 or 3 prospects reminds me of buying souveniers when you're on vacation. It looked like a great thing to do at the time, but later on you asked yourself, "Why they heck did I do that?".

dead on. dont see how this is different than being interested in Street, another bad plan.

07-25-2008, 11:19 PM
dead on. dont see how this is different than being interested in Street, another bad plan.

Completely depends on the prospects. The Yankees gave away a bunch of spare parts to get Nady and Marte, who were probably the two most desired guys on the block. If that and the Harden and Rausch trades set the market, the Reds should be able to pick up one of them for say, Brandon Waring and Sam Lecure, or prospects like them. (I am not saying the A's or O's would accept that, but just that, that is what the market is right now)

Blue
07-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Actually that ERA surprises me.
Right now, Weathers, Burton, Lincoln are doing fine.
Bray-Affeldt-FC are up and own.
If you have to use Majewski/Coffey then that is a weak link.
Bray has been pretty much all "up" this season.

AFalcon10
07-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Completely depends on the prospects. The Yankees gave away a bunch of spare parts to get Nady and Marte, who were probably the two most desired guys on the block.

In addition to spare parts the Yankees (my AL and 2nd favorite team ) gave away Jose Tabata, the second best prospect in the system after Austin Jackson... Think Frazier, Francisco, Mesoraco, Valaika, Stubbs ... not Waring or McLure...

It made sense for the Yankees to part with Tabata (though im sure it was not easy for them) because they are without a doubt in the hunt (and in my estimation will make the playoffs) .. the Reds have a way to go and need to focus on building for the future... lastly i hate to beat a dead horse but as a small market team, we really need to develop our farm system (Twins, Devil Rays, As) in order to compete, unlike the Yankees who only have a few major players who are homegrown

07-26-2008, 12:55 AM
In addition to spare parts the Yankees (my AL and 2nd favorite team ) gave away Jose Tabata, the second best prospect in the system after Austin Jackson... Think Frazier, Francisco, Mesoraco, Valaika, Stubbs ... not Waring or McLure...

It made sense for the Yankees to part with Tabata (though im sure it was not easy for them) because they are without a doubt in the hunt (and in my estimation will make the playoffs) .. the Reds have a way to go and need to focus on building for the future... lastly i hate to beat a dead horse but as a small market team, we really need to develop our farm system (Twins, Devil Rays, As) in order to compete, unlike the Yankees who only have a few major players who are homegrown

You are rtight, Tabata is a solid prospect, probably better than the Reds names you mentioned, but he is years away, and could just as easily be the next Wily Mo Pena as the next Curtis Granderson.

But regardless, that was for one of the better young power hitters in the game today who is in his prime, and one of the best loogys in the game, who currently was the Pirates closer. Street or Sherrill would not net Tabata, if the Pirates had to give up both Nady and Marte to get him. (The other guys are not impact prospects, middle relievers if they stick in the majors).

If this was a decent market for sellers, the Yankees would have had to give up Jackson and Tabata, plus more to get Nady and Marte. Laat year the Rangers got Engal Beltre, who is very similar to Tabata, plus an everyday CF in Murphy and a #5 starter in Gabbard, all for Gagne. That is what Marte should have brought by himself, or close to it.

I do agree that the Reds need to develop from within, but if you can get solid mlb players for B prospects, you should do it every time. Again, I don't think that the A's or O's would do that, but that is what the market is right now. In order to get one A prospect, the Pirates had to give up two mlb regulars, and very good ones at that.

DoubleA_Ron
07-26-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm I the only one that’s sort of confused by the idea of this trade? I think the O's are going to be asking a lot for Sherrill, especially considering this is his first real big league season. However the times I've seen him in action he really has a commanding presence on the mound, and can really shut down opposing batters.

K-GAR
07-26-2008, 10:47 AM
I could see Sherrill as Affeldt's replacement. I could see Jocketty thinking along those lines.

Or, just re-sign Affeldt and not trade prospects for someone to replace him

markymark69
07-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Or, just re-sign Affeldt and not trade prospects for someone to replace him

I would not be opposed to re-signing Affeldt, but from a dollars stand point and the fact that Affeldt was a Krivsky signing and not one of Jocketty's. The Reds could be looking elsewhere.

I'm just trying to think along with them. If you keep Affeldt it doesn't make any sense to go after Sherrill, unless Affeldt does not fit in your plans. That's all I'm saying.

Johnny Cueto
07-26-2008, 01:33 PM
They're going to be asking for a lot for him so don't expect him to come cheap, and it seems unnecessary to add another reliever at this point. He would be nice to have, but this team has a lot more pressing needs. Like the catching situation?? :confused: