PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing about Matt Maloney?

Blitz Dorsey
07-25-2008, 12:49 AM
I have to think this guy is going to be a part of the Reds' rotation next year and for the foreseeable future.

* He's a lefty.

* He's got a good K rate (has always averaged more than a K per inning in the minors) and doesn't give up a lot of walks.

* He's had a good season each year in the minors. In 2006 at the A+ level, he led the Phillies minor leagues with 16 wins. He followed it up with a strong 2007 and was a AA All-Star. We traded Kyle Lohse for him soon after. He finished the season strong at Chattanooga/Louisville combined. This season, he started out slow, very slow, but has been excellent ever since.

I'm glad the Reds haven't rushed him. I'm just saying I will be shocked if he's not a mainstay in our rotation for the next 5-10 years. The guy is just a consistently good pitcher. And my god we need a lefty in the rotation.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Matthew%20Maloney&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=476011

dougdirt
07-25-2008, 01:55 AM
I don't think he projects to be anything more than a #4/5 type of guy who may be able to give you some innings. There is nothing wrong with that though, he just isn't going to be a world beater.

SMcGavin
07-25-2008, 02:10 AM
The Maloney debate has been played out many times. He's got excellent minor league peripherals. Some people think his stuff doesn't translate to major league success. I think he can be successful in the majors, but we won't know who's right until he gets a chance to show what he can do in the bigs.

On the topic of Maloney, does anyone know what the injury was that landed him on the DL? And what his status is, or how long he's supposed to be out?

dougdirt
07-25-2008, 02:30 AM
The Maloney debate has been played out many times. He's got excellent minor league peripherals. Some people think his stuff doesn't translate to major league success. I think he can be successful in the majors, but we won't know who's right until he gets a chance to show what he can do in the bigs.

On the topic of Maloney, does anyone know what the injury was that landed him on the DL? And what his status is, or how long he's supposed to be out?

He has a strained oblique. Not sure how long he is out though.

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 03:00 AM
Dickerson didn't play tonight. Was it just a day off?

NarrowStairs
07-25-2008, 03:20 AM
You're missing this: He has no control. Major League hitters will destroy him.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2008, 05:06 AM
You're missing this: He has no control. Major League hitters will destroy him.

Can we quote this post and save it for a 'How Not to Post on RedsZone' thread?

ChatterRed
07-25-2008, 08:26 AM
If Maloney doesn't project as a solid major league starter, leave him triple AAA, and hope he continues to put up decent stats, that make him attractive in a trade.

RedlegJake
07-25-2008, 11:01 AM
If Matt hadn't had such a miserable start this season he'd probably have had a shot already. I'll bet we see him in September if he's still around next week.

RedsManRick
07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
The short answer is stuff. While Maloney makes great use of the stuff he's got, it's pretty mediocre. So while he could very well be a successful major leaguer, he'll never be dominant. I imagine he'll either get a cup of coffee this year or will be trade bait in the offseason.

fearofpopvol1
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm just annoyed that he hasn't been given a shot (with all the pitching injurries and uncertainties this year). I think he's at least deserved to get a start in the big leagues. In a lost season, it would be foolish not to give him a start, though I know he is on the DL right now.

kpresidente
07-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm just annoyed that he hasn't been given a shot (with all the pitching injurries and uncertainties this year). I think he's at least deserved to get a start in the big leagues. In a lost season, it would be foolish not to give him a start, though I know he is on the DL right now.

I don't think he's on the 40-man roster. Plus, if he really is just a AAAA all-star, and you expose him as such in a pointless big-league stint, then you've lost any trade value he might have.

RED VAN HOT
07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
My understanding is that he is a fly ball pitcher that tops out at a speed of 90. That is what translates poorly to the ML and Great American. Successful soft tossing lefties often have a pitch with good downward break. Having said that, his stats are impressive enough to merit a test of that proposition.

dougdirt
07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
My understanding is that he is a fly ball pitcher that tops out at a speed of 90. That is what translates poorly to the ML and Great American. Successful soft tossing lefties often have a pitch with good downward break. Having said that, his stats are impressive enough to merit a test of that proposition.

Maloney has a strong curve and change up. His fastball tops out around 91 though. The flyball issue is a big concern for our ballpark though, thats for sure.

fearofpopvol1
07-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't think he's on the 40-man roster. Plus, if he really is just a AAAA all-star, and you expose him as such in a pointless big-league stint, then you've lost any trade value he might have.

He's not on the 40-man, but there are other players who could easily be taken off to make room. The latter part of your argument is valid, but I don't think many other teams are high on him anyway. The reverse also could be true. He could come up and have a great game and really increase his value.

wolfboy
07-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Can we quote this post and save it for a 'How Not to Post on RedsZone' thread?

As long as we can include your response.

SMcGavin
07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Maloney has a strong curve and change up. His fastball tops out around 91 though. The flyball issue is a big concern for our ballpark though, thats for sure.

He's not a groundball pitcher, but doesn't really have strong flyball tendencies either. His GB% has been over 40% his whole minor league career. It's 41% this year. All three of Harang, Cueto, and Arroyo give up more flyballs. So while I'm not particularly excited about his GB%, it's not something severe that I see being prohibitive to success in GABP.

dougdirt
07-25-2008, 05:20 PM
He's not a groundball pitcher, but doesn't really have strong flyball tendencies either. His GB% has been over 40% his whole minor league career. It's 41% this year. All three of Harang, Cueto, and Arroyo give up more flyballs. So while I'm not particularly excited about his GB%, it's not something severe that I see being prohibitive to success in GABP.

He has fairly strong flyball tendencies. 59% of the balls put in play against him are in the air. Thats also in the minors, where guys tend to get a few more grounders than they do in the majors. I don't think thats going to make or break anyone though of course, but it won't likely help him either.

Lockdwn11
07-25-2008, 06:28 PM

91mph isn't soft tossing for a lefty. There are very few left handed starters that throw 93-95 or above in MLB most throw 88-92 .

_Sir_Charles_
07-25-2008, 10:46 PM
91mph isn't soft tossing for a lefty. There are very few left handed starters that throw 93-95 or above in MLB most throw 88-92 .

I agree completely. I think many Reds fans are getting a bit overused to our current contingent of fireballers. Pitchers with 93-96 MPH are NOT the norm....just the norm on our current staff. :O)

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 11:01 PM
He has a strained oblique. Not sure how long he is out though.

I came to this thread to see what was wrong with Maloney, and I knew I could count on you to deliver the info.

Thanks.

Strained oblique doesn't sound good, though. He won't be needed until at least August 17th, though, so I'm sure he'll stay out until at least then (unless Arroyo is traded soon, and that would stretch the AAA/Major League starters a bit.)

Blitz Dorsey
07-25-2008, 11:36 PM
He racks up the strikeouts every year. That tells me he has a deceptively good fastball (much like Harang, 2008 excluded). But we won't know for sure how he does until the Reds give him a shot.

Another funny thing is that the Phillies really goofed up here. If they were going to trade Maloney for Lohse, they certainly should have tried to re-sign Lohse. Especially if all it took was ~$4 million to sign him. I'm sure Lohse wanted more than that at the start of FA, but I think the Cardinals ended up getting him for just $3.75 mil.

LoganBuck
07-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Maloney tops out at 91 he works 86-88. For comparison sake that is about where other recent lefties Brandon Claussen and Phil Dumatrait worked. I expect similar results.

dougdirt
07-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Maloney tops out at 91 he works 86-88. For comparison sake that is about where other recent lefties Brandon Claussen and Phil Dumatrait worked. I expect similar results.

I will go ahead and say his offspeed stuff is much stronger than that of Dumatrait. Claussen was a while ago, before I was that focused on certain aspects of the game so I won't comment on that one much.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2008, 06:26 AM
As long as we can include your response.

Actually, I got warned for my response (and deservedly so). I typed my response in Notepad and copy-and-pasted the wrong section. The point of my post was pretty much the same, but I included reasons for why it was ridiculous to say Matt Maloney had no control and why the original post in question wasn't a good post (in my unrequested opinion).

Rojo
07-28-2008, 08:18 PM
The reverse also could be true. He could come up and have a great game and really increase his value.

Let's wait til we can put an outfield behind him.

fearofpopvol1
07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Let's wait til we can put an outfield behind him.

That's simple. For the game he starts, put Bruce in RF and Patterson in CF and there you go. That defense should be fine.

roborobj
08-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I came to this thread to see what was wrong with Maloney, and I knew I could count on you to deliver the info.

Thanks.

Strained oblique doesn't sound good, though. He won't be needed until at least August 17th, though, so I'm sure he'll stay out until at least then (unless Arroyo is traded soon, and that would stretch the AAA/Major League starters a bit.)

I've been told that there is no first have winners for AAA for playoff status. I'm kind of new to AAA so can someone tell me what happens at the end of the regular playing season for playoffs, etc., for AAA? Thanks.

jojo
08-03-2008, 10:25 PM

His fastball becomes a straight-as-an-arrow meat ball when he tries to throw it above 88 mph. Velocity is not his friend.