PDA

View Full Version : Stark tid-bit on Dunner...

_Sir_Charles_
07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Yankees explore deal for Reds' Dunn
Friday, July 25, 2008 | Print Entry (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3505280&type=blogEntry)

Posted by Jayson Stark
Even with the trading deadline less than a week away, the Reds have had very little action on Adam Dunn. But one club that spoke with the Reds says the Yankees have explored what it would take to plug Dunn into their revolving outfield/DH vacancies. The Reds, however, are continuing to ask teams for one top-of-the-line prospect and one second-tier prospect. And that's probably more than the Yankees are inclined to give up for Dunn.

As usual, I'm sure it'll amount to nothing.

*BaseClogger*
07-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Are these teams thinking clearly? They get two comp picks if they pick up Dunn, which is why we want top prospects. If you are a contender now you probably would rather have the picks anyways...

M2
07-25-2008, 06:30 PM
God forbid someone ask the Yankees to trade Austin Jackson Melian and a flyer on a guy like Ivan Nova (I totally love his name).

dougdirt
07-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Are these teams thinking clearly? They get two comp picks if they pick up Dunn, which is why we want top prospects. If you are a contender now you probably would rather have the picks anyways...

Difference is though, 1 top of the line prospect is likely at least in AA and will be ready much quicker than anyone you draft next year in all likelihood. Its not quite the same thing, but I see the point.

lollipopcurve
07-25-2008, 06:32 PM
God forbid someone ask the Yankees to trade Austin Jackson Melian and a flyer on a guy like Ivan Nova (I totally love his name).

Or Jesus Christ Montero.

*BaseClogger*
07-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Difference is though, 1 top of the line prospect is likely at least in AA and will be ready much quicker than anyone you draft next year in all likelihood. Its not quite the same thing, but I see the point.

They are contenders, they don't need the prospects now. They are the teams with the luxury to wait on the picks to plug in on the next up cycle...

dougdirt
07-25-2008, 06:40 PM
They are contenders, they don't need the prospects now. They are the teams with the luxury to wait on the picks to plug in on the next up cycle...

But they might need a prospect next year and maybe said top of the line prospect is that guy.

puca
07-25-2008, 06:42 PM
But they might need a prospect next year and maybe said top of the line prospect is that guy.

Sure. That is their decision. That doesn't mean the Reds should settle for anything less than two top notch prospects.

Johnny Footstool
07-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Dunn for Melky Cabrera and a pitching prospect.

dougdirt
07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Sure. That is their decision. That doesn't mean the Reds should settle for anything less than two top notch prospects.
I think the Reds are asking for the right types.

*BaseClogger*
07-25-2008, 06:46 PM
I think the Reds are asking for the right types.

I agree...

Gainesville Red
07-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Dunn for Melky Cabrera and a B-level bullpen prospect.

I'm not that crazy about Melky. Though, honestly, I haven't looked at numbers or anything. (I'm an uninformed idiot, just spouting baseless opinion) He's just always seemed like typical over-hyped Yankee. (Like I said, it's quite possible I'm being foolish.)

*BaseClogger*
07-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Heres how I see it (I think this will be more clear): The draft picks are the same talent as the prospects, but less advanced/developed. The cost of getting half a season of Dunn and the 15 runs he will add to your team is the loss in developement of the youngsters...

*BaseClogger*
07-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I like Melky, but he would have to replace that second tier prospect and not the first tier one...

wheels
07-25-2008, 07:11 PM

Am I the only one that caught the Jackson Melian reference?

I still get a little sick inside when I harken back to '00.

Spitball
07-25-2008, 07:24 PM

I caught it but was confused by the Austin part. That was a trade that didn't help either team much though it did eventually evolved into Bronson Arroyo.

Highlifeman21
07-25-2008, 07:46 PM

I sat next to this kid in one of my econ classes @ OSU who swore that the Reds were set with a future OF manned by Dunn, Melian and Kearns.

For the life of me, I could never understand the Jackson Melian hype. I guess he was the Wily Mo Pena before Wily Mo Pena?

KronoRed
07-25-2008, 09:54 PM
For the life of me, I could never understand the Jackson Melian hype. I guess he was the Wily Mo Pena before Wily Mo Pena?

Pretty much, he had 5 tools and was the next JR.

I remember it well.

MikeS21
07-26-2008, 10:11 AM
By the time Jackson Melian showed up, we had already been burned by Bowden's hype machine, which revolved around the much ballyhooed signing of Alejandro Diaz, who was supposed to be the next JR too.

REDREAD
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
I sat next to this kid in one of my econ classes @ OSU who swore that the Reds were set with a future OF manned by Dunn, Melian and Kearns.

I saw Melian play in the minors a few times. He wasn't a top prospect, but a great guy to get in as a throw in. Incredible athlete, the only problem is that he need to learn how to hit. It's worthwhile to collect some of these guys and hope a few pan out. Much like it's worth picking up guys like Thompson as toss ins..

Another one of those guys that "if he could hit, he'd be a superstar". :)

Johnny Footstool
07-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm not that crazy about Melky. Though, honestly, I haven't looked at numbers or anything. (I'm an uninformed idiot, just spouting baseless opinion) He's just always seemed like typical over-hyped Yankee. (Like I said, it's quite possible I'm being foolish.)

Good defense in CF, decent walk rate (this season notwithstanding), 24 years old, developing power. He could hit leadoff for the Reds. I'd rather have him than on of the Yankees' overhyped prospects.

Of course, the Nady deal makes this a moot point.

Jpup
07-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Good defense in CF, decent walk rate (this season notwithstanding), 24 years old, developing power. He could hit leadoff for the Reds. I'd rather have him than on of the Yankees' overhyped prospects.

Of course, the Nady deal makes this a moot point.

Melky is outstanding in the field, but he makes way too many outs to be a leadoff hitter.

mth123
07-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I've always thought that Melky was below average in CF. He looks good to Yankee followers because they watched Williams and Damon botch it for several years out there. He'd be a good corner defensively, but doesn't have the bat for it. IMO he's Norris Hopper with enough extra pop to move him from fringe player (like Hopper) to pretty good 4th OF type.

Jpup
07-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I've always thought that Melky was below average in CF. He looks good to Yankee followers because they watched Williams and Damon botch it for several years out there. He'd be a good corner defensively, but doesn't have the bat for it. IMO he's Norris Hopper with enough extra pop to move him from fringe player (like Hopper) to pretty good 4th OF type.

watch him play, he'll change your mind. He's got a cannon and can go get them too. Anyone that does as well as he does at Yankee stadium is pretty good. No, he's not a very good hitter, but he can play some D.