PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated

improbus
07-25-2008, 07:15 PM
What do you think is overrated? It can come from any walk of life. Here is my list for starters:
1) NFL - too many commercials, too much coverage,
2) Belgian Beers
3) Wine - maybe I'm just a cheap beer guy, but I think people go after expensive wine just because its expensive.
4) Graeter's Ice Cream - Its good, but not that good
5) Sour Cream - All it does it make your meal cold
6) Chipotle - The new crack for middle class high-schoolers. Basically, they sell you rice in a tortilla - great, thanks
7) Any award show (Oscars, Emmy's etc...) - what a colossal waste of human energy and time
8) Traffic in the Midwest - c'mon guys, I would call a friend at 9:00pm in DC to keep him company in traffic.
9) Sports Cars - You really paid all of that money for a car your not allowed to drive fast?
10) Roller Coasters - I want to leave barfing to the flu.

Redhook
07-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I actually think your list is decent, but I disagree with you big-time about the NFL and Graeter's. The NFL is great and Greater's is better. It really is that good.

NorrisHopper30
07-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Chipotle is underrated

redsmetz
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree with Redhook about Graeters. I've tried "the best ice cream" in other cities and none have matched Graeters - none.

With regard to Chipotle, if you're just getting tortillas and rice, then you're not paying attention to the questions being asked of you. Of course, I stopped asking for a burrito and now get the Bol. I can ask for less rice, if I want, and getting that great chicken, the mild tomato salsa, the medium corn salsa, lettuce, sour cream (sorry, I like it on that) and cheese. Nice, cheap meal.

improbus
07-25-2008, 08:35 PM
I agree with Redhook about Graeters. I've tried "the best ice cream" in other cities and none have matched Graeters - none.

With regard to Chipotle, if you're just getting tortillas and rice, then you're not paying attention to the questions being asked of you. Of course, I stopped asking for a burrito and now get the Bol. I can ask for less rice, if I want, and getting that great chicken, the mild tomato salsa, the medium corn salsa, lettuce, sour cream (sorry, I like it on that) and cheese. Nice, cheap meal.
I'm not saying that it is bad, just overrated. I guess you guys aren't around high school kids all that often. They treat it like a 5 star restaurant. It has almost mythical status.
As far as the NFL goes, here is a list of why the NFL is overrated (I like lists if you can't already tell)
-Too many commercials. Here is a common occurrence - Touchdown, Commercial, Kickoff, Commercial, 3 and out, Commercial. NFL games can really be condensed into about 15 minutes of real action.
-The Draft is the most over-hyped waste of 48 hours. Do we really need 500 mock drafts? How much of people short human existence is wasted on something so superfluous. All you need to do is buy the following Mondays USA Today and your fine.
-Any sport that meets the following conditions would be popular
1) Played in the late fall and winter when it is too cold to go outside
2) Played for the most part only on Sundays when no one works
3) Played during the day so you don't have to stay awake late to watch
Imagine the pressure in a baseball game if they only played once week. Imagine how hard NBA players would play. Imagine what a war all 16 hockey games would be.
-Somehow, the NFL has a clean image. They have the most scandals, most jerks, and most criminals of any major sport, and somehow there is no real outrage that the league needs to clean itself up.
-Fantasy Football is a waste of time.
-There are daily studio analysis shows in July. Just dumb
-The Brett Favre story

*BaseClogger*
07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
ESPN/SportsCenter

Jerry Narron
07-25-2008, 08:43 PM
ESPN/SportsCenter

Tuned into that this morning and they were getting ready for a preview of the Yanks vs. Red Sox and then an updated story on Brett Favre. I quickly turned the TV off.

durl
07-25-2008, 11:05 PM
- Starbucks.
- "Green".
- Star Wars Episodes 1-3.
- The Rolling Stones.
- Football coverage (not football itself...just how it's covered.)
- Lobster. It's OK but I don't go ga-ga over it like some do.
- Gotta go along with *BaseClogger* on ESPN/SportsCenter

guttle11
07-26-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure how Sportscenter can be overrated when a growing population of people say they don't enjoy the show. Respected media members, ESPNs Ombudsman, regular joes. At some point the term "overrated" ceases to apply.

At the top of my list are hipsters. The clothes they wear, the bands they listen to that no one knows about, art in their condo, the desperate need to be in a WiFi zone even when not conducting business, must be the first to have and dump the latest gadgets...what does all of that really get you? What am I missing out on?

NorrisHopper30
07-26-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm not saying that it is bad, just overrated. I guess you guys aren't around high school kids all that often. They treat it like a 5 star restaurant. It has almost mythical status.
As far as the NFL goes, here is a list of why the NFL is overrated (I like lists if you can't already tell)
-Too many commercials. Here is a common occurrence - Touchdown, Commercial, Kickoff, Commercial, 3 and out, Commercial. NFL games can really be condensed into about 15 minutes of real action.
-The Draft is the most over-hyped waste of 48 hours. Do we really need 500 mock drafts? How much of people short human existence is wasted on something so superfluous. All you need to do is buy the following Mondays USA Today and your fine.
Imagine the pressure in a baseball game if they only played once week. Imagine how hard NBA players would play. Imagine what a war all 16 hockey games would be.
-Somehow, the NFL has a clean image. They have the most scandals, most jerks, and most criminals of any major sport, and somehow there is no real outrage that the league needs to clean itself up.
-The Brett Favre story
I am 18 so maybe that's why i'm hooked on Chipotle.

GAC
07-26-2008, 05:27 AM
JTM (it's Alpo as far as I'm concerned)

Penn Station subs

both Skyline and Gold Star (I, like most, can make far better chili at home)

redsmetz
07-26-2008, 07:14 AM

What do you expect from high school kids? They wouldn't know haute cuisinie if it fell on them. And it's a decent value and beats the daylights out of the usual burger joint. Not to mention, I personally like their production requirement viz how the food products are raised.

Red in Chicago
07-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Here's some of my list:

Red Sox vs Yankees games - for those of us not on the east coast, it really is just another game.

Miley Cyrus / Jonas Brothers - (or for that matter, any other flavor of the month, teenage singer/group) unlistenable.

Wal-Mart - cheap prices maybe, but is saving $0.25 worth all that aggravation?

NBA - maybe if they would raise the net about 10 feet, I could get myself to watch.

Donald Trump - I know you're a billionaire and all, but is everything you do really the "best"

The Olympics - Chicago is pimping hard to get them, but for me personally, I just don't get them.

e-85 gas - sure it's cheaper, but you get less miles to the gallon, so what are you really saving?

cell phones - even with today's technology, no, I can't hear you now

durl
07-26-2008, 09:25 AM
e-85 gas - sure it's cheaper, but you get less miles to the gallon, so what are you really saving?

Good one. It also burns hotter and is damaging engines. It can REALLY mess up air-cooled 2-stroke engines.

Hap
07-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Bob Evans (most of the food is now pre-packaged and over-processed)

Arby's (bland)

White Castle (puke)

Domino's/Papa Johns/Pizza Hut (I can make a better pizza at home)

Taco Bell (food quality can be very poor)

wolfboy
07-26-2008, 10:41 AM
- Starbucks.
- "Green".
- Star Wars Episodes 1-3.
- The Rolling Stones.
- Football coverage (not football itself...just how it's covered.)
- Lobster. It's OK but I don't go ga-ga over it like some do.
- Gotta go along with *BaseClogger* on ESPN/SportsCenter

The Stones? Seriously?

Lobster? Seriously?

Of course, I can't really argue with anyone that has Starbucks at the top of their list. :D

cincinnati chili
07-26-2008, 11:38 AM
ESPN/SportsCenter

I agree, yet when I have time to watch TV, why do I find myself turning it on? It's not the personalities that bother me so much (as it is for some people), it's the stupid product extensions that get in the way of the sports coverage:

The ESPYs

Title Town: Who T F cares?

"Who's Now (http://http://www.armchairgm.com/index.php?title=What's_the_deal%2C_ESPN%3F_Who's_N ow%3F)"? That was the most painful of all. Celebrating celebrity, as opposed to merit.

---

Most overrated: Eric Clapton.

NJReds
07-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Blogs ... so many bad ones that it's tough to find the few gems out there.

Celebrities ... don't care about their politics, don't care if they have babies with odd names, don't care if they're in rehab.

Media hype ... everything is either going to kill you or break you. Somewhere along the line the media stopped covering the news and tried to become a paranoid parent.

improbus
07-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Media hype ... everything is either going to kill you or break you. Somewhere along the line the media stopped covering the news and tried to become a paranoid parent.
That's a simple one to explain. Those stories are cheap and easy to produce. They really don't have to do any work, they don't have to pay correspondents, and they don't really have to ruffle any feathers.

In a way, this is where ESPN and the Olympics fail. They think that people watch sports because of the fluff stories. Yes, the Josh Hamilton story is great and adds some great color to the game, but the only reason people care about Hamilton is because he can destroy a hanging curve ball. If he were just some random junkie who cleaned himself up, we wouldn't bat an eyebrow.

I love the games, I love the competition, and I love to gain some insight into the game I am watching. The only show that gives you that is NFL Match-up. But, in the end, it it easier to cover the Brett Favre, Clemens, Bonds, TO, Chad Johnson, or A-Rod than it is to analyze game tape and give us insight. So, we get Entertainment Tonight Sports Edition. Sad.

redsfanfalcon
07-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Derek Jeter...yeah, he has the rings, but when a guy like Iwamura from the Rays is putting up similar numbers and Jeter is "still so great" I have to question it. Yanks/Red Sox also overrated. Graeter's ice cream...they should call it Greater's because it's greater than anyone else. Red Lobster...having going to the east coast, it just flat out sucks.

improbus
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Some other overrated things:
1) Hot Wings - So, I really want to each the worst part of the chicken, get very little meat, and drown myself in vinegar. I think I'll pass.
2) Ranch Dressing - Trivia Question - How can a salad cause a heart attack?
3) Euchre - Play two tricks, throw in your cards, play two tricks, throw in your cards...rinse and repeat
4) Montgomery Inn
5) Any Stallone Movie
6) The Wiggles - I'm not a fan of kids shows that star adults...kind of creepy
7) Gas Grills - Messy and no charcoal flavor
8) Ben Stiller
9) Adam Sandler
10) 1980's nostalgia - it wasn't that great guys...

*BaseClogger*
07-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure how Sportscenter can be overrated when a growing population of people say they don't enjoy the show. Respected media members, ESPNs Ombudsman, regular joes. At some point the term "overrated" ceases to apply.

At the top of my list are hipsters. The clothes they wear, the bands they listen to that no one knows about, art in their condo, the desperate need to be in a WiFi zone even when not conducting business, must be the first to have and dump the latest gadgets...what does all of that really get you? What am I missing out on?

Are SportsCenter's ratings down? Sure, some groups don't watch, but trust me, there is still a huge draw amongst young people. It's like the show has some kind of power over people...

*BaseClogger*
07-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Family Guy

Degenerate39
07-26-2008, 01:42 PM
The Godfather
Titantic
Basketball
College Sports
Yanks vs Red Sox
Cubs
Patriots
David Beckham
McDonalds
Cell Phones
Rap music

Dom Heffner
07-26-2008, 02:09 PM
7) Gas Grills - Messy and no charcoal flavor

Could not disagree with you more here. You can control the temperature, and anything cooked over an open flame will taste delicious if you season it right.

Has anyone mentioned Miley Cyrus? I don't get it at all.

Others:

Derek Jeter
Mike Lowell
Eli Manning
M. Night Shamalyan
Applebee's
Chili's

LoganBuck
07-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Could not disagree with you more here. You can control the temperature, and anything cooked over an open flame will taste delicious if you season it right.

Others:

Derek Jeter
Mike Lowell
Eli Manning
M. Night Shamalyan
Applebee's
Chili's

I agree with Dom. (Is that a first?) Taste the meat not the heat! If you want that Charcoal flavor you can buy smoker boxes for your gas grills, or some grills come with smoker boxes built in. Who wants to mess with all the ash from a charcoal grill anyway? How do you city folk do it?

Applebee's is by far an away the most overratted restaurant that I know of. All of the food is pre processed crap, and the service is almost always lousy. The only thing they get right consistently is the temperature of the beer.

Screwball
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
3) Euchre - Play two tricks, throw in your cards, play two tricks, throw in your cards...rinse and repeat

Strongly disagree. Euchre is an awesome game and your description doesn't do it justice. I mean, why not add "11.) Baseball - throw the ball, hit the ball, run, throw the ball, hit the ball, run...rinse and repeat"?

There's a lot more to both.

MrCinatit
07-26-2008, 02:39 PM
UFC/"pro" wrestling - So, you get a couple of grown men, grease them up, put them in a confined place and let them start hugging each other.
Modern pop/country music - Seriously, besides the twang or lack of...what is the difference?
Any fast food. Where is the taste? Where is the health value? And where is the value - 5 bucks is a great deal for a wafer thin burrito, taco and pop? Huh.

Dom Heffner
07-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Oh dear, how can I forget the all-time most overrated thing in the world: Radiohead.

I don't care how many 5 star reviews RS throws at them, or how innovative they are.

You may think you're cool by liking them, but you don't really like it. You feel hip placing it on the counter, it sounds cool to talk about with people you just met, but it's just noise. Crappy noise. Just admit it and throw on a Backstreet Boys CD. Sure, it's cheesy, but at least it has a chorus, keyboards, guitars, drums and it's not a wasteland filled with things that sound like a violin being played with a tire iron.

Radiohead takes something wonderful like music, and turns it into an unbearable experience.

People thought it was a big deal that they released an album online.

Well if you wait a bit, you'll be able to buy it at garage sales nationwide.

cincinnati chili
07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Strongly disagree. Euchre is an awesome game and your description doesn't do it justice. I mean, why not add "11.) Baseball - throw the ball, hit the ball, run, throw the ball, hit the ball, run...rinse and repeat"?

There's a lot more to both.

I agree. I like the more complex games too like bridge and even spades. But Euchre is quicker, and a fun to play with family.

Euchre is to wiffle ball as bridge is to baseball. All good times.

redsfanmia
07-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh dear, how can I forget the all-time most overrated thing in the world: Radiohead.

I don't care how many 5 star reviews RS throws at them, or how innovative they are.

You may think you're cool by liking them, but you don't really like it. You feel hip placing it on the counter, it sounds cool to talk about with people you just met, but it's just noise. Crappy noise. Just admit it and throw on a Backstreet Boys CD. Sure, it's cheesy, but at least it has a chorus, keyboards, guitars, drums and it's not a wasteland filled with things that sound like a violin being played with a tire iron.

Radiohead takes something wonderful like music, and turns it into an unbearable experience.

The Bends was and is great, OK computer is just that OK and after that I agree.

improbus
07-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Just because I put some of these items on the list doesn't mean I don't like them. I simply feel that they are overrated. Everybody plays Euchre when there are far better games, IMO. Same goes for the NFL. I don't hate the league (although it ranks behind baseball, college football & basketball, the NBA, and soccer on my list).

As for Radiohead Dom, I couldn't disagree with you more. To me there are two types of music fans. Fans who like music that sounds like nothing they've ever heard (myself & Radiohead), or music that sounds like something you have heard before (my wife & Carrie Underwood).

Jpup
07-26-2008, 04:11 PM
The NFL is fun to watch, but it doesn't hold a candle to baseball. I also don't like hearing about it during the summer. I have pretty much stopped watching ESPN since I have gotten DirecTV. I have plenty of other options. I still watch the Sunday Night Game and the ESPYs were pretty entertaining. I never watch Sportscenter anymore.

improbus
07-26-2008, 04:12 PM
About Yankees vs. Red Sox. While I do feel that their rivalry is overblown to some degree, you cannot deny that their rivalry has a recent history unlike any other (it is historically overblown - I would take Reds vs. Dodgers or Dodgers vs. Giants historically). But, they have a bunch of things that no one else does.
-Their fans participate in the games to a degree that no other rivalry can match in baseball. Every pitch in these games matters. The pressure felt in the stadium is palpable, even on camera.`
-Aaron F. Boone
-Pedro vs. Zimm.
-2004 comeback

redsmetz
07-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree. I like the more complex games too like bridge and even spades. But Euchre is quicker, and a fun to play with family.

Euchre is to wiffle ball as bridge is to baseball. All good times.

I like to play Euchre (we even had a Euchre tournament as a fundraising event for my brother who is running for judge), but I relearned Canasta when I became engaged to my wife. The only time my mother-in-law ever cursed at me was during a canasta game (she said "crap" - I fell out of my chair!). Whenever we head out to Missouri, we play loads of canasta games. It's a little know game anymore, but rivaled bridge in the 50's.

Jpup
07-26-2008, 04:14 PM
About Yankees vs. Red Sox. While I do feel that their rivalry is overblown to some degree, you cannot deny that their rivalry has a recent history unlike any other (it is historically overblown - I would take Reds vs. Dodgers or Dodgers vs. Giants historically). But, they have a bunch of things that no one else does.
-Their fans participate in the games to a degree that no other rivalry can match in baseball. Every pitch in these games matters. The pressure felt in the stadium is palpable, even on camera.`
-Aaron F. Boone
-Pedro vs. Zimm.
-2004 comeback

There isn't anything overrated about the Yankees vs. Red Sox. We could only dream about that as Reds fans. I couldn't wait for the Reds whipping to be over last night so I could watch my DVR'd Yanks game. Beckett vs. Joba.

durl
07-26-2008, 04:17 PM
The Stones? Seriously?

Yep. The World's Greatest Living Rock Band? Can't agree. I had a discussion with a friend recently about that title and he strongly disagreed as well. "First off," he said, "they're not alive..." :D

Lobster? Seriously?

It just doesn't appeal to me. I LOVE seafood but lobster just doesn't register with me.

improbus
07-26-2008, 04:33 PM
There isn't anything overrated about the Yankees vs. Red Sox. We could only dream about that as Reds fans. I couldn't wait for the Reds whipping to be over last night so I could watch my DVR'd Yanks game. Beckett vs. Joba.
I agree, they've won 6 out of the last 12 World Series (and lost two of them), their ballparks are characters on their own, and their games are always meaningful. They play on a different planet than the Reds.

redsfanmia
07-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Yep. The World's Greatest Living Rock Band? Can't agree. I had a discussion with a friend recently about that title and he strongly disagreed as well. "First off," he said, "they're not alive..." :D

I too feel the Stones are very overrated, when was their last good album? Last good song? Live they are terrible.

Betterread
07-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Improbus,
Your list mostly made me chuckle, but I was perplexed by your categorization of wine as "overrated". There are thousands of different wines made from thousands of different grapes. There certainly are differing opinions on specific wines and the categorizations of wine by wine publications or wine critics, but I have honestly never heard of all wine being called overrated. Could you elaborate on what you mean?

cincinnati chili
07-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Improbus,
Your list mostly made me chuckle, but I was perplexed by your categorization of wine as "overrated". There are thousands of different wines made from thousands of different grapes. There certainly are differing opinions on specific wines and the categorizations of wine by wine publications or wine critics, but I have honestly never heard of all wine being called overrated. Could you elaborate on what you mean?

Nighttrain is overrated among the hobo train-jumping community.

Oxilon
07-26-2008, 07:58 PM

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Sure, Radiohead doesn't have some cheesey chorus line in the middle of their songs like some bands (Backstreet boys, are you f'n serious?) but that doesn't mean they're not an enjoyable band to listen to. Not to mention seeing them live will put any other band (with maybe the exception being The Band/Last Waltz) to shame.

Tony Cloninger
07-26-2008, 11:21 PM
I still cannot get over how ESPN purchased? Took over? Destroyed! Classic Sports Network....... bowling? Poker? what the heck is this?

No games that were not done by ESPN?

The arrogance of taking a great channel like that and saying we determine what is classic is... beyond even Kanye West arrogance.

Patrick Bateman
07-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Family Guy

I'd have to say "new" Family Guy. As in it was fabulous before it was canceled. Since it came back it has been a complete rehash with unoriginal jokes. Going the way of the Simpsons. At least the Simpsons lasted a long while before going sour.

Patrick Bateman
07-26-2008, 11:31 PM

She has quite the man voice. Not as in singing voice, but talking. My sister was watching the show and I literally thought a man was talking. Not very attractive on a woman, let alone a child. As she ages, her popularity is going to plummet.

cincinnati chili
07-27-2008, 02:11 AM
She has quite the man voice. Not as in singing voice, but talking. My sister was watching the show and I literally thought a man was talking. Not very attractive on a woman, let alone a child.

Debatable.

Kathleen Turner, circa 1981. Scarlett Johannson, circa right now.

Johnny Footstool
07-27-2008, 02:24 AM
The NBA and NFL drafts. Who cares who is the "top pick"? And what kind of person wastes their entire day wondering if Joe Schmoe will be drafted ahead of Joe Schmoesmith?

Harrison Ford. As Han Solo and "Raiders" Indiana Jones, he's an ace. Beyond that, no range, no nuance, no talent. He made Jack Ryan seem deadly dull.

Rock the Vote. "Hey, it's up to you! Make your voice heard! Get out and vote...for one of two choices, neither of which is all that appealing."

Tea and Coffee. Nevermind the supposed benefits of tea -- it still tastes like dirty water. Coffee, on the other hand, tastes like burned water. If you're filling half your cup with sugar and cream just to make something palatable, maybe you'd be better off just drinking the sugar and cream in the first place.

improbus
07-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Improbus,

The idea of wine is overrated, not necessarily wine itself. The appeal of wine to many is in its "snob" factor. People want to be able to say that they've had a more expensive, exotic, or older wine than someone else as much as they actually enjoy the same wine. Now, I understand that this does NOT apply to everyone. There are many people who like wine for wines sake. But, so much of wines appeal is it exclusivity.

You can say the same thing about music: "I can't believe you've never heard of this band."
You can even say the same thing about beer: "You've never had 'insert obscure beer, how sad...'"

nate
07-27-2008, 11:24 AM

It just doesn't appeal to me. I LOVE seafood but lobster just doesn't register with me.

You shouldn't be eating those "lobsters" they pull out of the Cumberland! ;)

NorrisHopper30
07-27-2008, 12:02 PM
I enjoy every second I spend listening to Radiohead, no way they are overrated. I'm not even a huge critic of music..it's just extremely enjoyable.

Caveat Emperor
07-27-2008, 12:54 PM
"Seinfeld" - Funny, but not nearly the show people rhapsodize about. Also not aging nearly as well as some other great comedies.

Sushi - Coming to the point where you get looked at quizzically if you have the audacity to say "Hey, I just prefer my fish cooked."

thatcoolguy_22
07-27-2008, 01:12 PM
1) Adam Dunn debates on Redszone
2) Starbucks
3) Hip Hop post 1995
4) Complaining about gas prices (people complain about the price for a gallon of regular and then go inside and use the atm which has a 2.50 fee plus pay the 3.50 fee from your bank. Not to mention letting their 15% interest rate on there credit cards crush them finacially, I don't want to hear about it anymore...capeesh?)
5) Seinfeld
6) THE OFFICE... blah
7) Rambo
8) Trans fat
9) Viral Videos
10) Your local cover band
11) Dane Cook (I hate that guy, he made 1 funny joke and reworded it a hundred times into a career)
12) Will Ferrel
13) Star Wars--- ALL OF THEM
14) Crisis in Tibet--- I don't care
15) Our continued presence in Iraq
16) Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or anyone else who preaches on a similar platform
17) CNN

off the top of my head

Falls City Beer
07-27-2008, 01:24 PM
"Seinfeld" - Funny, but not nearly the show people rhapsodize about. Also not aging nearly as well as some other great comedies.

Sushi - Coming to the point where you get looked at quizzically if you have the audacity to say "Hey, I just prefer my fish cooked."

Agree strongly on both counts.

*BaseClogger*
07-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Golf...

...Now running very fast! :eek:

improbus
07-27-2008, 04:02 PM
I know I'm going to cause a riot(but isn't that why we have a message board?;))
1) Jimmy Buffett - 2 songs don't deserve a restaurant, 25 years of continuous touring, and a lifestyle/wardrobe.
2) Dave Matthews - Jimmy Buffett 2.0, just with a few more songs. His songs are okay, but the cult following is obnoxious. His concerts seem like an excuse to relive your freshman year of college.

*BaseClogger*
07-27-2008, 04:03 PM
The color blue...

Razor Shines
07-27-2008, 04:54 PM

Say what you will about my Country, my Mom, my soon to be born son but I will be damned if I am going to let you sit there at your computer and type slightly displeasureable things about Seinfeld. I will fight you. Where can we meet? :)

redsfanmia
07-27-2008, 06:12 PM
I know I'm going to cause a riot(but isn't that why we have a message board?;))
1) Jimmy Buffett - 2 songs don't deserve a restaurant, 25 years of continuous touring, and a lifestyle/wardrobe.

I agree the guy is flat out not good.

GoGoWhiteSox
07-27-2008, 07:03 PM
College Football
The Super Bowl

improbus
07-27-2008, 08:37 PM
College Football
I had a friend from Australia marvel at our love for college sports. He wondered why anyone would spend that much time, energy, and money on an inferior product. You don't see 75,000 at a minor league baseball game or a Cyclones game. His viewpoint really made me wonder why we care so much about college sports, and then it dawned on me. We have a very personal connection. Your favorite sports team should almost always be your undergraduate alma mater (same goes for high school). Everyone in Ohio Stadium on a Saturday either went to OSU, has family that went to OSU, or friends that went to OSU. How many Reds fans have any affiliation with the team? The same question applies to Bengals fans. If you look at it that way, shouldn't all professional sports be overrated?

Highlifeman21
07-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Golf...

Playing, watching, or both?

TC81190
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM

Wow Dom, that may be one of the most incredibly ignorant posts I've ever read, on any forum. it's not even your viewpoint I disagree with. Radiohead is definitely not for everybody. No, my problem lies with the fact that you're presenting your (incredibly flawed, IMO) opinion as fact.

Please don't tell me what I do and do not like.

SunDeck
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
2) Dave Matthews - Jimmy Buffett 2.0, just with a few more songs. His songs are okay, but the cult following is obnoxious. His concerts seem like an excuse to relive your freshman year of college.

I'm with you there. Whenever I hear him say "Hike up your skirt a little more and show the world to me", I feel physically ill. It was even a little dicey having to type it.

Razor Shines
07-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Wow Dom, that may be one of the most incredibly ignorant posts I've ever read, on any forum. it's not even your viewpoint I disagree with. Radiohead is definitely not for everybody. No, my problem lies with the fact that you're presenting your (incredibly flawed, IMO) opinion as fact.

Please don't tell me what I do and do not like.

Like he was the only one in this thread presenting his opinion as fact. It's just his opinion that you feel hip because you listen to Radiohead and that you'd rather listen to the Backstreet Boys. And I find it hilarious that you let it get under your skin.

And I don't even completely agree with his post. Although Radiohead has sucked for a while. I got their online album that they were nearly giving away and then I listened to it and found out why they didn't want to try to sell it. I wanted my $2.00 back.

TC81190
07-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Like he was the only one in this thread presenting his opinion as fact. It's just his opinion that you feel hip because you listen to Radiohead and that you'd rather listen to the Backstreet Boys. And I find it hilarious that you let it get under your skin.

And I don't even completely agree with his post. Although Radiohead has sucked for a while. I got their online album that they were nearly giving away and then I listened to it and found out why they didn't want to try to sell it. I wanted my $2.00 back.
I think there are quite a few people who would disagree with the bolded.

And sorry if I don't enjoy getting the hipster label, because that's pretty much how the context of that post came off towards Radiohead-listeners.

OldRightHander
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
1. Most modern pop music, especially anything with a hip hop influence.

2. Text messaging. Also the awful spelling and acronyms that come from the prevalence of texting.

3. American Idol

4. Cable news

5. Presidential candidates

6. Man made global warming

7. UFC

8. Kevin Costner

9. Gold Star

10. New York City. Fun for a day, but give me some rural scenery any day.

cincinnati chili
07-27-2008, 11:00 PM
I had a friend from Australia marvel at our love for college sports. He wondered why anyone would spend that much time, energy, and money on an inferior product. You don't see 75,000 at a minor league baseball game or a Cyclones game. His viewpoint really made me wonder why we care so much about college sports, and then it dawned on me. We have a very personal connection. Your favorite sports team should almost always be your undergraduate alma mater (same goes for high school). Everyone in Ohio Stadium on a Saturday either went to OSU, has family that went to OSU, or friends that went to OSU. How many Reds fans have any affiliation with the team? The same question applies to Bengals fans. If you look at it that way, shouldn't all professional sports be overrated?

I agree with your friend from Australia. Div. I-A football and Div-I men's basketball puzzle me the most. Many of the players on MOST of these teams don't care a lick about the institutions, don't go to class, don't do anything for your institution besides suck up resources. Yet, somehow fans find them to be an extension of them.

I also don't get the "personal connection" thing, unless you actually went there. My parents met at Indiana U., and I find it bizarre that in some people's minds this could have made me into an I.U. fan by birthright.

Also, as much as pro sports get criticized for turnover and free agency, all college sports teams turnover at a much faster rate. I feel more of a personal connection to Barry Larkin than any of the athletes at I-U, even though I've never met Barry Larkin.

KittyDuran
07-27-2008, 11:01 PM
I think there are quite a few people who would disagree with the bolded.

And sorry if I don't enjoy getting the hipster label, because that's pretty much how the context of that post came off towards Radiohead-listeners.Wow, was actually enjoying this thread because it was all in good fun - until this. Calm down, after Radiohead has been around for 20+ years then it gets better because all the people and critics that couldn't stand them will either be dead or retired (just like Duran Duran)...;) Anyhoo, It's just someone's opinion - just put Dom on ignore... :)

Actually the term hipster (or variations including "hippie") has been used a LONG time for many different reasons but mostly in the culture area. You know you're getting old when you don't like some music (I don't like rap and I don't like Radiohead) and you're kicked to the curb for having no taste. :D

The Baumer
07-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Just wanted to say trying to convince people Radiohead is "unlistenable" or "sucks" is a pretty tall task. Good luck to you few who have decided to bear the most unpopular opinion ever.

As for myself, I'll be here enjoying my 6 (Pablo Honey never happened) GREAT overrated, unlistenable Radiohead records.

Caveat Emperor
07-28-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm with you there. Whenever I hear him say "Hike up your skirt a little more and show the world to me", I feel physically ill. It was even a little dicey having to type it.

"Crash into Me" is actually one of my least favorite Dave Matthews songs. I still like it, but it's nowhere near as good as a lot of their other stuff. Give me "Grey Street", "Seek Up", or "Crush" any day of the week.

DMB, like most music (including the subject of much heat on this thread -- Radiohead), is all about your taste. There is lots of stuff I find unlistenable that other people love, and I recognize that not everyone shares my love for DMB.

Riverbend on Aug. 5th will be the 10th time I've seen them live -- and if I didn't have a job to worry about, I'd be off seeing them again at Alpine in 2 weeks.

*BaseClogger*
07-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Playing, watching, or both?

Definately not playing, as I have much respect for it, but I get so tired of people talking about the PGA, or what equipment they are going to buy, or about this great story at this course. Blah! :)

Dom Heffner
07-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Wow Dom, that may be one of the most incredibly ignorant posts I've ever read, on any forum.

Is this a fact or opinion?

Sorry you didn't like the post. It was meant as a fun rant. It's kind of funny that you took it seriously, since that's sort of what it was ribbing: music fans who take an artist and themselves a little too seriously.

And my post wasn't anymore presented as fact than a Rolling Stone 5 star review.

And, you know, the title of the thread is "Most overrated," which I think everyone here but one person inferred that its intent was to solicit opinions.

I didn't realize I had to put "IMHO" in front of each sentence so that one person out of everyone here wouldn't get offended.

So if it makes you feel better, IMHO Radiohead is crap, IMHO people who listen to it need an ear exam or a taste test, and they have been completely overrated since 1995 or so. "Creep" and "Fake Plastic Trees" are terrific songs (IMHO), but everything since then, IMHO is overrated rubbish.

And IMHO, I really don't care if the hip Radiohead fan gets a grain of sand in his oyster.

It proved my point (But I'll still stand by the inference that this is all just my humble opinion).

Na-na-na-na-doo-doo. :)

cumberlandreds
07-28-2008, 08:43 AM
I still cannot get over how ESPN purchased? Took over? Destroyed! Classic Sports Network....... bowling? Poker? what the heck is this?

No games that were not done by ESPN?

The arrogance of taking a great channel like that and saying we determine what is classic is... beyond even Kanye West arrogance.

You forgot the scrabble tournament that they were showing this weekend. This is an utterly useless channel. You are so right about ESPN detroying it.
I also agree about the NFL and too many commercials. If it wasn't for the pause capability on my DVR I probably wouldn't watch the NFL. I can puase my DVR for about 30 minutes or so. Go do some chores and come back and watch the game. I don't have to sit through 5 minutes on ads between every other play to enjoy the game.

You file this under the "old fogey" category but any type of pop music today is overated. I think it all is crap and can't hold a candle to anythig form the 60's or 70's.

improbus
07-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Dom, you are absolutely correct about your view on music fans and music taste, so let me "slightly" adjust you statement. (pay attention to the italics)

So if it makes you feel better, IMHO Dave Matthews is crap, IMHO people who listen to it need an ear exam or a taste test, and they have been completely overrated since 1995 or so. "Ants Marching" and "Satellite" are terrific songs (IMHO), but everything since then, IMHO is overrated rubbish.

And IMHO, I really don't care if the hip Dave Matthews fan gets a grain of sand in his oyster.

It proved my point (But I'll still stand by the inference that this is all just my humble opinion).

Na-na-na-na-doo-doo. :)

OldRightHander
07-28-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't care for DMB or Radiohead. And I just had to go looking for a clip on the internet to see who this Radiohead is that folks are talking about because I had never heard them before. Not my cup of tea. I'll take classical, jazz, Irish music, (traditional kind) a few things from the 60s and 70s, and a few select country artists I. There's not much new that I care for really, with the odd good song I've heard on XM being the exception.

wolfboy
07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
IMHO, this thread.

paintmered
07-28-2008, 10:30 AM

You're saving some shiek from collecting the profits. Sure, ethanol is imperfect and there are much better sources than corn (and they're being aggressively pursued). But at the end of the day, if I get to choose between my money going to Saudia Arabia or Iowa, I choose Iowa every time. As a country, we're exporting $700 billion a year on oil. Let's keep some of that coin stateside.

BRM
07-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Definately not playing, as I have much respect for it, but I get so tired of people talking about the PGA, or what equipment they are going to buy, or about this great story at this course. Blah! :)

:thumbup:

Ben
07-28-2008, 10:41 AM
The Ohio State University...from faculty to the athletic teams BLECH! I'd rather burn $12,000 in a fire than give another cent to that university

VR
07-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm prouder than ever to say I've never heard of Radiohead!

Viva los 80's!!!

durl
07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
You shouldn't be eating those "lobsters" they pull out of the Cumberland! ;)

You mean lobsters are not supposed to be small and brown? ;)

Falls City Beer
07-28-2008, 11:56 AM
You're saving some shiek from collecting the profits. Sure, ethanol is imperfect and there are much better sources than corn (and they're being aggressively pursued). But at the end of the day, if I get to choose between my money going to Saudia Arabia or Iowa, I choose Iowa every time. As a country, we're exporting $700 billion a year on oil. Let's keep some of that coin stateside.

I guess, though we don't keep our money stateside on about 95% of the products and services we currently consume. No, that dollar may not go to the Middle East, but it certainly doesn't stay in this country anymore. Nothing is produced in this country anymore.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
What do you think is overrated? It can come from any walk of life. Here is my list for starters:
1) NFL - too many commercials, too much coverage,

Agreed one million percent.

cumberlandreds
07-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Viva los 80's!!!

Me either. No idea who or what this is.?.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree with your friend from Australia. Div. I-A football and Div-I men's basketball puzzle me the most. Many of the players on MOST of these teams don't care a lick about the institutions, don't go to class, don't do anything for your institution besides suck up resources. Yet, somehow fans find them to be an extension of them.

I also don't get the "personal connection" thing, unless you actually went there. My parents met at Indiana U., and I find it bizarre that in some people's minds this could have made me into an I.U. fan by birthright.

Also, as much as pro sports get criticized for turnover and free agency, all college sports teams turnover at a much faster rate. I feel more of a personal connection to Barry Larkin than any of the athletes at I-U, even though I've never met Barry Larkin.

College basketball and football provide boatloads of income for the institution. Millions and millions of dollars that the university can channel into scholarships, faculty, and facilities.

PedroBourbon
07-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Arguing about Radiohead on the zone, entirely overrated.

Oh, Starbucks and American Idol as well for sure

NJReds
07-28-2008, 01:53 PM
College basketball and football provide boatloads of income for the institution. Millions and millions of dollars that the university can channel into scholarships, faculty, and facilities.

Basketball and football also spend most of the money. I would guess that 90-95% of all Division I athletic programs do not make money.

cincinnati chili
07-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Correct at your alma matter (IIRC, you're a Kansas alum). Incorrect at most colleges and universities. Football in particular is a big time expenditure and the money is not recouped directly by the institution. The only justification for it would be psychic or indirect benefits (e.g. a wealthy Tulane Univ. alum comes back for the University of Tulane Univ. of football game, and is so pleased by his experience that he gives $1 million to build a new science building).

Warning: this pdf takes a long time to open (http://mup.asu.edu/research2003.pdf), and despite this article being very PRO-intercollegiate athletics, demonstrates that athletics are $$$ losers in most instances.

I'm a firm believer that the psychic and indirect benefits are grossly overstated. If Congress tomorrow BANNED intercollegiate sports from any institution receiving federal funds (but allowed schools to do intramurals), I believe that we'd be a better educated society and we'd get more for our education dollar.

Caveat Emperor
07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm a firm believer that the psychic and indirect benefits are grossly overstated.

Probably.

On the other hand, for lots of schools the only way they ever get high-roller alums back onto campus (where they feel apropriately nostalgic enough to loosen the wallets a little bit) is for a big sporting event of some sort.

Coming from two smaller D1 programs (Tulane and Toledo), I dispise the "more for me, to hell with you" attitudes that major college athletic programs employ. But, that seems to sit well with the major players involved, so it isn't ever going to change.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Correct at your alma matter (IIRC, you're a Kansas alum). Incorrect at most colleges and universities. Football in particular is a big time expenditure and the money is not recouped directly by the institution. The only justification for it would be psychic or indirect benefits (e.g. a wealthy Tulane Univ. alum comes back for the University of Tulane Univ. of football game, and is so pleased by his experience that he gives $1 million to build a new science building).

Warning: this pdf takes a long time to open (http://mup.asu.edu/research2003.pdf), and despite this article being very PRO-intercollegiate athletics, demonstrates that athletics are $$$ losers in most instances.

I'm a firm believer that the psychic and indirect benefits are grossly overstated. If Congress tomorrow BANNED intercollegiate sports from any institution receiving federal funds (but allowed schools to do intramurals), I believe that we'd be a better educated society and we'd get more for our education dollar.

What about recruiting? I'll bet we see a spike in enrollment at KU in the next couple of years thanks to the performance of the football and basketball teams. Those additional tuition dollars are another indirect result of athletics, at least at the big-name schools. And those students eventually become alumni, with sports as their main connection to the university.

*BaseClogger*
07-28-2008, 03:49 PM

Viva los 80's!!!

Oh, that reminds me--The 80's were/are overrated. Give me the 90's movies, music, sports, and styles any day over the 80's... :)

cincinnati chili
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Johnny and Caveat,

I'm not really disputing that athletics can help both recruiting and alumni giving. But how often are they a NET gain? Usually not. Most schools are losing money in the athletics arms race.

Kansas is a bad example because they have great sports teams. And particularly for alums who move to L.A. or Orlando or something, I agree that the best way to get them back to Lawrence on occasion would be to assure that the teams are good.

But most universities aren't Kansas in terms of tradition and quality in intercollegiate athletics. The "arms race" to try to be an Ohio State or a Kansas, when one is not, can decimate an institution.

If the University of Denver or the University of Dayton (as far as I know, both have good academic programs) tried to spend money on recruiting, coaching salaries, and athletic facilities like Ohio State, they'd hurt their institutions. Schools like this are going to lose money on athletics, period (even though the former has had champion hockey teams).

You particularly see it in some of the schools that have moved up to I-A football (e.g. Troy State, UConn). Diverting funds from academic programs or professor salaries in order to move up in a division is usually a bad idea.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Johnny and Caveat,

I'm not really disputing that athletics can help both recruiting and alumni giving. But how often are they a NET gain? Usually not. Most schools are losing money in the athletics arms race.

Kansas is a bad example because they have great sports teams. And particularly for alums who move to L.A. or Orlando or something, I agree that the best way to get them back to Lawrence on occasion would be to assure that the teams are good.

But most universities aren't Kansas in terms of tradition and quality in intercollegiate athletics. The "arms race" to try to be an Ohio State or a Kansas, when one is not, can decimate an institution.

If the University of Denver or the University of Dayton (as far as I know, both have good academic programs) tried to spend money on recruiting, coaching salaries, and athletic facilities like Ohio State, they'd hurt their institutions. Schools like this are going to lose money on athletics, period (even though the former has had champion hockey teams).

You particularly see it in some of the schools that have moved up to I-A football (e.g. Troy State, UConn). Diverting funds from academic programs or professor salaries in order to move up in a division is usually a bad idea.

It cuts both ways, though. Schools like Denver and Dayton don't really have great reputations for sports or academics. You've got to get those tuition dollars somehow.

VR
07-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Oh, that reminds me--The 80's were/are overrated. Give me the 90's movies, music, sports, and styles any day over the 80's... :)

Hello?
Michael Jackson, Madonna,
Mullets, moon boots and Flashdance.

Had to be there to understand!:beerme:

*BaseClogger*
07-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Hello?

I guess so... :laugh:

OldRightHander
07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Hello?

I was there and I'm still not sure if I understand.

Betterread
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't care for DMB or Radiohead. And I just had to go looking for a clip on the internet to see who this Radiohead is that folks are talking about because I had never heard them before. Not my cup of tea.
Listen to Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees". Its soul and truth stand out.

Rojo
09-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Listened to OK Computer, once. It sounded important though.

There are a number of big, portentous movies that I think are just plain bOOOring:

Out of Africa
Dr. Zhivago
The English Patient

And I don't know how highly rated it is, but CSI Miami is maybe the worst TV I've ever seen. Its like one of those USA network cop shows with worse writing/acting/direction and a bigger budget.

I mean does the cast and crew just snort coke and laugh themselves silly as they watch it, not believing what they're getting away with.

NoCalRed
09-16-2008, 11:35 PM
And I don't know how highly rated it is, but CSI Miami is maybe the worst TV I've ever seen. Its like one of those USA network cop shows with worse writing/acting/direction and a bigger budget.

David Caruso has to be one of the worst actors of all time. Everything just seems so forced, well at least in the movies that he makes.

Little OT story here about Mr. Caruso.

He was in a movie once called Jade ooh my it was terrible. It was filmed down in your neck of the woods and just so happened I was living there at the time. One Sunday afternoon it was paticularly sunny so I decided to grab a cup of coffee and head over to Washington square and enjoy the day while I read the paper. As I walked towards the park I noticed there was not very many people milling about, pretty unusual for such a nice day. I look up and there is this fairly attractive well dressed woman walking towards me thinking she must have just come from services at St Peter & Paul Church when I suddenly here "CUT", I look over my shoulder and see an entire film crew there actively filming. The director tells me if I want to watch I'll have to cross the street which I do and watch for a few minutes before I decide I've had my fill. I continue on down the street when I'm far enough away I cross back over the street right by the church and pass a couple of trailors when out pops this little red headed pip squeak. It was David Caruso, I didn't say anything to him, but I should have let him have it for ruining the remake of Kiss of Death.

Razor Shines
09-17-2008, 09:19 PM
David Caruso has to be one of the worst actors of all time. Everything just seems so forced, well at least in the movies that he makes.

Little OT story here about Mr. Caruso.

He was in a movie once called Jade ooh my it was terrible. It was filmed down in your neck of the woods and just so happened I was living there at the time. One Sunday afternoon it was paticularly sunny so I decided to grab a cup of coffee and head over to Washington square and enjoy the day while I read the paper. As I walked towards the park I noticed there was not very many people milling about, pretty unusual for such a nice day. I look up and there is this fairly attractive well dressed woman walking towards me thinking she must have just come from services at St Peter & Paul Church when I suddenly here "CUT", I look over my shoulder and see an entire film crew there actively filming. The director tells me if I want to watch I'll have to cross the street which I do and watch for a few minutes before I decide I've had my fill. I continue on down the street when I'm far enough away I cross back over the street right by the church and pass a couple of trailors when out pops this little red headed pip squeak. It was David Caruso, I didn't say anything to him, but I should have let him have it for ruining the remake of Kiss of Death.
lol The idea of seeing this happen is very amusing to me, and I think I'd love to see it happen to any number of actors. I mean I'm sure all actors get their fair share of "You suck!!" or various other jeers, I'm sure they're used to that kind of stuff. It's boring and not very creative. However, the idea of someone being so put off by a certain performance by a certain actor that they launch into a rehearsed tirade laced with phrases like "you should be ashamed of yourself", "you owe me more than just the money for the ticket" or "You've ruined my life!!". Like you said just "letting him have it".

Kind of off topic. Just something that made me laugh.

Tony Cloninger
09-18-2008, 09:18 AM
I think L & O SUV.......tends to have some over acting....I never thought it was better than Criminal Intent at all. I do think however that any Law and order spin off is better than the CSI ones.

CSI MIami is almost MTV like in it's production.

Mario-Rijo
09-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Hello?

I'm with you, I love me some 80's. The 90's, ehh, they were ok.

Radiohead, I may have heard them once or twice??? Now if you wanna take a crap on hair bands i'm ready to throw down! But OTOH maybe I should just go ahead and back down now even most people who grew up in the 80's didn't like them.

Overrated, hmmm Statistics in general and even Sports themselves. Oh yeah I agree with this crowd, Goldstar and Skyline are awful, it's like eating battery acid on crackers.

bucksfan
09-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Wow - lots of my favorite stuff in life is overrated, not to mention actually put down (which is clearly different than being overrated as others have pointed out).

I can understand people thinking things are overrated when they don't see all that much in them that they like, but just because you don't like them does not make them bad (which is my general issue with so many people's opinions that are presented as fact).

Proud to be a chicken wing eatin', Jimmy Buffett lovin', college sports cheerin', Ohio State alum. (p.s. I am certain I like some "underrated" things too ;) )

Johnny Footstool
09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm with you, I love me some 80's. The 90's, ehh, they were ok.

Radiohead, I may have heard them once or twice??? Now if you wanna take a crap on hair bands i'm ready to throw down! But OTOH maybe I should just go ahead and back down now even most people who grew up in the 80's didn't like them.

Hair bands were wildly popular in the mid to late 80's. Millions and millions of albums sold. Cinderella was my own personal favorite -- good hooks, and great, bluesy guitar work.

A large segment of music fans used to dump on hair bands, but by the mid-90's, many of those same fans had grown tired of "mopey" grunge and were clamoring for the return of feel-good hair metal.

bucksfan
09-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Hair bands were wildly popular in the mid to late 80's. Millions and millions of albums sold. Cinderella was my own personal favorite -- good hooks, and great, bluesy guitar work.

A large segment of music fans used to dump on hair bands, but by the mid-90's, many of those same fans had grown tired of "mopey" grunge and were clamoring for the return of feel-good hair metal.

I'm right there with you on Cinderella. "Long Cold Winter" is one of my favorites.

Johnny Footstool
09-18-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm right there with you on Cinderella. "Long Cold Winter" is one of my favorites.

Lookin' on back, to when I was young.
I tried to sing it, but my song had been sung...

Stephenk29
09-21-2008, 04:20 PM
YANKEE STADIUM

nothing is worth 8 hours of covereage on ESPN

I've been there, wasn't all that great.

Redhook
09-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Heineken. Tastes like a skunk farted in a bottle of water.

GoReds33
09-21-2008, 07:43 PM
YANKEE STADIUM

nothing is worth 8 hours of covereage on ESPN

I've been there, wasn't all that great.I hate to disagree with you, but Yankee Stadium holds more history than any other building in the history of sports. The only way it could be more nostalgic is if they wouldn't have re done it years ago. The beams and ficade were classic. To think that something like that was concieved so long ago is mind-blowing. Yankee Stadium will be missed dearly.

Mario-Rijo
09-23-2008, 06:00 AM

Yeah I liked Cinderella quite a bit. Nobody's Fool was my favorite, I also liked Shake Me. Seems to me i'm missing one of theirs off the top of my head but can't recall which one.

Also liked in particular order - Whitesnake, Dokken, G'N'R, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Poison

I guess you could sorta lump these guys in with them a bit also but they were more metal. Metallica, Megadeath, AC/DC, Motley Crue

I hated Winger, absolutely hated them.

improbus
09-23-2012, 09:01 PM
I started this forum four years ago...yikes. But, I came up with something else. S'mores. They are never good. I have never had one where everything was the right temperature at the same time. Either the marshmallow is too burnt, the chocolate is either too melted or too solid, and the graham cracker isn't all that great.

TeamSelig
09-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Sour cream overrated? GTFO

medford
09-24-2012, 12:18 PM
If you think a S'more is overrated, then you don't know how to make a S'more.

fist, don't limit yourself to a Hershey's bar, you're allowed to expand to a piece of crunch bar, Peanut Butter Cup or a multitude of different things. Not everything is suppose to be the same temperature. Its the contrast in textures, flavors and temperatures that excites your senses.

Of Course the same thing goes for Sour Cream which you dismissed 4 years ago. I'll agree, mixed into a bowl at Chipotle, I find it worthless, however drop a dap into the top of my bowl of chili or Ckn tortilla soup and again its the perfect mix of cool, smooth sour cream w/ warm, spicy and well textured soup.

roller coasters, overrated? Until I get access to a NASA simulator, NASCAR or an F-14 fighter, its as close as I can get to safely harnessing similar G-forces, the feeling of weightlessness, etc...

Graeter's...far from overrated. Regionally, name me someone w/ better more consistant ice cream. Nationally, its relativelly unknown. You can't be overrated if your the best where they know you, and you can't be overrated when few know your name nationally.

Wine...you don't always have to spend big to get a good wine.

sonny
09-24-2012, 01:59 PM
I started this forum four years ago...yikes. But, I came up with something else. S'mores. They are never good. I have never had one where everything was the right temperature at the same time. Either the marshmallow is too burnt, the chocolate is either too melted or too solid, and the graham cracker isn't all that great.

My wife and I made s'mores with Savritz fancy crackers instead if graham crackers. It was scary good.

SunDeck
09-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Ribs. I think ribs are overrated. Sloppy, too much work for the amount of actual sustenance.

What I think might be most underrated is a chocolate milk shake from UDF.

improbus
09-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Part of the danger of posting things on the Internet is that, we'll, you've posted things on the Internet. I am not entirely in agreement with my list of four years ago and am certainly not in love with my holier than thou tone. Oh well.

As for S'mores, you all are probably right in changing the recipe. But, I'm also not a big chocolate guy, so maybe my view is biased.

KittyDuran
09-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Ribs. I think ribs are overrated. Sloppy, too much work for the amount of actual sustenance.

What I think might be most underrated is a chocolate milk shake from UDF.Make it a chocolate malt from UDF and you have my vote... :thumbup:

improbus
09-24-2012, 06:17 PM

Agreed. The opposite is DQ. Their milkshakes are whipped soft serve ice cream with chocolate syrup thrown in. I can make better shakes at home with some 2% milk, some chocolate Breyers, and a little elbow grease. The same goes for Wendy's, McD's, and most other fast food joints.

improbus
09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
If you think a S'more is overrated, then you don't know how to make a S'more.

fist, don't limit yourself to a Hershey's bar, you're allowed to expand to a piece of crunch bar, Peanut Butter Cup or a multitude of different things. Not everything is suppose to be the same temperature. Its the contrast in textures, flavors and temperatures that excites your senses.

Of Course the same thing goes for Sour Cream which you dismissed 4 years ago. I'll agree, mixed into a bowl at Chipotle, I find it worthless, however drop a dap into the top of my bowl of chili or Ckn tortilla soup and again its the perfect mix of cool, smooth sour cream w/ warm, spicy and well textured soup.

roller coasters, overrated? Until I get access to a NASA simulator, NASCAR or an F-14 fighter, its as close as I can get to safely harnessing similar G-forces, the feeling of weightlessness, etc...

Graeter's...far from overrated. Regionally, name me someone w/ better more consistant ice cream. Nationally, its relativelly unknown. You can't be overrated if your the best where they know you, and you can't be overrated when few know your name nationally.

Wine...you don't always have to spend big to get a good wine.
I won't budge on Sour Cream. I just can't add those empty calories to a good meal. I get the contrast, but I just can't do it. Maybe I'm not a true Midwesterner.

As for Graeter's, they are good, don't get me wrong, but I don't have the same quasi-religious devotion to them that many Ohioans seem to have. Jeni's is excellent and I am always partial to the local joints with the questionable names (like the old Whippy Dip in Harrison or the Cream Corner on the far west side of Columbus).

I have somewhat changed my tune on wine. I still prefer beer, but I do enjoy a good red from time to time.

Finally, roller coasters. For the purpose of full disclosure, I get naseous just looking at them. So, perhaps that has colored my view. Also, I don't have an ounce of adrenaline junky in me. Bungee jumping, no thanks. White water rafting, have fun. Mountaineering, send me a postcard. So, perhaps that is why I don't like them all that much. As a side note, my kids are getting to the age where they like riding rides, so I have gladly transitioned to the dad who watches his kids go in circles at 4 mph while the wave at me. It's works out perfectly for both them and for me.

hebroncougar
09-24-2012, 07:05 PM

On that note, I vote crab legs. Too much work, too little meat.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

TeamSelig
09-24-2012, 10:59 PM

Yes!

I always get made fun of whenever I give my opinion of ribs.

sonny
09-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Cigars. There was a point in my life where I really wanted to be an aficionado, but its way too expensive for what it is. I can have one once in a blue moon, but its not the experience some make into into be.

Edit: That being said, my profile pic is not indicative of my lifestyle. :)

SunDeck
09-25-2012, 10:55 AM
On that note, I vote crab legs. Too much work, too little meat.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

The thought had crossed my mind, but then I remembered what a blue crab tastes like and I had to back off. Also, it's possible with practice to make quick work of eating crab legs, but if I had my druthers I'd always go with soft shell.

You could almost say the same about shell fish and shrimp, too. I spent some serious hours on vacation this year de-heading, peeling and de-veining fresh shrimp and shucking oysters. Altogether, not a lot of meat there, but dang it was some good stuff.

Rojo
09-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Cars. Trains, planes, boats are all cooler than you cars.

Captain13
09-25-2012, 02:23 PM
After reading the discussion on Radiohead and DMB, I have decided that anything Rolling Stone Magazine promotes is overrated. I like some Radiohead and all of the old DMB, but they aren't the modern day answer to The Beatles and Pink Floyd...oh no, Rolling Stone probably liked them too. So they aren't the modern day answer to Black Sabbath and Deep Purple (I know Rolling Stone didn't love them).

Cant Touch This
09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Fun thread - glad you dug it up from the past. I find there are two things that guys (pre)tend to love that don't live up to the hype for me. Steak and Strip clubs.

Steak: I expect this to be an unpopular choice. It's not that I don't like steak, but I rarely ever get the satisfaction I feel I should given the price I pay. That, by definition, is overrated. (or I guess overpriced.) I tend to enjoy the sides better than the actual steak, and find that I'm usually happier with the pork chop at half the price.

Strip bars / gentlemen's clubs: Otherwise known as money pits. As much as I appreciate female beauty, and find myself incapable of looking away when an attractive woman crosses my line of sight, I derive no pleasure out of the staged performance where I'm expected to throw away cash. To me it's a simple ROI equation. I'd rather spend my money on the golf course.

A couple of others on my list...

Designer jeans. I had a friend reveal that he spent almost $200 on a pair of jeans. I could follow someone for 10 miles on the same sidewalk and not be able to tell you if s/he were wearing $20 jeans or $200 jeans. Does not compute.

Bluetooth. I read review upon review before buying a bluetooth compatible device. I drive a lot so I like to keep my hands free when I talk. Every ear piece I've purchased let me down, and usually it's the quality on the other end of the line. I can hear everything crystal clear, but the person on the other side can't hear me well. Disappointing. Overrated.

texasdave
09-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Designer jeans. I had a friend reveal that he spent almost $200 on a pair of jeans. I could follow someone for 10 miles on the same sidewalk and not be able to tell you if s/he were wearing $20 jeans or $200 jeans. Does not compute.

Along these lines are the latest Jordan's or LeBron's, etc. 200 plus for a pair of shoes? Normally ugly shoes at that. No, thanks.

westofyou
09-25-2012, 04:52 PM
The Black Keys

Doing stuff other guys have been doing for 50 years.

vaticanplum
09-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Along these lines are the latest Jordan's or LeBron's, etc. 200 plus for a pair of shoes? Normally ugly shoes at that. No, thanks.

I would go on a tangent of why high-end jeans are, at times, one thing worth spending good money on, but I don't know that this is really the right crowd for it.

Cant Touch This
09-25-2012, 06:03 PM
I would go on a tangent of why high-end jeans are, at times, one thing worth spending good money on, but I don't know that this is really the right crowd for it.

I think it's the perfect forum. Maybe I consider them overrated because I haven't been presented with all the facts. I say, present!

improbus
09-25-2012, 06:32 PM
The Black Keys

Doing stuff other guys have been doing for 50 years.

I agree. But that is exactly why they are necessary. My students are always excited when I play them in class and I try to use them as a gateway into other good stuff, both old and new.

Rojo
09-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Women dressing women?

Funny thing about clothes, you can pay 10 times as much for basically the same thing. Except it's not the same thing. There are subtle differences in cut, fit, material, etc... that can make a world of difference. One XL tee-shirt will make me feel like like a fat slob, another XL tee will make me feel like Joe Adonis. What's the difference? Can't put my finger on it.

Also, the first tee-shirt's a liar.

Revering4Blue
09-25-2012, 08:11 PM
*Hot fudge sundaes.

Hot fudge is too thick and gummy and melts the ice cream. Give me plain chocolate sauce any way.

*NBC's previous "must see" Thursday night lineup.

Sorry, I never cared for "Friends" or "Will & Grace." IMHO, in a perfect world, "Friends" and "Will & Grace" would have both died quickly, and quality sitcoms such as "Freaks And Geeks" would have lasted longer than 3/4 of a season.

As for "ER," it wasn't revolutionary at all. IMHO,"St. Elsewhere" featured a much better cast with less melodrama, which is always a plus.

Roy Tucker
09-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Generally speaking, I like ribs. But Montgomery Inn ribs are very overrated. And being treated like cattle is even worse.

Roy Tucker
09-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Generally speaking, I like ribs. But Montgomery Inn ribs are very overrated. And being treated like cattle is even worse.

texasdave
09-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Not if they keep the line Moo-ving. :)

VR
09-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Steak: I expect this to be an unpopular choice. It's not that I don't like steak, but I rarely ever get the satisfaction I feel I should given the price I pay. That, by definition, is overrated. (or I guess overpriced.) I tend to enjoy the sides better than the actual steak, and find that I'm usually happier with the pork chop at half the price.

Google caveman steaks and give it a try. I thought I had mastered the perfect steak.....but this approach set a new standard for me.

Slyder
09-26-2012, 01:24 AM
In honor of the Fail Mary...

My Most overrated for this week is....

The regular NFL officials. Everyone in the media is calling for them but even them in all their "goodness" gave us such brilliance each week that leaves many fans wanting to throw stuff at our tvs. The inexperience showed last night in that 1 in a 1,000,000 situation where that occured and absolutely no one would have NOT had problems with that call.

Boss-Hog
09-26-2012, 11:29 AM
In honor of the Fail Mary...

My Most overrated for this week is....

The regular NFL officials. Everyone in the media is calling for them but even them in all their "goodness" gave us such brilliance each week that leaves many fans wanting to throw stuff at our tvs. The inexperience showed last night in that 1 in a 1,000,000 situation where that occured and absolutely no one would have NOT had problems with that call.
While I agree that the regular refs aren't perfect (which will always be the case as long as the human element is involved), are you insinuating the lack of ability of the replacement refs is being overstated?

Slyder
09-26-2012, 06:45 PM
While I agree that the regular refs aren't perfect (which will always be the case as long as the human element is involved), are you insinuating the lack of ability of the replacement refs is being overstated?

Lack of experience, not so much a lack of ability. Entire crews are being plucked from all levels and thrown together in this, there is no continuity like with the regular refs where you have an idea of just how the crew will call a game.

It would be like me being plucked off the street as a soccer ref and given a crash course of international rules and stuck in the middle of Brazil v Argentina. It makes a difference when you have a veteran to help bring inexperience refs in and hide their inefficiencies.

Boss-Hog
09-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Lack of experience, not so much a lack of ability. Entire crews are being plucked from all levels and thrown together in this, there is no continuity like with the regular refs where you have an idea of just how the crew will call a game.

It would be like me being plucked off the street as a soccer ref and given a crash course of international rules and stuck in the middle of Brazil v Argentina. It makes a difference when you have a veteran to help bring inexperience refs in and hide their inefficiencies.
OK, I agree with all that, but are you saying the replacement refs' performance, regardless the reasons, is overblown? :)

Slyder
09-26-2012, 09:28 PM
OK, I agree with all that, but are you saying the replacement refs' performance, regardless the reasons, is overblown? :)

The replacement refs were in a no win proposition to begin with. I heard on more than 1 media outlet use the dreaded s word when describing the officials. And I am sure listening to the disgust from announcers/commentators/players this season that the sentiment is wider spread. Growing up in a family where both parents were/are members of unions there is no lower life form than that (in those circles).

The players have no respect for these refs (for a number of reasons), without that you are going to fail regardless of how well you may/may not know the rules or how to manage the game/people. That's the same for any other situation. These guys accepted the assignments knowing the situation and I'm sure many knew of the venom they were likely to receive, I personally wouldn't have done it but that's just me and how I was raised about that sort of situation.

I personally think its overblown by people who have agendas (being former players and thus members of the NFLPA, media trying to drive ratings, etc). Its a shame that what happened in Seattle happened because I am sure a more cohesive unit would have gotten that call right but they can't get that cohesion when its only the second or third time that group have probably worked together.

Plus I believe there are those that even if it were ruled as an interception that would be on the radio lambasting the refs that it should have been a mutual possession call and thus Seattle got screwed to push an agenda to get the union refs back to work.

Sorry for high jacking this thread. Or if an admin wants to move this to the NFL officiating thread feel free to.

Boss-Hog
09-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Fair enough...while I don't agree that it's being overblown by most NFL fans (to say nothing of the people you mentioned), I respect your opinion and I'll also bow out to allow this thread to get back on track.

Slyder
09-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Fair enough...while I don't agree that it's being overblown by most NFL fans (to say nothing of the people you mentioned), I respect your opinion and I'll also bow out to allow this thread to get back on track.

feel free to send a pm if you wish to discuss it further.

sonny
09-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Here's some things that are overrated. Led Zeppelin, U2, and Pearl Jam.

Can't stand their throngs of worshipping fans. I'd probably not mind them if they were much less popular.

nismoredlegs
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm with you on U2 and Pearl Jam. But can't agree with you on the Zeppelin.

You seem to have the slight mindset of a hipster, based on your statement. Don't fall into that hole.

Overrated...
Live (at stadium) NFL Games
Chipotle
Sons of Anarchy
Yuengling
Breakfast
Smash Burger
iphone

dougdirt
10-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Public Transportation. It sucks.

WDE
10-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, and One Direction
Iphone 5
Gangnam Style
Feel good stories. It may just be me, but they never make me feel good, but rather annoyed.

cumberlandreds
10-09-2012, 07:51 AM

Totally agree on this one. Nothing kills a good day when the trains or buses are totally screwed up and you can't get to work or home in a decent time. It's not really all that cost efficient either. At least not in DC anyway.

sonny
10-09-2012, 07:52 AM

You seem to have the slight mindset of a hipster, based on your statement. Don't fall into that hole.

Thanks for the warning. I also despise hipsters.

texasdave
10-09-2012, 05:16 PM

Overrated...
Live (at stadium) NFL Games
Chipotle
Sons of Anarchy
Yuengling
Breakfast
Smash Burger
iphone

Definitely Chipotle.

Rojo
10-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Not if you like reading or drinking. (And I like both).

westofyou
10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Not if you like reading or drinking. (And I like both).

Or actually have quality PT

dougdirt
10-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Or actually have quality PT

I can only speak for it in Chicago, DC and Baltimore.... but it all sucks.

Dom Heffner
10-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Sometimes hype can make you hate something. I used to think Led Zeppelin were overrated, now I think they are a religious experience.

Not much compares for me.

Prince on the other hand....overrated.

blumj
10-15-2012, 06:06 PM
I can only speak for it in Chicago, DC and Baltimore.... but it all sucks.
FWIW, it's roughly a million times better than driving and parking if you happen to be in Boston.

Rojo
10-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Prince on the other hand....overrated.

.....said the late 80's.

Boston Red
10-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Schools like Denver and Dayton don't really have great reputations for sports or academics.

This is old...but quite wrong. Dayton and Denver both have excellent academic reputations. Particularly Denver.

Rojo
10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Backyard burgers. What do people see in a singed meatball on too-chunky bun.

Fastfood has it right -- a flat burger on a bun that fits. The idea is to get a mouthful of everything -- burger, bun, condiments, lettuce, tomato, etc.... -- in every bite.

They also get fries right. Small fries give you a great ratio of golden, delicious surface to bland starchiness. Those awful big planky fries? Those are for seagulls.

improbus
10-19-2012, 06:42 PM
This is old...but quite wrong. Dayton and Denver both have excellent academic reputations. Particularly Denver.

So does Miami (Fl.)

marcshoe
10-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Kidney stone cures or preventatives. Every Freaking One of Them.

Salukifan2
10-20-2012, 06:21 PM
-The Brett Favre story

This post puts into words everything i've ever though about the NFL. You sir, have imo spoken more truth in this post than any post before it

joshua
10-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Kidney stone cures or preventatives. Every Freaking One of Them.

As a man who suffers from kidney stone disease (I've had them 13 different times) I have to agree. I've tried every "cure" and diet change and none of that **** works. Shots of vinegar every day, whole lemons squeezed into water every day, avoiding nealy every food you can think of...the only thing that's slows down their formation for me is drinking two gallons of water a day. That's it.

As for overrated stuff

The NFL

The Beatles

Cable News/politics (they're all equally full of it. I think all these bastards work together)

Facebook

Frisch's

Logan's Steakhouse

And I agree with everyone in this thread who says Radiohead is overrated. I remember reading an interview where Thom Yorke was talking crap about his fan base when they wanted him to sing a particular song live because he doesn't think they "get it" since the song is so "painful" for him. That is the ultimate example of being a pretentious *****. God forbid your fans, who are the sole reason you are millionaires, want to see you perform a song they enjoy. Before that moment I would probably say they just aren't my style, now its pretty obvious to me that they are being arty and weird for the sake of it. What a load a crap.

marcshoe
10-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Family Guy. Started off funny, but became full of its trendy self. It's given in to nihilism. South Park has an actual pov, but FG has all the cutting edge humor of a seventh grader.

Strangely enough, I find American Dad funny.

marcshoe
10-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Listened to OK Computer, once. It sounded important though.

There are a number of big, portentous movies that I think are just plain bOOOring:

Out of Africa
Dr. Zhivago
The English Patient

I mean does the cast and crew just snort coke and laugh themselves silly as they watch it, not believing what they're getting away with.

I hated The English Patient before Elaine did.

reds1869
10-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Backyard burgers. What do people see in a singed meatball on too-chunky bun.

Fastfood has it right -- a flat burger on a bun that fits. The idea is to get a mouthful of everything -- burger, bun, condiments, lettuce, tomato, etc.... -- in every bite.

They also get fries right. Small fries give you a great ratio of golden, delicious surface to bland starchiness. Those awful big planky fries? Those are for seagulls.

I had a burger and fries at Ruth's Chris during happy hour (aka the only time I can afford the place). They get it right if you've never had one.

Wonderful Monds
10-22-2012, 04:24 PM
As a man who suffers from kidney stone disease (I've had them 13 different times) I have to agree. I've tried every "cure" and diet change and none of that **** works. Shots of vinegar every day, whole lemons squeezed into water every day, avoiding nealy every food you can think of...the only thing that's slows down their formation for me is drinking two gallons of water a day. That's it.

As for overrated stuff

The NFL

The Beatles

Cable News/politics (they're all equally full of it. I think all these bastards work together)

Facebook

Frisch's

Logan's Steakhouse

And I agree with everyone in this thread who says Radiohead is overrated. I remember reading an interview where Thom Yorke was talking crap about his fan base when they wanted him to sing a particular song live because he doesn't think they "get it" since the song is so "painful" for him. That is the ultimate example of being a pretentious *****. God forbid your fans, who are the sole reason you are millionaires, want to see you perform a song they enjoy. Before that moment I would probably say they just aren't my style, now its pretty obvious to me that they are being arty and weird for the sake of it. What a load a crap.

That is factually incorrect, and the interview in which you are referring to is not Thom Yorke "talking crap" about the fan base. He was referring to the song Street Spirit and the fact that it was bizarre to him to see crowds of people excited and happy to hear the song, when only he knew (having wrote it) just how dark it was.

Rojo
10-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Family Guy. Started off funny, but became full of its trendy self. It's given in to nihilism. South Park has an actual pov, but FG has all the cutting edge humor of a seventh grader.

Really? Family Guy started as a pale Simpsons rip off then became pretty dam funny. South Park was and is witless.

dougdirt
10-22-2012, 06:05 PM
South Park and Family Guy are both fantastic.

Slyder
10-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Really? Family Guy started as a pale Simpsons rip off then became pretty dam funny. South Park was and is witless.

Different strokes for different folks. I personally love Family Guy (Stewie and Brian should have gotten the spin off IMO) and South Park (although more of passing interest).

marcshoe
10-22-2012, 06:50 PM
To me, Family Guy just doesn't care about anything. That, and I'm not sure they've ever, at the core, told more than two jokes. I didn't like South Park at first, mostly because I have trouble understanding anything Cartman says, but a few outstanding episodes have made me reconsider. What other cartoon has featured an in character guest appearance by Cthulhu (on an episode that leant some pathos to Kenny's plight, nonetheless?)

But yeah, it's personal taste. I've found very few people who agree with me on this.

Rojo
10-22-2012, 06:52 PM
To me, Family Guy just doesn't care about anything.

So you like the "moral of the story" endings of South Park? Ick.

marcshoe
10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Not really; stated morals tend to be suspect anyway. What I'm talking about is how that the highest value on Family Guy is the crass, juvenile laugh line.

fwiw, I'm not really a huge South Park fan. While I can name several intelligent, funny episode, there are also several that make me change channels immediately. I do have to give the show credit for showing some intelligence and not going after the lowest common denominator, though. Family Guy, not so much.

westofyou
10-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Beatles overrated?

Funniest thing ever typed

Dom Heffner
10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
That is factually incorrect, and the interview in which you are referring to is not Thom Yorke "talking crap" about the fan base. He was referring to the song Street Spirit and the fact that it was bizarre to him to see crowds of people excited and happy to hear the song, when only he knew (having wrote it) just how dark it was.

Radiohead is like an Atom Egoyan book.

Everyone raves, I can't get through it. And I've tried.

But there is hope: I used to hate Zeppelin and Bowie, now I can't get enough.

Revering4Blue
10-22-2012, 09:03 PM
I'll get flamed for this... ACC Basketball.

Face it.. America's so-called "premier" College BBall Conference has been a two-team league for years and has been vastly overrated from a top-to-bottom standpoint.

That stated, a reinvigorated N.C State program along with the future additions of Syracuse and Notre Dame may well change that.

mth123
10-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Beatles overrated?

No kidding.

Slyder
10-23-2012, 12:40 AM
I'll get flamed for this... ACC Basketball.

Face it.. America's so-called "premier" College BBall Conference has been a two-team league for years and has been vastly overrated from a top-to-bottom standpoint.

That stated, a reinvigorated N.C State program along with the future additions of Syracuse and Notre Dame may well change that.

You're kidding right? You think Tobacco Road will let Syracuse play the style that has made their program a premier one (read Big East basketball)? I don't see a BC style collapse from Syracuse but at the same time I don't see them being allowed to dominate over the Chosen Ones in Blue (UNC/Duke). Also nice slight of Pittsburgh but thats easy as they haven't done crap in the tourney in a number of years.

But alas I agree with you the ACC has fallen mightly and is only held up because Duke's allowed to flop around like a fish out of water come tournament time.

dougdirt
10-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Beatles overrated?

I am with the OP. I simply don't get the appeal. Maybe it would make more sense if I grew up in the 60's, but I listen to them and I just can't keep listening. It isn't special, it doesn't "make my ears happy".

westofyou
10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
I am with the OP. I simply don't get the appeal. Maybe it would make more sense if I grew up in the 60's, but I listen to them and I just can't keep listening. It isn't special, it doesn't "make my ears happy".

They only redefined the genre twice, laid ground work for artists to write their own songs.

Isn't special?

I guess you could say that.

One thing for sure the Beatles are bigger than the 60's.

By October 1972, the Beatlesí worldwide sales total stood at 545 million units. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1 billion units worldwide.

dougdirt
10-23-2012, 01:13 PM
They only redefined the genre twice, laid ground work for artists to write their own songs.

Isn't special?

By October 1972, the Beatlesí worldwide sales total stood at 545 million units. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1 billion units worldwide.

I am not saying they weren't important. Plenty of my favorite bands cite them as influences. I am saying that I simply don't get it. Compared to what I have been listening to my entire life, with my musical tastes, I would rather just turn them off and put something else on.

improbus
10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
You're kidding right? You think Tobacco Road will let Syracuse play the style that has made their program a premier one (read Big East basketball)? I don't see a BC style collapse from Syracuse but at the same time I don't see them being allowed to dominate over the Chosen Ones in Blue (UNC/Duke). Also nice slight of Pittsburgh but thats easy as they haven't done crap in the tourney in a number of years.

But alas I agree with you the ACC has fallen mightly and is only held up because Duke's allowed to flop around like a fish out of water come tournament time.

It will be fun to see the Cuse run that zone in a league that can actually shoot.

Dom Heffner
10-23-2012, 11:26 PM

Isn't special?

I'm not a big Beatles guy, but you can't overrate them. It's impossible to downplay their significance, impossible to overstate their influence.

I'm more of a Stones fan, but the Beatles are simply the second biggest act in rock history.

The DARK
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Hate to say it, but I agree here. If you've been to any city known for classic ribs, you'll realize that it's nothing special.

Classic rock on the whole gets a nod from me here as well. You've got plenty of classic artists that still hold up today (CCR, Zeppelin, Stones, Who), but eventually you come to realize just how many imitators hit it big with completely bland stuff. Bad Company, The Eagles, most everything from the 80's... much of the stuff worth listening to from that era would never get played on classic rock radio.

Wonderful Monds
10-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm not a big Beatles guy, but you can't overrate them. It's impossible to downplay their significance, impossible to overstate their influence.

I'm more of a Stones fan, but the Beatles are simply the second biggest act in rock history.

Second? I'm more of the mind that they're the undisputed number 1.

I tend to agree though, I'm not as big of a fan as others are of The Beatles. I do think their music is good. It's not hard to understand why they were big; they were the first to do what they did. But their musical style has been copied wholesale an infinite number of times by now, so it's kind of hard for the magic of that sound to *not* be diluted to younger generations.

marcshoe
10-24-2012, 05:51 PM
A guy once posted on The History Channel boards that he thought Shakespeare was overrated because he filled his plays with cliches.

He was serious.

I feel the same way when people criticize The Beatles.

btw, not being from Cincinnati, I've never tried Montgomery Inn ribs mostly because I've heard a lot of people say they're overrated. Interesting to see the same thoughts here. fwiw, I had some great ribs at a place in southern Mississippi last year called The Shed, and it burned down a few days later.

I just checked their website, though, and it appears to still be standing. I guess a tin shack isn't hard to rebuild.

fearofpopvol1
10-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Never joined this thread before, but just off the top of my head...

-Big 10 Football (especially OSU)
-Apple Products
-Some (though not all) HBO original programming
-Ryan Lochte (or at least he was leading up to and during the Olympics)

Rojo
10-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Some (though not all) HBO original programming

Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of the latest "best show in televsion", not just confined to HBO.

A lot of these shows are just serial dramas dressed up for an audience other than housewifes or teenage girls. Yeah, you get into the show. That's the way serial dramas work. It doesn't make them Ibsen.

The Sopranos was great, The Wire was very good, if uneven. A lot of the rest (Breaking Bad, MadMen, etc...) are way overrated.

fearofpopvol1
10-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of the latest "best show in televsion", not just confined to HBO.

A lot of these shows are just serial dramas dressed up for an audience other than housewifes or teenage girls. Yeah, you get into the show. That's the way serial dramas work. It doesn't make them Ibsen.

The Sopranos was great, The Wire was very good, if uneven. A lot of the rest (Breaking Bad, MadMen, etc...) are way overrated.

Agree on The Sopranos. I liked Entourage a lot, at least the first 4-5 seasons. But now it seems like HBO (style) shows are all about shock value. Which program can insert the most profanity, senseless nudity and shocking violence. Give me substance every day of the week first and foremost.

OldRightHander
10-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Walt's Hitching Post over in Kentucky had darn good ribs until they closed.

SunDeck
10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Connectivity is overrated.

Boss-Hog
10-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Walt's Hitching Post over in Kentucky had darn good ribs until they closed.

Seconded on this and the Sopranos (both definitely NOT overrated).

wolfboy
10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Agree on The Sopranos. I liked Entourage a lot, at least the first 4-5 seasons. But now it seems like HBO (style) shows are all about shock value. Which program can insert the most profanity, senseless nudity and shocking violence. Give me substance every day of the week first and foremost.

I agree.

Dom Heffner
10-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Second? I'm more of the mind that they're the undisputed number 1.

I tend to agree though, I'm not as big of a fan as others are of The Beatles. I do think their music is good. It's not hard to understand why they were big; they were the first to do what they did. But their musical style has been copied wholesale an infinite number of times by now, so it's kind of hard for the magic of that sound to *not* be diluted to younger generations.

Elvis Presley had double their chart success. I've said this before and I think it bears repeating:

At one point Billboard's top 5 artists of all time included the Beatles and Paul McCartney and Wings.

If you combined their points, they still didn't equal Elvis. Number 1 was better than 2 and 4 combined.

I guess you can argue that chart success doesn't mean anything, and I'm sure that there are many lists where the Beatles are on top.

But 100 plus top 40 hits all by yourself is pretty tough to beat.

George Anderson
10-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Starbucks....Way over priced crap. Dunkin Donuts is cheaper and better.

Wrigley Field....Its a frat house with horrible bathrooms. Oh but they have vines growing on their outfield walls...how lovely.

Jack In the Box...We just had one come to Indy. Everyone was making a big deal about it but it is the worst fast food I have ever had.

Will Ferrell....I have watched several of his movies but I have never laughed once.

westofyou
10-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Jack in the Box?? Geez that's been crap since the 60's!

George Anderson
10-26-2012, 12:45 PM

We had a location open up about a year ago and I swear it was packed to the gills for months. There were always cops outside directing traffic it was so packed. I finally tried a hamburger and I couldn't finish it was so bad. Trust me, I have never done that before.

10-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Agree on The Sopranos. I liked Entourage a lot, at least the first 4-5 seasons. But now it seems like HBO (style) shows are all about shock value. Which program can insert the most profanity, senseless nudity.

No such thing ;)

10-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Their food is worse than their commercials are good. We all called it Jack In The Crack growing up.

redsfanmia
10-26-2012, 04:08 PM
We had a location open up about a year ago and I swear it was packed to the gills for months. There were always cops outside directing traffic it was so packed. I finally tried a hamburger and I couldn't finish it was so bad. Trust me, I have never done that before.

The last Burger I had from there tasted like a bad sausage patty, I do like the taco's though.

Wonderful Monds
10-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Spot on. I, specifically, am not blown away by Breaking Bad as seemingly everyone else on the planet is anymore.

Everything has to be the greatest or the worst now.

George Anderson
10-26-2012, 04:35 PM
The last Burger I had from there tasted like a bad sausage patty, I do like the taco's though.

Did you go to the one near Greenwood Park Mall or the one on the east side??

I tried to go there several times when they first opened but it was like a 45 minute wait. I think the bloom is off the rose because they don't seem crowded now at all.

Wonderful Monds
10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Elvis Presley had double their chart success. I've said this before and I think it bears repeating:

At one point Billboard's top 5 artists of all time included the Beatles and Paul McCartney and Wings.

If you combined their points, they still didn't equal Elvis. Number 1 was better than 2 and 4 combined.

I guess you can argue that chart success doesn't mean anything, and I'm sure that there are many lists where the Beatles are on top.

But 100 plus top 40 hits all by yourself is pretty tough to beat.

Sure thing, but Elvis didn't have very strong competition for those spots. Not that The Beatles particularly did either, but it was a bit more by their time.

I'm also more inclined to give the edge to The Beatles, seeing as their music was a bit more artistically sincere, and as such, has remained very relevant even long after their career ended. The Beatles still influence tons of artists.

btw, are those American chart numbers or worldwide charts? I'd never heard that number before.

Rojo
10-26-2012, 05:12 PM
I do like the taco's though.

I know they're awful but I can't resist. I think they're made with magick.

marcshoe
10-26-2012, 06:02 PM
I've eaten at Jack exactly once. Up to now I've assumed I just ordered the wrong item on the menu.

OldRightHander
10-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Most contemporary pop music.

Rojo
10-26-2012, 06:52 PM
After the Alpha-Beta-Gamma of McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's there's a geographic battle for the Delta spot: Jack-in-the-Box and Carl's in the West, Hardee's in the South and Midwest, Kristal in the Deep South, White Castle on the East Coast.

Dom Heffner
10-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Sure thing, but Elvis didn't have very strong competition for those spots. Not that The Beatles particularly did either, but it was a bit more by their time.

I'm also more inclined to give the edge to The Beatles, seeing as their music was a bit more artistically sincere, and as such, has remained very relevant even long after their career ended. The Beatles still influence tons of artists.

btw, are those American chart numbers or worldwide charts? I'd never heard that number before.

If no competition were the case, Franki Valli would have 100 plus Billboard chartings....so would Connie Francis. Brenda Lee.

And Elvis charted all through the 1960s and 1970s...

the charts I cite are US. Over 100 top 100 hits...it's impressive.

I think Elvis is the top selling artist of all time worldwide- over a billion sold.

Having said all that, most of the rock critics would agree with you. It's a parlor game and it's all about taste.

redsfanmia
10-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Did you go to the one near Greenwood Park Mall or the one on the east side??

I tried to go there several times when they first opened but it was like a 45 minute wait. I think the bloom is off the rose because they don't seem crowded now at all.

The one in Greenwood, the east side one is impossible to get in and out of.

Wonderful Monds
10-27-2012, 02:50 AM
If no competition were the case, Franki Valli would have 100 plus Billboard chartings....so would Connie Francis. Brenda Lee.

And Elvis charted all through the 1960s and 1970s...

the charts I cite are US. Over 100 top 100 hits...it's impressive.

I think Elvis is the top selling artist of all time worldwide- over a billion sold.

Having said all that, most of the rock critics would agree with you. It's a parlor game and it's all about taste.

Not to discount what you've said, but I imagine a lot of that has to do with Elvis being an American artist topping American charts, and the Beatles being the Brit band, Elvis got a head start here, they got theirs back in the UK.

camisadelgolf
10-27-2012, 03:51 AM
Speaking of television shows, I don't understand how people can call Two and a Half Men a tolerable show, let alone a good one. It's some of the worst TV I've ever seen, and that's really saying something coming from a guy who grew up with soap operas.

Dom Heffner
10-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Speaking of television shows, I don't understand how people can call Two and a Half Men a tolerable show, let alone a good one. It's some of the worst TV I've ever seen, and that's really saying something coming from a guy who grew up with soap operas.

You can see the punchlines coming like a 747...

gonelong
10-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Beatles overrated?

One of the things I am very much looking forward to is to see how the Beatles are viewed by the general population once the Boomers are all in the grave. Obviously they won't just disappear or become irrelevant ... but how much,if at all, will time erode their memory/influence/standing? Will the become even more revered?

GL

Red in Chicago
10-27-2012, 11:30 AM

The entire concept of the show after Charlie's demise is ridiculous.

TeamSelig
11-07-2012, 10:31 PM

Not that I am the biggest Two and a Half Men fan, but I think I literally disagree with every post of yours that I have ever read. lol. We are polar opposites in every view of life, except for our love of the Reds.

camisadelgolf
11-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Not that I am the biggest Two and a Half Men fan, but I think I literally disagree with every post of yours that I have ever read. lol. We are polar opposites in every view of life, except for our love of the Reds.
The people who disagree with me the most are the ones I tend to have the most respect for.
:beerme:

texasdave
11-09-2012, 09:35 AM
The people who disagree with me the most are the ones I tend to have the most respect for.

How do you feel about the people who loathe you then? :laugh:

RFS62
11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
One of the things I am very much looking forward to is to see how the Beatles are viewed by the general population once the Boomers are all in the grave. Obviously they won't just disappear or become irrelevant ... but how much,if at all, will time erode their memory/influence/standing? Will the become even more revered?

GL

Their social significance is just as impressive as their catalogue, IMO.

I think they have a place in history in both regards.

I remember the shock wave sent around the world when their look changed from the "mop top" look, all wearing the same suit on stage, to the new "hippie" version.

Of course their music changed as well, and changed rock and roll forever.

No discussion of America in the 20th century is complete without the Beatles and their many influences. The Beatles WERE the 60's.

puca
11-09-2012, 10:10 AM

I used to watch it years ago and liked it. Last season I didn't watch it at all. The three times I attempted to watch it this season I haven't been able to get past the first 5 minutes. I doubt I will try again.

camisadelgolf
11-09-2012, 10:53 AM
How do you feel about the people who loathe you then? :laugh:
Someone doesn't loathe me?

*BaseClogger*
11-12-2012, 10:11 AM
After the Alpha-Beta-Gamma of McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's there's a geographic battle for the Delta spot: Jack-in-the-Box and Carl's in the West, Hardee's in the South and Midwest, Kristal in the Deep South, White Castle on the East Coast.

Since when is White Castle an East Coast thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Krystal-vs-whitecastle-locations-map.png

edit: it also seems like Sonic and Culver's are making a run at the traditional powers...

blumj
11-22-2012, 08:00 AM
You know what's NOT overrated at all? Thanksgiving, everyone have a happy and safe one.

dougdirt
11-22-2012, 09:58 AM
You know what's NOT overrated at all? Thanksgiving, everyone have a happy and safe one.

You as well! :beerme:

bigredmechanism
11-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks, and you do the same.

As for the topic, I think the show Arrested Development is over rated.

My cousin bought me seasons 1 and 2 a couple of years ago, and I made it about halfway through S1 before I lost interest completely. I've had probably close to a dozen people tell me that it is the funniest show on television, but I just don't see why. There were parts that were funny, for sure, but as a whole I just didn't think it was very good.

OldRightHander
11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Maybe it's not really overrated, but I don't understand how anyone can actually prefer white meat over dark meat. Give me the drumsticks and the rest of you can have the breast.

improbus
11-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Maybe it's not really overrated, but I don't understand how anyone can actually prefer white meat over dark meat. Give me the drumsticks and the rest of you can have the breast.

+1

George Anderson
11-23-2012, 12:22 PM

I think turkey is overrated.

I prefer ham, roast beef or even salami to turkey.

improbus
11-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I think turkey is overrated.

I prefer ham, roast beef or even salami to turkey.

bucksfan2
11-23-2012, 02:01 PM

I love me some dark meat. I am the only one in my family who likes it so I get my fill.

bigredmechanism
11-23-2012, 02:21 PM

While people quibble over the drumsticks, I stockpile on white meat goodness. Superior in every way.

Rojo
11-23-2012, 07:49 PM
If you prefer white meat, you should think about going vegan.

I like dark meat, lamb, game and fishy fish. I wants to taste my animals.

bigredmechanism
11-23-2012, 08:43 PM

Inferior meat.

OldRightHander
11-23-2012, 09:33 PM

I'm with you there. I eat a lot of lamb and I love strong fish, and duck occasionally as well.

Larry Schuler
11-23-2012, 10:11 PM
If you guys eat any part of the meat you're just doing it all wrong. It's about chewing the bones & slurping out the sweet marrow. Only way to dine.

camisadelgolf
11-24-2012, 04:18 AM
If you guys eat any part of the meat you're just doing it all wrong. It's about chewing the bones & slurping out the sweet marrow. Only way to dine.
Yup. And don't bother with destroying the food by cooking any of it either.

GAC
11-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Elvis was a trailblazer. Rock and roll did not exist in the white consciousness until Elvis Presley brought it into acceptance. Popular music since (especially rock n roll) was spawned from Elvis. It was the 50s, and people, especially whites (teens), never heard or seen a man do such things before. He was an originator and quite unique. Could one say "No Elvis, then no Beatles?" I think one could. Everyone had their mentor, those that influenced them.

But could Elvis be considered an artist? He didn't write his own music, and was an adequate rhythm guitar player (it became more of a prop). His forte was in performing and delivery. And yep, boy could he deliver.

And Dylan was also a great influence on the Beatles. But the Beatles, IMO, were a very progressive band.

Here are a couple good articles on Lennon and Elvis, and when the Beatles met him....

http://features.absoluteelsewhere.net/ZeKingandI/ze_king_and_i.html

http://features.absoluteelsewhere.net/ZeKingandI/john_talks_meeting.html

Lennon's song "Starting Over" was John getting back to his roots, and done ala Elvis.

Hap
11-24-2012, 11:40 AM
I have to agree with Mr. GAC about Elvis. And I would simply like to state that I believe Elvis was much more talented than he was allowed to show himself to be. The studio and the industry manipulated his talent and molded it into what they perceived he should be.

Bob Sheed
11-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I just watched a special called "Elvis '56" about the year that he really took off.

It showed quite a few performances from that year, and I have to agree... I'm not sure how much of it was really about the music.

It went pretty much like:
1. 1st verse and refrain: sing with the whole "sneer" thing.
2. Solo: run around and convulse randomly while lead guitar guy plays a few licks
3. 2nd verse and refrain: back to the sneer

Seriously...I actually found it a bit odd. And I found myself drawing more similarities and comparisons of Elvis to Justin Bieber than Elvis to the Beatles.