PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Nady removed from 2nd Inning

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 08:32 PM
With no apparent injury, it looks like he might have been traded.

redhawk61
07-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Nady and Marte to the Yanks per baseball prospectus

Jones1
07-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Nady is having a great year he will really help the yanks.

redsfanmia
07-25-2008, 10:08 PM
He would look great in the Reds outfield.

DoubleA_Ron
07-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Unfortunatly a solid pickup by the Yankees. The Rays really need to do something or we're all in store for yet another New York-Boston love-fest from now till the end of the season

Kingspoint
07-25-2008, 10:56 PM
If you want to see the 3 players' bios of what the Pirates got for Nady, here they are:

Phil Coke:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Phil%20Coke&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=457435

George Kontos:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=George%20Kontos&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502004

Jose Tabata:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jose%20Tabata&pos=CF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=467798

07-25-2008, 11:18 PM
If you want to see the 3 players' bios of what the Pirates got for Nady, here they are:

Phil Coke:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Phil%20Coke&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=457435

George Kontos:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=George%20Kontos&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502004

Jose Tabata:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jose%20Tabata&pos=CF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=467798

The Pirates also got right-handers Ross Ohlendorf in the deal.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/ohlenro01.shtml

He was the key to the Randy Johnson deal. Hard throwing righty.

Still, that was not a very good return for the Pirates for two of the most sought after mlb players this deadline.

I think it shows why Jocketty might be looking at Street and Sherrill, since the market is so low for sellers right now. Maybe he thinks he can pick up some good talent below market value.

Newman4
07-26-2008, 01:50 AM
No sure fire top prospects there. Pirates and the Nats have set the market rather low.

Ghosts of 1990
07-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Of course it was the yankees. I mean did they REALLY need xavier nady? Will they even be able to find a spot for him

Old NDN
07-26-2008, 08:21 AM
As per MLB Traderumors, the Yanks are now interested in Dunn. How about Dunn and one of our catchers for Nady and Hughes/Kennedy?

Revering4Blue
07-26-2008, 01:03 PM
According to the New York Post, the Pirates will be getting Daniel McCutchen and Jeff Karstens along with Jose Tabata and Ross Ohlendorf from the Yankees for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte.
It was widely reported last night (including by the Post itself) that George Kontos and Phil Coke were in the deal in place of McCutchen and Karstens. This is clearly better for the Pirates. McCutchen is arguably the Yankees' best remaining pitching prospect, though he's not a big upside guy and he doesn't rank with Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy. Karstens isn't much more than middle relief fodder, but neither was Coke.
Source: New York Post

improbus
07-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Did anyone realize that the Pirates have scored the 6th most runs in MLB? Who knew?
But, you could argue that McLouth, Nady, and Bay was the best 1-2-3 outfield in baseball.

Nady - .333 avg. 13 HR's 57 RBI's, .919 OPS
McLouth - .277 avg. 21 HR's 70 RBI's, .884 OPS
Bay - .289 avg. 22 HR's, 60 RBI's, .920 OPS

Very impressive

Johnny Cueto
07-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Pirates fans have to be about to throw themselves off a cliff haha. This trade will set them back another 5 years, and welcome them back to the cellar.

Brutus
07-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Of course it was the yankees. I mean did they REALLY need xavier nady? Will they even be able to find a spot for him

Actually, it looks like Matsui could be out for the season, Melky Cabrera has been a disappointment and Abreu inconsistent. I'd say they very much need Nady.

As far as the Dunn rumors... I imagine those were only legitimate before the Nady trade. I doubt now the Yankees have any use for Dunn.

07-26-2008, 02:58 PM
According to the New York Post, the Pirates will be getting Daniel McCutchen and Jeff Karstens along with Jose Tabata and Ross Ohlendorf from the Yankees for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte.
It was widely reported last night (including by the Post itself) that George Kontos and Phil Coke were in the deal in place of McCutchen and Karstens. This is clearly better for the Pirates. McCutchen is arguably the Yankees' best remaining pitching prospect, though he's not a big upside guy and he doesn't rank with Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy. Karstens isn't much more than middle relief fodder, but neither was Coke.
Source: New York Post

It is better in the way that acquiring Majewski is better than acquiring Coffey. Yeah, he 's better, but neither one makes an impact for the Pirates.

I now understand why Jocketty is hanging on to his players. I wouldn't want any of the players the Pirates got for Dunn, and Marte was kinda thrown in, which says something of the value of relief pitchers.

Brutus
07-26-2008, 03:03 PM
It is better in the way that acquiring Majewski is better than acquiring Coffey. Yeah, he 's better, but neither one makes an impact for the Pirates.

I now understand why Jocketty is hanging on to his players. I wouldn't want any of the players the Pirates got for Dunn, and Marte was kinda thrown in, which says something of the value of relief pitchers.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Relief pitchers have been going for a ton the past few years. In fact, the reason (I think) Marte was thrown in is because every report we read, the Pirates have been asking for a ransom for all their players - including Marte.

It seems to me at some point that no team(s) were willing to give the Pirates what they were asking for just for Nady alone, let alone Marte. So they likely agreed to trade both to get the guys they wanted from the Yankees. I don't think this was as much an indication relievers aren't as valuable as much as a product of the Pirates' own asking prices chasing teams off.

07-26-2008, 03:11 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly. Relief pitchers have been going for a ton the past few years. In fact, the reason (I think) Marte was thrown in is because every report we read, the Pirates have been asking for a ransom for all their players - including Marte.

It seems to me at some point that no team(s) were willing to give the Pirates what they were asking for just for Nady alone, let alone Marte. So they likely agreed to trade both to get the guys they wanted from the Yankees. I don't think this was as much an indication relievers aren't as valuable as much as a product of the Pirates' own asking prices chasing teams off.

Relief pitchers have been gold during the trading deadlne, for as long as I can remember. Bagwell for Larry Anderson, Gange last year for a bunch of good prospects. But not this year. Rausch for a future utitlity INF? And now Marte in this deal? And that fact that no team was willing to give the Pirates what they wanted is an indication that the market is weak for sellers. Usually there is one team who really wants to win, and is willing to over pay. Not this year.

TC81190
07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah, it was a bad year for us to be having a great BP full of impending FA. Last year, we could've got an absolute haul for Weathers, Affeldt, and Lincoln. Now, this year, it's pretty much a wash. We might be better off just keeping the latter 2 to gain an upper hand on resigning them.