PDA

View Full Version : Griffey's Homerun

bthomasiscool
07-26-2008, 09:08 PM
With the camera on Griffey after his homerun he looks up into the stands and yells something at somebody. Reading his lips it looked a little like **** you. Did anybody else see this or am I going crazy.

Root Down
07-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah he said it. Furthermore, whatever ticked him off worked to the Reds advantage with that play he just made at the plate.

walk-off
07-26-2008, 09:36 PM
I just lost a ton of respect for him on that. Im not offended, just always considered him a class act untill then. You'd think a 19 year major league veteran could keep his cool regardless of what the some fan said to him. I am a high school coach, and would have been fired for reacting the way he did...

Lockdwn11
07-26-2008, 09:38 PM
He may have been yelling it at bgwilly.Anyone know if he went to the game tonight? LOL

walk-off
07-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I think it was the cubs A ball pitcher who made it to the game after posting bond at $50,000. Upon the cubs release, the Reds picked him up thinking that any pitcher that can miss an entire dugout from only 25 feet away totally belongs on our pitching staff.

goreds2
07-26-2008, 10:58 PM
:wave::griffey::wave:

(Fingers Crossed)

Blue
07-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Whoever he said it to probably deserved that and a lot more.

mroby85
07-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Whoever he said it to probably deserved that and a lot more.

thats not the point imo, being a 19 year vet, he should have more composure than that. that is something you would expect out of a rookie, not an all century player. there are going to be clowns in the seats, thats just part of the game, but they aren't the ones that look bad, it's junior, and he should know that.

ChatterRed
07-27-2008, 01:12 AM
I was sitting in the 4th row behind the plate (diamond seats) and while Griffey was in the warmup deck, one of the fans started jawing at him and Griffey clearly was upset and jawed back at him. I think this might have had something to do with it. I was surprised, because Junior usually doesn't get that upset. I think the fan went a little too far, so it was probably deserved.

tommycash
07-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Ok guys I went to the game and I have some insight on this situation. When the first ball was hit to Griffey tonight dropped in front of him, a guy in front of us yelled at Griff. After that Griff wouldn't throw or anything for the rest of the game ( between innings). The next inning Griffey hit the home run. He then comes back out and the guy is still yelling at Griff (although he kept mixing it up between hatin on Griff and lovin on Griff). I mean the guy actually liked Griffey (he was wearing a Griff jersey) but at times if he didn't like what Griff was doin he would throw some off the wall comments to Griff. Then the next ball that was hit to Griff in the air was caught, Griffey looked at the guy and grabbed his crotch ( a heres what I think of you by Griffey). Griff was obviously pissed off for most of this game. I think it was because of this guy, but I don't know if his homerun gesture was to him since the guy was sitting out near right field. Take it for what it is worth.

lidspinner
07-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Ok guys I went to the game and I have some insight on this situation. When the first ball was hit to Griffey tonight dropped in front of him, a guy in front of us yelled at Griff. After that Griff wouldn't throw or anything for the rest of the game ( between innings). The next inning Griffey hit the home run. He then comes back out and the guy is still yelling at Griff (although he kept mixing it up between hatin on Griff and lovin on Griff). I mean the guy actually liked Griffey (he was wearing a Griff jersey) but at times if he didn't like what Griff was doin he would throw some off the wall comments to Griff. Then the next ball that was hit to Griff in the air was caught, Griffey looked at the guy and grabbed his crotch ( a heres what I think of you by Griffey). Griff was obviously pissed off for most of this game. I think it was because of this guy, but I don't know if his homerun gesture was to him since the guy was sitting out near right field. Take it for what it is worth.

I was at the game and seen the exact thing your talking about....the fan was heckling griff for letting the ball int eh first inning drop and then the one between he and Jay B. I thiink the posters are referring to griff yelling at someone around the dugout area.

Blue
07-27-2008, 03:01 AM
thats not the point imo, being a 19 year vet, he should have more composure than that. that is something you would expect out of a rookie, not an all century player. there are going to be clowns in the seats, thats just part of the game, but they aren't the ones that look bad, it's junior, and he should know that.

I think Reds fans are the ones that wind up looking bad. Just ask anyone who follows baseball who is not a Reds fan: Who is worse? Ken Griffey, Jr., or Reds fans who have repeatedly hounded Junior with racial slurs, heckled him while he lay injured, and dogged him in spite of whatever success he had?

Ghosts of 1990
07-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Griffey over the years has shown himself many many times to lack composure. He mixes it up with fans a lot. He interacts with him. I've seen him drop several F-bombs to fans this year alone. You just don't do it.

Griffey isn't class. He is a fraud for allowing people to think that. He should be ashamed of himself.

ChatterRed
07-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I can honestly say, I would probably lose my composure with some of these fans.

I was upset when the crowd started booing Homer when he left the game. My section clapped for him. He's a 21 year old kid.

I(heart)Freel
07-27-2008, 10:12 AM
I think Reds fans are the ones that wind up looking bad. Just ask anyone who follows baseball who is not a Reds fan: Who is worse? Ken Griffey, Jr., or Reds fans who have repeatedly hounded Junior with racial slurs, heckled him while he lay injured, and dogged him in spite of whatever success he had?

Hear hear. I hate that a vocal minority has completely turned us from a good baseball town to the Midwest version of Philly. The trash yelled at the ballpark these days is inexcusable.

Orodle
07-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Whoever Junior yelled at probably deserved it. Cincinnati likes to call itself a baseball town with great fans. Ya right, Cincinnati's fans only show when the team is doing good. Go to St. Louis or even better yet Cubs fans....ya sure they can be idiots but they are REAL fans.

---comming from a Reds fan.

Jones1
07-27-2008, 12:23 PM
These fans have no class not Griffey. I've been to ten or so games this year and the fans rarely stand and rally the team in the late innings, but criticism comes in waves. Watch the fans of St Louis or Milwaukee those are true fans that rally behind their team instead of abusing them. Griff is what he is an aging player that is losing his skills, what most people forget is what he has accomplished and he gets no credit for it. From what I've read about Babe Ruth the fans in NY did the same thing to him at the end of his career, its really sad.

The Reds aren't going anywhere this year and these fans need to realize they're watching the last season in cincy of one of the greatest players to ever play the game and he did it without juice in a JUICED era.

I commend Griff and will always support him no matter how terrible he plays because I respect the game. Everyone needs to enjoy watching one of the greatest ball players of our time because he wont be around/playing in Cincy much longer!

Those that say they wouldn't say things derogatory need to get off their high horse! He's given his life to baseball and has done it very CLASSY and clean. In his place 98 percent would do the same and feel the same way.

This is also why Im glad I'm not a Bengals fan because it is about 1'000 times worse with football in Cincy.

Jack Burton
07-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Griffey showing his true colors, he can't get off this team fast enough. His stay in Cincy has been the definition of pathetic.

Fon Duc Tow
07-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Whoever Junior yelled at probably deserved it. Cincinnati likes to call itself a baseball town with great fans. Ya right, Cincinnati's fans only show when the team is doing good. Go to St. Louis or even better yet Cubs fans....ya sure they can be idiots but they are REAL fans.

---comming from a Reds fan.

And when was that again?

I honestly can't remember. ---coming from a Reds fan too.

I sort of remember a long time ago when if we beat the Mets, we would go to the playoffs. Kind of foggy though. And before that? Eric Davis, Jose Rijo, 1990. We learned about that in history class I think..

Ghosts of 1990
07-27-2008, 02:02 PM
BOTTOM LINE: Fans in sports are always going to boo the aging player when he's playing bad. They'll boo anyone. Anyone. Ballplayers who are called 'professionals' need to have thick skin and be above that kind of stuff. How many times in his life has Griffey had a fan heckle from the stands? You'd think He'd be mature enough to overlook.

It's ridiculous on his part

Lockdwn11
07-27-2008, 02:21 PM
BOTTOM LINE: Fans in sports are always going to boo the aging player when he's playing bad. They'll boo anyone. Anyone. Ballplayers who are called 'professionals' need to have thick skin and be above that kind of stuff. How many times in his life has Griffey had a fan heckle from the stands? You'd think He'd be mature enough to overlook.

It's ridiculous on his part

I think some people on this board should get off thier high horse.I would love to see them not say/do anything when people night in and night out are throwing things spiting on you saying things about you and your family ect. ect. It's one thing to boo but some people...alot of people cross that line. I don't know I wasn't there but you can bet the fan was doing more then booing. As far as being more mature...Once again I would love to see you overlook it if people day in and day out showed up at your job and did/said some of the things people do/say to these ball players.

ChatterRed
07-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Fans ripping Griffey are hypocrites. So it's alright for the fans to go way overboard with insults toward the players, yelling at that during the game, but it's not alright for the players to say anything back?

Ridiculous. Why don't the fans just shut their mouths and be as "classy" as they expect Griffey and other players to be? Hmmmmmm.

tommycash
07-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Baseball fans classy? Baseball players classy? Not in America. Ever heard of the Bronx cheer, or how about baseballs being thrown on the field (yeah Cubs fans are real classy), what about the White Sox fans rioting on Disco Night. As far as baseball players being classy how about all of the stories of Ruth, Cobb, Shoeless Joe doing things that would land a normal man in jail. Want recent classlessness, just look at steroids (everyone of our homerun heroes in the 90's), Strawberry and Gooden's drug problems (among others), Albert Bell running over a fan in his car, or minor league players throwing bats at umpires or balls at fans. Yeah real classy all around (and don't get me started on owners and agents). I think fans have the right to criticize players (yeah we do) but I want everyone to understand that it should never go too far. Never cuss around kids and don't get personal with your attacks. As far as players go, they shouldnt cuss or make rude gestures to fans either, again because kids are watching. Now they can make gestures that aren't obscene and say things that aren't obscene that would work just as well. Anybody who makes millions of dollars to play a game and be set for life after a couple of seasons need to have thick skin.

Fon Duc Tow
07-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I would love to see you not say/do anything when people night in and night out are throwing things spiting on you saying things about you and your family ect. ect.

How much does Griffey make per week to play a kids game, I forget?

Cut me a few of those checks and you've got a deal sir.

If a fan is yelling insults at me, a few million dollars buys a lot of earmuffs, I'll put it that way.

That fan wasn't telling Griffey anything he didn't already know, and that's why it got to him. Don't get me wrong, the fan was way out of line. But Griffey should know better. Of course Griffey should a lot of things... (run out ground balls, not sit there and watch every fly ball that might be a HR after he hits it, be batting 6th or 7th, etc etc.)

But I forgot...he will be a first ballot hall of famer. For the stuff he did with another team. Therefore, all is forgiven and to those who dare to criticize a living legend such as Griffey, then clearly you must be a fair weather Reds fan...whatever that is.

BlastFurnace
07-27-2008, 03:25 PM
I'd like to see the fans who yell insults at Griffey....Middle Aged, Jorts Wearing, Gut Hanging Over...etc....even begin to do anything beyond play "Softball Guy" once a week.

I don't think the players have a problem with booing when it is deserved. What is bad is when it crosses the line with personal insults, racial slurs, etc. The problem with fans, is that they get this aura about them that just because they pay for a ticket, it allows them to act like complete idiots...without reservation...for a 3-4 hour period of time. If any of these fans saw Griffey, Dunn, Cordero, etc. at the local Sports Bar, they would be kissing their ass...because they wouldn't have the guts to say insults to them face to face and the bleacher barrier wouldn't be there to protect them.

Griffey, Dunn, Cordero, etc...are not bad guys. They have a profession and play a kids game. Just because you and I weren't good enough to make it as far as they did, doesn't mean we can abuse them because they still get to play a "kid's game".

Jr's Boy
07-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Griffey showing his true colors, he can't get off this team fast enough. His stay in Cincy has been the definition of pathetic.

Yeah I hear ya,darn those pathetic injury's.

Redeye fly
07-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Griffey over the years has shown himself many many times to lack composure. He mixes it up with fans a lot. He interacts with him. I've seen him drop several F-bombs to fans this year alone. You just don't do it.

Griffey isn't class. He is a fraud for allowing people to think that. He should be ashamed of himself.

He is not a fraud. He's human. If any of this stuff is true, did he cross a line? Probably. Should he had exercised a bit more restraint? Definitely. But so far the only person I've ever known or heard of that's ever walked on the earth that's ever been perfect is Jesus Christ... and he got angry (justifiably) a time or two.

There have been a lot of people who have experienced first hand Griffey's kindness away from the field.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x3803909

That's just one example, and nowhere near the best. But a quote from Jr. in regard to that situation is telling. "We play a game. What he was going through doesn't compare."

I don't think Griffey's perfect and don't put the man on a pedestal higher than a lot of other people who do similar acts of kindness. But he's lost his composure before from what... his own hometown "fans" who hold it against him because he's not as good as he was in Seattle? Because, perish the thought, he got older and aged the right way, and not the Bonds way? Because he suffered countless injuries? Because he gets paid lots of money when any one of his hecklers would have taken that money from their employer and probably performed worse at whatever job they do than Jr. has as a Red? Because the "fans" can't separate the fact that he does in fact merely play a game, and they have to cross the line first themselves and make their remarks personal in areas that have nothing to do with baseball?

Yeah, Griffey's not perfect. But I'm also pretty sure he's not a fraud for losing his cool with people who when it comes to class... well maybe take a couple of letters off that word and you have something that better suits and defines them.

Root Down
07-27-2008, 06:18 PM
That article says a lot about Griffey. Yeah he lost his cool yesterday but the guy does a LOT for a lot of people off the field.

He got it!
07-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Read on the ORG that Hal M. confirmed that Griffeys lip service and gestures were intended for Jeff Brantley in reference to what he said about him on the radio broadcast. See the ORG for exact quotes. Didn't Brantly also have to apologize to Weathers earlier this year for comments he made about him? When will Brantly learn to not bash the players on air? I think he is just trying to impress Marty to be honest. When the guy goes down to the players locker room to apologize to 2 or 3 seperate players on 2 or 3 seperate ocassions it kind of losses its effectiveness. Are you really sorry Brantly? Then why do you keep making the same mistake? Why don't you show us you learned your lesson by not publicly bashing the players and taking issues up with them in private.

bgwilly31
07-27-2008, 07:28 PM
He may have been yelling it at bgwilly.Anyone know if he went to the game tonight? LOL
hahaha :)

absolutely agree

I think some people on this board should get off thier high horse.I would love to see them not say/do anything when people night in and night out are throwing things spiting on you saying things about you and your family ect. ect. It's one thing to boo but some people...alot of people cross that line. I don't know I wasn't there but you can bet the fan was doing more then booing. As far as being more mature...Once again I would love to see you overlook it if people day in and day out showed up at your job and did/said some of the things people do/say to these ball players.

Here come the Griffey Nutswingers. :rolleyes:

Reading some of you peoples thoughts on this is unbelievable to me.

Look people, dont forget that this is a job! A proffession.
Ask yourself what would happen to you, if you said F you or grabbed your nuts to a customer. hrmmmmmmmmmmm??????

As for the fans that are yelling.

1) It seems the guys that ive ever seen doing this are usually as described earlier. Fat, out of shape, classless.

So after considering that. If your a pro ball player, making millions, have mansions, exotic cars, a beatiful family. basically everything anyone could wish for. Why in the hell is some fat hillbilly loser yelling (whatever) at you going to bother you. He would either get zero attention from me or maybe a slight nod and a crooked smile. And more importantly i certainly wouldnt let them get my head out of the game. (Griffeys problem is his head is never in the game these days) Could be the reason this happened. Interesting...

2.) Any fan that ive ever seen constantly heckling a player is kicked out of the game. When did they stop that?

pitcher7
07-27-2008, 07:57 PM
apparently some people thought that he was saying it at Brantley, but I have no idea why that would be. I have never heard Brantley call Jr. out.

Never mind, saw someone already posted that.

Griffey012
07-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I made the trip to Cincy for a game agaisnt the nationals where they won with a walk off basehit. It was a great game and a fun time. But it was twice as fun because I was sitting in right field and got to watch Griffey interact, joke around, heckle back at the hecklers, and look like he was having fun playing the game. If he is going get rattled, pissed off, and say **** you back at someone one time, so be it. I think we are all human and capable of having a bad day, getting pissed off, or letting our emotions get to us. Either way, the other 140 games a year he is not tht guy, then so be it.

44Magnum
07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Jr. made a bad mistake. Unfortunately, it wasn't his first or even close to his first mistake.

If he can't take true criticism, then he should quit. Oh wait! He should quit regardless considering his lack of talent for the game now.

If you find yourself defending Jr., you may want to take a deep look in the mirror. It makes you look really sad and pathetic.

Griffey012
07-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Oh really, he should just quit so then we can watch CPatt play centerfield everyday once again. There is someone who is twice as less deserving of the money he gets paid.

What is sad and pathetic is that you have nothing better to do than try to rip on players, complain about their every move, and run them out of town while you are hidden behind a message board screen name. Like someone earlier in this thread said, if you ever saw one of those players out in public you would be kissing their arsses.

The guy going to be out of town at the end of the year, and some of you would rather see him fail miserably than perform and help this team win games. Because you somehow simply get some sense of satisfaction saying look at this bum, he sucks, I told you he can't hit for s**t anymore.

Griffey has been my idol growing up, and will always be my favorite player. It is clear to me he is aging, has lost plenty of steps, lost his bat speed, sometimes it's tough to watch...but if you step back and think about it, who is going to replace him this season? If you think Rob Mackowiak or Chris Dickerson are gonna do any better, you gotta be kidding.

bounty37h
07-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Yeha, how classless, actually mixing it up and interacting with fans. How dare he!!!!

ChatterRed
07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Here's what I've learned from this thread:

1. People making millions should have thick skin and be classy when they have racial slurs and insults thrown their way.

2. People who don't make millions have every right to hurl insults and racial slurs at those who make millions.

I guess it would be alright to say all you poor people on here are jerks. I'd hurl a few racial insults but I'd get banned. I don't make a million, so it's perfectly alright.

I use to be poor and classy. But I've now learned that being poor allows me to be unclassy. ;)

Jack Burton
07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
It's funny that people still defend this cancer.

Redeye fly
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Oh really, he should just quit so then we can watch CPatt play centerfield everyday once again. There is someone who is twice as less deserving of the money he gets paid.

What is sad and pathetic is that you have nothing better to do than try to rip on players, complain about their every move, and run them out of town while you are hidden behind a message board screen name. Like someone earlier in this thread said, if you ever saw one of those players out in public you would be kissing their arsses.

The guy going to be out of town at the end of the year, and some of you would rather see him fail miserably than perform and help this team win games. Because you somehow simply get some sense of satisfaction saying look at this bum, he sucks, I told you he can't hit for s**t anymore.

Griffey has been my idol growing up, and will always be my favorite player. It is clear to me he is aging, has lost plenty of steps, lost his bat speed, sometimes it's tough to watch...but if you step back and think about it, who is going to replace him this season? If you think Rob Mackowiak or Chris Dickerson are gonna do any better, you gotta be kidding.

Exactly. Everyone that says "run the bum out of town"... and replace him with WHO??!? Who exactly is Griffey keeping from playing who's a sure thing to perform better and better help the club? Obviously not Patterson, unless you want nothing but defense. Bruce? He's in most of the time anyway. Freel? No and he's injured. Hopper? No and he's injured. Hairston? He'll play when healthy anyway, but health is an issue, and how long he'll stay hot when he plays is another issue. Someone from the minors? Name one who's a)definitely ready and b) an obvious improvement over Griffey in any sense other than defensively. Defense is important, and needs improved and addressed on this club, but is not the be all end all if a replacement can't hit major league pitching. Griffey has slowed considerably, but he still gets pitched with respect and carefully, and is still more of a power threat than any conceivable replacement. If you say the team sucks, go with young guys, fine. The only problem is there's no young outfielder in the minors who's even close to ready that much of anyone considers to be anything more than a platoon or extra outfielder. Then you also have to find a way to get rid of this player that you think is mostly worthless now, and his contract. Or you have to deal with benching a living legend who is making a large sum of money and still wants to play as often as possible.

44Magnum, for you or anyone else to say those defending Griffey look sad and pathetic... no. What's sad and pathetic is the piling on against him from people,many of him already were on his case, who jump in right away without even knowing anything about the story. "I thought I saw him mouth an expletive, did he?" Yeah, as it turned out he did. Was it to a fan who was heckling him, as nearly everyone thought? No it wasn't. Not saying directing it toward Brantley makes it better, just saying people were guessing and assuming things right off the bat, and that part of the guessing and assuming was wrong. So if they're wrong about that, what else are they wrong about? Maybe quite a bit, as if we wanted to we could probably pull people out of here by name who are looking for any and every reason to criticize Griffey.

The man's best days are behind him. We all know that. But I for one am not going to allow myself to get so upset with him over that fact that I'm going to describe him as a man, not a player, but a man, as being a fraud, sad, pathetic, and whatever other character attack one wants to throw at him. Because chances are that if right now he had a .290 BA, 24 home runs,80 RBI's, and an OPS at or above .990 and the Reds were 10 games above .500, no one would be saying "run him out of town." What's sad and pathetic are the comments from people who can't separate Griffey the player, who is declining, from Griffey the person, whom they don't even know, off the field or in the club house. He made a mistake in the sense that he lost his cool, and was caught on tv doing that. I'm sure he regrets the fact that it was caught on a television camera, if not the action itself. But regardless of what he regrets or doesn't regret, I'm not going to tear into him over a mistake, or other mistakes, when there's a lot of instances out there that have shown how caring and generous he is to people who needed that very thing at the time.

I've had bad days and moments where I've been in less than cheery moods at work and in everyday life past, present, and more than likely future. I've had days where I screwed something up. Hopefully regardless of those days and moments, people look at me based on the overall body of my work, and my person, and not use those less than shining moments to form negative overall opinions of me and take the opportunity to do so when I'm at my worst. I'm sure everyone here can relate, and would appreciate the same treatment and "benefit of the doubt". So given all the positive stories about there about Junior, and there are quite a few, why shouldn't he get the same "benefit of the doubt". Oh wait, I know... it's because he's not as good as he used to be and makes a lot of money. Bad man! Bad, bad, mean man!

And yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Griffey012
07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Redeye Fly, you hit the nail on the head. Case closed.

Redeye fly
07-28-2008, 02:48 PM
It's funny that people still defend this cancer.

It's funny that you're in the clubhouse everyday to know that he's a cancer.

Oh wait, every negative media report and rumor is true, right?

Is he a cancer because he's hitting .246 and making a lot of money? Would he still be a cancer if he got to 30% more of the balls in the outfield? 70% more? Would he be a cancer if he was hitting .290? If he had 24 home runs? 80 RBI's? A .990+ OPS? Would he be a cancer if he was making Brandon Phillips money? Norris Hopper money? If the Reds were leading the wild card race? Then even if there were several incidents, we could look the other way, right, because Junior, well he's just a little moody. He just gets a little upset now and then, but we've got to let Junior be Junior. Is that the way it would work then? Really, I'd like to know, because I'd love to hear input from all those who know him so well and know what a clubhouse chemistry killing jerk he obviously is. I mean I'm sure Jeff Keppinger would be right on board when he broke his kneecap and one of the first guys, if not the first guy to go and provide some encouragement was Junior. I'm sure Keppinger would say that Junior was nothing but a selfish, pouty, jerk. I mean if he was putting up the year that Barry Bonds did at 38 years old, other than years kind of comparable to players who aged normally like Frank Robinson and Dave Winfield, and countless others, would we be able to drop this discussion entirely? I mean after all, look at the numbers he'd be putting up!

bgwilly31
07-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Because chances are that if right now he had a .290 BA, 24 home runs,80 RBI's, and an OPS at or above .990 and the Reds were 10 games above .500, no one would be saying "run him out of town." .

This portion of your Ignorant pathetic post pretty much sums up your intelligence.

Lets use If's to make a point.

If griffey has 30hr's and the reds were 10 games above .500 your attitude would change towards griffey wouldnt it. Would we even care if he mouthed the F word towards a fan or whoever. Would we care if he grabbed his nuts at a fan?

Well of course not genious.

Facts are Facts and Ifs are Ifs.

If griffey Being on this team was working we wouldnt only have one winning season in the 8 yrs of him as a RED now would we.

Griffey012
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Ha, yea we would probably have 0.

Redeye fly
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
This portion of your Ignorant pathetic post pretty much sums up your intelligence.

Lets use If's to make a point.

If griffey has 30hr's and the reds were 10 games above .500 your attitude would change towards griffey wouldnt it. Would we even care if he mouthed the F word towards a fan or whoever. Would we care if he grabbed his nuts at a fan?

Well of course not genious.

Facts are Facts and Ifs are Ifs.

If griffey Being on this team was working we wouldnt only have one winning season in the 8 yrs of him as a RED now would we.

Well, while we're talking about intelligence, on a board that automatically spell checks, you spell "genius" genious, and say wouldnt it, instead of "wouldn't it". Oh, and with a period instead of a question mark. You do that two sentences in a row in fact. Really, the whole post is littered with bad grammar, lazy arguments, and immature personal attacks wrapped around an attempted point.

As far as your last sentence, again with Griffey not being capitalized, but "Being", well, being so... and wouldnt instead of wouldn't (again), I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not... I sure hope so. Because after ranting about "if arguments", IF you believe your last sentence, then you just totally destroyed yourself and wasted everyone's time.

big boy
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
1. People making millions should have thick skin and be classy when they have racial slurs and insults thrown their way.

2. People who don't make millions have every right to hurl insults and racial slurs at those who make millions.

Were Brantley's remarks racial slurs? I was under the impression that he was criticizing Jr's lack of hustle/interest in pursuing a fly ball.

Redeye fly
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Redeye Fly, you hit the nail on the head. Case closed.

It would be nice if it was case closed. Unfortunately, it obviously is not. But thanks for the thought.

Redeye fly
07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Were Brantley's remarks racial slurs? I was under the impression that he was criticizing Jr's lack of hustle/interest in pursuing a fly ball.

That's what Brantley seemed to think it was about. Junior said it was, among other things, because Brantley said that he was pouting because the Reds hadn't picked up his option for next year.

Brantley didn't say anything racial I'm sure. I think ChatterRed's remarks were just pointing out that Junior has had to deal with that kind of stuff before... and probably still does have to deal with it.

Griffey012
07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Instead of harping on guys like Griffey and Dunn all the time, and taking out the anger we all have of stinking and having these losing seasons. We should be looking at a group of posterboys similar to the following: Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Steve Parris, Osvaldo Fernandez, Eric Milton, Rob Bell, Jose "Ace"vedo, Elmer Dessens, Chris Reitsma, Brian Reith, Brian Moehler, Shawn Estes, Jared Fernandez, Jeff Austin, Jimmy Anderson, Seth Etherton, John Bale, Danny Graves the starter, Rijo, Juan Bong, Brandon Claussen, Todd Van Poppel, Dave Williams, Reggie Taylor, Michael Tucker, Alex Ochoa, and a number of many more "5" tool outfielders.

If you look back at our starting pitching during the span of losing seasons up until basically this year, the rotation has been worse than something Rachel Phelps could have put together in the movie "Major League." In the Griffey and Dunn era there have been no winning seasons, there have been a few years where we actually made a push for a playoff spot with a highly overacheiving team. This year has really been the first year we have almost had a solid team up and down and haven't won as many as we should. We also have our ace with a 3-11 record, Arroyo awful until recently, and 2 rookies in the rotation.

But I suppose it makes sense to blame Griffey and blame Dunn for the losing, since they have been the only 2 players who have had to waste away 6-8 years of their careers watching balls fly over their heads from a pitching staff that resembles that of an independent league team, throwing in a launching pad. I know this is about Griffey, but I threw in Dunner's name also because in many other threads he is a whipping boy because we have never had a winning season with him on the team. The point is these guys were never given a team capable winning.

If Griffey put up 50 homeruns and 120 rbi we still wouldn't have another winning season under our belts until maybe this year.

Root Down
07-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Instead of harping on guys like Griffey and Dunn all the time, and taking out the anger we all have of stinking and having these losing seasons. We should be looking at a group of posterboys similar to the following: Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Steve Parris, Osvaldo Fernandez, Eric Milton, Rob Bell, Jose "Ace"vedo, Elmer Dessens, Chris Reitsma, Brian Reith, Brian Moehler, Shawn Estes, Jared Fernandez, Jeff Austin, Jimmy Anderson, Seth Etherton, John Bale, Danny Graves the starter, Rijo, Juan Bong, Brandon Claussen, Todd Van Poppel, Dave Williams, Reggie Taylor, Michael Tucker, Alex Ochoa, and a number of many more "5" tool outfielders.

If you look back at our starting pitching during the span of losing seasons up until basically this year, the rotation has been worse than something Rachel Phelps could have put together in the movie "Major League." In the Griffey and Dunn era there have been no winning seasons, there have been a few years where we actually made a push for a playoff spot with a highly overacheiving team. This year has really been the first year we have almost had a solid team up and down and haven't won as many as we should. We also have our ace with a 3-11 record, Arroyo awful until recently, and 2 rookies in the rotation.

But I suppose it makes sense to blame Griffey and blame Dunn for the losing, since they have been the only 2 players who have had to waste away 6-8 years of their careers watching balls fly over their heads from a pitching staff that resembles that of an independent league team, throwing in a launching pad. I know this is about Griffey, but I threw in Dunner's name also because in many other threads he is a whipping boy because we have never had a winning season with him on the team. The point is these guys were never given a team capable winning.

If Griffey put up 50 homeruns and 120 rbi we still wouldn't have another winning season under our belts until maybe this year.

Well said! I don't know about Rijo, but I think it's pretty hard to put this much blame on Griffey and Dunn.

bgwilly31
07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Well, while we're talking about intelligence, on a board that automatically spell checks, you spell "genius" genious, and say wouldnt it, instead of "wouldn't it". Oh, and with a period instead of a question mark. You do that two sentences in a row in fact. Really, the whole post is littered with bad grammar, lazy arguments, and immature personal attacks wrapped around an attempted point.

As far as your last sentence, again with Griffey not being capitalized, but "Being", well, being so... and wouldnt instead of wouldn't (again), I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not... I sure hope so. Because after ranting about "if arguments", IF you believe your last sentence, then you just totally destroyed yourself and wasted everyone's time.

Sorry i will try to be more punctual in this post. That way you can come back with a better on topic reply instead of just trying to bash my lazy grammar.
But of course im not surprised coming from the guy that has to use IF' s to try and make a point.

The only reason im even replying to you now is to clear up your thoughts on my last sentence. Because apparently you have a hard time comprehending.
My last sentence was not an IF.

Its a fact! That griffey coming to the REDS never worked. Which is why the Reds have been a train wreck for the past 8 yrs.

Yes i believe that Griffey is a Cancer on this team and the source of this teams Failure.

bgwilly31
07-28-2008, 03:51 PM
I dont blame dunn. I hate griffeys attitude/effort/ and demeanor on the field.

I like to watch hussle. I like to watch HEART/WANT.

Griffey brings the exact opposite to the game.

Griffey012
07-28-2008, 04:08 PM

The man's legs are physically held together by screws because of years of running into walls, diving into turf, the guys broke his wrist slamming into a wall to make a game saving catch. He tore up his shoulder here in Cincy diving for a ball in the gap. He is just not physically capable of making some of the plays, he can't run half as fast as he did before, for a while everytime he did something all out it seemed like he ended up with a significant injury, I can't blame a guy for not running full speed into first on a routine grounder to 2nd base after all the leg issues he has had.

You can't honestly make a statement and say Griffey doesn't play with heart/want. Did you see him almost make the game saving catch of a homerun before his glove hit some pole in the left field stands, I didn't even think the guy could jump off ground anymore. He made a catch in foul territory a few games back and held the runner on third with the game on the line. Just because the guy isn't capable of going all Ryan Freel and stupidly injuring yourself for a 10% chance at a foul ball doesn't mean he doesn't have heart or want to win. If that were the case he would have retired already, being the family man that he is.

I garuntee you he would give up everything in his career just to win the world series in Cincy ths year.

James B.
07-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Sorry i will try to be more punctual in this post. That way you can come back with a better on topic reply instead of just trying to bash my lazy grammar.
But of course im not surprised coming from the guy that has to use IF' s to try and make a point.

The only reason im even replying to you now is to clear up your thoughts on my last sentence. Because apparently you have a hard time comprehending.

Its a fact! That griffey coming to the REDS never worked. Which is why the Reds have been a train wreck for the past 8 yrs.

Yes i believe that Griffey is a Cancer on this team and the source of this teams Failure.

So how many World Series titles would the reds have won these past 8 years without Griffey? I would think that a lack of pitching and defense would be the problem.

Redeye fly
07-28-2008, 04:42 PM

To clear a few things up:
1. I would not have made any mention of your grammar had you not first
resorted to childish insults and attacks. Don't worry, I won't mention it
again, despite the fact that your best defense seems to be insults.

2. If's to make a point... whatever. Why do you think a scrub like Shawn
Chacon has a physical altercation with a team official and is
unceremoniously released, while a future Hall of Famer who is still
producing like Manny Ramirez has a slightly milder altercation with a team
official and little to nothing happens? Do you think Danny Graves was
released because he flipped everyone the bird? No, he was released
because he was pitching terribly, and the team knew he was done. The
fact that Danny was stupid enough to do what he did simply allowed the
team to turn it into a pr move where they could say "We're not going to
have guys like that in the organization and let them act in that manner
toward our fans." If Graves was having an All-Star caliber season, he
would have been fined and told not to react that way anymore. Similarly
if, yes IF Griffey was having a Bonds type season at age 38, people
would react to this with a lot less venom than what they are right now.
Sure they'd be disappointed. Sure they might even lose a little respect
for him. But few if any would be saying get him off the team.

3. "If Griffey being on this team was working".
Yeah, the only problem with that is that it's a tired argument that
has been shot down numerous times. Let's overlook the fact that the
Reds have had historically bad pitching all during that time. Griffey012
named most if not all of the "greats". Oh but that's got to be Griffey's
fault because he takes up so much of the payroll. Let's ignore the fact
that he didn't sign here as a free agent but was traded here, and that
he came here for below market value. Let's forget the fact that he was
brought here by a mostly incompetent GM and really entire front office
and ownership who all collectively forgot that they needed pitching to
win, but instead thought that a home town first ballot Hall of Famer in a
small ball park would magically restore the Reds to greatness. Let's forget
the fact that he spent 81 or more games a year (give or take) running
around on concrete with a thin layer of plastic grass (or whatever
AstroTurf consists of) for several years and his lower body took a
beating. Let's forget the fact that to the best of my knowledge Griffey
has never used his veto power to nix a trade, though I know he says
he doesn't want to be traded. We could have gotten rid of Griffey years
ago but Phil Nevin nixed that deal... which was good for us.
Blaming the losing on Griffey is just beyond stupid. It's petty and short
sighted. Even if you want to say he takes up too much of the payroll,
that's not a good argument. The money is and probably always was
there if they wanted to spend it. Marge and the group after her didn't
want to spend it. Carl Lindner only cared about making a profit, but he
decided to spend big money on one pitcher, and it was Eric Milton.
Castellini at least wants to win and will spend what he can, within reason,
to do so. But again, we're hampered by inept ownership that didn't even
try to win, and yet you want again somehow it has to come back to
being on Griffey.

4. Yeah, Griffey's a real "cancer". That's why he's one of the biggest
comedians in the club house. That's why he went to Jeff Keppinger to
encourage him when he broke his knee cap. That's why Jerry Hairston
made a point to say that he was a great teammate. That's why Josh
Fogg took his light hearted penny prank as just that, a fun, light hearted
prank, by saying he was going to count them all up in the bullpen. Yeah,
it's obvious. Everyone on the team hates Griffey and his bad attitude.:rolleyes:

Redeye fly
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
The man's legs are physically held together by screws because of years of running into walls, diving into turf, the guys broke his wrist slamming into a wall to make a game saving catch. He tore up his shoulder here in Cincy diving for a ball in the gap. He is just not physically capable of making some of the plays, he can't run half as fast as he did before, for a while everytime he did something all out it seemed like he ended up with a significant injury, I can't blame a guy for not running full speed into first on a routine grounder to 2nd base after all the leg issues he has had.

You can't honestly make a statement and say Griffey doesn't play with heart/want. Did you see him almost make the game saving catch of a homerun before his glove hit some pole in the left field stands, I didn't even think the guy could jump off ground anymore. He made a catch in foul territory a few games back and held the runner on third with the game on the line. Just because the guy isn't capable of going all Ryan Freel and stupidly injuring yourself for a 10% chance at a foul ball doesn't mean he doesn't have heart or want to win. If that were the case he would have retired already, being the family man that he is.

I garuntee you he would give up everything in his career just to win the world series in Cincy ths year.

Which is funny, because as I recall when he tore his shoulder diving for that
ball, we were playing the Cubs, with none other than Dusty Baker as their manager. I seem to remember too that there was a quote from Dusty saying
"That's a shame. He didn't have to extend myself like that."

I guess maybe what some of these people want is to see Junior go full speed 100% of the time, so that when he completely rips apart the lower half of his anatomy so that it looks like it's dangling off of him, his career will be effectively ended and the "cancer" will be gone. And with that, we'll magically go on a 12 game winning streak because the one single solitary cause of 8 years of losing will no longer be there.

Jack Burton
07-28-2008, 05:17 PM

All perfect reasons as to why he shouldn't be playing anymore. It will be a glorious day for Reds fans when he's no longer with this ball club.

Fon Duc Tow
07-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Griffey is hardly a cancer.

I mean sure, he might be
1. washed up
2. doesnt leg out ground balls he hits
3. doesn't leg out fly balls he hits
4. 50/50 effort in the outfield
5. has no business batting 3rd, yet has for the whole season

Griffey may be all of these things, but he is hardly a cancer.

Griffey012
07-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Well said! I don't know about Rijo, but I think it's pretty hard to put this much blame on Griffey and Dunn.

I only mentioned Rijo, because as much as I loved the guy and loved seeing him back in the Reds uni, it was kinda sad because he was about the only reason to watch the reds for a stretch

Griffey012
07-28-2008, 06:21 PM

I mean sure, he might be
1. washed up

Exactly, if people want to argue those 5 things you just listed, it is fair game. I mean we all have seen times this year where he has struggled at the plate, jogged out grounders or fly balls, and made some questionable pull ups on ball in the outfield.

But you can't blame him for 8 years of losing and can't call him a cancer in the clubhouse. Those 5 things listed can be argued all day, but the arguments should stay to things we actually can witness and know about.

kfm
07-28-2008, 06:59 PM

This is one of the best post I have ever read on this board. Some people will not like it because it gets at the point of the problem and doesn't simply bash the hightest paid most productive players on the team who so many Red's fans love to hate. One of the reasons I want the Reds to keep Dunn, besides his production, is I that I don't want these young players to have to deal with the irrational subjective bashing that will come their way just as soon as the hater crowd doesn't have Dunn or Griffey to kick around anymore.

ChatterRed
07-28-2008, 07:59 PM

Oh man, you're spelling is killing me. :laugh:

bgwilly31
07-29-2008, 12:26 PM

I mean sure, he might be
1. washed up

:lol: Makes perfect sense.

Good post:)

Exactly, if people want to argue those 5 things you just listed, it is fair game. I mean we all have seen times this year where he has struggled at the plate, jogged out grounders or fly balls, and made some questionable pull ups on ball in the outfield.

But you can't blame him for 8 years of losing and can't call him a cancer in the clubhouse. Those 5 things listed can be argued all day, but the arguments should stay to things we actually can witness and know about.

Hahaha missed a little sarcasm i believe.

And This year? :lol:

Get real...we've been seeing these 5 things for YEARS.

Manut Bol
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM
When I saw the highlight of him saying "**** you" I was disappointed. That kind of behavior is a disgrace to the Redlegs uniform. A lot of people still idolize "the Kid," but I lost major respect for him when I saw that. He's a professional athlete, emphasis on the word "professional." He's been in the league forever and shouldn't have any problem letting what some drunk yells roll off his shoulders. What a shame.

bgwilly31
07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Wheres the highlight?

i didnt see the game. :(

goreds2
08-02-2008, 10:26 AM
:wave::griffey::wave:

(Fingers Crossed)

WHEW!