PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Arroyo to Yanks

DoogMinAmo
07-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Trade deadline is nearing, take this for the grain of salt it is worth:

Guy sitting next to me at the bar last night was talking about how he was hanging out with Bronson at his condo Friday night, and he got a call from his agent at 1:30AM, and he is headed to the Yanks. Bronson isn't too happy, apparently.

Considering the weakness of the source and how "well" received such rumors have been in the past, I debated even posting it. But, why not.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Seems about as reputable as that alleged Ohio Sports News blog that whipped up a frenzy with Arroyo-Victorino a couple of weeks ago.

And why would Arroyo be upset about going to the Bronx?

Big Klu
07-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Seems about as reputable as that alleged Ohio Sports News blog that whipped up a frenzy with Arroyo-Victorino a couple of weeks ago.

And why would Arroyo be upset about going to the Bronx?

Ask Curt Schilling. Once a Red Sox, always a Red Sox (at least insofar as the Yankees are concerned).

Also, he would have to get a haircut.

*BaseClogger*
07-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Guy sitting next to me at the bar last night

How much drinking was going on?

VR
07-27-2008, 04:38 PM
How much drinking was going on?

It was one-firty AM.

KronoRed
07-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Hard to argue with a source known as guy at the bar. ;)

membengal
07-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Actually, that's probably a better source than the Ohio blog thingy...

Ron Madden
07-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I believe there might be some truth in this rumor.

OnBaseMachine
07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't just give Arroyo away. I fully believe he will bounce back into a solid 200 IP sub 4.30 ERA guy next year. I'd want an Ian Kennedy or Austin Jackson type prospect in return for Arroyo.

guttle11
07-27-2008, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't just give Arroyo away. I fully believe he will bounce back into a solid 200 IP sub 4.30 ERA guy next year. I'd want an Ian Kennedy or Austin Jackson type prospect in return for Arroyo.

And I'd like Ana Ivonovic to go out with me.

CTA513
07-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Send Arroyo to the Yankees and have him kidnap Alex Rodriguez and Mariano Rivera.

:cool:

RedsManRick
07-27-2008, 04:51 PM
I think a lot of these things start as a legitimate agent-calls-player interaction, likely about the fact that trade discussions are taking place. Pretty soon it's a game of telephone and there's an actual deal just waiting for signatures.

FWIW, PECOTA doesn't see Gardner as ever being an above replacement bat. He'd need to beat his weighted mean just to deserve being a backup.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2008, 04:58 PM
And I'd like Ana Ivonovic to go out with me.

Wait...I'm first in line!!!

edabbs44
07-27-2008, 05:09 PM

There is a difference between Ian Kennedy and Austin Jackson, IMO.

mth123
07-27-2008, 05:12 PM

Agree. I'd rather have Jackson. Kennedy is a step down from Arroyo as far as the rotation goes.

OnBaseMachine
07-27-2008, 05:14 PM

I agree. I'd rather have Jackson but I'd accept a package of Ian Kennedy + Brett Gardner.

Spitball
07-27-2008, 05:16 PM

Unless the Reds are willing to pay the rest of Arroyo's contract, they won't be getting anything near the quality of Kennedy or Jackson.

From Buster Olney's Trade Blog:

The Yankees are willing to take on the bulk of the approximately $14 million still owed to Washburn for the rest of this year and next year, but they have no intention of including anything more than a marginal prospect in the deal.

Arroyo's recent comments might keep this kind of trade from happening. The Reds won't want to pay his salary, and they won't want to look like they are selling out to save money by receiving a marginal prospect.

It is just too strong a buyers' market.

fearofpopvol1
07-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Ask Curt Schilling. Once a Red Sox, always a Red Sox (at least insofar as the Yankees are concerned).

Also, he would have to get a haircut.

Johnny Damon says :wave:

johngalt
07-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Johnny Damon says :wave:

So does Wade Boggs.

klw
07-27-2008, 06:35 PM

I agree. Kennedy is a much better pitcher than Jackson. :)