PDA

View Full Version : Reds going after Laird

redhawk61
07-27-2008, 06:13 PM
The Rangers activated Gerald Laird off the disabled list on Saturday after he missed a month because of a pulled hamstring muscle. He made his first start on Sunday and continues to draw interest from both the Reds and the Yankees. The Rangers want top young pitching prospects in return and that's keeping any deal from getting done right now.

http://trades.mlblogs.com/
by the way he is 2-2 today with his average up to .314

stfm965
07-27-2008, 06:19 PM
If the Rangers don't lower their asking price, Laird is going no where. The Yankees would be better off with Molina/Moeller than parting with more prospects for Laird.

07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I am not a big fan of giving up resources to get a catcher. I think Hanigan or Tatum should be fine next year, and if not, I am sure that the Reds can pick some one up at the end of spring training for next to nothing. Heck, I'd take LaRue back if I had to. Catching is a defensive position.
If Laird can be had for a B prospect, then okay, but there is no need to give up a top 10 prospect for him.

laxtonto
07-27-2008, 06:44 PM
The problem is that 3 teams are actively looking for a Catcher in the Reds, Marlins and Yankees with really very few young or long term options available. Texas will get a iop 10 guy for hum just becasue of how the market is right now

stfm965
07-27-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm not so sure about that. The market isnt that strong. The Marlins want one as their first priority but knowing the organization i doubt they'd give up a top ten prospect. The Yanks and Reds certainly wont. It'll take a lower asking price...IF a deal is to be done.

TC81190
07-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I agree with whoever said bring up Hanigan. What can it hurt? He has a good reputation defensively, and last I checked, was at least able to put the bat on the ball, which would be more than adequate for a defensive upgrade finally.

NeilHamburger
07-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I'll throw a name out there: Damon Berryhill.

Newman4
07-27-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't see much difference in Laird and Ross other than age and salary - for now - Laird will get an arbitration raise. Why give up prospects for a minimal upgrade?

Kingspoint
07-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Laird has definitely been a guy on my radar for the REDS.

Jefferson24
07-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Sure he can get him and over pay to do so. Then he'll get over here and under preform or get hurt. It's better to bring up our farmhands or go get a really good quality player. Laird does not fall into that category in my opinion. I would rather see a move for Teagarden.

CincyRed44
07-28-2008, 04:05 AM
If we are going after a catcher from the Rangers my preference would also be Taylor Teagarden. Young, solid defensive catcher matching our young solid pitching staff. This way they'll grow into CHAMPIONS together. ;)

kpresidente
07-28-2008, 01:49 PM
If we are going after a catcher from the Rangers my preference would also be Taylor Teagarden. Young, solid defensive catcher matching our young solid pitching staff. This way they'll grow into CHAMPIONS together. ;)

Check out Teagarden's level summary:

LEVEL.....OPS
A-..........1.061
A+.........1.054
AA......... .775
AAA....... .772

Great defensive catcher, but looks like he might have hit a wall at AA.

BEETTLEBUG
07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
I am for Teagarden and outfielder Nelson Cruz

pitcher7
07-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately, we would have to give up a lot more for Teegarden then for Laird. Maybe the Reds could trade for Laird, then swing deals to get rid of Bako and Ross. Would leave us back with 2 catchers, Hanigan waiting in the wings if needed, and would allow more roster versatility.

TheBigLebowski
07-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I'll throw a name out there: Damon Berryhill.

I'll see your Damon Berryhill and raise you a Hector Villanueva.