PDA

View Full Version : Manny Would Approve Trade

RedLegSuperStar
07-27-2008, 06:25 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com:

Red Sox outfielder Manny Ramirez said today that he'd approve a trade if the team can reach one. The implication is that Ramirez would not require additional compensation to waive his no-trade power, but that's uncertain.

The quote:

"If they can get a trade, I'd approve it. If they can't trade me, then they will simply have to inform me by the end of the season that they won't use the options and we'll go separate ways."

Notice how Manny doesn't mention the possibility of his '09 option being exercised.

Dunn and Arroyo for Ramirez?

OnBaseMachine
07-27-2008, 06:46 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com:

No thanks.

Benihana
07-27-2008, 06:47 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com:

why?

CTA513
07-27-2008, 06:50 PM
I wonder if people would get on Ramirez if he did some of the crap here that he does in Boston.

KronoRed
07-27-2008, 06:50 PM
So we give away Dunn and Arroyo so we can let Manny go in the offseason for 2 picks that we'll get anyway if we let Dunn go? or we keep an aging Manny who's numbers have fallen 3 years in a row.

No thank you.

KronoRed
07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
I wonder if people would get on Ramirez if he did some of the crap here that he does in Boston.

Are you kidding? the radio guys would all have strokes.

RedLegSuperStar
07-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Righthanded bat with power.. every year that is what everyone says we need and now that Holliday and Ramirez's names are being tossed I think both would be huge increases to this offense, Holliday especially.

Boston wouldn't probably want a huge return for Man-Ram since they did put him on waivers a few years ago and no one claimed him. Plus the altercation he got into with a team repersetative and his constant "Manny Being Manny" antics.

Holliday is another story. He is signed pretty cheap and he is still considered pretty young. With his high percentage both average and ops he would demand some top teir prospects.

Patrick Bateman
07-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Ramirez is 36, hugely expensive, and most importantly a free agent. Additionally, I am about a bajillion percent sure that long term, he wouldn't have interest in playing here, and most importantly, I'd have no interest in him.

He's one of the few guys in left field that has truly game changing defense. His bat is obviously still good, but only about as good as Dunn.

Basically, he's older, more expensive and worse than Dunn. Toss in a valuable chip in Arroyo (or a roughly league average starter), and this is a trade that serves no purpose except to make us worse now, and later. It's about as bad a fit as you could find.

Spring~Fields
07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com:

Dunn, Arroyo, Affeldt, Weathers, for Ramirez, Masterson, Charlie Zink and David Pauley
Let Ramirez walk after the season if he is a FA

Matt700wlw
07-27-2008, 07:45 PM
I may break out in hives if Manny came here.....He honestly needs a kick to the giblets

Matt700wlw
07-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Manny's goal is Manny....he can hit, but I'd rather pierce my testicals than actually let Manny be Manny...

Spring~Fields
07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Manny's goal is Manny....he can hit, but I'd rather pierce my testicals than actually let Manny be Manny...

I don't want Manny, I want something in return for the free agents of the Reds, salary relief of Arroyo and the pitching from Boston. Never know what this years "young" pitching for the Reds might do next year for sure, plus more trading chips for Jocketty if needed.

Boston is the one that would not do it, not enough going there way, maybe they would with the relief pitching combined with Dunn and Arroyo. Maybe Griffey if not Dunn ? :) Take their Manny problem and then let him walk as a FA at the end.

Dunn, Arroyo, Affeldt, Weathers, for Ramirez, Masterson, Charlie Zink and David Pauley

fearofpopvol1
07-27-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't think Boston intends to be a seller in a very close division race...not this early at least.

Kc61
07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
If Dunn goes, I would sign Ramirez for two years at $30 million in the offseason. In a heartbeat.

You know all those arguments about how good a hitter Dunn is? There should be no such arguments about Manny. Great right handed hitter. Still. For two years in left field for the Reds? Absolutely. With the antics. And the bad defense.

Don't like his attitude? Red Sox seem to be doing ok, even with the attitude.

Guy is a winner, knows how to play in pressure situations, might like playing for Dusty and helping the Reds start achieving more.

It probably won't happen, but I'd do it for sure.

Spring~Fields
07-27-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't think Boston intends to be a seller in a very close division race...not this early at least.

:lol:

Are you saying that offering Boston Cincinnati's finest in exchange for a couple month's of sour grapes Manny and some prospects would make Boston a seller? :)

CTA513
07-28-2008, 12:02 AM
If Dunn goes, I would sign Ramirez for two years at $30 million in the offseason. In a heartbeat.

You know all those arguments about how good a hitter Dunn is? There should be no such arguments about Manny. Great right handed hitter. Still. For two years in left field for the Reds? Absolutely. With the antics. And the bad defense.

Don't like his attitude? Red Sox seem to be doing ok, even with the attitude.

Guy is a winner, knows how to play in pressure situations, might like playing for Dusty and helping the Reds start achieving more.

It probably won't happen, but I'd do it for sure.

Ramirez will make more than $15 million a season in free agency.

Jpup
07-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Manny wants 4 years/100 million.

MartyFan
07-28-2008, 02:14 AM
I have no desire to see Manny being Manny in Cincinnati.

I would love for the Reds to put a decent defensive squad on the field and if at all possible a team that could get on base a little bit...the pitchers would be so much better if they had any defense behind them.

BRM
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
The latest from MLBTradeRumors...Dunn is mentioned FWIW.

Dan Graziano and Ed Price of the Newark Star-Ledger (http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2008/07/manny_ramirez_has_ny_mets_atte.html) talked to an official who says the Mets and Phillies are both in "serious pursuit" of Ramirez. If so, why do both teams have no interest in Adam Dunn? Graziano and Price think Ramirez would command big-name prospects like Fernando Martinez or Lou Marson.
Sean McAdam says (http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/sp_bb_sean_mcadam28_07-28-08_N6B0RC3_v13.793b30.html) the Sox have spoken to four teams about Manny: the Phillies, Mets, Diamondbacks, and Dodgers. McAdam says Ramirez will waive his no-trade clause for a guarantee that his options will be declined. Additionally, the Red Sox might consider kicking in money to get better players in return.
Ken Davidoff of Newsday (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmtrade285780549jul28,0,1555737.story?track=rss) says the Mets aren't interested in Ramirez and continue to eye Raul Ibanez.
Paul Hagen finds no indication (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20080728_Phillies_Notebook__If_Happ_is_back__who_w ill_be_gone_.html) that the Phillies are interested. And unless Pat Burrell is included in a deal, he or Ramirez would have to play right field. Umm...no.
Jeff Passan thinks (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-manny072708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) that all things considered, Manny still might be worth keeping in Boston for $20MM in '09.

PuffyPig
07-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Holliday is another story. He is signed pretty cheap.....

Define "pretty cheap".....

Benihana
07-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Man it would be nice if we could score Fernando Martinez for Adam Dunn

Kc61
07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
The latest from MLBTradeRumors...Dunn is mentioned FWIW.

The Mets would want Manny but probably not Dunn because they want a right handed bat. They feel that the team is overly left handed, apparently.

Jpup
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Man it would be nice if we could score Fernando Martinez for Adam Dunn

Martinez could only hope to become half of Adam Dunn.

Chip R
07-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Martinez could only hope to become half of Adam Dunn.

So the best he can hope for is to be 3'3"? ;)

Jpup
07-28-2008, 01:52 PM
So the best he can hope for is to be 3'3"? ;)

..and 150 lbs.

LoganBuck
07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Griffey for Ramirez straight up. Headache for Headache

See what the lineup looks like with an actual right handed bat plus Dunn. Make decisions accordingly.

A man can dream can't he?

blumj
07-28-2008, 11:53 PM
http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2008/07/ny_mets_have_been_in_contact_w.html

Contrary to the denials that made the rounds Monday, officials from both teams say the Mets have contacted the Red Sox about Manny Ramirez and are interested in pursuing a deal for him if Boston decides to make him available.
The Red Sox suspect that GM Omar Minaya wants Ramirez more than Mets ownership does. Regardless, the Mets are reluctant to part with top-prospect talent in exchange for outfielders like Adam Dunn, Raul Ibanez, and Randy Winn, but they (rightly) consider Ramirez a far superior hitter to those in that group, and they would discuss players in a Ramirez deal that they would not discuss in others.

FWIW, I think there's a reasonable chance that the Red Sox might try to use the Mets to swap Manny for another power hitting LFer, but the Sox and Mets have been down this road before.