PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Horst

OnBaseMachine
07-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Jeremy Horst is a guy who's really starting to catch my eye. To give a little background info on him - he was drafted by the Reds in the 21st round last year out of Iowa Western Community College...he's 22 years old, pitches for Dayton, throws left handed and has a strong pitchers build with a big 6'4" 220 pound frame. According to Redsof72 Horst throws a fastball in the 89-90 mph area and has a big league caliber changeup already, and is currently working on a breaking ball. 90 mph is OK for a lefty, especially one with a plus changeup. Now if he can just develop that breaking ball he could be a very good starting pitching prospect, if not, he could always move back to the bullpen which is where he began the season though he would throw 2-3-4 innings at a time.

Take a look at his numbers:

70.2 IP, 47 H, 2 HR, 26 BB/79 K, 2.67 ERA

He looks like a definite sleeper to me.

Lockdwn11
07-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Pretty good numbers to be sure and nice frame. Thanks for the info and I will be sure to keep a eye on this kid

camisadelgolf
07-28-2008, 01:18 AM
He's almost starting to sound like a better prospect than Travis Wood, and some people would claim that Wood is a top-10 prospect in the organization.

dougdirt
07-28-2008, 01:47 AM
He's almost starting to sound like a better prospect than Travis Wood, and some people would claim that Wood is a top-10 prospect in the organization.

I am not sure I would go that far. Travis is younger than him and 2 levels ahead of him, even though he is struggling in AA currently. Put Travis in Dayton this year and I think the results would be remarkable.

camisadelgolf
07-28-2008, 01:59 AM
I am not sure I would go that far. Travis is younger than him and 2 levels ahead of him, even though he is struggling in AA currently. Put Travis in Dayton this year and I think the results would be remarkable.

That's a good point. People seem to forget how young Wood is. IIrc, the Reds have only five players who are 21 years old or younger in Sarasota or above, and Wood is the only one above Sarasota.