PDA

View Full Version : Reds Related Rumors

RedLegSuperStar
07-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Josh Fogg & Bronson Arroyo seem to be on the Rockies mind as they are in buying mode.

SI/MLBTradeRumors.com

SI.com's Jon Heyman spoke to Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd, who now says a trade of Matt Holliday or Brian Fuentes is "highly unlikely." He talked to multiple teams about both players, but hasn't found a match. Holliday could instead be shopped in the offseason.

The Rockies are in buying mode, hoping to land a back-end starter. Heyman mentions Josh Fogg and Paul Byrd. We've also seen Justin Duchscherer and Bronson Arroyo named in reports.

Also we have heard that the Yankees are interested in Arroyo as well.. Seattle is asking for Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner for Jarrod Washburn.

SI/MLBTradeRumors.com

SI.com's Jon Heyman seems to be saying the Mariners are still asking for Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner, though many think one of them would be plenty.

Fish are eyeing David Ross and lefthanded relief help..

Miami Herald

With 57 games left, the Marlins want to make sure they have more behind the plate than John Baker and Paul Hoover. The Marlins have talked to teams about catchers, and some of the names that have been mentioned in rumors are Cincinnati's David Ross and Colorado's Yorvit Torrealba, with whom the Marlins negotiated during the offseason when Torrealba was a free agent.

The Marlins also are looking for left-handed relief help."

Little to no movement expected by Dusty Baker

Reds.com

Still, Baker said he doesn't anticipate much movement, if any, with his club.

"I don't anticipate anything, unless somebody comes along with something that'll knock your socks off," Baker said. "Right now, there are a lot of people wanting to take some of our guys. It's cherry picking time, and they won't give you a whole bunch back.

"They say, 'Well, we'll take the salary off your hands. We're going places.' But we're trying to go places, too."

RedLegSuperStar
07-28-2008, 08:59 AM
If I were the Reds.. I'd look at the potential Free Agents to be and see who you want to bring back and who you could get a couple nice prospects for or perhaps a need at the moment. I know they want to win now.. but dealing a Weathers, Ross, or Fogg wouldn't set you back in my opinion..

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Wonder if the Rockies still want Josh Fogg after what they were able to do to him this weekend. Can't do much better scouting than to have your own lineup rake him like a pile of leaves.

PuffyPig
07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
...and who you could get a couple nice prospects for or perhaps a need at the moment. I know they want to win now.. but dealing a Weathers, Ross, or Fogg wouldn't set you back in my opinion..

I think Baker is saying no one is offering much, if anything, just taking the salary off your hands.

WVRedsFan
07-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I think that's what Dusty is saying, too. "Yes, we'll take Dunn or Arroyo, but we'll give you two A-ball prospects," seems to be the norm. You can't do that.

As for Fogg, I have to believe he wasn't feeling well. That was horrible even for Fogg yesterday. Thirty-something stiches in your mouth doesn't sound like a big deal, but being one who has had something similar, it effects every part of your body. I was weak for days and didn't feel well.

smith288
07-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I got hit in the mouth with a short hop once and I didnt go to school for a week. I felt and looked like hell.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Among starters, the Reds' Bronson Arroyo could use a change of scenery, and the Rockies reportedly are interested. Cincinnati is looking for athletes as it builds around Jay Bruce, Brandon Phillips and Edinson Volquez.

Perhaps most likely of the sluggers to relocate is the Reds' Adam Dunn, whose immense power plays anywhere. He's a free agent in waiting, and the Reds have to see what his value is.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080728&content_id=3211613&vkey=trade2008&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Kc61
07-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I hope the Reds don't make any deal for prospects, unless they receive one or more first-tier prospects in exchange. Watching Votto, Bruce and Cueto this year reminds me of the growing pains that building with prospects requires. Unless the prospects are really high end guys, you are running a tryout camp, a school. Votto, Bruce and Cueto are worth the bumps, but many guys aren't.

I'd rather see the Reds upgrade with solid major leaguers. In a sense, I think the Reds should be buyers (but, of course, not renters). I would be looking to trade from the minor league depth to acquire solid veterans who the Reds could control for a few years.

At this point, I would be very reluctant to trade Arroyo. Next year, Harang, Free Agent Acquisition, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto should be the expected rotation. And FA Acquisition is not a fifth starter type, but a regular rotation guy. I think two youngsters in the rotation is enough, I'd like a third good veteran.

The Reds are improved this year. I think they should continue to build it up, not tear it down.

Reds1
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
If you could get a AA prospect for Fogg that would probably work for me. :)

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Reds take Arroyo off the market

Monday, July 28, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jayson Stark
The Reds have informed other clubs that they are no longer interested in trading pitcher Bronson Arroyo. Only the Yankees and Rockies were known to have demonstrated even mild interest, anyway. But the Reds apparently were finding that the $24 million Arroyo has coming through 2010 was going to keep them from getting any worthwhile return. And the Reds weren't particularly motivated to eat any sizeable hunk of that salary. So Arroyo, who has been lobbying to stick around, will get to finish the season in Cincinnati. But he may not have heard the last trade rumor of his Reds career.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline&month=7&year=2008&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dmlb_trade_deadline%26mon th%3d7%26year%3d2008

Raisor
07-28-2008, 08:29 PM

Posted by Jayson Stark
The Reds have informed other clubs that they are no longer interested in trading pitcher Bronson Arroyo. Only the Yankees and Rockies were known to have demonstrated even mild interest, anyway. But the Reds apparently were finding that the $24 million Arroyo has coming through 2010 was going to keep them from getting any worthwhile return. And the Reds weren't particularly motivated to eat any sizeable hunk of that salary. So Arroyo, who has been lobbying to stick around, will get to finish the season in Cincinnati. But he may not have heard the last trade rumor of his Reds career.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline&month=7&year=2008&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dmlb_trade_deadline%26mon th%3d7%26year%3d2008

This should just pump up the value of Fogg.

:thumbup:

edabbs44
07-28-2008, 08:45 PM

Posted by Jayson Stark

Imagine his worth without the extension.

KoryMac5
07-28-2008, 10:15 PM
We have a philosophical shift in baseball going on. Used to be that teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox would deal good young players to win it all. Now more and more teams are holding on to this young talent. I doubt the Reds make a move this year based on this new attitude among GM's.

Always Red
07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
We have a philosophical shift in baseball going on. Used to be that teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox would deal good young players to win it all. Now more and more teams are holding on to this young talent. I doubt the Reds make a move this year based on this new attitude among GM's.

I agree. These teams have seen the light (after having been burned many times) and are not willing to shell out millions for aging talent and mediocre production when they can get the same mediocrity at MLB minimum from the guys in their own system.

AmarilloRed
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
It's starting to look like there will be no Reds trades before August 1st:

All of the Reds key trade chips -- Adam Dunn, David Weathers, David Ross, Affeldt, etc. -- seem likely to remain when Aug. 1 rolls around. The Reds haven't been too impressed with the offers they've gotten to this point.

"I don't anticipate anything, unless somebody comes along with something that'll knock your socks off," Reds manager Dusty Baker said on Sunday. "Right now, there are a lot of people wanting to take some of our guys. It's cherry picking time, and they won't give you a whole bunch back. They say, 'Well, we'll take the salary off your hands. We're going places.' But we're trying to go places, too."

-- Mark Sheldon

http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07/quiet_with_reds_affeldt.html

Mark Sheldon could be wrong, but it looks like the offers will need to get better if there are to to be any Reds trades done before the deadline.

HokieRed
07-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Would be really interesting to see the Reds do something out of the ordinary for a change: how about signing Bonds? Is there anything you can think of that would create more fan interest the rest of the way?

pahster
07-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Would be really interesting to see the Reds do something out of the ordinary for a change: how about signing Bonds? Is there anything you can think of that would create more fan interest the rest of the way?

Where's he going to play?

blumj
07-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Wherever he wants. ;)

WVRedsFan
07-29-2008, 12:09 AM

Shortstop? :)

Just kidding, of course. If Dunn is traded (which I have stated over and over that I don't think that will happen), he'd play LF. But as conservative as the city of Cincinnati is, that's not going to happen, I don't think.

This team has so many holes right now that they don't need another one.

But mark this down. If it would happen, I would not be surprised. Not one bit.

VR
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM
So, there's no market for our starting catcher? Just the backup?

buckeyenut
07-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Posada is down for season ending surgery for NYY. Do they need Ross or Valentin to fill a hole out there?

Jpup
07-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Posada is down for season ending surgery for NYY. Do they need Ross or Valentin to fill a hole out there?

No. They have an excellent catcher in Jose Molina and the rumor is they are trying to pry his brother, Bengie, from the Giants.

MikeS21
07-29-2008, 08:15 AM
It seems to me that the July 31st deadline isn't what it once was. For one thing, teams are not as active. Part of the reality is as others have said. Teams aren't willing to cough up prospects. If you look at the market, most players on the "block" are teams' overpaid underachieving players, rental players, or generally dead weight. Basically junk.

I don't expect too much movement by the Reds. There may be a minor deal or two, but nothing that will turn the season around. The trading chips the Reds have just won't bring in the horses to to make a run at 2008. Best to fall back and regroup and decide what you want the team to look like in 2009 ... and hope your amateur scouts eat their Wheaties in preparation for all those compensation picks in next June's draft.

PuffyPig
07-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Imagine his worth without the extension.

Without the extension, Arroyo would be a FA to be, and just a rental player in a trade.

He'd be worth about as much as we got for Lohse last year i.e. a Matt Maloney type (#4-5 starter), who's actually has a higher value today than when we traded for him.

REDREAD
07-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Without the extension, Arroyo would be a FA to be, and just a rental player in a trade.

He'd be worth about as much as we got for Lohse last year i.e. a Matt Maloney type (#4-5 starter), who's actually has a higher value today than when we traded for him.

I disagree. If Arroyo was a FA to be, he'd be worth quite a bit.
Certainly more than Lohse.
Lohse was a given mediocrity and had a long track record of basically being a 5.00 ERA pitcher.

On the other hand, Arroyo is streaky. He potentially can win 5 starts in a row for a good team. Of course, there's a risk because he isn't always consistent, but the upside is pretty big. Lohse had virtually no upside.

Bronson's contract makes him very hard to move. As they said, teams feel that just assuming Bronson's salary is good enough..

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Cincinnati Enquirer stated in todays paper that we had scouts at the Texas game last night scouting Salty and Laird.

I'd like to see the Reds pursue a Saltalamacchia and Blalock deal.. perhaps with Homer Bailey and some plus prospects in return as well as maybe Weathers or Affeldt.. because they are only 6.5 back in the Wild Card.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Cincinnati Enquirer stated in todays paper that we had scouts at the Texas game last night scouting Salty and Laird.

I'd like to see the Reds pursue a Saltalamacchia and Blalock deal.. perhaps with Homer Bailey and some plus prospects in return as well as maybe Weathers or Affeldt.. because they are only 6.5 back in the Wild Card.

Nice. Hopefully we can get a deal done for Salty by Thursday and shore up the catching situation. Then focus on getting a rangy shortstop and center fielder.

flyer85
07-29-2008, 04:38 PM
focus on getting a rangy shortstop and center fielder.already have the rangy SS

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
already have the rangy SS

I assume you mean Phillips? I've long been on board with moving him to shortstop. I think he could be an above average shortstop and moving him to SS opens up second base for Chris Valaika, who could be an above average hitter at second base IMO.

flyer85
07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I assume you mean Phillips? I have seen no reason he wouldn't play excellent defense at SS. Great range, strong arm, good hands. He will be a lot more valuable as a S, especially for a team that doesn't have one.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-29-2008, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=WVRedsFan;1705076]Shortstop? :)

But as conservative as the city of Cincinnati is, that's not going to happen, I don't think.

QUOTE]

Jerry Springer says hi

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 04:50 PM
I have seen no reason he wouldn't play excellent defense at SS. Great range, strong arm, good hands. He will be a lot more valuable as a S, especially for a team that doesn't have one.

I agree. Hopefully Phillips is open to moving back to shortstop because it really would solve a couple of the Reds problems. Phillips at SS is a huge upgrade defensively and offensively, and it opens up second base for Chris Valaika. The Reds get better both defensively and offensively without making a trade. Valaika's range at SS is average but he could probably be a pretty good second baseman.

Re-sign Dunn.

1B Joey Votto
2B Chris Valaika
SS Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
LF Adam Dunn
CF ?
RF Jay Bruce
C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

And Todd Frazier could be ready sometime next season too.

Raisor
07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Valaika's range at SS is average but he could probably be a pretty good second baseman.

Plus his 360/450 line in AA this year is right on line with his career minor league numbers.

Spring~Fields
07-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I agree. Hopefully Phillips is open to moving back to shortstop because it really would solve a couple of the Reds problems. Phillips at SS is a huge upgrade defensively and offensively, and it opens up second base for Chris Valaika. The Reds get better both defensively and offensively without making a trade. Valaika's range at SS is average but he could probably be a pretty good second baseman.

Re-sign Dunn.

1B Joey Votto
2B Chris Valaika
SS Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
LF Adam Dunn
CF ?
RF Jay Bruce
C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

And Todd Frazier could be ready sometime next season too.

I am glad that you guys are bringing up these players, at least it gives us some real hope. That can happen.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Plus his 360/450 line in AA this year is right on line with his career minor league numbers.

Yep. He reminds me a lot of Michael Young of the Rangers. Good solid gap power with 35-40 doubles and 15-20 homerun power.

Spring~Fields
07-29-2008, 05:13 PM
I have seen no reason he wouldn't play excellent defense at SS. Great range, strong arm, good hands. He will be a lot more valuable as a S, especially for a team that doesn't have one.

:clap:

The rest of the losing season would be a great opportunity to get him well adjusted.

redsrule2500
07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
See, the thing is, I feel like we have young people to replace most of our older "veterans" who we could trade.

Kc61
07-29-2008, 05:34 PM
See, the thing is, I feel like we have young people to replace most of our older "veterans" who we could trade.

I thought the objective was to win. So while other teams are discussing or adding CC Sabathia, Mark Texiera, Xavier Nady and Manny Ramirez, the suggestion is that the Reds promote a second baseman from AA (not even from AAA) and move Phillips away from his comfortable position?

The Reds now have several young players on the major league team. Keep them and maybe a couple of others from the farm. But primarily, get better major league players. Major league players.

Spring~Fields
07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I thought the objective was to win. So while other teams are discussing or adding CC Sabathia, Mark Texiera, Xavier Nady and Manny Ramirez, the suggestion is that the Reds promote a second baseman from AA (not even from AAA) and move Phillips away from his comfortable position?

The Reds now have several young players on the major league team. Keep them and maybe a couple of others from the farm. But primarily, get better major league players. Major league players.

Well I want them to win, I want them to sign Texiera, CC Sabathia and the Arizona second baseman Orlando Hudson during the off season, but the teams and players have a choice in the matter, so the chances are slim and none of getting them.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 11:01 AM
9:42am: I spoke too soon - the Rockies are indeed interested in Washburn. Tim Redding and Josh Fogg are a couple other names on the radar.

Ken Rosenthal characterizes the Fogg interest as legit, but feels that the Ms are just trying to stir Colorado's interest in Washburn.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

BRM
07-30-2008, 11:05 AM
I smell a Fogg for cash deal...

REDREAD
07-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Brandon Phillips seems to be a very fragile person. I don't know if we want to risk moving him out of his comfort zone. Not everyone is a Pete Rose type of guy that can play through adjusting to a new position.

I remember when the Reds tried to permanently move Aaron Boone to 2b. It affected his hitting, and ultimately proved that Boone could really only fill in at 2b (and SS) in a pinch, but not handle the job everyday.

I really doubt Phillips would handle moving to SS well. If he's moved to SS and makes a few errors and then gets booed, you can imagine that his attitude is going to get sour real quick. He'll get mad at the Reds for screwing him over, etc and it will affect his performance. Based on what I've seen of Phillips (jealousy about Hamilton, problems in Cleveland), he really needs to be handled with kid gloves. He's not the kind of person that can handle any kind of adversity.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Ken Rosenthal says the Padres are dangling Cla Meredith in trade talks. This is a guy I'd like to see the Reds go after. He doesn't handle lefties all that well but he's been death on right handed hitters. His 3-year splits have him holding RH hitters to a .572 OPS. He's having a bit of a down year so he could probably be had for a second tier prospect.

Raisor
07-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Brandon Phillips seems to be a very fragile person. I don't know if we want to risk moving him out of his comfort zone. Not everyone is a Pete Rose type of guy that can play through adjusting to a new position.

I remember when the Reds tried to permanently move Aaron Boone to 2b. It affected his hitting, and ultimately proved that Boone could really only fill in at 2b (and SS) in a pinch, but not handle the job everyday.

I really doubt Phillips would handle moving to SS well. If he's moved to SS and makes a few errors and then gets booed, you can imagine that his attitude is going to get sour real quick. He'll get mad at the Reds for screwing him over, etc and it will affect his performance. Based on what I've seen of Phillips (jealousy about Hamilton, problems in Cleveland), he really needs to be handled with kid gloves. He's not the kind of person that can handle any kind of adversity.

SS was his original position, and he seemed to handle moving away from that ok.

Raisor
07-30-2008, 11:14 AM
I smell a Fogg for cash deal...

We all get a piece of that, right?

I can feel my 8 cents burning a hole in my pocket.

Raisor
07-30-2008, 03:47 PM
ESPN.com

Marlins chasing relievers

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jerry Crasnick

The Miami Herald is reporting that the Marlins might be close to a deal for lefty reliever Arthur Rhodes. If so, it would cross one potential suitor off the list for Reds reliever Jeremy Affeldt.

Florida recently dispatched a scout to look at both Affeldt and righty David Weathers -- both of whom could be available for the right price.
----

I actually didn't have any idea that Rhodes was still in the league.

Matt700wlw
07-30-2008, 03:49 PM
What is the right price for a 38 year old reliever who's going to be a free agent, who, quite frankly, unitl recently, hasn't been much to right home about on the mound?

Let's be reasonable here, Reds...

princeton
07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
I actually didn't have any idea that Rhodes was still in the league.

I thought Ron Mahay was out years ago.

trade deadline resurrects old lefty relievers. We really should be trading Kent Mercker.

Raisor
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Isn't it time for the Jesse Orosco rumors to start up?

Rojo
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I thought Ron Mahay was out years ago.

trade deadline resurrects old lefty relievers. We really should be trading Kent Mercker.

I think MLB should name July 31st Terry Mulholland Day.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Jocketty: All quiet

Posted by JohnFay at 7/30/2008 5:40 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

With the trade deadline 22 hours away, Walt Jocketty said all is quiet as far as the Reds are concerned.

"I'd be surprised if something happens," he said. "It's been pretty quiet. I've called some teams just to talk. But everyone's saying it's quiet."

There was a report out of there of interest in Adam Dunn.

"Really?" Jocketty said. "I haven't talked to anyone about him today."

The New York Yankees getting Pudge Rodriquez eliminates their need for a catcher. The fact that Kyle Farnsworth went to Detroit in the deal may mean the Yankees are looking for bullpen help.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a912ee12a-e5c3-42ef-a3be-90d97edccdd1&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

BRM
07-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Standing pat.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 06:09 PM
TRADE TALK: “Nothing on the horizon, nothing serious,” said Baker. When told about the New York Yankees traded pitcher Kyle Farnsworth for catcher Ivan Rodriguez, Baker said, “Man, the Yankees are constantly reloading. Every year, they reload.”

Word out of Colorado is that the Rockies want Josh Fogg back, that Colorado is a steadying influence on him and the Rox play well behind him.

Fogg says he hasn’t heard a word from his many buddies on the Rockies.

“I heard it a lot earlier in the year when I wasn’t playing, when I was just sitting around. But nothing now. Not a peep. As far as I know, I’m pitching for the Reds Saturday in Washington.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Rojo
07-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Word out of Colorado is that the Rockies want Josh Fogg back, that Colorado is a steadying influence on him and the Rox play well behind him.

Fogg says he hasn’t heard a word from his many buddies on the Rockies.

“I heard it a lot earlier in the year when I wasn’t playing, when I was just sitting around. But nothing now. Not a peep. As far as I know, I’m pitching for the Reds Saturday in Washington.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

This seems persistent enough to be true. I'm guessing the Rox want him for nothing.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm guessing the Rox want him for nothing.

Fine with me.

Mario-Rijo
07-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Standing pat.

Yup and it's absolutely ludicrous. Has Walt added even 1 iota of talent to the organization since being hired to do so? Obviously the draft, but unfortunately for him it's a mandatory affair. Just the simple fact that we still have Patterson on the roster is enough of an indictment in itself. If he doesn't believe that we have a better current replacement than that in house (then we have bigger problems) then he should have signed Kenny Lofton long ago. If nothing else just DFA the guy and make it addition by subtraction.

Money is still the biggest issue with this organization believe that and BobC is just blowing smoke like all the rest about winning being the bottom line, he has just found a better way to spin it all than his predeccesors.

Welcome to the last 9 going on 10 years.

Raisor
07-30-2008, 06:54 PM
mlb.com

Just under 24 hours until the deadline and the Reds seem poised to stand pat. SI.com reported that there might finally be some interest in Adam Dunn, but no teams were named.

"There's nothing on the horizon," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "Nothing serious."

General manager Walt Jocketty is still on the road trip with the team in Houston and is expected to continue on to Washington after Wednesday's game.

-- Mark Sheldon

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 07:07 PM
The catcher market is still the one place where nothing has moved. With the Giants willing to discuss Bengie Molina, the market spent the last 24 hours re-sorting itself. The Rangers continue to hold the strongest hand, able to sell off as many as two catchers, but not needing to deal any of them. The Reds have decided against dealing David Ross as of this morning.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7881

nate
07-30-2008, 07:18 PM
MLBTR:

5:56pm: Baseball Prospectus' John Perrotto has multiple baseball sources saying the Red Sox are on the verge of sending Manny Ramirez to Florida for three players, including outfielder Mike Stanton.

M2
07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I think MLB should name July 31st Terry Mulholland Day.

That right there is the Post of the Year.

M2
07-30-2008, 08:38 PM
The Reds have decided against dealing David Ross as of this morning.

And I have decided that I am definitely NOT going to hook up with Mary Louise Parker.

Matt700wlw
07-30-2008, 08:44 PM
This organization is just boring all the way around

remdog
07-30-2008, 08:53 PM

So. You'd like to have Jim Bowden back then. He was anything but boring.

Rem

top6
07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
The Bengals' first round pick is holding out, and the Reds are doing nothing productive at the trade deadline. Welcome to July in Cincinnati!

Rojo
07-30-2008, 09:18 PM
And I have decided that I am definitely NOT going to hook up with Mary Louise Parker.

I like to do this at the bar. "Sorry ladies, Rojo is off the market". They don't show it, but I know it drives 'em nuts.

CrackerJack
07-30-2008, 10:09 PM
The Bengals' first round pick is holding out, and the Reds are doing nothing productive at the trade deadline. Welcome to July in Cincinnati!

http://ezraklein.typepad.com/blog/Monty%20Burns-tm.jpg

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 03:21 AM
I have a couple deadline wishes for today:

1. If the Rays are serious about Dunn, I ask for SS Reid Brignac and one of Jeff Niemann/Jeremy Hellickson. This is rumored to be what the Rays are asking for Bay so Walt should ask for that same package. This deal gives the Reds a young SS with big bat potential and a guy in Jeff Niemann who could step into the 5th starter role right now.

2. Acquire a young catcher from the Rangers. Offer Homer Bailey + prospects for one of Taylor Teagarden, Max Ramirez, or Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Pulling off these two deals would fill the SS, catching, and 5th starter holes leaving center field as the main focal point.

Topcat
07-31-2008, 05:09 AM

I rather personally not trade mediocre but mediocre MLB talent in exchange for crap personally. If the markets not there , a wise non idiot gm sits tight. I also adamantly state there was absolutely no damn reason Wayne Krivsky should have ever been let go as the GM. Nobody and I state nobody *yeah Billy Beane disciples* would have taken the mess that was the Red's and turned this ship around into a contender in as small of amount of time as he tried to do.

Love My Red's but names on Jersey rate secondary to name on front.

Topcat
07-31-2008, 05:14 AM
I have a couple deadline wishes for today:

1. If the Rays are serious about Dunn, I ask for SS Reid Brignac and one of Jeff Niemann/Jeremy Hellickson. This is rumored to be what the Rays are asking for Bay so Walt should ask for that same package. This deal gives the Reds a young SS with big bat potential and a guy in Jeff Niemann who could step into the 5th starter role right now.

2. Acquire a young catcher from the Rangers. Offer Homer Bailey + prospects for one of Taylor Teagarden, Max Ramirez, or Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Pulling off these two deals would fill the SS, catching, and 5th starter holes leaving center field as the main focal point.

Not directing this post directly at uou . Please understand that. But do you realize as do others who want to chuck away homer , have any idea of his age and how high end above the curve he has already reached. just on pure talent and no real idea of pitching this kid has gone to epic lengths at a very incredible young age. Phillip Hughes says Hi as does Ian Kennedy older and already guilty of not being as advertised or injured and suspect far beyond what Homer has accomplished at a far younger age.

RichRed
07-31-2008, 08:00 AM

That's huge! What time's the press conference?

Ltlabner
07-31-2008, 08:14 AM

The wining stops now!

er...uh....nevermind.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Griffey to White Sox

by Will Carroll

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Ken Griffey Jr has been traded to the White Sox. My sources called minutes after — how? C is before R on the call list, right? — to confirm this. As yet, no word on who the Reds get or, more importantly, if Griffey will approve the deal. The Reds earlier had “discussions” with the Rays regarding Adam Dunn, but I’m told that those talks did not get serious. The Reds are also expected to deal David Weathers. More on this once we have more info.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=970

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 10:20 AM
The Rangers have catchers to satisfy the needs of just about any team, and that's why they've been such a popular destination. For clubs seeking a veteran, Gerald Laird has four years of experience and an inexpensive contract. Cincinnati has expressed the most interest in him but probably would have to give up top pitching prospect Homer Bailey of LaGrange, Texas, to get a deal done.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/073108dnsporangtrade.1bc5ff1d.html

I wouldn't trade Homer for Laird but I'd deal him for one of the other three catchers the Rangers have.

Tom Servo
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Reds are interested in Nelson Cruz according to a Rangers beat writer.

corkedbat
07-31-2008, 06:47 PM

I'm willing to give the team/Jocketty a break - at least until the waiver trade deadline. He got more than I would have dreamed for KGJ and if the reports that the Reds and PaleHose are basically splitting his $$$ for the remainder of this year and the buyout, he save about $6M for the offseason.

If he wasn't being offered anything of value real (which I can believe) for our remaining pieces, then he was right not to act. Waiver deals seem to have become somewhat easier over the last few years.

The fact that Weathers, Affedlt, Majewski, Ross and even Dunn are still here today does not mean they will remain so come the end of the month. (I'd be willing to bet that one won't ). As a matter of fact, as the season gets shorter and pretenders fall by the wayside, a true contender might be willing to ante up something better than they were 24 hours ago if it fillls a hole.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm willing to give the team/Jocketty a break - at least until the waiver trade deadline. He got more than I would have dreamed for KGJ and if the reports that the Reds and PaleHose are basically splitting his $$$ for the remainder of this year and the buyout, he save about $6M for the offseason.

If he wasn't being offered anything of value real (which I can believe) for our remaining pieces, then he was right not to act. Waiver deals seem to have become somewhat easier over the last few years.

The fact that Weathers, Affedlt, Majewski, Ross and even Dunn are still here today does not mean they will remain so come the end of the month. (I'd be willing to bet that one won't ). As a matter of fact, as the season gets shorter and pretenders fall by the wayside, a true contender might be willing to ante up something better than they were 24 hours ago if it fillls a hole.

For the record...today was far from boring, I retract my comments :)

corkedbat
07-31-2008, 07:06 PM
For the record...today was far from boring, I retract my comments :)

I was willing to give you a break too. :)

buckeyenut
07-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Did anyone hear any good rumors today?

I was working all day, but I heard around noon from someone with "a relative in the front office" (you know how that goes), that Arroyo was likely to be gone by tomorrow, and the same person told me there was a blockbuster with Texas in the works around 1:30. Obviously it didn't go through, but when he shared it with me, all I could say was "Holy Sh*T if that's true!". I'm not sure if it is worth mentioning since it didn't happen, but I'll share if folks would like.

Same source also told me the Reds were into serious discussions about giving Dunn a 3 year extension.

corkedbat
07-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Did anyone hear any good rumors today?

I was working all day, but I heard around noon from someone with "a relative in the front office" (you know how that goes), that Arroyo was likely to be gone by tomorrow, and the same person told me there was a blockbuster with Texas in the works around 1:30. Obviously it didn't go through, but when he shared it with me, all I could say was "Holy Sh*T if that's true!". I'm not sure if it is worth mentioning since it didn't happen, but I'll share if folks would like.

Same source also told me the Reds were into serious discussions about giving Dunn a 3 year extension.

I'd love to hear what you buckeyenut. I'd also be extremely pleased if that were true about AD too.

It wouldn't surprise me though. I'd about given hope they would retain him a month ago, but his recent play may well have forced there hand. I'd also be pleased if it were for three years also (maybe with an option. for a 4th).

Tying-up dollars in him for 5 or 6 years makes me nervous. A shorter deal gives them a chance to develop options without him (if necessary). Besides, you can always negotiate another extension. I'd really be kihnd of surprised it he didn't insist on more years though'.

Letting AD walk would leave a gaping hole to fill in the offense and take up trade resources that could be used elsewhere (CF, C, SS, more pitching).

buckeyenut
08-01-2008, 05:41 AM
The big rumor I heard was Bronson Arroyo and Homer Bailey to Texas for ... Josh Hamilton.

Seems a little far-fetched for any number of reasons, but you can logically make the argument for it for both teams if you try. Would have been a PR nightmare for Texas probably, which might ultimately be why it didn't go through, that and neither team had a reason to pull the trigger on a deal like that right now. But it could be revisited in the offseason.

Cyclone792
08-01-2008, 06:45 AM

Whether your source is actually a viable source or not, the Dunn extension talks really aren't too surprising. I've always thought the Jocketty "we will not discuss extensions during the season" line is moreso to keep the media out of the way while discussions are ongoing. If both parties tell the media there's nothing going on and the media isn't bothering the team and the player, then it's not nearly such a large distraction.

All that said, it wouldn't be shocking at all to hear Dunn inking an extension this September.

KronoRed
08-01-2008, 12:37 PM
The big rumor I heard was Bronson Arroyo and Homer Bailey to Texas for ... Josh Hamilton.

The Rangers would be absolute fools to approve such a deal, sounds like something the Reds floated and then heard nothing but hysterical laughter in response. ;)

redsmetz
08-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Whether your source is actually a viable source or not, the Dunn extension talks really aren't too surprising. I've always thought the Jocketty "we will not discuss extensions during the season" line is moreso to keep the media out of the way while discussions are ongoing. If both parties tell the media there's nothing going on and the media isn't bothering the team and the player, then it's not nearly such a large distraction.

All that said, it wouldn't be shocking at all to hear Dunn inking an extension this September.

What Jocketty actually said was "I usually don't talk contract during the season because it's a distraction." But, as has been noted recently, he extended McGwire, Rolen and Edmonds during the season (albeit following trades for them). I think you're right though that he's basically not going to negotiate through the press. In many ways, both he and Krivsky are the anti-Bowden who made a way of life of yacking with the press.

buckeyenut
08-01-2008, 04:30 PM
The Rangers would be absolute fools to approve such a deal, sounds like something the Reds floated and then heard nothing but hysterical laughter in response. ;)Normally I would agree, but the Rangers are #1 in majors in runs scored by over 30, but have second highest ERA behind only Pittsburgh. They need a ton of pitching and this deal would do that.

All that said, I can still think of any number of reasons for them not to do this deal.

KronoRed
08-01-2008, 06:06 PM
They need pitching but Arroyo is average and Bailey is a big fat maybe could be, they can get more with a Hamilton

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 11:53 AM
The trade dead has passed but teams are still looking for help. The Rockies wouldn't mind adding a starting pitching, but they weren't about to overpay so they didn't get anything done by Thursday's deadline.

Faced it. When Cincinnati wants Ryan Spilborghs for Josh Fogg, the no thanks comes easy. Fogg may be a popular figure in the Rockies clubhouse, but good guys only go so far. Spilborghs is popular, too, and he's a consistent contributor, when he is healthy.

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/rockies/archives/2008/08/livan_rockies_a.html

Will M
08-02-2008, 05:31 PM
What Jocketty actually said was "I usually don't talk contract during the season because it's a distraction."

a distraction from all the ugly losses seems like a good thing to me.

redsmetz
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
a distraction from all the ugly losses seems like a good thing to me.

You'd think he'd want that afterall. (And he's done it in St. Louis in the past when push came to shove).