PDA

View Full Version : Will the Reds make a deal before the trade deadline?

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Simple question, will the Reds make a trade before the deadline on Thursday?

My guess is no.

flyer85
07-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I expect we'll see a small deal or two.

HokieRed
07-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes, but nothing very significant will be gotten in return--unless we can get out of something like Arroyo's contract, which would be significant just in itself.

BRM
07-28-2008, 11:54 AM

I concur. A bullpen arm or two will probably get dealt. I don't anticipate any major moves like trading Arroyo, Junior, or Dunn.

rotnoid
07-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Agreed with the posters above. I think Weathers or Affeldt are probably the most likely to go. Nothing too big though. I also have a feeling if they do anyting remotely big it would be as buyers. But it's just a hunch. Nothing to base it on at all.

guttle11
07-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Definitely agree with the consensus. Weathers or Affeldt may go, but that's probably about it. Possibly Ross if Florida gets real desperate.

With so many FAs, I think this offseason will be a defacto firesale. Maybe Dunn will get locked up, Lincoln may return, and maybe Hairston as well...but I think everyone else will be gone and they'll start building around the youngins.

gonelong
07-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Given the amount of rumors surrounding the Reds they are likely actively searching from trade partners. I suspect something will go down.

GL

cumberlandreds
07-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Like the others,nothing major. I think they are content to let the major FA's(Dunn) walk and take the draft picks.

Reds1
07-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Outside chance of Dunn, but probably not. I see a small one like Weathers, etc. Possibly Arroyo, but don't see us getting anything back so they prob hold. I mean you still need pitching and Arroyo can pitch. 5-0 in last few starts makes it possible to get something in return though. Should be fun.

redsmetz
07-28-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm with those who say "yes", but some minor deals. I think it's doubtful any of the big guns go with the market like it is. BTW, I don't buy that we need to get out from under Arroyo's contract. If we can't bear a contract like that, we need to get out of the business.

dougdirt
07-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Small deal, yes.

HotCorner
07-28-2008, 01:37 PM
I voted yes and believe the trade will involve a reliever leaving the Reds.

\\Please exceed my expectations Jocketty!

RedRoser
07-28-2008, 01:37 PM
I'll take the middle of the road approach and say that we make a deal involving one of our relievers and one of our starting pitchers. It would be somewhat surprising if we were involved in any deal with a Griffey, Dunn, Encarnacion, etc.

M2
07-28-2008, 02:16 PM

That's my take too.

cincyinco
07-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I vote no, jocketty will sit on his hands as he has done so far his entire tenure.

Spring~Fields
07-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Simple question, will the Reds make a trade before the deadline on Thursday?

My guess is no.

Nothing that impresses either of us.

KronoRed
07-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Can't rock the boat, this team is a 6 game winning streak from .500!

RedsManRick
07-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I voted 'no'. I don't think the offers out there are for anything substantial and Jocketty does not want to start his Reds' tenure with the perception of being more of the same. I don't think Jocketty wants to hang Castellini out to dry by having Krivksy fired due to not winning quickly enough and then have Jocketty selling off assets making the Reds a worse team for the remainder of the year. His political capital is worth more to him than a few marginal prospects.

AmarilloRed
07-28-2008, 10:15 PM
I voted no. I don't see Jocketty making any moves before the trade deadline; I'm not sure he will make any before the off-season.

Reds Fanatic
07-28-2008, 10:58 PM
I voted yes I think they make one or two trades but they will be fairly minor trades involving some relievers. I expect it will be similar to last year when we were all looking for trades and only the Lohse trade happened.

REDREAD
07-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't think the Reds are going to get any return that makes it worthwhile to trade anyone.

Trading Weathers or Affedlt for a junk prospect does not help the team (Would another Belisle type guy arriving in 2013 really matter?)

Given how thin our pitching staff is, a guy like Weathers actually has some value to get us through the season. No reason to just give him away. Clubs have been used to just strolling into Cincinnati at the trading deadline and looting the franchise because the team wants to dump salary. We need to change that perception.

NJReds
07-29-2008, 01:19 PM
The Mets are despirate for a corner OF and they want to add to the bullpen. They're not getting Manny and the Mariners want a ransom for Ibanez. I don't think they expect Tatis to have a 900+ OPS forever.

If Omar called Walt and offered Heilman and prospects for Dunn and Affeldt (or Weathers) ... do you think he would bite? I can't get a read on what this organization thinks of Dunn.

Screwball
07-29-2008, 01:52 PM
If Omar called Walt and offered Heilman and prospects for Dunn and Affeldt (or Weathers) ... do you think he would bite? I can't get a read on what this organization thinks of Dunn.

Not sure, but it'd all be moot if the Mets aren't one of the 10 teams Dunn will allow himself to be traded to.

NJReds
07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Not sure, but it'd all be moot if the Mets aren't one of the 10 teams Dunn will allow himself to be traded to.

I had forgotten about that until Raisor mentioned it in another thread. Although those things have a way of being worked out if necessary ($$$).