PDA

View Full Version : From ORG: Do the Reds make a move pre trading deadline??

thatcoolguy_22
07-28-2008, 05:30 PM
My guess is no. I think Walt is going to go the addition by subtraction in the offseason and hopefully spend the remaining days of the year working on a contract for Adam Dunn.

PTI (pti)
07-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Nope. They'll sit on their tails, make some meaningless roster moves this winter, and come back next year ready to once again fall painfully short of the postseason. The Reds pretty much have this maneuver down to a science.

:(

Fon Duc Tow
07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
The selfish part of me wants them to add to the roster rather than deal away what few chips they have, because after the fire sale, I always lose interest in the team. Its pretty much like saying "I give up for this year," when you sell off, even if it happens to be the smart thing to do.

The strategic part of me knows the Reds should deal anyone they can for whatever prospects they can get, and get busy working on 2011 or whenever...

This all meets somewhere in the middle with me. I'd be happy if they dealt Arroyo and Weathers for a few prospects and perhaps traded Griffey to the local retirement home for a few rocking chairs.

BLEEDS
07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
If Dunn and Arroyo are not on this team next year, we are in deep doo-doo - deeper than we already are.

We won't be able to afford anyone to replace either of them - via FA or through trades, without giving up parts of our nucleus.

Ideally we sign Dunn and trade some of our fringe guys for holes that need addressing - like Bullpen Pitchers, CF, SS, and C, not necessarily in that order, and another bullpen guy or two.

Huston Street or Sherril or the like seems like more of the move we might make.

I think Castellini's mantra of "WIN NOW" means we have to make .500 - right or wrong, that is THE only goal for this year. They can't do it with this current roster.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
07-28-2008, 07:53 PM
I would like to see how this team would do without Griffey. Or namely, Griffey in the 3 hole.

thorn
07-28-2008, 08:02 PM
No, they won't trade anyone, not even marginal players as this club is dead set on getting to .500. Not that I agree but if they do sell now Bob C might think he will contradict himself in that "We are not going to loose anymore." Kinda sends a signal the season is over, even though we already know that.

kpresidente
07-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Nope. They'll sit on their tails, make some meaningless roster moves this winter, and come back next year ready to once again fall painfully short of the postseason. The Reds pretty much have this maneuver down to a science.

:(

Who are they going to trade? Who are they going to trade for?

Gonzo? Freel? Ross? They have zero value. Griffey has zero value. Nobody's willing to give equal value for Dunn. Nobody wants Arroyo. Cordero has a no-trade clause.

Having the option to bring Weathers or Lincoln is worth more than whatever C-level prospect who'll never sniff the majors that they'd bring.

Why trade?

Stephenk29
07-28-2008, 10:30 PM
I could see Affeldt or Weathers being moved, especially Affeldt.

Slyder
07-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Who are they going to trade? Who are they going to trade for?

Gonzo? Freel? Ross? They have zero value. Griffey has zero value. Nobody's willing to give equal value for Dunn. Nobody wants Arroyo. Cordero has a no-trade clause.

Having the option to bring Weathers or Lincoln is worth more than whatever C-level prospect who'll never sniff the majors that they'd bring.

Why trade?

Because sometimes scouts make mistakes. If someone isnt going to be here might as well try and see if they can find a diamond in the rough.

kpresidente
07-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Because sometimes scouts make mistakes. If someone isnt going to be here might as well try and see if they can find a diamond in the rough.

OK. I'll buy that. But that's certainly not enough reason for all the doom-and-gloom in the post I was responding to.

Slyder
07-29-2008, 12:33 AM
OK. I'll buy that. But that's certainly not enough reason for all the doom-and-gloom in the post I was responding to.

Because that seems to be a copyrighted plot to a really bad book the Reds yearly seem to do (except 03 i think). Bring 25 guys together... feel good, stumble, refuse to trade vets in fear of chasing off a few fans, finish within 10 games of 500, call year a step in the right direction.

Ghosts of 1990
07-29-2008, 11:10 AM
I could see Affeldt or Weathers being moved, especially Affeldt.

You took the words from my mouth

GoReds33
07-29-2008, 11:13 AM
I want to see Weathers moved. However, I'm sure that teams will be asking for Affeldt. The Reds are likely trying to shop Griffey, but nobody wants him at this point.

thatcoolguy_22
07-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Honestly we are completely out of the race for 2008 however after looking at the price to acquire guys like Texeria, Sabathia and, Harden, I would like to see the Reds become buyers.

This is most definitely a BUYER'S market and we could easily add a key piece for NEXT year's team.

With this in mind who would you like to see the Reds make a push for and what would you be willing to give up in trade.