PDA

View Full Version : Harang and Hairston updates from Fay

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Harang, Hairston updates
Posted by JohnFay at 7/28/2008 5:31 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Aaron Harang (forearm) threw 31 pitches in a bullpen session.

"Ten punchouts," he said. "I threw one ball. It was borderline. Could have gone either way."

Harang was joking, but he was pleased.

"It felt really, really good," he said. "So good that I got into rapid-fire mode. I had to stop myself."

Harang will throw a live batting practice Wednesday. He's not sure what the next step after that will be. But he thinks he'll need a rehab start in the minors.

"After not throwing for two weeks, the normal shoulder soreness (is pretty bad)," he said. "I've got to build arm strength."

Jerry Hairston Jr. (hamstring) will begin a rehab assignment with Louisville tomorrow.

"He needs to go play and see what he can do," Dusty Baker said. "You don't know how many days are necessary."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aa063312f-187e-4769-8aa1-bbc22e4158c5&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

mbgrayson
07-29-2008, 12:32 AM
But before the mound session from today, there was this in today's Baseball Prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7868):

... Aaron Harang will throw from a mound on Monday. How he does there may determine the rest of his rehab. There are some whispers that the Reds would consider shutting him down. ...

Perhaps with a good mound session, that idea will be off the table. But much is made of how the injured player feels the day after the workout. My fingers are crossed.

_Sir_Charles_
07-29-2008, 12:41 AM
I watched a bit of his bullpen session and he looked pretty good. His velocity was average, but he looked very comfortable and he was getting pretty good motion on his pitches. He also looked about as happy as I've seen him all year. Hopefully his stuggles are over for the year. *crosses fingers*

harangatang
07-29-2008, 01:14 AM
Did anyone else see Harang's beard when they showed him from the dugout on FSN?.

hebroncougar
07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
I'll be honest, if I were the Reds, I'd give serious consideration to shutting him down. Give his arm 1/2 a season off after throwing a pretty good amount of innings the past couple of years heading into the final couple yeaers of his contract.

_Sir_Charles_
07-29-2008, 09:31 AM
We've got several pitchers that could use a break. What about going to a larger rotation for the remainder of the season? Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Thompson, Fogg & either Maloney or Livingston. That way we could give the pitchers heavier rest between starts and limit their innings. We could free the space up by dumping a catcher, Patterson and/or Andy Phillips/Cabrera. And then when the roster expands, we bring up the extra bats and a few live pen arms. We could also dump a pen arm or two temporarily and use some of the starters as emergency pen arms (Fogg, Livingston, Maloney). Just a thought.

Kc61
07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
We've got several pitchers that could use a break. What about going to a larger rotation for the remainder of the season? Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Thompson, Fogg & either Maloney or Livingston. That way we could give the pitchers heavier rest between starts and limit their innings. We could free the space up by dumping a catcher, Patterson and/or Andy Phillips/Cabrera. And then when the roster expands, we bring up the extra bats and a few live pen arms. We could also dump a pen arm or two temporarily and use some of the starters as emergency pen arms (Fogg, Livingston, Maloney). Just a thought.

I'm not sure it's helpful to starting pitchers to pitch every eight or nine days. Hard to get in a groove when you're hardly ever out there. Not sure whether it is more of an injury risk, but I wouldn't assume that long stretches on the bench are helpful.

My preference would be for the Reds to go with an 8-man bullpen and limit Cueto and Volquez to 90 pitches for awhile. If Harang gets back, he could be on the 90 pitch plan too. Roenicke, Pelland and Herrera are candidates to fill out the extra spots in the pen.

_Sir_Charles_
07-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with that prospect either. But shutting Volquez, Cueto & Harang down COMPLETELY seems overly drastic. So either more rest or much lower pitch counts seemed like a middle ground. If we go with lower pitch counts...then you'd need more pen arms (Roenicke & Herrera seem like the guys). But what about our over abundance of middle-lower end starters? Harang, Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo & Bailey. That leaves Fogg, Thompson, Maloney, Livingston out in the cold. I'd kind of like to see what that group can do in the bigs BEFORE we go into our major winter overhauls.

camisadelgolf
07-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Wow. I see no typos. Is Fay sick?

KronoRed
07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow. I see no typos. Is Fay sick?

Wonder who wrote it :D

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
AARON HARANG threw 50 pitches early Wednesday, a batting practice session in which Corey Patterson, Andy Phillips and Jolbert Cabrera were the batters.

All is well. He’ll do a side session Friday in Washington and if all goes well he’ll do a rehab start Monday for Class AAA Louisville of 70 to 75 pitches.

“If that goes well, I’d like to join the team and start pitching,” said Harang. “I have high expectations from myself and today went even better than expected. I threw all my pitches and everything was good except some rust on my off-speed pitches.”

Said Baker: “He threw pretty good and I was surprised with his location. It was really good. His velocity was good and his change-up was just OK. The ball was coming out of his hand free and easy.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

OnBaseMachine
08-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Harang is making a rehab start tonight in Louisville.

OnBaseMachine
08-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Harang tonight:

6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K...only 69 pitches.

Will M
08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Harang tonight:

great news

edabbs44
08-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Harang tonight:

Good stuff. But with this season where it is, they need to be extra cautious with him.

OnBaseMachine
08-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Harang sharp

Aaron Harang, pitching on rehab for Class AAA Louisville, held Toledo to no runs and five hits over six innings, throwing 69 pitches (46 strikes) while walking none and striking out six.

The plan is for him to make on more start for Louisville before possibly joining the Reds next week.

Is there a possibility Harang might makes his next start with the Reds?

"We'll see," said Baker. "We'll see how he comes out of this. The next day is always the telling day. But I was surprised to hear that he didn't walk anybody and didn't give up any runs while striking six."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/04/ddn080508spredsnotes.html

OnBaseMachine
08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Harang taking steps for return to Reds
Right-hander throws bullpen session on Wednesday
By Justice B. Hill / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Right-hander Aaron Harang had some throwing to do on Wednesday morning, and he was looking forward to it.

For Harang knows that this latest bullpen session might be his next step to coming off the disabled list (right forearm) and getting back into the Reds rotation.

His last step was his outing on Monday night for Triple-A Louisville. The numbers looked great, typical Harang stuff: six innings, 69 pitches (46 strikes), five hits but no runs. Of more interest to Harang wasn't the numbers, but what he was able to do.

"I didn't put any limitations on myself as far as what pitches to throw," he said before heading off for his 45-to-50 pitch bullpen session. "I mean, I threw everything: four-seamers, two-seamers, changeups, curveballs and sliders."

That was of interest to the Reds and manager Dusty Baker, though not as much as how Harang felt afterward.

Just fine, Harang told them.

"I had the normal soreness [Tuesday] with everything," he said. "I won't know more until I get out there and throw more in a little bit -- but just the normal stiffness from the day after."

Harang, who went on the disabled list on July 13, didn't put any timetable to when he might be ready to resume his spot in the Reds rotation.

"I'm just kinda taking it day by day right now," he said. "I'm not trying to get too far ahead of myself, and I just really want make sure I'm ready to go."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080806&content_id=3263008&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

BRM
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Per Fay:

Jerry Hairston Jr. is testing his right hamstring as we speak. Lots of discussion between sprints. My guess is he goes back on the DL.

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
I hope he goes back on the DL and they callup Chris Dickerson. No sense in keeping Hairston on the roster when he's clearly hurting and there is a solid option in AAA like Dickerson.

BRM
08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I hope he goes back on the DL and they callup Chris Dickerson. No sense in keeping Hairston on the roster when he's clearly hurting and there is a solid option in AAA like Dickerson.

Yeah, the team could use the pinch-running help.

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2008, 06:53 PM
On Hairston, Harang
Posted by JohnFay at 8/7/2008 5:13 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Jerry Hairston Jr. thinks he's a couple of days away. "If I was a first baseman, I could play right now," he said. "But in center field, you've got to run everything down. The last thing we want is another setback."

"I'm dying to put Jerry in there," Dusty Baker said. "But we want him to stay in there."

Aaron Harang will probably start Sunday. "We've been trying to give (Edinson) Volquez an extra day," Baker said. Harang threw a regular bullpen session today. He's had no pain from his strained forearm.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a37b3488b-93b9-491b-a8bf-d07c32f59d95&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Seeing Volquez pushed back is kind of bittersweet for me. I'm leaving for Cincy tomorrow morning to watch the next three games and I was pretty pumped about getting to see both Cueto and Volquez pitch, but OTOH, Volquez is tiring out and an extra day of rest or two should be good for him. Still, I'm happy to see Harang pitch as he always pitches well when I'm in attendance. As for Hairston, just put him on the DL already and callup Chris Dickerson. I have no clue why Dusty and Walt continue to salivate over Hairston...dude is a career backup having a nice hot streak. He's not the future. Bring up Dickerson and let him get a chance to show what he's got.

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Hairston is shooting for a couple of days more, but Baker says, “There is the Hairston Plan and there is our plan. We’ll see.”

Because the Reds are 17 games out of first place with only 47 to go, it really doesn’t mean that much. But Baker knows the Reds are 28-18 when Hairston starts, “And we want to win as many games as we can.”

There is still talk of finishing above .500, finishing 82-80. Yeah, right. To do that, the Reds would have to go 30-17 the rest of the way.

Yeah, right. And I’m pitching tomorrow.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

BRM
08-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Per Fay.

Aaron Harang will start Sunday. Edinson Volquez will be moved back to Tuesday, giving him two extra days. He doesn't think he needs it. He's not happy with people saying he's tired because of Winter Ball. "I threw eight innings in Winter Ball," he said. "How is that going to make me tired."

But he understands why the Reds are doing what they're doing.

"Harang needs to be in the rotation if we're going to win," Volquez said.

No word on who's out of the rotation.

Jerry Hairston Jr. obviously is out for another day. Is getting close?

"Closer," Dusty Baker said.

Strikes Out Looking
08-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Not putting Jerry Hairston on the dl last week was just a stupid, stupid move. They have no reserves--they have 3 bad catchers on the 25 man roster and Bronson Arroyo is probably the teams best pinch hitting candidate right now.

It's like they are playing for the top draft pick in the NBA draft right now.

mbgrayson
08-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Not putting Jerry Hairston on the dl last week was just a stupid, stupid move. They have no reserves--they have 3 bad catchers on the 25 man roster and Bronson Arroyo is probably the teams best pinch hitting candidate right now.

It's like they are playing for the top draft pick in the NBA draft right now.

That's not a bad idea. We might actually be able to win some games if we palyed other MLB teams in basketball.

KronoRed
08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
That's not a bad idea. We might actually be able to win some games if we palyed other MLB teams in basketball.

I like Dunn at Center, and Bruce at the point, Phillips would be an ok guard but he'd probably foul out swinging at the ball every time it went by him.

Always Red
08-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah, right. And I’m pitching tomorrow.

How's your slider?

:D

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Before Aaron Harang threw his first pitch, a scout asked, “Why are they pitching him after only one rehab start in Louisville? Have they looked at the standings? Do they want to ruin the guy? Bad idea.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

KronoRed
08-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Because "we're trying to win as many games as possible"

camisadelgolf
08-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Ruin the guy? What does he mean? Do throwing pitches in Cincinnati cause more damage to the arm than throwing pitches in Louisville?

WVRedsFan
08-11-2008, 01:40 AM
Before Aaron Harang threw his first pitch, a scout asked, “Why are they pitching him after only one rehab start in Louisville? Have they looked at the standings? Do they want to ruin the guy? Bad idea.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Excellent.

What a season. We have gone from hope to hopelessness. Even the media is doubting this team. And they wonder why Marty and Jeff are so negative. Watching this night after night could be admissable in court as a reason for disability benefits.

OnBaseMachine
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
HAIRSTON UPDATE: Jerry Hairston Jr.'s status is the same: better, but not good enough to start.

"I just don't think he's quite to point where he thinks he is - ready to play center field every day," Baker said. "He's better. He's closer. Whenever you've been injured, you've got to get past the psychological part."

The Reds are being very cautious because they're dealing with a hamstring problem with a player whose game revolves around speed.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080813/SPT04/808130419/1071

OnBaseMachine
08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Is Dusty seriously going to play Hairston in center field over Chris Dickerson? I've seen Hairston play center field and I'm not very impressed with him out there. Dickerson should play center field and Hairston left field IMO.

CTA513
08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
HAIRSTON UPDATE: Jerry Hairston Jr.'s status is the same: better, but not good enough to start.

"I just don't think he's quite to point where he thinks he is - ready to play center field every day," Baker said. "He's better. He's closer. Whenever you've been injured, you've got to get past the psychological part."

The Reds are being very cautious because they're dealing with a hamstring problem with a player whose game revolves around speed.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080813/SPT04/808130419/1071

Should have put him back on the DL a while ago.

RedsManRick
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM

I wonder if Dusty realizes that given the presence of Dickerson, Hairston is a LF now...

KronoRed
08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
I wonder if Dusty realizes that given the presence of Dickerson, Hairston is a LF now...

Nah, he's a SS now ;)

Team Clark
08-13-2008, 02:22 PM

Translation.... "My boy Patterson is playing and you're not"

mth123
08-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Is Dusty seriously going to play Hairston in center field over Chris Dickerson? I've seen Hairston play center field and I'm not very impressed with him out there. Dickerson should play center field and Hairston left field IMO.

I'm guessing they know what they have defensively in Dickerson and just want him in the line-up to see him hit. Hairston OTOH is being looked at to see if he can actually handle CF. I think Jocketty wants him out there to evaluate him (or pass him off to somebody as a CF).

Always Red
08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Translation.... "My boy Patterson is playing and you're not"

If it really is true that Patterson is dating or married to Dusty's daughter, and the FO was not aware of it, then, IMHO, Dusty should be fired immediately for nepotism. At least when the Boone boys were slumping, Bob put them on the bench. And neither of them ever sucked as much as Corey and yet he still has an MLB job.

I've actually been a lukewarm supporter of CP in CF- I think he's the best pure CF the Reds have had out there since Cameron. Of course, he cannot hit, nor can he runt he bases. The more I consider that Dusty has an ulterior motive, the madder I get about this.

OnBaseMachine
08-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Hairston starts tonight

Jerry Hairston Jr. pinch-hit and singled Wednesday night, but it wasn't the at-bat Baker watched. It was how Hairston ran and how he slid to test his sore hamstring.

"He's close, very close," Baker said. "In fact, he'll start Friday against the Cardinals, either in left field or shortstop. Jeff Keppinger (shortstop) looks like he is coming out of it (a slump)."

Keppinger had two hits Wednesday.

"And hit the ball hard three times," Baker said.

Keppinger was 4-for-37 (.108) before his two hits Wednesday.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/15/ddn081508spredsnotesweb.html

BRM
08-15-2008, 11:22 AM
So, who will start in CF? Dickerson or Patterson?

RedsManRick
08-15-2008, 11:24 AM

Exactly. Should be an interested test for Dusty.

KronoRed
08-15-2008, 01:45 PM

I know who my money is on.:cool:

Spring~Fields
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
I know who my money is on.:cool:

Going to start calling you "easy money" :)

Dickerson hasn't ever started a game in center for the Reds has he?

Spring~Fields
08-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Hairston starts tonight

Jerry Hairston Jr. pinch-hit and singled Wednesday night, but it wasn't the at-bat Baker watched. It was how Hairston ran and how he slid to test his sore hamstring.

"He's close, very close," Baker said. "In fact, he'll start Friday against the Cardinals, either in left field or shortstop. Jeff Keppinger (shortstop) looks like he is coming out of it (a slump)."

Keppinger had two hits Wednesday.

"And hit the ball hard three times," Baker said.

Keppinger was 4-for-37 (.108) before his two hits Wednesday.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/15/ddn081508spredsnotesweb.html

I thought that Hairston spent most of his career at second base and that Patterson and Dickerson have spent most of the careers in centerfield?

Is Rosales going to get a start before they send him down?

I got the impression from the media that the “young” or new players called up were going to get the playing time now. Hannigan, Dickerson, Rosales, Bruce, Votto when he comes back etc. ??

Team Clark
08-15-2008, 02:40 PM
If it really is true that Patterson is dating or married to Dusty's daughter, and the FO was not aware of it, then, IMHO, Dusty should be fired immediately for nepotism. At least when the Boone boys were slumping, Bob put them on the bench. And neither of them ever sucked as much as Corey and yet he still has an MLB job.

I've actually been a lukewarm supporter of CP in CF- I think he's the best pure CF the Reds have had out there since Cameron. Of course, he cannot hit, nor can he runt he bases. The more I consider that Dusty has an ulterior motive, the madder I get about this.

I wonder a bit myself. Seems like Patterson is hitting the ball better the last 3 games. Maybe he's just an under the radar guy who can't handle the pressure of playing for a 4th place club. He may only do well for last place teams. I did a quick look back. Over his last 51 AB's he's hitting .215. Forget OBP and OPS because they are abysmal too.

camisadelgolf
08-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Rosales is staying. It would be a waste of an option year to send him down before September.

Spring~Fields
08-15-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm pretty sure Rosales is staying. It would be a waste of an option year to send him down before September.

I hope that your correct, I wanted to see him play a bit and see what he might bring to the team. We already know about the ones that have been with the team for most of the year.