PDA

View Full Version : Trade deadline thread

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Since we already have a Reds related rumor thread I thought I'd start a thread for non-Reds rumors and trades.

Source: D'backs and Braves deep into Teixeira trade talk

By 'Duk

While everyone is going agog over the Manny trade speculation that will most likely ultimately go nowhere, the wheeling and dealing for a much more attainable difference maker in Mark Teixeira is flying under the radar.

That could change quickly, though, because a front office source from another team interested in Teixeira just told Yahoo! Sports' Steve Henson that negotiations between the Diamondbacks and Braves were "pretty far along." The Braves are said to be asking for a prospect and either Conor Jackson or Chad Tracy in return.

Teixeira will be a free agent at the end of the season and a trade would mark the second time in as many years that the slugger was swapped at the trading deadline. The Braves gave up Jarrod Saltalamacchia and four minor leaguers to pry Tex from the Rangers last season.

If it goes through, it'd be a good trade for the D'backs, whose middling offense could use Texeira's power down the stretch while trying to fend off the Dodgers. Meanwhile, Tracy is scheduled to make $4.5 million next year in the last year of his deal while Jackson will be arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Source-D-backs-and-Braves-deep-into-Teixeira-tr;_ylt=AhRQ5p0XGVRRxBowpnW4g1URvLYF?urn=mlb,96484

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Rockies likely to keep Fuentes

Monday, July 28, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Andrew Marchand
An executive involved in the Brian Fuentes trade talks says the Rockies are "pulling back" and don't seem like they intend to trade him now that they are moving into contention in the National League West. The Mets are still among the teams interested in Fuentes.

Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd told SI.com that it's "highly unlikely" Colorado would trade Fuentes or Matt Holliday.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline&month=7&year=2008&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dmlb_trade_deadline%26mon th%3d7%26year%3d2008

RedsManRick
07-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Conor Jackson: 392 PA, .324/.407/.512
Mark Teixeira: 447 PA, .281/.389/.507

Jackson in 26, under control through 2011, and has hit as well on the road as he has at home. Trading Jackson for Teix wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. Trading Tracy makes a lot more sense.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Conor Jackson: 392 PA, .324/.407/.512
Mark Teixeira: 447 PA, .281/.389/.507

Jackson in 26, under control through 2011, and has hit as well on the road as he has at home. Trading Jackson for Teix wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. Trading Tracy makes a lot more sense.

Yeah I don't get that either. Trading Conor Jackson for Teixeira straight up is a bad deal for the DBacks, adding in a prospect only makes it worse. Now Chad Tracy + a prospect for Tex is a good deal.

Nugget
07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Thats why the Braves are asking for Jackson - maybe the D'Backs will say Tracy + a better prospect. See what the Braves will take and how much the D'Backs think they need Teixeira.

klw
07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Rumor: Roy Halladay on the block
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080728&content_id=3211613&vkey=trade2008&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

What would be a fair Reds offer for him?

CTA513
07-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Rumor: Roy Halladay on the block
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080728&content_id=3211613&vkey=trade2008&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

What would be a fair Reds offer for him?

I don't know, but I love to have Halladay in the Reds rotation.

klw
07-28-2008, 09:59 PM
For it to be considered I think it would need to be something like Cueto, Frazier, Roenicke and Stubbs.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 10:00 PM
For it to be considered I think it would need to be something like Cueto, Frazier, Roenicke and Stubbs.

A big no thanks from me.

Reds Fanatic
07-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Some updates from the ESPN blog:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline&month=7&year=2008&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dmlb_trade_deadline%26mon th%3d7%26year%3d2008

Astros remaining aggressive in market

Posted by Buster Olney

No one can accuse the Houston Astros of being quitters. Despite the fact that Houston is 12 1/2 games out of first place in the NL Central, the Astros continue to look to be buyers before the trade deadline, rather than sellers. Rival teams report that the Astros are calling around in search of a high-profile, experienced reliever who might serve as a complement to Doug Brocail as Houston makes its push for a playoff spot in August and September.

Some teams, including the Colorado Rockies, have shown interest in veteran right-hander Paul Byrd of the Indians. Byrd is 4-10 with a 5.14 ERA this season, and if the Indians don't deal him before Thursday's deadline, he might be the classic example of a pitcher who could be moved in August, as he passes through waivers.

Rival executives report that there is some anger within the Seattle hierarchy about the way the negotiations with the Yankees for Jarrod Washburn have played out publicly, and an NL executive who has been in contact with the Mariners on Monday says he wouldn't be surprised if Seattle works to deliver the lefty to another team, even if it means swallowing many dollars. The Yankees have made it clear that they are willing to take Washburn's contract -- he is still owed about $14 million for the rest of this year and next -- but won't give up a major prospect. The teams generally in the market for starting pitchers have been the Cardinals and Rockies.

Sources: Red Sox interested in Tejada

Posted by Enrique Rojas

The Red Sox have had discussions with the Astros about shortstop Miguel Tejada, sources told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas.

One source said the conversations between the two teams had just started. Another source, one close to Tejada, said the Red Sox and Astros have been in talks for some time now about a trade.

"I feel good in Houston, but I wouldn't be afraid to accept the challenge of playing in Boston," Tejada said in a telephone interview.

Cubs shopping lefty reliever Eyre

Posted by Jayson Stark

Add another left-handed reliever to your deadline shopping lists. Teams that have spoken with the Cubs -- who, incredibly, now have too much pitching -- report they're calling around to American League clubs to gauge interest in left-hander Scott Eyre. Among teams expected to be in the mix: the Rays, Red Sox and Tigers.

klw
07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
A big no thanks from me.

It's Stubbs that's the holdup for you. Am I right or I am right? Right? Right? Right? :D

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 10:04 PM
It's Subbs that's the holdup for you. Am I right or I am right? Right? Right? Right? :D

Oh yeah. ;)

klw
07-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Oh yeah. ;)

Well how about Bailey, Valaika, Viola and Stubbs?

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 10:17 PM

Jays wouldn't do that. The Reds couldn't acquire Halladay without trading one of Bruce/Cueto/Volquez and I wouldn't deal any of them.

klw
07-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Jays wouldn't do that. The Reds couldn't acquire Halladay without trading one of Bruce/Cueto/Volquez and I wouldn't deal any of them.

I concur on the price but it is late, I'm tired and when I read Bruce/Cueto/Volquez, my brain read it as Bako.

CTA513
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM

I would do it, but I would think the Blue Jays would want a better return.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Calm before storm for A's?

If you aren't nailed to the clubhouse floor in Oakland, you might be headed elsewhere by Thursday's non-waiver trade deadline. That's what the rumor mill would have you believe, and more than a few Athletics are convinced that it's true now that the team is starting to look overmatched and undermanned in the AL West. Closer Huston Street has been mentioned in trade rumors for weeks, most recently regarding the Mets, while the Rockies are said to have inquired about All-Star starter Justin Duchscherer. Duchscherer for Matt Holliday is a possibility, according to two sources, and the A's also have reportedly chatted with the Pirates about acquiring outfielder Jason Bay, although Pittsburgh's asking price might be too high. A's second baseman Mark Ellis, a free agent at the end of the year, hasn't been mentioned in many rumors, but he's no doubt available, too. "If your name isn't Carlos Gonzalez or Ryan Sweeney," said one A's veteran, referring to Oakland's apparently untouchable rookie outfielders, "you could be gone tomorrow." --Mychael Urban

http://trades.mlblogs.com/

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Mahay going to Phillies?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jayson Stark
Left-handed reliever Ron Mahay could be on the verge of heading to the Phillies.

According to clubs that have been speaking with the Royals, they've been having extensive conversations with the Phillies about a trade that would send Mahay to Philadelphia for shortstop prospect Jason Donald, a member of the U.S. Olympic baseball team.

It's believed that as many as 10 teams have contacted the Royals about Mahay, who is signed for next year at $4 million. Most of them have come away with the impression the Royals weren't motivated to trade him. But in Donald, the Phillies have a commodity Kansas City has been searching for aggressively. So the fit appears better with the Phillies than with any of the other teams on the Royals' list.

Heck, I'd offer Affeldt and Ross for Donald and see if the Phillies bite.

Raisor
07-29-2008, 02:26 PM
ESPN News is reporting that the Braves have lost Tim Hudson for the year, and he may need Tommy John surgery.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 02:29 PM
ESPN News is reporting that the Braves have lost Tim Hudson for the year, and he may need Tommy John surgery.

Ouch. If that's the case then the Braves just need to go into full rebuild mode.

Cyclone792
07-29-2008, 02:31 PM

Walt Jocketty needs to be on the phone telling them that they need all the Josh Fogg they can handle.

I don't even care what the return is. At this point whatever prevents me from ever having to watch him pitch in a Reds uniform down at GABP again works for me.

flyer85
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Walt Jocketty needs to be on the phone telling them that they need all the Josh Fogg they can handle.

I don't even care what the return is. At this point whatever prevents me from ever having to watch him pitch in a Reds uniform down at GABP again works for me.it is just not a sellers market ... the Reds can trade their "trash" but it won't get them much.

Cyclone792
07-29-2008, 02:36 PM
it is just not a sellers market ... the Reds can trade their "trash" but it won't get them much.

That'll work; Fogg for trash. And I do mean trash literally. Ship a few full Hefty bags over to GABP and we'll call it a deal.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Attention on Texas catchers

Posted by Peter Gammons
The Rangers are one of the only teams with catching depth in Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Gerald Laird, Taylor Teagarden and Max Ramirez, and nearly eight teams have been trying to deal for one. The Yankees are one of several clubs in on Laird, and Boston is in on Teagarden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3509699&name=mlb_trade_deadline

BRM
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Has Guillen been happy anywhere?

According to ESPN's Enrique Rojas (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3509805), Royals outfielder Jose Guillen is unhappy in Kansas City and wants out. He is reportedly not on speaking terms with manager Trey Hillman. He also doesn't think the Royals are doing enough for build a contender for 2009-10.

Guillen would even defer some of the $24MM owed to him for 2009-10, if it would increase the chances of a trade. He is hitting .260/.287/.446 in 408 plate appearances, which is actually pretty bad. 29 left fielders have been more productive this year, including Willie Harris.

ESPN's Jayson Stark (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3503003&type=story) wrote on Thursday that the Braves asked about Guillen but the Royals wanted a cornerstone-type player like Gorkys Hernandez in return.

PuffyPig
07-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't even care what the return is. At this point whatever prevents me from ever having to watch him pitch in a Reds uniform down at GABP again works for me.

It might be easier on the Reds for you simply to choose not to show up and watch when Fogg is scheduled to pitch.

In other words, you can prevent yourself from watching.;)

Cyclone792
07-29-2008, 04:28 PM
It might be easier on the Reds for you simply to choose not to show up and watch when Fogg is scheduled to pitch.

In other words, you can prevent yourself from watching.;)

Oh I know. It's disheartening when Fogg is scheduled to pitch on days in which I already have tickets. And the sad thing is nobody else wants to watch him pitch either; I can't give the tickets away.

PuffyPig
07-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Oh I know. It's disheartening when Fogg is scheduled to pitch on days in which I already have tickets. And the sad thing is nobody else wants to watch him pitch either; I can't give the tickets away.

I don't go to any game to watch one player.

The Reds are 5-3 when Fogg starts, so you have missed a lot of good games.

Fogg also has a game score of over 50 in 3 of his last 4 starts, so he's been pitching OK recently.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Kotchman for Teixeira in works

Posted by Jayson Stark
Angels first baseman Casey Kotchman was pulled off the field during pregame warmups this afternoon at Fenway Park. And there are strong indications he is about to be traded to the Braves for Mark Teixeira, according to a source with knowledge of those discussions. Details are still being finalized, and additional, lesser names are expected to be involved. But Kotchman for Teixeira is the core of this deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline

Cyclone792
07-29-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't go to any game to watch one player.

The Reds are 5-3 when Fogg starts, so you have missed a lot of good games.

Fogg also has a game score of over 50 in 3 of his last 4 starts, so he's been pitching OK recently.

Well if you're in situation where you're limited in games that you can attend, I can understand that.

But I can pretty much attend any of about 75 games if I so choose. Really only the business day specials are games that I may not be able to attend. With a high supply of games, my demand for watching Fogg and Reds pitchers of his ilk just doesn't exist. I've seen him make four starts in person, and he's been shelled in three of those starts.

But watching Fogg get lit up isn't anything new.

I was there for the Phillies' 13-run inning in 2003. I was there for the Dodgers' 10-run 1st inning in 2005 - also known as the infamous Dan O'Brien laugher. I was there for countless Milton and Ortiz starts in 2005. Bad memories linger from Luke Hudson, Jose Acevedo, Jimmy Haynes, Jimmy Anderson, and Jeff Austin. I saw all of those clowns pitch live either in GABP or the old dump known as Riverfront.

Heck, I remember cringing to Jason Bere in 1999.

For the people who can't attend many games, sure bad baseball is probably better than no baseball. But I've seen so much bad baseball, especially bad pitching, that it's just all become forgettable ... except for a few of the truly bad games since those are just too funny to forget. It's actually become a sort of inside joke amongst some of my buddies and I. All I have to do is utter the words "Dempster Phillies" or "Paul Wilson Dodgers" and they'll shake their head while laughing. They were there. They know what happened. They know precisely where they were sitting when it happened too.

Then again, maybe Josh Fogg can step up and give me one of those games before he moves on - Sunday's game against Colorado was pretty close to qualifying.

Matt700wlw
07-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Angels get Tex - the best team in baseball just got even better

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8391756

Buckeye33
07-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Kotchman for Teixeira in works

Posted by Jayson Stark
Angels first baseman Casey Kotchman was pulled off the field during pregame warmups this afternoon at Fenway Park. And there are strong indications he is about to be traded to the Braves for Mark Teixeira, according to a source with knowledge of those discussions. Details are still being finalized, and additional, lesser names are expected to be involved. But Kotchman for Teixeira is the core of this deal.

This is a really really great deal for the Braves if it happens and they don't give up any real prospects as part of the "lesser names".

No way were they going to sign Teixeria in the off season and Kotchman is ready to take off and already has this season.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Angels got Tex - the best team in baseball just got even better

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8391756

Not the best team according to their pythag. A solid team, but they are playing way over their head this year.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/standings.php

Still, a great pickup for them.

Spitball
07-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Teixeira to Angels for Kotchman and Steve Marek.

Note: I type too slowly.

RedsManRick
07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Considering what the Braves gave up to land Teix, this has to be quite disappointing for them. Kotchman is nothing special at all and Marek is a 24 year old in his first run at AA ball.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Considering what the Braves gave up to land Teix, this has to be quite disappointing for them. Kotchman is nothing special at all and Marek is a 24 year old in his first run at AA ball.

Agreed. The Rangers robbed the Braves in that trade and the Braves turn around and deal him for a guy whose walk rate has dropped off and his power has yet to develop. I like this deal a lot from the Angels perspective.

blumj
07-29-2008, 06:18 PM
At least they had Teixeira for a year. The Angels are really just renting him for some postseason ABs, since they hardly need him to get in. I like Kotchman as a player, though. He may not be special, but he's a good player and he's still only 25.

IslandRed
07-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Not the best team according to their pythag. A solid team, but they are playing way over their head this year.

And it's reached the point where that doesn't much matter. The Angels are going to make the playoffs, and Tex will give them a better chance to win in October, IMHO. It's worth noting they're tied with the Red Sox as of today at the top of BP's "Secret Sauce" rating.

M2
07-29-2008, 06:31 PM

What the Braves gave up for Teixeira is still theoretical. It could pan out to be a great haul or the kids could fizzle. What they've already gotten from Teixeira and Mahay could turn out to be worth more than what those kids ever accomplish as a whole. And Kotchman (not a particular favorite of mine) and Marek could also outpace that flotilla of kids.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2008, 06:31 PM
And it's reached the point where that doesn't much matter. The Angels are going to make the playoffs, and Tex will give them a better chance to win in October, IMHO. It's worth noting they're tied with the Red Sox as of today at the top of BP's "Secret Sauce" rating.

I never said they wouldn't make the playoffs, just that they were not the best team in baseball. No team has been luckier, based on RS/RA.

The addition of Tex has made them a lot stronger, however.

M2
07-29-2008, 06:33 PM

I think this was a "beat Boston" move. They're worried about getting mugged in October again (a legitimate concern).

blumj
07-29-2008, 06:39 PM
I think this was a "beat Boston" move. They're worried about getting mugged in October again (a legitimate concern).
Not that it necessarily means anything, but Kotchman just kills the Red Sox, like Fenway Park is his favorite place in the world and Red Sox pitchers are throwing him BP. Teixeira has been very ordinary against the Red Sox.

Cedric
07-29-2008, 07:48 PM
For some reason the Angels don't get a pass for their recent post season failures. It's only a crap shoot when the Angels aren't involved.

Something tells me that might have to do with the way the Angels run their team.

jojo
07-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Agreed. The Rangers robbed the Braves in that trade and the Braves turn around and deal him for a guy whose walk rate has dropped off and his power has yet to develop. I like this deal a lot from the Angels perspective.

I like it from the Braves standpoint. They've got a first baseman who has been a league average to slightly above average bat at first who also has significant defensive value as well. In other words they traded 2 months of meaningless production form Tex for 3+ years of an above average first baseman with an excellent relief prospect thrown in to boot.

The Braves are probably disappointed that their playoff hopes didn't materialize but I'm sure they're happy with the outcome of this trade.

flyer85
07-29-2008, 08:19 PM
The Braves are probably disappointed that their playoff hopes didn't materialize but I'm sure they're happy with the outcome of this trade.I'm not sure moving forward that there the numbers of Kotchman and Tex will be all that different. Braves did nicely.

M2
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
For some reason the Angels don't get a pass for their recent post season failures. It's only a crap shoot when the Angels aren't involved.

Something tells me that might have to do with the way the Angels run their team.

IMO, the Angels' postseason problem is that when they've lost, it's been ugly. The Sox (Red and White) have beaten them up the last three times they've played October baseball and it's created the perhaps unfair perception that Los Anaheim is a feeble pretender to the crown.

I actually think there's something to that. Vlad Guerrero has carried that offense for too long (in fact I'm morally convinced he's been the most valuable player of the 21st century for the solo offense lifting he's done for Montreal and Los Anaheim). Good pitching has been able to shut them down (only 27 runs in the 11 games of those three playoff losses) and more powerful lineups have pounded them (67 runs in those same 11 games).

That said, I respect the Angels for having their own style. It beats every team trying to play the game the same way.

flyer85
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
wonder if Arroyo is back on the market

Always Red
07-29-2008, 09:34 PM
wonder if Arroyo is back on the market

If so, he has no value...

HokieRed
07-29-2008, 09:44 PM
He's not even a league average starter and he's going to cost 11 million. Is there anybody who envies Walt Jocketty the job of rebuilding this organization with obstacles like that in the way?

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 09:47 PM
He's not even a league average starter and he's going to cost 11 million. Is there anybody who envies Walt Jocketty the job of rebuilding this organization with obstacles like that in the way?

Poor Walt. He has to inherit a team with such talent as Adam Dunn, Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Edwin Encarnacion, Brandon Phillips, Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Jared Burton, Bill Bray, and Francisco Cordero and a pretty strong farm system.

jojo
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Poor Walt. He has to inherit a team with such talent as Adam Dunn, Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Edwin Encarnacion, Brandon Phillips, Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Jared Burton, Bill Bray, and Francisco Cordero and a pretty strong farm system.

Truth be told, it's not a good team yet and the best of the farm has went to market leaving mostly seeds in the ground.

HokieRed
07-29-2008, 09:54 PM
I hate to say it, OBM, but that talent is not nearly as good as RZers think. Some of it may be some day, but the book is still way out on a lot of it. Dunn will be gone because he can't be afforded, given the many problems needing to be fixed. Bruce--thanks to the GM I liked, O'Brien--is a real talent in the making. It's not at all clear that Votto will hit enough to be an everyday first baseman (do you want to compare him to Berkman, Howard, Teixeira, guys like that?). EE is a top third offensive third-baseman, bottom third defensive guy. Phillips is a top third offensive 2b and a great defender, not nearly the 4 hitter he's forced to be on this team. Cueto and Volquez are promising, very inexperienced pitchers. Harang is hurt. Arroyo is a massively over-valued, overpaid, marginal 4th starter with around a 6.00 ERA. Burton is a fine set-up, Bray is a promising young pitcher who, to date, has not shown he's a dependable reliever, and Cordero is easily the most overpaid reliever in baseball. That adds us up about a 5th place team, and it's not going to be easy to get what's needed to make it better.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Truth be told, it's not a good team yet and the best of the farm has went to market leaving mostly seeds in the ground.

No doubt about it that this isn't a good team right now, but with a few solid moves this team will be ready to win IMO. Find a center fielder, shortstop, catcher and a solid 5th starter and this team is ready to make September baseball more interesting in Cincy.

jojo
07-29-2008, 10:23 PM
No doubt about it that this isn't a good team right now, but with a few solid moves this team will be ready to win IMO. Find a center fielder, shortstop, catcher and a solid 5th starter and this team is ready to make September baseball more interesting in Cincy.

That's three premium positions. The fifth starter should be pretty doable though.

edabbs44
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM

Does the payroll have enough bandwidth to make that happen? Because we aren't talking about getting league average players at those positions.

Matt700wlw
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM

There's baseball in September in Cincinnati?

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 01:35 AM
That's three premium positions. The fifth starter should be pretty doable though.

True but one can be fixed within the organization. Move Phillips to SS and insert Chris Valaika at second base. Acquiring a guy like Salty would shore up the catching position and leave CF as the remaining question mark.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Pirates talking to Rays about Bay

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Buster Olney
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported today that the Pirates are deep into talks with the Rays about Jason Bay. Separately, with about 29 hours to go before the trade deadline, sources indicate to ESPN that while nothing is imminent, the two sides are talking constructively and trying to bridge the gap.

The Rays have a distinct need for an experienced right-handed hitter in the middle of their lineup, and they are loaded with high-end prospects like David Price, the No. 1 pick from last year. But Tampa Bay won't trade Price or some of their other better prospects. They do, however, probably have the volume of prospects to create a deal for Bay, who is under contract for next season at $7.5 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3510807&name=mlb_trade_deadline

Raisor
07-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Send Homer to the Pirates for Bay!

BRM
07-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Send Homer to the Pirates for Bay!

Homer is the future.

joshnky
07-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Agreed. It seems like those are the positions that most teams need especially shortstop and catcher. The only "premium" position we have covered is third and that is debatable with EE on pace for 30 errors.

And Valaika is not an instant fix at second. Look at the struggles Bruce and Votto have had this year and they were more highly rated prospects. Neither of them has truly fixed the hole at their position but they give us hope that they will in the future as they improve.

BRM
07-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Per Rosenthal.

The Braves chose between two offers for first baseman Mark Teixeira, sources say.

The Angels proposed first baseman Casey Kotchman and Class AA right-hander Stephen Marek. The Diamondbacks offered Tracy and right-hander Micah Owings.

In the end, the Braves' decision was easy.

Kotchman, 25, is nearly three years younger than Tracy, under club control for three more seasons and still capable of offensive growth.

Tracy, 28, is under contract for $4.75 million next season with a $7 million club option for 2010 — higher salaries than Kotchman will earn during that time.

The difference in pitchers, while debatable, also tilted in favor of the Angels' offer.
Owings, 25, is viewed skeptically by some rival executives, and the D-Backs sent him to Class AAA on Tuesday with a 6-9 record and 5.93 ERA.

Marek, 24, also is not a sure thing — one rival exec questions his athleticism and arm action — but the Braves project him as a setup man and possibly a starter.

jojo
07-30-2008, 11:34 AM
True but one can be fixed within the organization. Move Phillips to SS and insert Chris Valaika at second base. Acquiring a guy like Salty would shore up the catching position and leave CF as the remaining question mark.

I think that would be a recipe for some rough baseball to watch especially in '09.

I personally don't think the Reds have an in-house answer for their middle infield. Concerning Valaika, he's basically a low ceiling guy who'd be a defensive compromise at second if his bat eventually becomes good enough to play in the bigs (I'm not confident his bat will become good enough for third).

Concerning Salty, I think he's a greyzone guy.... he probably isn't a good catcher but he probably isn't a good enough bat for first. He very well could end up as a back up catcher or a platoon partner.

flyer85
07-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Concerning Salty, I think he's a greyzone guy.... he probably isn't a good catcher but he probably isn't a good enough bat for first. He very well could end up as a back up catcher or a platoon partner.if you are going to trade for a catcher you had better be sure he can handle the position defensively.

RedsManRick
07-30-2008, 11:44 AM
if you are going to trade for a catcher you had better be sure he can handle the position defensively.

I would argue the flip side of that coin as well. Don't trade for a catcher if he's just a catch & throw guy -- those guys aren't too hard to dig up.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 11:47 AM
I wonder what it would take to acquire Micah Owings from Arizona?

LvJ
07-30-2008, 11:49 AM
I would love to see Owings in a Red uniform.

HokieRed
07-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I'd give serious interest to the possibility of converting Owings to an everyday player.

HokieRed
07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Anybody interested in Tim Redding? I wonder what Jimbo would be looking for for him? Do we have a toolsy guy we could send that way?

Chip R
07-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I would argue the flip side of that coin as well. Don't trade for a catcher if he's just a catch & throw guy -- those guys aren't too hard to dig up.

Then why haven't the Reds found one?

flyer85
07-30-2008, 12:02 PM
I would argue the flip side of that coin as well. Don't trade for a catcher if he's just a catch & throw guy -- those guys aren't too hard to dig up.watching the 2008 Reds makes me wonder

Unassisted
07-30-2008, 12:17 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/2008/jul/29/maddux-move-l/?padres

Is Maddux on move to L.A.?

Tom Krasovic (Contact)

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Greg Maddux again told the Padres that he wants to stay on the West Coast, which probably leaves the Dodgers as the only potential trade partner for the right-hander going into Thursday's trade deadline.

The Padres want to shed the final two months of Maddux's $10 million salary.

General Manager Kevin Towers said he briefed Maddux on the trade market about two weeks ago and again Tuesday.

"His position really hasn't changed," Towers said. "He only wants us to focus on West Coast-contending teams. That kind of eliminates our options, other than one club."

Towers acknowledged that the Dodgers are probably that club. Dodgers GM Ned Colletti has traded for Maddux once, and it turned out to be one of Colletti's better moves. After Colletti obtained him from the Cubs for shortstop Cesar Izturis in July 2006, Maddux helped the Dodgers win a playoff berth.

But the Dodgers now are more interested in finding a productive hitter than a starting pitcher.

The Phillies discussed Maddux a month ago, but that was before they acquired starting pitcher Joe Blanton. A Phillies officials said Tuesday he doubted that Maddux would consent to a transfer to Philadelphia.

"We've still got nearly 48 hours," Towers said Tuesday, referring to the 1 p.m. deadline Thursday to trade a player without exposing him to waivers.

Maddux, 42, is three wins short of tying Roger Clemens for eighth in major league history. He is pitching for a last-place club – a significant factor in his career-high 14-game winless drought that ended Monday – but Petco Park can only be appealing to him. He has a 2.84 ERA at Petco this season, compared with a 6.02 ERA on the road. In his career, Maddux has pitched only for National League clubs, signing with NL teams each time he was a free agent.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Alvin Colina, Louisville.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 02:27 PM
1:23pm: The Pirates and Rays are still talking, with the Cardinals lingering. Dejan Kovacevic says Reid Brignac and Jeremy Hellickson are on the Bucs' radar.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

RedsManRick
07-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Alvin Colina, Louisville.

Exactly. They have them; They just won't use them. They seem to prefer veteran retreads instead of the young catch-and-throw guys who can't hit.

They had Corky Miller too and let him walk. He's now backing up Brian McCann.

Laird isn't a bad guy to have -- I just question the amount of upgrade he represents. I have no doubt that he's better defensively than Bako or Ross. But I think he's a clear offensive downgrade from Ross and am not convinced the defense makes up for that and more. At least not so much as to justify giving up something of real value.

Raisor
07-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Former Red rumor

Espn.com

Posted by Jayson Stark

• We haven't heard much from the Twins this week. But clubs that have spoken with them report they've been talking to the Giants about Rich Aurilia for a middle-tier prospect -- and they've been dangling Boof Bonser for a right-handed bat or middle-infield depth.

flyer85
07-30-2008, 03:22 PM
and they've been dangling Boof Bonser for a right-handed bat or middle-infield depth.you would think a dangling Bonser would get some action. :eek:

M2
07-30-2008, 03:22 PM
If I was going to get a young player from the D-Backs, I think Miguel Montero might be the guy I'd want.

flyer85
07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
If I was going to get a young player from the D-Backs, I think Miguel Montero might be the guy I'd want.he'd instantly be the Reds best catcher. Not that it really says anything.

Chip R
07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
he'd instantly be the Reds best catcher.

Damning him with faint praise.

danforsman
07-30-2008, 04:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3511535

Yankees acquire Pudge from the Tigers at an as of yet undisclosed cost, according to Buster O.

Raisor
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Yankees acquire Pudge from the Tigers at an as of yet undisclosed cost, according to Buster O.

I-Rod with an "empty" (almost) .300 BA.

.295 .338 .417

redsmetz
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM

They're reporting it as Kyles Farnsworth from Yankees to the Tigers.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Good. That takes the Yankees out of the running for one of the Rangers catchers. Hopefully Walt can get a deal done in the next 24 hours for Salty...

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 04:46 PM
• An official of a team in the Arthur Rhodes market reports his team backed off after hearing talk that a Rhodes deal with the Marlins was all but agreed upon. However, the Marlins have been refuting that rumor with other clubs this afternoon, telling multiple sources that while they're in on Rhodes, a deal is "not done."

BRM
07-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Good. That takes the Yankees out of the running for one of the Rangers catchers. Hopefully Walt can get a deal done in the next 24 hours for Salty...

I won't be holding my breath.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Wow!

Manny looks headed to Miami

by John Perrotto

Multipe baseball sources say the Red Sox are on the verge of sending disgrunted left fielder Manny Ramirez to the Marlins in a trade for a package of three players that included low Class A Greensboro outfielder Mike Stanton, an 18-year-old who is hitting .275/.351/.569 with 26 home runs in 96 games.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=965

I never expected the Marlins to land Manny.

nate
07-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow!

Manny looks headed to Miami

by John Perrotto

Multipe baseball sources say the Red Sox are on the verge of sending disgrunted left fielder Manny Ramirez to the Marlins in a trade for a package of three players that included low Class A Greensboro outfielder Mike Stanton, an 18-year-old who is hitting .275/.351/.569 with 26 home runs in 96 games.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=965

I never expected the Marlins to land Manny.

Nor the Sox "Mike Stanton."

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Manny in three-way deal that includes Marlins, Pirates?

A new wrinkle has been added to the Manny Ramirez to Marlins' scenario. A source told MLB.com that a three-way trade may be in the works.

Under this scenario, Ramirez would go to the Marlins, while Jeremy Hermida would go to the Pirates, and Jason Bay would go to the Red Sox.

The Marlins are not afraid to roll the dice and gamble. Team president David Samson, when asked on the team's flagship station, 790 The Ticket, was asked about the Manny Ramirez rumors.

"The Marlins always seem to be in the middle of everything," Samson said. "I don't know how we do that every deadline. We're spending all day trying to figure out a way where we can get better, to stay good, to try to figure out a way how we could win this thing. Everything is possible."

-- Joe Frisaro

http://trades.mlblogs.com/

guttle11
07-30-2008, 07:48 PM
If that deal goes down...the Pirates. Poor guys just love getting worse.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2008, 07:50 PM
If that deal goes down...the Pirates. Poor guys just love getting worse.

Hermida has a lot of talent, he's having a bit of a down year this year but I think he's got a chance to be a future .900 OPS guy. That being said, they need to get another solid prospect or two in return.

CTA513
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Im all for the Pirates trading Reds killer Jason Bay.

guttle11
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Hermida has a lot of talent, he's having a bit of a down year this year but I think he's got a chance to be a future .900 OPS guy. That being said, they need to get another solid prospect or two in return.

But he's a downgrade from Bay. Hermidia is arb eligible soon, and they'll certainly be looking to dump him in a couple yeasr to save money.How bad will the trade market be in two years? If you're going to trade stars and start over, you have to get significantly younger or significantly better. This trade would do neither.

They traded Nady for half a box of Cracker Jack, minus the prize. I mean, would we want to trade Dunn for Hermida or a Stubbs like prospect and some C and D level pitchers?

This is exactly why the Reds simply can't trade Dunn. I'll take my chances with the draft picks if they can't lock him up.

M2
07-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Hmm, supposedly the Pirates want four kids, two of them extremely shiny, for Bay.

So would Hermida, Rick Vanden Hurk, Brett Sinkbeil (from the Fish) and Lars Anderson (from the Sox) do the trick?

LvJ
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I love this deal for the Pirates. I'm a big Hermida fan, and I think he's going to be a very very solid player.

Patrick Bateman
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I really like Hermida too. Very nice athletic player. Reminds me a lot of Votto, except in RF. The Pirates would do well to grab him surrounded by a collection of others. With his defensive advantage over Bay, while in RF, I think he's going to cut into a lot of that lost value. The salary savings and prospects give the Pirates a nice chance of coming out ahead.

I don't like this deal from the Marlins perspective. I'm surprised they wouldn't just do the deal for Bay if they have the primary haul that the Pirates want. They should remain competitve in the future, and grabbing an additional year rather than the one year stop gap of Ramirez would be massive. On a one year basis, Ramirez isn't that much more valuable than Bay to begin with. He's still very good, but not the complete monster he once was. Not to mention I like Bay's chances of playing a watchable RF more than Willingham or Manny. I get that Ramirez is the type of guy capable of carrying a team down the stretch with his bat, but to me it seems like Bay is a much better fit all around.

LvJ
07-30-2008, 10:57 PM
I really like Hermida too. Very nice athletic player. Reminds me a lot of Votto, except in RF. The Pirates would do well to grab him surrounded by a collection of others. With his defensive advantage over Bay, while in RF, I think he's going to cut into a lot of that lost value. The salary savings and prospects give the Pirates a nice chance of coming out ahead.

I don't like this deal from the Marlins perspective. I'm surprised they wouldn't just do the deal for Bay if they have the primary haul that the Pirates want. They should remain competitve in the future, and grabbing an additional year rather than the one year stop gap of Ramirez would be massive. On a one year basis, Ramirez isn't that much more valuable than Bay to begin with. He's still very good, but not the complete monster he once was. Not to mention I like Bay's chances of playing a watchable RF more than Willingham or Manny. I get that Ramirez is the type of guy capable of carrying a team down the stretch with his bat, but to me it seems like Bay is a much better fit all around. I'll agree with all that.

For the Marlins, I think this deal will fill the stands. If it doesn't, than I don't know what will (besides the postseason again). Manny will "fit" in that area, so I'm guessing more of his fans will come out and watch the guy. You've gotta think that played some what of a part in it. Nobody is going to come out to watch Bay.

Spitball
07-30-2008, 11:28 PM
The deal is apparently on the commisioner's desk. here is the latest from Will Carroll:
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 03:02 AM
We Have A Deal, Redux?

by Kevin Goldstein

Maybe, maybe not. Here’s the thing, I’ve heard the Manny to Florida deal in about five different variations, and if you add in the variations from Will and John, it probably gets into the teens. My best source has it as (and this is somewhat simpler than others):

Mike Stanton (Low-A slugger), Ryan Tucker and Jeremy Hermida go to Pittsburgh

Jason Bay and John Grabow go to Boston

Manny Ramirez goes to Florida, with Boston paying every cent of what’s still owed to him this year.

Who’s right? Who’s wrong? I don’t know, but my guess is nobody nails this one until it’s done.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=968

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 03:06 AM
Landing Mike Stanton, Ryan Tucker, and Jeremy Hermida for Bay and Grabow would be a great deal for the Pirates IMO. Hermida has a chance to be a .900 OPS guy IMO. Throw in a guy like Mike Stanton who is only 18 years old and is hitting .275/.352/.576 - .928 OPS with 24 doubles and 27 homeruns in only 363 atbats in Low-A. Those are some gaudy power numbers for such a young kid. On top of that they would also receive Ryan Tucker, a young 21 year old power arm with a 1.38 ERA in 72 Double-A innings. This is the type of deal that can turn an organization around.

mth123
07-31-2008, 04:55 AM

But the Reds have three catchers on the roster and none qualify. Bako is a Catch Can't Throw guy. Ross is a Throw Can't Catch guy. Javy is a Can't Throw Can't Catch guy. I have reservations about Laird, especially after reading Spitball's scouting report, but this team needs a guy who actually can catch & throw. They aren't as easy to come by as we may think. Some guys get classified as that simply because they play catcher and can't hit when in actuality they are also lacking in the catch and/or throw department. I think that is the case with both Ross and Bako.

redsmetz
07-31-2008, 06:06 AM
From today's Boston Globe:

Ramírez also held up a sign in the dugout before the game, shown by NESN cameras, that read: "I'm going to Green Bay for Brett Favre straight up."

klw
07-31-2008, 06:12 AM
From today's Boston Globe:

now that is pretty funny

Raisor
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Cardinals could trade Lohse

Thursday, July 31, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jayson Stark

Here's one of the most surprising names to pop up on the "available" list in the last 24 hours -- Kyle Lohse. Officials of two teams that spoke with the Cardinals report that they've been offering to deal Lohse if they can get back the right package.

The Cardinals have been looking for both a bat and a bullpen arm. And apparently, they concluded they didn't have the prospects to get both. They got Chris Carpenter back from the disabled list Wednesday, with Adam Wainwright a couple of weeks behind. And they have no assurance they can re-sign Lohse because he's a Scott Boras client.

So Lohse could dramatically alter the starting-pitching market Thursday if the Cardinals can find the right taker. Among the teams still looking for a starter: White Sox, Rockies and Yankees.
-espn.com

flyer85
07-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Cardinals could trade Lohse
for Matt Maloney

oregonred
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
for Matt Maloney

Zach Ward and a PTBNL...

With a strong 2008, Lohse might net the 2 draft picks in FA.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
As of 10:30 ET this morning, the teams involved in the Manny
Ramirez deal have taken a bit of a break. The holdup continues to be
sorting out the prospects, specifically which ones the Marlins will
get and will give up. The framework, agreed to early last night, has
expanded a bit, including John Grabow and, in some iterations, Jack
Wilson. The Marlins have switched up on what prospects are available
and which aren’t. It looks like slugger Mike Stanton is definitely out
and that Ryan Tucker is out unless the Marlins get a “plus prospect”
such as Justin Masterson in addition to Ramirez. This one could go
down to the wire.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=971

flyer85
07-31-2008, 01:02 PM
seems to me that if the Marlins are giving up Hermida and some other prospects they will need more than Manny in return.

Tom Servo
07-31-2008, 01:10 PM
If only we could have traded our Mike Stanton for Manny.

CTA513
07-31-2008, 11:15 PM
This isn't a trade, but the Nationals released Felipe Lopez and Paul Lo Duca.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2008/07/breaking_news_lo_duca_lopez_re.html

Tom Servo
08-01-2008, 12:29 AM
So...who won the trade? No one.

WVRedsFan
08-01-2008, 12:45 AM
So...who won the trade? No one.

Tend to agree. We got Majewski and Bray, Harris and Thompson. Majewski has looked good lately in mostly mop up roles and Bray seems to be on and off, but he's young. Truth is they are both relief pitchers, and a dime a dozen. Harris was released and has shown promise and Thompson after a good start and a bad one, is now on the DL. Not much here

Kearns has struggled in Washington and Lopez was Lopez--and who knows what that is. The relief pitcher that went with them is apparently out of baseball. No one won that one. The trade was supposed to get us in the playoffs and didn't. It was supposed to help the Nationals at short and the outfield. It didn't.

No winner. Yet.