PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Reds History (7/29/08): Past Lineups

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 01:45 PM
50 years ago (1958), a 4-3 loss at Crosley Field vs. the Giants.

San Francisco
Felipe Alou lf
Willie Kirkland rf
Willie Mays cf
Ray Jablonski 3b
Orlando Cepeda 1b
Daryl Spencer ss
Bob Schmidt c
Danny O'Connell 2b
Stu Miller p

Cincinnati
Johnny Temple 2b
Dee Fondy lf
Jerry Lynch rf
Frank Robinson cf
George Crowe 1b
Ed Bailey c
Don Hoak 3b
Roy McMillan ss
Brooks Lawrence p

WP: Marv Grissom (7-3)
LP: Willard Schmidt (2-4)
HR: SF - Ray Jablonski (12). CIN - Frank Robinson (17).

Stu Miller and Marv Grissom combined on a five-hitter for the Giants, and Ray Jablonski hit a two-run homer with two outs in the ninth inning to give the Giants a one-run lead.

Roy Tucker
07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
50 years ago (1958), a 4-3 loss at Crosley Field vs. the Giants.

San Francisco
Felipe Alou lf
Willie Kirkland rf
Willie Mays cf
Ray Jablonski 3b
Orlando Cepeda 1b
Daryl Spencer ss
Bob Schmidt c
Danny O'Connell 2b
Stu Miller p

Holy cats, a Willie Kirkland sighting. I didn't know he played for the Giants.

I have his autograph on a '62 Cleveland Indians program along with Woodie Held, John Romano, Tito Francona, Mudcat Grant, and a few others.

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
45 years ago (1963), an 8-2 loss at Milwaukee County Stadium vs. the Braves.

Cincinnati
Pete Rose 2b
Tommy Harper rf
Vada Pinson cf
Frank Robinson lf
Gene Freese 3b
Gordy Coleman 1b
Leo Cardenas ss
Johnny Edwards c
John Tsitouris p

Milwaukee Braves
Denis Menke ss
Eddie Mathews 3b
Hank Aaron rf
Lee Maye cf
Joe Torre 1b
Gene Oliver lf
Frank Bolling 2b
Del Crandall c
Warren Spahn p

WP: Warren Spahn (13-5)
LP: John Tsitouris (7-4)
HR: CIN - Vada Pinson (10), Frank Robinson (14). MIL - Hank Aaron (30), Lee Maye (8).

Warren Spahn pitched a complete-game six-hitter to get the win for the Braves.

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Holy cats, a Willie Kirkland sighting. I didn't know he played for the Giants.

I have his autograph on a '62 Cleveland Indians program along with Woodie Held, John Romano, Tito Francona, Mudcat Grant, and a few others.

Kirkland was a rookie for the Giants in 1958. He hit .258 with 14 HR's and 56 RBI's that year. In 1959 he hit a career-high .272 for the Giants, with 22 HR's and 68 RBI's. His final year in San Francisco was 1960. He hit .252 with 21 HR's and 65 RBI's that year. On December 3, 1960, he was traded along with pitcher Johnny Antonelli to the Indians for INF/OF Harvey Kuenn. He spent the next three years in Cleveland, then was traded to the Orioles prior to the 1964 season. He only spent half a season in Baltimore, and then the O's sold his contract to the Senators in August of 1964. He would play two more seasons in Washington, and retired after the 1966 season.

Roy Tucker
07-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Kirkland was a rookie for the Giants in 1958. He hit .258 with 14 HR's and 56 RBI's that year. In 1959 he hit a career-high .272 for the Giants, with 22 HR's and 68 RBI's. His final year in San Francisco was 1960. He hit .252 with 21 HR's and 65 RBI's that year. On December 3, 1960, he was traded along with pitcher Johnny Antonelli to the Indians for INF/OF Harvey Kuenn. He spent the next three years in Cleveland, then was traded to the Orioles prior to the 1964 season. He only spent half a season in Baltimore, and then the O's sold his contract to the Senators in August of 1964. He would play two more seasons in Washington, and retired after the 1966 season.

Thanks for the info, Big Klu.

Man, I'd forgotten about the pre-season 1960 Harvey Kuehn-Rocky Colavito trade. Talk about a firestorm. Kuehn got ridden out of town on a rail after one season. GM Frank Lane at his finest.

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 02:22 PM
40 years ago (1968), the Reds swept a doubleheader at Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia--winning the opener 7-6, and the nightcap 6-1.

First Game
Cincinnati
Pete Rose rf
Vada Pinson cf
Mack Jones lf
Lee May 1b
Tony Perez 3b
Johnny Bench c
Tommy Helms 2b
Woody Woodward ss
Gary Nolan p

Philadelphia
Tony Taylor 3b
Cookie Rojas 2b
Roberto Peña ss
Dick Allen lf
Johnny Callison rf
Bill White 1b
Don Lock cf
John Sullivan c
Jerry Johnson p

WP: Ted Abernathy (8-1)
LP: Turk Farrell (3-4)
HR: CIN - Lee May (15). PHI - Johnny Callison (10), Dick Allen (22), Don Lock (5).

Second Game
Cincinnati
Pete Rose cf
Tommy Helms 2b
Alex Johnson lf
Lee May rf
Tony Perez 3b
Don Pavletich 1b
Pat Corrales c
Woody Woodward ss
George Culver p

Philadelphia
Tony Taylor 3b
Roberto Peña ss
Johnny Callison rf
Dick Allen lf
Bill White 1b
Don Lock cf
Cookie Rojas 2b
Clay Dalrymple c
Chris Short p

WP: George Culver (9-9)
LP: Chris Short (9-11)
HR: None.

In Game 2, George Culver pitched a no-hitter for the Reds, allowing one unearned run with 4 K's and 5 BB's. The Phillies scored their only run in the second inning when Dick Allen led off by reaching on an error by 3B Tony Perez, and went to second on an error by SS Woody Woodward. Bill White grounded out to 1B, advancing Allen to third, and after a walk to Don Lock, Cookie Rojas hit a sacrifice fly to RF.

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info, Big Klu.

Man, I'd forgotten about the pre-season 1960 Harvey Kuehn-Rocky Colavito trade. Talk about a firestorm. Kuehn got ridden out of town on a rail after one season. GM Frank Lane at his finest.

I live in an area that consists mostly of Indians fans, and there is an older gentleman I know who is a die-hard Cleveland (Indians & Browns) fan. To this day, he curses Frank Lane every time Lane, Kuenn, or Colavito is mentioned.

George Anderson
07-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Trivia...what player from above is this? No looking it up please.

On January 25, 1961 he was traded by the Kansas City Athletics with John Briggs to the Cincinnati Reds for Joe Nuxhall.

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 02:49 PM
35 years ago (1973), the Reds split a doubleheader at San Diego (later Jack Murphy) Stadium--losing the opener 7-1, and winning the nightcap 4-2.

First Game
Cincinnati
Pete Rose lf
Joe Morgan 2b
Dan Driessen 3b
Johnny Bench c
Tony Perez 1b
Andy Kosco rf
Bobby Tolan cf
Darrel Chaney ss
Gary Nolan p

San Diego
Enzo Hernandez ss
Johnny Grubb cf
Leron Lee rf
Nate Colbert 1b
Gene Locklear lf
Dave W. Roberts 3b
Fred Kendall c
Rich Morales 2b
Rich Troedson p

WP: Rich Troedson (5-2)
LP: Gary Nolan (0-1)
HR: SD - Nate Colbert (12), Dave W. Roberts (9).

In Game 1, Rich Troedson pitched a complete-game nine-hitter to get the win for the Padres.

Second Game
Cincinnati
Pete Rose lf
Joe Morgan 2b
Johnny Bench rf
Tony Perez 1b
Andy Kosco cf
Denis Menke 3b
Bill Plummer c
Ed Crosby ss
Roger Nelson p

San Diego
Dwain Anderson ss
Johnny Grubb cf
Dave W. Roberts 3b
Nate Colbert 1b
Cito Gaston rf
Gene Locklear lf
Rich Morales 2b
Pat Corrales c
Mike Caldwell p

WP: Roger Nelson (3-2)
LP: Mike Caldwell (3-12)
Sv: Clay Carroll (10)

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Trivia...what player from above is this? No looking it up please.

On January 25, 1961 he was traded by the Kansas City Athletics with John Briggs to the Cincinnati Reds for Joe Nuxhall.

I have no idea, so I'm going to just take a guess that it is a player from the 1963 team. John Tsitouris?

George Anderson
07-29-2008, 02:55 PM
I have no idea, so I'm going to just take a guess that it is a player from the 1963 team. John Tsitouris?

yep!!!

cumberlandreds
07-29-2008, 02:58 PM
35 years ago (1973), the Reds split a doubleheader at San Diego (later Jack Murphy) Stadium--losing the opener 7-1, and winning the nightcap 4-2.

First Game
Cincinnati
Pete Rose lf
Joe Morgan 2b
Dan Driessen 3b
Johnny Bench c
Tony Perez 1b
Andy Kosco rf
Bobby Tolan cf
Darrel Chaney ss
Gary Nolan p

San Diego
Enzo Hernandez ss
Johnny Grubb cf
Leron Lee rf
Nate Colbert 1b
Gene Locklear lf
Dave W. Roberts 3b
Fred Kendall c
Rich Morales 2b
Rich Troedson p

WP: Rich Troedson (5-2)
LP: Gary Nolan (0-1)
HR: SD - Nate Colbert (12), Dave W. Roberts (9).

In Game 1, Rich Troedson pitched a complete-game nine-hitter to get the win for the Padres.

Second Game
Cincinnati
Pete Rose lf
Joe Morgan 2b
Johnny Bench rf
Tony Perez 1b
Andy Kosco cf
Denis Menke 3b
Bill Plummer c
Ed Crosby ss
Roger Nelson p

San Diego
Dwain Anderson ss
Johnny Grubb cf
Dave W. Roberts 3b
Nate Colbert 1b
Cito Gaston rf
Gene Locklear lf
Rich Morales 2b
Pat Corrales c
Mike Caldwell p

WP: Roger Nelson (3-2)
LP: Mike Caldwell (3-12)
Sv: Clay Carroll (10)

In game one, that was one of only two starts for Gary Nolan that season. He was in the midst of what many thought was career ending arm problems. He was out all of 1974 but made a great comeback in 1975 and pitched very well through the 1976 season. I can't remember specifically what his problems were but I'm thinking it was shoulder. He went from being a flame thrower to a junk baller during this transition.

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
30 years ago (1978), a 6-2 win at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Phillies.

Philadelphia
Garry Maddox cf
Larry Bowa ss
Mike Schmidt 3b
Greg Luzinski lf
Richie Hebner 1b
Jerry Martin rf
Bob Boone c
Ted Sizemore 2b
Jim Lonborg p

Cincinnati
Pete Rose 3b
Ken Griffey rf
Joe Morgan 2b
George Foster lf
Dan Driessen 1b
Johnny Bench c
Dave Concepcion ss
Cesar Geronimo cf
Paul Moskau p

WP: Paul Moskau (2-2)
LP: Jim Lonborg (7-9)
HR: CIN - George Foster (24), Paul Moskau (1).

Paul Moskau pitched eight innings, allowing two runs (1 ER) on six hits, and also hit a three-run homer in the second inning off Jim Lonborg. Pete Rose led off the first inning with a single to LF off Lonborg, extending his hitting streak to 42 games, and scored on a homer by George Foster. Rose's 42-game hitting streak tied Bill Dahlen (who played for the Chicago Colts--later known as the Cubs--in 1894) for the third-longest streak in history. Rose also singled to CF after Moskau's homer, chasing Lonborg from the game. In the fourth, Rose singled to CF with two outs off Jim Kaat. Rose was 3-for-4 with a run scored on the afternoon.

Pete Rose Hit Streak: 42
67-for-173, .387/.422/.468/.890, 14 2B, 11 RBI, 30 R, 4/6 SB, 11 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 2 SAC, 2 SF

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
30 years ago (1978), a 6-2 win at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Phillies.

Philadelphia
Garry Maddox cf
Larry Bowa ss
Mike Schmidt 3b
Greg Luzinski lf
Richie Hebner 1b
Jerry Martin rf
Bob Boone c
Ted Sizemore 2b
Jim Lonborg p

Cincinnati
Pete Rose 3b
Ken Griffey rf
Joe Morgan 2b
George Foster lf
Dan Driessen 1b
Johnny Bench c
Dave Concepcion ss
Cesar Geronimo cf
Paul Moskau p

WP: Paul Moskau (2-2)
LP: Jim Lonborg (7-9)
HR: CIN - George Foster (24), Paul Moskau (1).

Paul Moskau pitched eight innings, allowing two runs (1 ER) on six hits, and also hit a three-run homer in the second inning off Jim Lonborg. Pete Rose led off the first inning with a single to LF off Lonborg, extending his hitting streak to 42 games, and scored on a homer by George Foster. Rose's 42-game hitting streak tied Bill Dahlen (who played for the Chicago Colts--later known as the Cubs--in 1894) for the third-longest streak in history. Rose also singled to CF after Moskau's homer, chasing Lonborg from the game. In the fourth, Rose singled to CF with two outs off Jim Kaat. Rose was 3-for-4 with a run scored on the afternoon.

Pete Rose Hit Streak: 42
67-for-173, .387/.422/.468/.890, 14 2B, 11 RBI, 30 R, 4/6 SB, 11 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 2 SAC, 2 SF

Pete has been very hot lately but I have a feeling his hitting streak is going to end at 44. Just a bad feeling I have.

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 03:27 PM
yep!!!

I was reasonably confident that most of the '63 team was home-grown, except for Gordy Coleman (acquired from the Tribe for Johnny Temple), Gene Freese (who I knew had played for the Pirates and Cardinals in the 50's), and John Tsitouris, though I wasn't sure where he had come from. So I took a shot.

I was afraid you were going to throw me a curveball and it would be a player on an opposing team! :D

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Pete has been very hot lately but I have a feeling his hitting streak is going to end at 44. Just a bad feeling I have.

I hate Gene Garber! :D

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Looking back at 1968, I never knew that George Culver pitched a no-hitter for the Reds. In fact, before I started posting the '68 lineups in April, I never knew he had ever played for the Reds.

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
25 years ago (1983), a 4-1 loss at the Astrodome in Houston.

Cincinnati
Eddie Milner cf
Dave Concepcion ss
Gary Redus lf
Cesar Cedeño rf
Dan Driessen 1b
Nick Esasky 3b
Ron Oester 2b
Dann Bilardello c
Joe Price p

Houston
Kevin Bass rf
Terry Puhl cf
Dickie Thon ss
Phil Garner 3b
Jose Cruz lf
Ray Knight 1b
Bill Doran 2b
George Bjorkman c
Mike Madden p

WP: Mike Madden (4-0)
LP: Joe Price (10-6)
Sv: Dave Smith (4)
HR: HOU - Ray Knight (6).

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
20 years ago (1988), a 5-3 loss at Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego.

Cincinnati
Kal Daniels lf
Jeff Treadway 3b
Barry Larkin ss
Eric Davis cf
Paul O'Neill rf
Nick Esasky 1b
Bo Diaz c
Ron Oester 2b
Jack Armstrong p

San Diego
John Kruk lf
Roberto Alomar 2b
Tony Gwynn rf
Keith Moreland 1b
Marvell Wynne cf
Benito Santiago c
Tim Flannery 3b
Garry Templeton ss
Andy Hawkins p

WP: Andy Hawkins (10-8)
LP: Jack Armstrong (2-4)
Sv: Mark Davis (18)
HR: CIN - Eric Davis (18), Bo Diaz (8). SD - Tony Gwynn (6), Garry Templeton (3).

Yes, that is John Kruk leading off for the Padres!

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 04:05 PM
10 years ago (1998), an 11-5 loss at Riverfront vs. the Braves.

Atlanta
Ozzie Guillen ss
Tony Graffanino 2b
Chipper Jones 3b
Andres Galarraga 1b
Ryan Klesko lf
Javy Lopez c
Michael Tucker rf
Andruw Jones cf
John Smoltz p

Cincinnati
Reggie Sanders cf
Barry Larkin ss
Sean Casey 1b
Dmitri Young lf
Willie Greene rf
Bret Boone 2b
Eddie Taubensee c
Pokey Reese 3b
Steve Parris p

WP: Rudy Seanez (3-0)
LP: Steve Parris (1-2)
HR: ATL - Tony Graffanino (4), Andruw Jones (15), Javy Lopez (22).

Big Klu
07-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Five years ago (2003), a 5-3 loss at Great American Ball Park vs. the Rockies.

Colorado
Tony Womack ss
Ronnie Belliard 2b
Todd Helton 1b
Preston Wilson cf
Jay Payton lf
Rene Reyes rf
Chris Stynes 3b
Charles Johnson c
Darren Oliver p

Cincinnati
D'Angelo Jimenez 2b
Ray Olmedo ss
Jose Guillen rf
Sean Casey 1b
Aaron Boone 3b
Adam Dunn lf
Ruben Mateo cf
Jason LaRue c
Jimmy Haynes p

WP: Darren Oliver (9-6)
LP: Jimmy Haynes (2-11)
Sv: Justin Speier (6)

This was Dave Miley's first game as manager for the Reds.

RedsBaron
07-29-2008, 07:07 PM

The Giants in the mid-to-late 1950s were turning out numerous great hitting outfielders and first basemen. Bill White had a good rookie year them in 1956, hitting 22 HRs, but after completing a military service requirement he was traded to the Cardinals in 1958 where he became an all star and seven time gold glove first baseman. In 1958 the Giants came up with Orlando Cepeda, who was the NL rookie of the year on the start of a Hall of Fame career. The next year the Giants came up with yet another first baseman, Willie McCovey, who was the 1959 NL rookie of the year enroute to his HOF career. By 1960, the Giants had also added future all star Felipe Alou and his younger brother, Matty, a future batting champion.
The Giants decided that only one guy could play first base at a time, so they alternated starting Cepeda and McCovey at that position while playing the other one out-of-position in left field. That still left the Alou borthers to play right field, while some guy named Willie Mays played center field. The Giants had no place for Willie Kirkland.

Big Klu
07-30-2008, 03:56 AM
The Giants in the mid-to-late 1950s were turning out numerous great hitting outfielders and first basemen. Bill White had a good rookie year them in 1956, hitting 22 HRs, but after completing a military service requirement he was traded to the Cardinals in 1958 where he became an all star and seven time gold glove first baseman. In 1958 the Giants came up with Orlando Cepeda, who was the NL rookie of the year on the start of a Hall of Fame career. The next year the Giants came up with yet another first baseman, Willie McCovey, who was the 1959 NL rookie of the year enroute to his HOF career. By 1960, the Giants had also added future all star Felipe Alou and his younger brother, Matty, a future batting champion.
The Giants decided that only one guy could play first base at a time, so they alternated starting Cepeda and McCovey at that position while playing the other one out-of-position in left field. That still left the Alou borthers to play right field, while some guy named Willie Mays played center field. The Giants had no place for Willie Kirkland.

The Giants continued to be a factory for producing talented outfielders in the 60's and early 70's--developing Bobby Bonds, Gary Matthews, and Garry Maddox. Jim Ray Hart--who was primarily a 3B, but also played quite a bit in LF--also came up at this time. It's no wonder they traded George Foster to the Reds in 1971--they had no place for him.