PDA

View Full Version : Castellini in Houston for moral support?

redhawk61
07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Reds owner visits in Houston

With his team losers of four in a row, Reds owner/CEO Bob Castellini dropped in for a visit in Houston on Tuesday. Castellini met for about an hour with manager Dusty Baker and general manager Walt Jocketty in Baker's office with the door shut. Castellini said his visit was to offer "moral support."

Indications are that the Reds will be quiet before Thursday's deadline. The team is seven games under .500 but there will be no clearing payroll of the books.

"I think a winning record is very important," Castellini said. "Walt has not been instructed to dump salary."

The Reds have had seven consecutive losing seasons.

"There's nothing close," Jocketty said. "I've had a lot of conversations with clubs that looking. If something happened, it'd probably happen close to the deadline. Lately, I've been initiating more calls than I've been receiving."

One of the key trade chips, starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo, appears to be headed nowhere. Arroyo made his feeling clear he didn't want to be dealt last week. Castellini appears to be behind him.

"I'd rather Bronson Arroyo be here next year than me," Castellini said. "He's been one of our shining starts here lately."

-- Mark Sheldon

http://trades.mlblogs.com/

redhawk61
07-29-2008, 07:29 PM
I assume when Walt says he has been initiating more calls than receiving his is referring to his impending deal for Salty:thumbup:

Jerry Narron
07-29-2008, 08:16 PM
The last time Bob gave me moral support he fired me.

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Isn't this the second or third time this year he has done that? Between that and "We're just not gonna lose anymore"...Seems like the less he is seen or heard the better.

redhawk61
07-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Geeze from what Welsh just said it seems like everyone in the Reds FO is in Houston. Something must be up, you don't bring this many people to town for moral support and from the look on Bob's face when they showed him, knowing his team is about to go 8 games under...

captainmorgan07
07-29-2008, 10:10 PM
He better give um a you better get your butts in gear speech or your all fired. Right now this team couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag. They play terrible defense which inflates e.r.a.'s and pitch counts.

Redus
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
I dont understand the not dumping salary so we can have a winning record...are you kidding me. First off 83 wins or 70 really doesnt matter...if you arent in the playoffs who cares. Secondly what makes him think this group of guys can make it to a winning record. Everytime they get close to 500 they tank. Third at least a few deals would interest the fan base and offer some intrigue for next year. What are you gonna do goo into next year with the same crop of losers? Yeah that'll sell tickets Bob.

Kingspoint
07-30-2008, 02:33 AM
"I think a winning record is very important," Castellini said. "Walt has not been instructed to dump salary."

:jump:

That's a far cry from his quote about winning when he gave his reason for letting go of Krivsky.

Jack Burton
07-30-2008, 09:46 AM
How 'bout some moral support for the fans, this is freaking depressing. Bob, you can start by proving you do actually want to win, fire dusty and replace the entire coaching staff. That's at least a step in the right direction. It should have been done over a month ago, who knows, we might have turned things around and been right in the playoff hunt.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-30-2008, 12:36 PM
if they dont go youth movement before thursday at midnight, i will be throwing a dart at a dartboard and seeing which team i will be rooting for this year.. SURELY they cant be as bad, and as poorly run as this team..

Ghosts of 1990
07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Shining start eh?

schmidty622
07-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Maybe he should leave the moral support to someone else and give Walt some MONETARY support

schmidty622
07-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Reds owner visits in Houston

With his team losers of four in a row, Reds owner/CEO Bob Castellini dropped in for a visit in Houston on Tuesday. Castellini met for about an hour with manager Dusty Baker and general manager Walt Jocketty in Baker's office with the door shut. Castellini said his visit was to offer "moral support."

Indications are that the Reds will be quiet before Thursday's deadline. The team is seven games under .500 but there will be no clearing payroll of the books.

The Reds have had seven consecutive losing seasons.

"There's nothing close," Jocketty said. "I've had a lot of conversations with clubs that looking. If something happened, it'd probably happen close to the deadline. Lately, I've been initiating more calls than I've been receiving."

One of the key trade chips, starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo, appears to be headed nowhere. Arroyo made his feeling clear he didn't want to be dealt last week. Castellini appears to be behind him.

"I'd rather Bronson Arroyo be here next year than me," Castellini said. "He's been one of our shining starts here lately."

-- Mark Sheldon

http://trades.mlblogs.com/

Huh? Is Castellini saying he wants to get out of the organization?

44Magnum
07-30-2008, 12:56 PM
If there is not a fire-sale, then Bob isn't serious about winning.

BLEEDS
07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
If there is not a fire-sale, then Bob isn't serious about winning.

That makes no sense. We have 13 FA's that will be enough of a "FIRE SALE".

We have a core group of young, upcoming guys in BP, EE, Votto, Bruce in the Field, and Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Burton, Bray, on the mound. We have some talent in the minors, but mostly at AA right now, a couple of pitchers in AAA.

We have a group of vets that can hold a window for 3 years - Harang, Arroyo, Cordero.

That's 12 Solid Guys. What we need to do is ADD to that, not subtract.
Getting rid of those guys isn't going to help us move ahead.

The only contracts that will be hard to get rid of are Freel($4M) and AGON($5.375) - though I think AGON has a place on this team IFF he's healthy.
That's 14.

Count Hopper and Keppinger as "gimmes" to be here next year. at $450K each.
That's 16.

That leaves 9 positions left on the 25 Man Roster - 4 in the Bullpen and 5 in the Field.

Count on 2 of the 4 in the Bullpen, and 2 of 5 in the Field/Bench guys as rookies/league minimum, that would put the Payroll at $55.5M.

Pencil in Dunn at $15M per and you're at just over $70M - $4M left for the 4 remaining guys - JUST to get to THIS YEAR'S PAYROLL NUMBER of $74M.

Assuming we're "Dedicated to Winning", we up the Payroll to $80-$90M and you can sign 4 guys at ~$5M a piece to solidify your Pen and C and CF with solid vets - or sign 2 $8M guys and 2 $2M guys - and you're good to go.

Don't need to BLOW IT UP to get better - you need to PUMP IT UP with $$$ to get better.

We CAN EASILY support a $90M payroll, and not even cut into 50% of the profits made last year, and by winning we'll put Butts in Seats, thereby increading Revenue. The Reds can SELL OUT if their team is winning, we all know that.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

redsfanmia
07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Big Bob just comes off as a stooge.