PDA

View Full Version : Manny Traded to Florida?

reds44
07-31-2008, 12:14 AM
An AL source told the Palm Beach Post that the Red Sox, Marlins and Pirates have tenatively agreed to a three-team deal.

The source said a tentative agreement was reached about 10 p.m. Wednesday, or essentially the same time Baseball Prospectus reported it. Other sources have since said that a deal isn't done, but since his is a new report saying it's agreed to, we'll add it to the mess. The Palm Beach Post has the Marlins getting Manny Ramirez and a prospect from Boston, the Red Sox acquiring Jason Bay and John Grabow from Pittsburgh and the Pirates acquiring Jeremy Hermida, Ryan Tucker and two prospects from Florida. That makes this the first report to "confirm" that Tucker is in the deal. He's a significantly better prospect than any of the three pitchers the Pirates just acquired from the Yankees.
Rotoworld

cincinnati chili
07-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Rotoworld
Update:

http://baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967

by Will Carroll

The Commissioner’s Office has been informed of a deal involving the Pirates, Red Sox, and Marlins. The Commissioner has to sign off on any deal involving cash considerations of more than a million dollars, and there was clearly going to be cash involved in any deal involving these teams. There’s also some formality about Manny Ramirez waiving his 10-and-5 rights, and no-trade clause, and I’ll admit not understanding the technicalities.

So here’s what Pee Wee Herman would call the “big but”: the teams, I am told, have not agreed on the specific prospects to be included in the deal. It’s expected that in addition to the principals, the Red Sox would get John Grabow and give up two prospects, while the Marlins would get one prospect and give up two. There’s still a lot of haggling but my scribbling notes make it look like the structure of the deal is:

Marlins get Manny Ramirez, one prospect (Red Sox), and cash (likely covering Ramirez’s remaining salary)

Pirates get Jeremy Hermida and three prospects (two Marlins, one Red Sox)

Red Sox get Jason Bay and John Grabow

There is still potential for this to fall apart over the prospects, but things appear closer now than ever before.

Highlifeman21
07-31-2008, 12:32 AM
I bet they'll love the way he tries to beat out double play balls...

oregonred
07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
The Palm Beach Post :eek:

The page 2 gossip section with 2nd tier celebrity sightings is always entertaining though.

RFS62
07-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Manny lives in Weston, just a couple of minutes from the Marlins park.

RedsBaron
07-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Manny has now suggested that the Red Sox trade him to the Packers for Brett Favre.

Chip R
07-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Manny has now suggested that the Red Sox trade him to the Packers for Brett Favre.

I believe Manny actually believes that could happen

flyer85
07-31-2008, 09:42 AM
a better deal for the Pirates than the Nady/Marte disaster.

RedsBaron
07-31-2008, 10:17 AM
I believe Manny actually believes that could happen

The Packers might go for it. at least it would keep Favre away from the Bears and Vikings. ;)