PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Jr. traded to ChiSox

OldRed1966
07-31-2008, 08:08 AM
According to Ken Rosenthal all their waiting on his Jr's approval.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398348/Reds,-ChiSox-agree-on-Griffey-trade,-await-approval

ChatterRed
07-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Huge news.

CarolinaRedleg
07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Wow.:eek:

Let the speculation begin as to who is coming this way.

ChatterRed
07-31-2008, 08:13 AM
I think we get their manager. ;)

texasdave
07-31-2008, 08:16 AM
That was certainly a surprise. Seems like a win/win/win for all involved. Junior has been swinging the batter much better recently and could help the Sox. Junior goes to a first place team. And the Reds (pretty gracefully) resolve the detoriating Griffey situation. Just say "yes", Junior.

stfm965
07-31-2008, 08:16 AM
This has taken everyone here by surprise. Anything that happens or is known I'll try to pass along as best I can.

ChaseReds
07-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Wasn't expecting this (though excited at the possibilities!!)

ChatterRed
07-31-2008, 08:22 AM
If I were Reds management, I'd tell Junior he should think long and hard about accepting the trade, because he will be sitting the bench the rest of the season as they try a new lineup. That would play with Junior's pride.

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 08:22 AM
WOW. Mega move

Space Cowboy
07-31-2008, 08:24 AM
"The Sox are set at the corners with Carlos Quentin in left and Jermaine Dye in right. They could play Nick Swisher at first to open center for Griffey, a move that would reduce the playing time of first baseman Paul Konerko. But Griffey has not played center regularly since 2006."

Would they really put him in centerfield?

texasdave
07-31-2008, 08:25 AM
That sound you hear is Chris Dickerson packing his bags for an anticipated trip up the river from Louisville to Cincinnati (actually to Washington, D.C. this weekend). Godspeed, Chris.

OldRed1966
07-31-2008, 08:28 AM
That sound you hear is Chris Dickerson packing his bags for an anticipated trip up the river from Louisville to Cincinnati (actually to Washington, D.C. this weekend). Godspeed, Chris.

They would probably just use the roster spot to activate Hairston Jr.

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Please please please.

I bet you our winning percentage is better w/o Griffey in that 3-hole. And just think, we get to say he homered in his last game for us.

I just hope he doesn't nix the deal. If he does, shame on him. He's not wanted anymore.

ChatterRed
07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Konerko is their first baseman, and he's batting only .214 with 9 Homers. Thome can play 1B, is batting .256 with 19homers. I think they move Thome to 1B and let Junior DH. Has to be what they are thinking. They are upgrading the 1B and DH positions in their lineup.

I hear the deal breaker is whether or not Junior gets to bat third. ;) (just kidding)

OldRed1966
Please please please.

I bet you our winning percentage is better w/o Griffey in that 3-hole. And just think, we get to say he homered in his last game for us.

I just hope he doesn't nix the deal. If he does, shame on him. He's not wanted anymore.

He would be stupid to veto the deal. This will give him probably his last chance to possibly play in a World Series.

texasdave

You are probably right. But there is nothing wrong with a little early-morning wishful thinking, is there?

Mr.RedStripe
07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
http://bengalsworld.com/forum/images/smilies/cursing.gif

http://bengalsworld.com/forum/images/smilies/sad4.gif

http://bengalsworld.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif

http://bengalsworld.com/forum/images/smilies/musik25.gif

Redeye fly
07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
The White Sox are the almost literal last team I would expect to have an interest in and deal for Jr.

ChatterRed
07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Actually, it makes perfect sense with their DH, Konerko, only batting .214 with 9 homers and 30 rbi. I think it's definitely an upgrade, and Junior is actually starting to hit better right now.

I think Junior would be stupid to nix this trade. He has never played in a World Series and the ChiSox definitely have a chance.

If he nixes the trade, when you're talking all of about 10 weeks left in the season, I'd question his competitiveness and desire to win it all.

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 08:45 AM
I wanna hear from Walt or Bob Castellini an honest answer on why this move was made

44Magnum
07-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Please let this happen!

Redeye fly
07-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Actually, it makes perfect sense with their DH, Konerko, only batting .214 with 9 homers and 30 rbi. I think it's definitely an upgrade, and Junior is actually starting to hit better right now.

I think Junior would be stupid to nix this trade. He has never played in a World Series and the ChiSox definitely have a chance.

If he nixes the trade, when you're talking all of about 10 weeks left in the season, I'd question his competitiveness and desire to win it all.

Maybe

But, and not that it's that big of a deal, I seem to recall some smart alecky quotes from both Junior and Kenny Williams the last time the White Sox showed half an interest in Junior. Something to the effect of Kenny Williams saying he thought about trading for Griffey for about two minutes, or whatever, and Ken said "He thought about it for as long as his playing career lasted?"

HalMorrisRules
07-31-2008, 09:03 AM
I think its interesting that the Chicago Sun-Times and the Tribune are both relying upon the Rosenthal story. They havent heard anything themselves which you would think they would since they cover the team day in and day out.

scuba17
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
So, was Griffey's time in Cincy a bust?

I(heart)Freel
07-31-2008, 09:06 AM

I think Thome is their DH. And he's doing fine. And he's left-handed. So this would mean Junior would be playing a lot of outfield.

scuba17
07-31-2008, 09:06 AM
I think its interesting that the Chicago Sun-Times and the Tribune are both relying upon the Rosenthal story. They havent heard anything themselves which you would think they would since they cover the team day in and day out.

Rosenthal works harder than the SunTimes and the Trib, I'd trust him.

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Rosenthal works harder than the SunTimes and the Trib, I'd trust him.

He's like the Jay Glazer of baseball

CarolinaRedleg
07-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Purely speculation, but I seem to recall Brian Anderson's name coming up a good bit during the spring.

GoReds33
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
It's early, so stay with me, but maybe we could get Konerko in return. He needs a change of scenery.

ChatterRed
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Maybe they are trying to upgrade the defense in CF and acquire Brian Anderson?

redsfanmia
07-31-2008, 09:26 AM
I doubt this trade goes through, Griff will probably want the option picked up to approve the trade and thats not going to happen.

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 09:35 AM
I think Griffey nixes it because he won't be able to rule the roost in Chicago like he does here. He'll have to make new friends and a new posse that will put up with his ridiculous acts.

It takes time to become a cancer, and he's done that here. Now that he's done that here and has entrenched himself in the Reds clubhouse he won't just give it up.

Grande Donkey
07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
It's early, so stay with me, but maybe we could get Konerko in return. He needs a change of scenery.Why would we want Konerko? Joey Votto is better than Konerko is right now.

Biff Pocoroba
07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
espn.com is now also reporting the tentative deal pending Griffey's approval. No word from them on potential players coming to the Reds.

the story doesn't advance the Fox Sports one at all but would indicate that espn.com's guy at least made a call to someone who confirmed what fox sports is reporting.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
to be completely honest.. while Griffs time here wasn't near as good as we expected when he came back home..

you double his numbers here for an 18 year playing career.. and he is over 400 homers.. and in only 945 games here..

his glove was gold glove caliber til late 2005..

By no means would he be a lock.. but most guys who hit over 400 homers are in the hall of fame anyways..

soo even though we are upset as a fan base that we aren't witnessing him breaking 750 or 800.. his time here when really reflected on isn't like it was horrible.. he was still a borderline HOF player during his time here..

But man had he stayed healthy....

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
I wish the signing never happened though. Wish he would have stayed in Seattle.

After 2000, it was no fun anymore. 1 year of 'griffey' and zero playoff games.

Krawhitham
07-31-2008, 09:42 AM
ESPN news (Mike & Mike) reporting he may be a bench player, since they have no where to put him. SOX will not give up anything for a bench player, explain how this is anything but a salary dump. Would he accept a trade to be a bench player? Maybe if they agree to pick up his option for 09

BLEEDS
07-31-2008, 09:42 AM

Actually it BETTER BE, otherwise "you know who" will be playing CF for the rest of the season. That might be enough for me to not watch them again until next April.

This also should save us some serious $$$ - I wonder what the implications are for the $4M buy-out for next year as well?

This to me, means they are SERIOUS about FA this off-season - even though there's not much there. Without even the OPTION of keeping Junior, you've really closed the door on anyone with over 30 HR power on this club for next year - and as HORRIBLE as it is to mention, Junior is STILL the 2nd leading OBP guy for this team. Of course that's wasted with the Major League Leader in GIDP batting behind him, but that's another discussion.

I think it also frees up money to extend Dunn, ASAP. No way do they trade him if this goes down. Maybe they go after Carl Crawford to play CF for us next year? NAH....

PEACE

-BLEEDS

steig
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
I think he accepts the trade. If we are hearing about the trade on the news, i would hope that the Reds had already talked to Griffey and his agent about the deal.

TDHND
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM

can he be our everyday centerfielder?

Buster
07-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Who pays the deferred money in Griffey's contract if he is traded?

Fon Duc Tow
07-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Can you imagine the backlash if he nixes the deal?

Would he get booed when they come back home?

I(heart)Freel
07-31-2008, 10:10 AM
The Reds have been socking that deferred money aside (and making interest on it) every year. So I'm certain they'd be on the hook for that. You can thank Lindner and John Allen for that set-up. Say what you will about Junior as a Red... he bent over backwards with this contract.

Mr.RedStripe
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
can he be our everyday centerfielder?

I think the better question is, can he stay healthy ?

I hope so, because this guy has been one of our best players this season.

If they are dumping salary, can we PLEASE get rid of Freel ?

Honestly, I hope Griffey says NO.

CHI doesnt have anyone that would benefit us now or in the future.

One guy maybe in Pereda.

Best of luck to one of my all-time favorites.

Most of our fans dont deserve to have a player like you.

It makes me sick thinking about some of the things Ive heard said about him since coming here.

Just know, not all CIN fans are idiots. :thumbup:

If it does go through, I think they will try to sign Dunn long term.

Most of you will be disappointed to see what we got in return.

And then you will be like, "thats all we got for Grif?" :rolleyes:

Say what you will, but the guy had bad luck with injuries.
He gave up millions to become a Red and his name has never came up in the Steroid talk.

tsj017
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Let's follow the Larkin pattern:

Griffey turns down the trade, and the Reds sign a well-past-his-prime player to a big 3-year deal!

Team continues to stink, but at least the fans are happy!

If they can move Griffey AND Dunn in the same day, I might weep with joy.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-31-2008, 10:27 AM
I would agree.. I am a HUGE Griffey fan, but if he isn't retiring after this year, i want to get something for him NOW..

if we can move he and Dunn in one day.. HOLY COW!!!

JR+Rose=G.O.A.T
07-31-2008, 10:30 AM
I love jr but ,I love the reds more time to move on !

bleedsred
07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
I love reading all the "Jr is a cancer" posts....I wish the man the best, I hope he goes to the Sox and wins him a ring. He has played the game the right way(without the roids) and has battled back after several injuries which would have ended many players careers. When I think of JR...I don't think of cancer.....I think of heart and desire. Good luck JR.....

Mr.RedStripe
07-31-2008, 10:39 AM
I love reading all the "Jr is a cancer" posts....I wish the man the best, I hope he goes to the Sox and wins him a ring. He has played the game the right way(without the roids) and has battled back after several injuries which would have ended many players careers. When I think of JR...I don't think of cancer.....I think of heart and desire. Good luck JR.....

Exactly. http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif

If I could give you Rep I would. :thumbup:

After the way people have dogged, cussed, harassed and shouted racial slurs at him. http://boards.bengals.com/images/huh.gif

I think I would have a little bit of an attitude as well.
Hell, I think he has handled himself pretty well, better than I would have.

With some of the things I have heard said to him @ games, Id be dropping more than an F bomb.

Fans have rediculed him for years for no reason.

Is it his fault we were promised playoffs with the new stadium ?
Is it his fault we were supposed to depend on guys like Milton just name one ?
Is it his fault our coaches couldnt maximize the potential of guys like Lohse and Dempster ?
Is it his fault he has NOT had the talent around him to succeed ?

Bottom line.....

He has been treated like garbage and deserves better.

He's a hard working, intelligent player who doesn't put money first. The only flyballs he "loafs" to are the ones that he knows are out of reach because of his hammy (I'll trust a 10-time Gold Glove winner's judgment over yours).

There's no way we get to a World Series with him here? Okay and? There's no way we get to a World Series with him NOT here. This team is years away from making the playoffs, sorry but it's true, whether Jr. Griffey is here or gone doesn't change the fact that we're not a World Series team.

yab1112
07-31-2008, 10:41 AM
any one have any idea on a time frame for when we'll know if its official?

ChatterRed
07-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Jay Bruce has done it several times (thrown a runner out at home), including Saturday, in the same game as Griffey.

fadetoblack2880
07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Sox don't need a RF, weird that they would approach the Reds for a corner outfielder. Either way, I hope this means Dunn stays...

Krawhitham
07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
who will you guys blame for the Reds not making the playoffs if JR accepts the trade?

Ahhhorsepoo
07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
same guy i have blamed for 7 years.. ADAM DUNN.. if he gets traded and we get a 20 homer 280 BA decent defensive outfielder, we will be at least a .500 team next year..

markymark69
07-31-2008, 10:59 AM
I love jr but ,I love the reds more time to move on !

I agree. Thanks Jr. for your service now go get you a ring.

George Foster
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree. Thanks Jr. for your service now go get you a ring.

Is it official yet? Who did we get?

George Foster
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
who will you guys blame for the Reds not making the playoffs if JR accepts the trade?

It won't be the guy who is 20 pounds over-weight, batting 3rd, and way past his prime......

CarolinaRedleg
07-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Post on the ORG (paraphrasing from a Sox board) says Jr for Brian Anderson and reliever Nick Massett.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
BRAIN ANDERSON?! He has a career just like this years Corey Patterson..

George Foster
07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
BRAIN ANDERSON?! He has a career just like this years Corey Patterson..

I've been on org....does not say if it's official yet...or does it?

schmidty622
07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Brian Anderson is like 40 years old.

Edit: OH the other Brian Anderson. That sucks too.

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Junior has not played the game the right way if you are of my school of thought. Half speed most of the time, and hot dogging are not the 'right way'.... not when you posess the type of ability he does. He takes plays off

George Foster
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Brian Anderson is like 40 years old.

Edit: OH the other Brian Anderson. That sucks too.

I honestly don't care who we get. We dumped about 35% of a 12 million dollar contract for this season, and gives Jerry Harrison Jr. a starting position.

sjjones
07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
CBS Sportsline is now reporting Danny Richar (2B) and Nick Masset (P) for Griffey. Still no word on any money changing hands...

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10914920

bgwilly31
07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Junior has not played the game the right way if you are of my school of thought. Half speed most of the time, and hot dogging are not the 'right way'.... not when you posess the type of ability he does. He takes plays off

Exactly, classic Hot dogging griffey.

The rest of the griffey defenders must not be able to watch the game. I cant imagine how you cant tell that griffey hot dogs around. Has ZERO team moral. Always the last one to high five a player after a homerun in the dugout. If he does at all. He's a cancer.

Slyder
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM
same guy i have blamed for 7 years.. ADAM DUNN.. if he gets traded and we get a 20 homer 280 BA decent defensive outfielder, we will be at least a .500 team next year..

Less runs creted, slight upgrade defensively, slightly better batting average LF makes this team 500. :rolleyes:Right... And I have some ocean front property to sale you in West Virginia if you truely believe that.

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
The Reds approached Griffey on Wednesday night in Houston and asked if he would waive his contractual rights to accept a deal to the White Sox, according to a baseball source. Griffey has the right to veto any trade because he has 10 years of major league service time and five years with the Reds.

The Associated Press is reporting that according to a source, Griffey wants answers to a few questions unrelated to the contract.

"Can I still hit 3rd regardless of my low batting average?"

"Do I have to run out ground balls?"

"Can I be aloof and a 38 year old brat just because I was once elite?"

"Can I snarl at fans in the outfield and make slash-throat gestures at Ken 'Hawk' Harrelson without reprecussion?"

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Less runs creted, slight upgrade defensively, slightly better batting average LF makes this team 500. :rolleyes:Right... And I have some ocean front property to sale you in West Virginia if you truely believe that.

It's unreal some of the logic these guys use isn't it? :rolleyes:

Strider
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
CBS Sportsline is saying the Reds get infielder Danny Richar and right-handed pitcher Nick Masset in the deal. Anyone know anything about these guys?

gobucks106
07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Ken Griffey Jr. has never played in a World Series. Now he might get his chance.

Clock is ticking The trade deadline is approaching fast. Who else will find themselves in a new uniform by Thursday's end? Ken Rosenthal has all the latest news and notes. Griffey has approved a trade to the White Sox, according to a source with knowledge of the deal. The trade is now pending the approval of the commissioner, an indication that it involves a cash transaction of more than $1 million.

The approval is expected to be a formality. It is not yet known what the Reds will receive in return.

Griffey had the right to block a deal as a player with at least 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club. He did not receive any form of compensation for waiving his no-trade protection.

The White Sox, leading the American League Central by a 1.5 games, would use Griffey mostly in the outfield, the source said. However, they do not have an obvious spot for Griffey unless they make another trade.

The Sox are set at the corners with Carlos Quentin in left and Jermaine Dye in right. They could play Nick Swisher at first to open center for Griffey, a move that would reduce the playing time of first baseman Paul Konerko and designated hitter Jim Thome. But Griffey has not played center regularly since 2006.

Griffey, earning $12.5 million this season in the final year of his contract, is owed more than $4 million in salary. The amount of cash in the trade -- if any -- is not known.

The White Sox attempted to acquire Griffey from the Reds at the trade deadline in 2005, but the trade reportedly was nixed by Reds ownership for financial reasons.

Griffey, 38, is batting .245 this season with a .355 on-base percentage, 15 home runs and 53 RBIs in 359 at-bats. Earlier this season, he hit his 600th home run.

jmble
07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Listening to XM radio right now and they just said the Reds are paying four million dollars along with Griffey in the bill.

Strider
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Rosenthal says Griffey has accepted the trade...it's now with the Commish...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398348/Reds,-ChiSox-agree-on-Griffey-trade,-await-approval

George Foster
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
ESPN has nothing official yet, neither club has announced anything....it's not a done deal yet boys..... it's all speculation from call-in shows

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah its official. I just got back on to post the link. You beat me to it.

ED44
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Danny Richar and Nick Masset coming back according to Rosenthal.

bgwilly31
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
DING DONG THE CANCER IS GONE!!!!

Fon Duc Tow
07-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Too bad there isn't some middle ground between Griffey batting 3rd and trading him for peanuts. :rolleyes:

EddieMilner
07-31-2008, 01:09 PM

thats funny, you are still posting.

REDblooded
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM
great news!

Brutus
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM

The most ironic part of statements like this one is that if you took a poll of all the Reds' players as to who the most popular guy on the team is, Ken Griffey Jr. might win the vote or be one of the top 2-3 guys.

I thought "cancers" were thought of as disliked players on their teams?

bounty37h
07-31-2008, 01:59 PM
^Brutus, that doesnt matter, what matters is these people heard another poster say he was a cancer, so that makes him a cancer-I mean, if its on the internet(s), esp a message board, it HAS to be true, doenst it?

Btrester151
07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
its official, Selig Aproved the Deal

Cigar2
07-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Just here to say So Long Junior to bad it did'nt workout like it could have or should have.

Oxilon
07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
The last season before we didn't have Griffey, the Reds went 96-67....just sayin'.

RedsFanInMobile
07-31-2008, 06:01 PM
As a fan of Jr's, I think this is a good move for him and I wish him the best of luck in Chicago and I hope that he finally gets a shot at playing in the World Series. He deserves that chance and I'll be watching and cheering him on! No, his time here didn't turn out the way we (and he, I would imagine) had hoped but, considering the injuries he sustained and the fact that father time is catching up with him, he gave us some pretty good years and I for one am glad that I got to see him in Reds uniform.

I've been a Reds fan for a long time and as much as I love Jr., I love the Reds more and I hope that management will start to make the kind of moves they need to make to get us back to being winners!

improbus
07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
The last season before we didn't have Griffey, the Reds went 96-67....just sayin'.

Well... Here is a list of our opening day starters during the Junior era.
2000 - Pete Harnisch
2001 - Pete Harnisch (His last year in baseball)
2002 - Joey Hamilton (He pitched 10 innings in 2003, his last season)
2003 - Jimmy Haynes (He pitched 15 innings in 2004, his last season)
2004 - Corey Lidle (Traded and then we all know about his horrible accident, but he was never more than a #3)
2005 - Paul Wilson (His last year in baseball)
2006 - Aaron Harang
2007 - Aaron Harang

Even if Junior slugged 50 a year, he wouldn't have made a difference, so stop banging on the guy.

RedsFanInMobile
07-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Well... Here is a list of our opening day starters during the Junior era.
2000 - Pete Harnisch
2001 - Pete Harnisch (His last year in baseball)
2002 - Joey Hamilton (He pitched 10 innings in 2003, his last season)
2003 - Jimmy Haynes (He pitched 15 innings in 2004, his last season)
2004 - Corey Lidle (Traded and then we all know about his horrible accident, but he was never more than a #3)
2005 - Paul Wilson (His last year in baseball)
2006 - Aaron Harang
2007 - Aaron Harang

Even if Junior slugged 50 a year, he wouldn't have made a difference, so stop banging on the guy.

Good post. I've read a lot of posts from people who seem to want to blame JR. for all the losing seasons, as if the horrible pitching, several manager changes, cheap owners, and bad management decisions had nothing at all to with losing.

improbus
07-31-2008, 06:15 PM
One thing I will say about Junior is that he was most definitely bigger than the team. Think about it, he had been through numerous owners, numerous general managers, and countless managers. So, who had more clout in the organization than Junior? Why do you think he was still hitting 3rd?

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 06:16 PM
The time had come. I'll always have a soft spot for junior but the time had come long ago and past. Reds did him a huge favor by trading him to a contender for peanuts. This deal was done for Ken Griffey Jr. as much as it was for the Reds.

redram
07-31-2008, 06:40 PM
I will always like Junior and I know he wanted to stay healthy so he could help make us a winner. I think the last couple of years though his drive was not there anymore. Maybe this trade will get him fired up again. He has a shot at winning with The White Sox and had no real shot here due to some bad deals and bad pitching when we Hit and poor hitting now that we have better pitching. I wish him well, but think it was past time. I don't think we got much, but this will allow Patterson to play everyday again, choke choke choke throw up. Just kidding, but wait and see Baker will play him now, but when Harriston gets back he better sit Pattserson on his Tail again and keep him there.

Northern Dancer
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
On one hand, I'm sad to see Griffey go, but on the hand, I feel it was time to move beyond the Griffey era.
Watching him reach the 500 & 600 HRs milestones when he was healthy was nice, but it didn't do much for the win column.
Hopefully, the Reds have learned not to put all their financial eggs into one basket, as they didn't earn too many playoff appearances.
At any rate, all the best Junior!

improbus
07-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Hopefully, the Reds have learned not to put all their financial eggs into one basket, as they didn't earn too many playoff appearances.
Here is the sad part. The Reds opened the pocket books for Junior and then slammed them shut. Uncle Carl was simply unwilling to make the commitment it takes to win. In a way, I can't blame Junior for not being a rah-rah guy. He came here with a promise that the franchise would attempt to be competitive. The Reds reneged on that deal. I'm actually surprised that he didn't ask out of Cincy earlier. Just about anyone else would have.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I wish Junior all the best, he was one of my favorite players ever, and I was so excited when he came to Cincy. It's going to go down as one of the worst hard luck stories in baseball history how things ended up. It's not his fault for the past several years, unfortunately we didn't have much of anything pitching wise - but also, how can you blame him for injuries, where he gave it his all?

I hope he has some sort of success if he ends up in the playoffs, I'll be rooting for him. I hope he can have a resurggence.

Chi-Town Red
07-31-2008, 07:02 PM
WOW....never saw it coming...this is crazy, because i live 5 blocks from cellular field.....Yes i root for the Sox , but a life long transplant Reds fan from the west coast( another story for another day)

Griffey is pretty much getting blasted by fans and media here already( i had sports radio on all day)....the word is that he demanded to play center or he would veto the trade...

The media cant understand why the Sox would trade for him? He really cant play center anymore...and most of the fans are saying its like Willie Mays playing out his career with the Mets...most think he is way past his prime....and dont like the trade what so ever
what do you do if he plays center? put Nick Swisher at first? then you bench Konerko? Dye in RF and Carlos Quintin in LF are not going anywhere....neither is Jim Thome at DH...
Also heard that Dunn was the guy they really wanted, but the Reds didint like what the White Sox were offering

Chi-Town Red
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Also, Griffey will not be in Minnesota tonight to Join the club, But will be in Kansas City tomorrow when Chicago starts a 3 game set there

He will be wearing number 17...I have no idea why...

schmidty622
07-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Also, Griffey will not be in Minnesota tonight to Join the club, But will be in Kansas City tomorrow when Chicago starts a 3 game set there

He will be wearing number 17...I have no idea why...

17, the number of homeruns he hit in 1995.... DUHHHHH

Chi-Town Red
07-31-2008, 07:35 PM
17, the number of homeruns he hit in 1995.... DUHHHHH
Ahhh yes the shattered wrist season ...i remember it well!

Mutaman
07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
This just makes me hate Lindner more than ever. One of the great players ever falls in his lap and instead of making the necessary investment to compliment this windfall, he counts his beans and sets a goal of breaking even. Thanks for wrecking my team you jerk.

schmidty622
07-31-2008, 07:51 PM
This just makes me hate Lindner more than ever. One of the great players ever falls in his lap and instead of making the necessary investment to compliment this windfall, he counts his beans and sets a goal of breaking even. Thanks for wrecking my team you jerk.

Ugh, there is nothing worse then fans that look at the past and cry about what could have been. It's over stop talking about it.

07-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Ugh, there is nothing worse then fans that look at the past and cry about what could have been. It's over stop talking about it.

Those who do not learn from the past are bound to repeat it.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-31-2008, 08:08 PM

Agreed - a lot of it was just bad luck with injuries that couldn't be helped, but Linder never made any effort trying to improve the team. For a billionaire, he sure didn't give jack crap about the organization. At least we know Castellini is a guy who cares and wants to win. I remember one year, our sole free agent signing was an injured John Vander Wal. That's the Reds organization in a nutshell during the Junior era.

gilpdawg
07-31-2008, 08:24 PM
This day is bittersweet. I know we need to move on from the "Junior era" but I'm still a little sad. I know he won't read this, or even give a crap, but thanks to Ken Griffey, Jr. It's not like he WANTED his body to betray him, although you'd think that judging from the way people treated him sometimes. Like he WANTED to not play. Now go get that ring in Chicago.

schmidty622
07-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Those who do not learn from the past are bound to repeat it.

Who exactly is learning in this case? Reds fans? Have fun trying not to repeat this aspect of Reds history. I bet you'll find it rather hard to make any difference whatsoever.

Ghosts of 1990
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Number 17... wow thats bad.

Thought he'd wear 24

Mutaman
07-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Who exactly is learning in this case? Reds fans? Have fun trying not to repeat this aspect of Reds history. I bet you'll find it rather hard to make any difference whatsoever.

Mind rewriting this in english?

Mutaman
07-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Agreed - a lot of it was just bad luck with injuries that couldn't be helped, but Linder never made any effort trying to improve the team. For a billionaire, he sure didn't give jack crap about the organization. At least we know Castellini is a guy who cares and wants to win. I remember one year, our sole free agent signing was an injured John Vander Wal. That's the Reds organization in a nutshell during the Junior era.

You've got to cut Carl a little slack. He was using all of his money to fund the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia. Then he got fined $25 million for that act so how can you expect him to have any left for a couple of decent pitchers.

schmidty622
07-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Mind rewriting this in english?

How is this hard to understand? It was said "Those who do not learn from the past are bound to repeat it." So I said, "Who exactly is learning in this case? Reds fans? Have fun trying not to repeat this aspect of Reds history. I bet you'll find it rather hard to make any difference whatsoever."

It means, for those that are not smart enough to understand, that the "Those who do not learn from the past are bound to repeat it." statement is BS. The owners don't learn anything from this, because they are still making money. So who exactly is learning? The reds fans. But they don't really matter because you don't have the power to affect anything as long as the team still makes money.

Thome 25
07-31-2008, 09:32 PM
CBS Sportsline is saying the Reds get infielder Danny Richar and right-handed pitcher Nick Masset in the deal. Anyone know anything about these guys?

Richar is a potential high OBP guy acquired from the D-Backs last year but he was hurt to begin the season. The emergence of Alexei Ramirez made him expendable. Not sure what use the Reds have for him since they have Brandon Phillips.

Masset is complete garbage. Had one decent spot start against the Cubs last year, but that's it. Low strikeout total, lots of walks, high WHIP but he's been bailed out and has a misleading ERA. In response to a rumor of the Sox acquring David Weathers as well, one poster at Soxtalk.com said "Keep the NL version of Nick Masset the f*** away from this team."

Oh yeah, he's out of options too. So if he can't figure it out, don't expect to send him to the minors to try and figure it out. If he makes it down there, it should say something about the other 29 MLB teams passing up on him.

Mutaman
07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
How is this hard to understand? It was said "Those who do not learn from the past are bound to repeat it." So I said, "Who exactly is learning in this case? Reds fans? Have fun trying not to repeat this aspect of Reds history. I bet you'll find it rather hard to make any difference whatsoever."

It means, for those that are not smart enough to understand, that the "Those who do not learn from the past are bound to repeat it." statement is BS. The owners don't learn anything from this, because they are still making money. So who exactly is learning? The reds fans. But they don't really matter because you don't have the power to affect anything as long as the team still makes money.

Thanks for breaking it down for all of us stupid people. I guess some of us tonight felt on reflecting on Jr's years in Cincinnati. That would involve "looking at the past", and maybe even "crying about what might have been." Sorry if that offends those of you who refuse to look past 5 minutes ago. It's just for tonight, we promise.

schmidty622
07-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for breaking it down for all of us stupid people. I guess some of us tonight felt on reflecting on Jr's years in Cincinnati. That would involve "looking at the past", and maybe even "crying about what might have been." Sorry if that offends those of you who refuse to look past 5 minutes ago. It's just for tonight, we promise.

Good, because even 5 minutes ago, means nothing.

DntKnw
07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
To change the subject a little bit . . .

Anyone notice the irony that we traded Mike Cameron for KGJ in 2000. We got Cameron from the ChiSox in exchange for Paul Konerko before the '99 season. (We had gotten Konerko from LAD and Casey from CLE and Casey won the 1B job.) One of the reasons the Sox wanted KGJ was so they could move Swisher to 1B and get Konerko out of the lineup.

Things always seem to come full-circle.

Chi-Town Red
07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Glad we have another 2nd baseman...cannot have enough of them i guess?

BLEEDS
08-01-2008, 12:17 AM

Well, we DO need one that can hit Right Handed pitching better than Corey Patterson. Maybe this guy can be that?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

08-01-2008, 12:19 AM

Richar is really a SS. He was moved to 2nd this year since the White Sox needed one.

Manut Bol
08-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Well, we DO need one that can hit Right Handed pitching better than Corey Patterson. Maybe this guy can be that?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

What?

BLEEDS
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Richar is really a SS. He was moved to 2nd this year since the White Sox needed one.

After doing more research, this is where I think the Reds beleive he might be able to develop - a future SS.

Allegedly he's got some "OBP" potential, and is pretty slick fielding. We have NOTHING in the minors at SS, other than Janish who's got no stick.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
What?

We need a 2nd baseman that can hit RHP-ers with a higher OPS than Corey Patterson's OPS against RHP.

Corey is the only position player on the Reds roster who he has a higher OPS against RHP.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bgwilly31
08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
why did my posts about what marty said get deleted?

:rolleyes:

BLEEDS
08-01-2008, 11:16 AM
why did my posts about what marty said get deleted?

:rolleyes:

I think a lot of posts got deleted - ones that were put in shortly after the board came up yesterday.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Btrester151
08-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Jr will not be wearing number 17. Nick Swisher Gave up his number 30 for JR. Swisher will now wear number 1.

www.whitesox.xom

Chi-Town Red
08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Swisher Will Keep 30

GIK
08-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Jr will not be wearing number 17. Nick Swisher Gave up his number 30 for JR. Swisher will now wear number 1.

www.whitesox.xom

Try WhiteSox.com

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080801&content_id=3236290&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws