PDA

View Full Version : REDS Tribute to Junior Thread

Nugget
07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Well when I had trouble loggin on I thought Junior did not agree to the trade so REDSZONE had a collective meltdown. However, can't see anything more than the rumours still swirling around.

But I thought it would be appropriate to have a thread commemorating Junior's time with the REDS. And that REDSZONE have something positive to say about his departure, after he played for the REDS and gave his all. Maybe his faculties have diminshed in the later years but it would still be great for us to say an appropriate goodbye.

As I said in the trade thread I wish Junior all the best in the future for him and his family. And hopefully will get to see him again someday as he is inducted into the REDS hall of fame and Cooperstown (more likely as a Mariner).

Feel free to disagree if you like but it would be classy of REDSZONE to farwell Junior for all the years he has had with us.

sonny
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
I wish him nothing but the best. The day he was traded to the Reds, I clipped out the newspaper article and hung it on my wall, thinking "this is gonna be a dynasty." It, of course never materialized, but I'm glad we had the opportunity to see one, if not THE greatest natural baseball player don a Reds uniform.

Chip R
07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
There might not have been a RedsZone without Jr.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
#400, #500, #600 in a Reds uniform!

SirFelixCat
07-31-2008, 11:38 AM
I wish him nothing but the best. The day he was traded to the Reds, I clipped out the newspaper article and hung it on my wall, thinking "this is gonna be a dynasty." It, of course never materialized, but I'm glad we had the opportunity to see one, if not THE greatest natural baseball player don a Reds uniform.

:thumbup:

I grew up in Portland, Oregon...as a Reds fan (thanks to E.D.), but also a HUGE Griffey fan. When he got traded to the Reds, it was a dream come true for me. I was THRILLED.

Unfortunately, yes he was banged up a lot of the time he was here, but I still will look back and be glad that I got to see one of the best of all time play for my beloved Reds. I hope he finally gets his ring and while I'm sad to see him go, this turns the page on another chapter in Reds history.

Here's to Jr. and him giving the Reds all he had, whether the fans thought he did or not. I, for one, think he most certainly did.:beerme:

Thanks for the memories, Grif...and good luck in the future!

wolfboy
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM

How true that is. I was just thinking about that. I began reading/posting at cincinnati.com because of my excitement due to the Griffey trade. That's how I found out about redszone. I think boss had the site in his sig at cincinnati.com.

I'll miss Griffey as a Red. I think what I'll miss even more is the excitement I felt for the Reds when he initially came here. It's hard to have that pride for your team beaten into submission year after year. Unfortunately, this team has been poorly managed since then.

As someone else noted, Griffey's tenure here has been really tragic. The positive I see is that one of the best communities on the internet was born largely because of his trade here.

NJReds
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2004/0614_large.jpg

KoryMac5
07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Griffey is without a doubt the best player I have ever seen, I will be proud to tell my future children I was able to see him play.

RedsBaron
07-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Junior will be inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame one day. Of course, he will also be a first ballot inductee into that other HOF in Cooperstown.
I'm pleased by the trade, but I wish him well, and I hope he finally gets his ring.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 06:39 PM
The inside the park GWHR with Joe Nuxhall on the call!!

Razor Shines
07-31-2008, 06:54 PM
I'll miss him for sure. I've just gotten home so I'm not sure what the particulars of the trade were or how much I like it. As of right now I'll say it was probably for the best, but I'm going to miss watching him play for the Reds the rest of this season. I've had a lot of fun watching him hit in July.

Usually I root for the Yankees once the Reds are out, but this year I'll with out a doubt root for the White Sox to win it all. Good luck Jr.

Edskin
07-31-2008, 07:00 PM
This was a good/easy deal for us to make and I'm glad we made it...a few years too larte probably.

But I can't shake the sadness that the KGJ years in Cincy didn't go very well for any parties-- the player, the team, or the fans. Really disappointing outcome on many levels.

However, I do wish KGJ nothing but the best-- I hope he is able to contribute and play in meaningful games-- I think he deserves to end his career doing something other than playing out the string-- and in Cincy, that's all we do.

Caveat Emperor
07-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. was class on and off the field.

I consider it a privilege and an honor to have watched him play for my favorite team. I only wish the team around him had been good enough for him to lead to the promised land.

Reds Fanatic
07-31-2008, 07:13 PM
I will miss him but I am very glad he gets the chance to play somewhere we has a chance to go back to the playoffs.

Junior was always a class act and I respect him so much for all he accomplished playing the game honestly when so many players around him did not.

buckeyenut
07-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Mr Griffey, thanks for the memories. Things didn't turn out quite like we'd hoped, but we were blessed and honored to have your baseball greatness among us here in your hometown. You are always welcome here.

Good luck in Chicago. I will be a White Sox fan for the first time in my life for the next 3 months. Bring them home a title.

redsfan4445
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Well today I was in a stunned state of mind. I was very sad and bitter because Lindner had the money to build a winner around Jr. but refused to do it. And I am very glad i got to see Jr.s very last Reds home run at GABP this past weekend. I will never forget him being a Red. I had a tear the day he was traded to the Reds and today I was very bummed and not really in any mood to talk.. I thank Griffey Jr for accepting less money to play for the Reds. I Hope nothing but the best for him and I will root for the White Sox so he can get that ring that he should have been allowed to get here. It was a honor to get to see 6 of his career homers in person as a Red. I wish nothing but the best and I will be planning a trip to the Hall of Fame the year he is inducted. He is my favorite player and always will be.. God Bless you Ken and your family.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. was class on and off the field.

I consider it a privilege and an honor to have watched him play for my favorite team. I only wish the team around him had been good enough for him to lead to the promised land.

Same here. I'll truly miss the guy. Trading him was the right move but it's still very sad to me. He was always my favorite player growing up along with Larkin and my dream was for him to someday play for the Reds. He is a classy individual and I wish him nothing but the best. I'll be rooting for him to get a much deserved World Series ring.

Cyclone792
07-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Griffey during his farewell month of July 2008: .271/.386/.541/.927.

He hit five home runs, six doubles, one triple, and added in 15 walks over his 101 plate appearances during the month. That's really not too shabby at all. Too bad all most Reds fans will remember is his run in with Brantley.

I've got something else I'm going to hopefully look up too ...

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 10:01 PM
To me, the Brantley thing never happened. That's not something I care about or will even bother talking about. I'll always remember him for being an excellent person on and off the field, and one of the best players I have ever seen. Most players would have called it quits years ago if they suffered the same injuries that Griffey did. He constantly played through pain while here and I respect the heck out of him for that. While I think it was the right move to trade him for both him and the Reds organization, it's still a sad day for me. I'll miss him. I'll be rooting for the White Sox to win it all.

Spitball
07-31-2008, 10:05 PM

One of my first memories of Junior coming to Cincy was of the Mariner fans who flooded the old Cincy.com forum. It got to be ridiculous. We could barely celebrate his arrival because they were so upset to lose him. Gallagher, Appaloosa, and others were so bad. I remember getting up one morning and reviewing the previous night's threads and one declared a victory, "We have won! They have all given up and left the board! We have won!"

I was glad another Seattle poster pointed out that due to time zone differences, it was 2:00 AM in Cincinnati and all the smart ones had gone to bed.

I'll truly miss Junior Griffey in a Reds' uniform. I have two replica jerseys, Junior's and Manny's, and they both were traded within the same 24 hour time span. Best of luck to both.

Cyclone792
07-31-2008, 10:28 PM
A few years back in 2005 I started saving ticket stubs for games I attended in which notable players did something, such as big time hitters hitting a home run, big time pitchers collecting a win, etc. I did manage to keep a few ticket stubs from years way back prior to 2005, though I think some of them were accidental until I finally started keeping all of them a few years back.

Anyhow, here are the ticket stubs and games I actually attended that saw notable Griffey events:

Thursday, April 6th, 2000 vs. Milwaukee: Griffey's first hit as a Cincinnati Red
Sunday, April 30th, 2000 @ Pittsburgh: Griffey home run #405
Thursday, July 22nd, 2000 vs. Colorado: Griffey home run #419

Saturday, May 14th, 2005 @ Philadelphia: Griffey home run #506
Friday, June 10th, 2005 vs. Baltimore: Griffey home run #511, which tied Mel Ott
Sunday, June 19th, 2005 vs. Atlanta: Griffey home run #513, which eclipsed Ernie Banks and Eddie Mathews
Friday, July 17th, 2005 vs. Colorado: Griffey home run #521, which tied Willie McCovey and Ted Williams

Wednesday, April 5th, 2006 vs. Chicago Cubs: Griffey home run #537, which eclipsed Mickey Mantle
Monday, May 22nd, 2006 vs. Milwaukee: Griffey home run #541
Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006 vs. Milwaukee: Griffey home run #542
Wednesday, June 28th, 2006 vs. Kansas City: Griffey home run #551
Monday, September 25th, 2006 vs. Chicago Cubs: Griffey home run #563, which tied Reggie Jackson

Friday, May 4th, 2007 vs. Colorado: Griffey home run #567
Friday, June 8th, 2007 vs. Cleveland: Griffey home run #577
Saturday, June 16, 2007 vs. Texas: Griffey home runs #580 and #581

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008 vs. Houston: Griffey home run #597
Saturday, May 31st, 2008 vs. Atlanta: Griffey home run #599 (also the same game for Jay Bruce home run #1)
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 @ New York Yankees: Griffey home run #601
Friday, July 4th, 2008 vs. Washington: Griffey home run #604

I went to numerous games from 2001-04, but all those ticket stubs invariably were lost or thrown away.

Thanks for the deep blasts and great memories, Junior. I'm proud to have seen you play for the Cincinnati Reds for nearly a decade. Good luck in Chicago.

KittyDuran
07-31-2008, 10:44 PM
A few years back in 2005 I started saving ticket stubs for games I attended in which notable players did something, such as big time hitters hitting a home run, big time pitchers collecting a win, etc. I did manage to keep a few ticket stubs from years way back prior to 2005, though I think some of them were accidental until I finally started keeping all of them a few years back.

Anyhow, here are the ticket stubs and games I actually attended that saw notable Griffey events:

Thursday, April 6th, 2000 vs. Milwaukee: Griffey's first hit as a Cincinnati Red

Friday, June 10th, 2005 vs. Baltimore: Griffey home run #511, which tied Mel Ott
Sunday, June 19th, 2005 vs. Atlanta: Griffey home run #513, which eclipsed Ernie Banks and Eddie Mathews
Friday, July 17th, 2005 vs. Colorado: Griffey home run #521, which tied Willie McCovey and Ted Williams

Wednesday, April 5th, 2006 vs. Chicago Cubs: Griffey home run #537, which eclipsed Mickey Mantle
Monday, September 25th, 2006 vs. Chicago Cubs: Griffey home run #563, which tied Reggie Jackson

Saturday, May 31st, 2008 vs. Atlanta: Griffey home run #599 (also the same game for Jay Bruce home run #1)

I went to numerous games from 2001-04, but all those ticket stubs invariably were lost or thrown away.

Thanks for the deep blasts and great memories, Junior. I'm proud to have seen you play for the Cincinnati Reds for nearly a decade. Good luck in Chicago.Cy... I've keep most of my tickets from 1999 - present I can look if you are keeping a collection. Let me know! :)

KittyDuran
07-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Fixed that for you...

There would not have been a RedsZone without Jr.

Cyclone792
07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Cy... I've keep most of my tickets from 1999 - present I can look if you are keeping a collection. Let me know! :)

Go for it, Kitty!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/event_hr.cgi?n1=griffke02&type=b

That's the only reference tool you should need to figure out if Griffey hit a home run in a game you attended, and if so, which career # homer he hit.

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Too bad all most Reds fans will remember is his run in with Brantley.

Nah, that's a short lived incident that's soon to have run its course. Junior and Marty had their share of issues over the years and no one, particularly the two subjects involved, remembers those anymore.

Like his status in the game during this steroid era, Junior's legacy in Cincy will only grow as more time passes.

KittyDuran
07-31-2008, 11:02 PM
One of my first memories of Junior coming to Cincy was of the Mariner fans who flooded the old Cincy.com forum. It got to be ridiculous. We could barely celebrate his arrival because they were so upset to lose him. Gallagher, Appaloosa, and others were so bad. I remember getting up one morning and reviewing the previous night's threads and one declared a victory, "We have won! They have all given up and left the board! We have won!"

I was glad another Seattle poster pointed out that due to time zone differences, it was 2:00 AM in Cincinnati and all the smart ones had gone to bed.

I'll truly miss Junior Griffey in a Reds' uniform. I have two replica jerseys, Junior's and Manny's, and they both were traded within the same 24 hour time span. Best of luck to both.Ahh.. those were the days...;)

Since I'm not a Junior fan, my first memories concerned the magnitude of the Reds obtaining a bona-fide superstar. The excitement, and going to my first Opening Day in 2000. I was fascinated by the reaction Junior received... a standing "O" at every at bat, something I would not witness again until Josh Hamilton's first at bat Opening Day 2007.

There was also a sense of sadness now when I think about the first year (2000). A co-worker was hired a month after Junior signed. One day he shows up at work with a Seahawks leather jacket on. Found out that he lived in Seattle for almost a decade. So I asked him what he thought about the Junior trade. Instead of answering he asked me the same question. Told him I was excited but neutral (since I wasn't a fan nor a fan of the AL). He took a deep breath and told me that Junior was the most exciting baseball player he had ever seen. That sweet swing, the amazing defense, he built Safeco Field BUT he comes with a lot of baggage. He prayed that all would go well and that we nor Junior would not be disappointed. I couldn't help but wonder what he's thinking up in heaven right now, but I'm pretty sure he's happy for Junior. My co-worker passed away May, 2002.

KittyDuran
07-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Go for it, Kitty!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/event_hr.cgi?n1=griffke02&type=b

That's the only reference tool you should need to figure out if Griffey hit a home run in a game you attended, and if so, which career # homer he hit.Great... it might take some time! :)

klw
07-31-2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAEXv53f_fE&feature=related I assume this is okay to link to.

klw
07-31-2008, 11:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0nRDbWIm54&feature=related

TheBurn
07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Best wishes Junior...
So glad that he hit a HR in his last game as a Red!

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7056/clappingtf4.gif

HokieRed
07-31-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm sorry to see him go, even though I think the timing is right for the organization and for Junior himself. He was a great player. Now some of you younger RZers know a little bit of what it was like when Robinson left for Baltimore.

coachw513
08-01-2008, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the deep blasts and great memories, Junior. I'm proud to have seen you play for the Cincinnati Reds for nearly a decade. Good luck in Chicago.

I'd like to note that clearly you need to attend many more Reds' games...seeing the Reds play over .500 ball for essentially 1/2 a season (80 games over 3 years) is a feat beyond comprehension :eek:...

Also, congrats on having the forsight to have kept all of those ticket stubs...what a unique form of memories...

Highlifeman21
08-01-2008, 12:09 AM
With Griffey accepting the trade, does this make him Cincinnati Reds Employee of the Week?

coachw513
08-01-2008, 12:17 AM
I still remember reading online that Griffey had been acquired from Seattle...and we didn't even have to give up Pokey Reese in the deal :D...I mean, we just lost in a "playoff game" with the Mets and we just added the best player in baseball whose father was a big part of the BRM...are you kidding me, happy times are back as a Reds fan, right???

It's truly a shame that the genuine frustration over a poorly run franchise ends up largely casting a spell over both the Griffey and Dunn eras in Cincy...

I still shudder at the string of injuries...it's funny, but I probably feel most disappointed when he hurt himself in '06 trying to snag Bonds' HR on Labor Day (IIRC)...to think of the historical legacy he STILL leaves on the game is quite remarkable when taken in the context of, "but what if..."...

I still marvel at the beauty of the man's swing...and thanks to the joy of Direct TV I'm glad to have been able to witness many incredible moments the past few years (realizing this thread has "Come to praise Ceasar")...

But I guess I'm more thankful that as my now 10 year old daughter got old enough 3 years ago to fall in love with her daddy's team that she picked KGJ as her favorite player and enjoyed rooting for him and the Reds together (including taking her to Miami to sit behind the Reds dugout the Sunday before he hit #600 for her first ML game)...we will both miss him...

Guess it's time for me to deal with listening to Ken Harrelson now :rolleyes:...now I'll pay attention to White Sox games along with Rangers games when the Reds aren't especially compelling ;)

Go Reds and Go ChiSox...

Ltlabner
08-01-2008, 09:14 AM
My "Jr Highlight" was the entire 2007 season.

For the first time, in a very long time, JR was healthy for almost the entire season (he broke down the last week or something?). He had a very productive season as a 37 year old with all the health issues and reconstructive surgeries.

More importantly, it looked like he was having fun and actually enjoying himself. It was a blast to see him play, but the entire 2007 is my biggest Jr. highlight.

We saw homer run #599, but seing Jr. happy on the baseball field was fitting tribute to a great man.

Nugget
08-01-2008, 09:38 AM
That's great - still shows REDSZONE has class - 34 posts and only one that you could class as negative.

The last home run was sweet - I think by then he already knew it was his last game - there wasn't the excitement about it - looked like he was saying goodbye to his teamates already.

KittyDuran
08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
34 posts and only one that you could class as negative.
Yeah, that was either mine or Edskin's...:p:

remdog
08-01-2008, 11:05 AM
When the Reds got Jr. in the trade I felt certain that both Jr. and the Reds would enjoy the sweet taste of a WS title. Alas, it was not to be.

I always enjoyed Jr.'s play and I'll always think of him as a classy guy that could have turned the spotlight on himself but, instead, chose to let his performance take center stage.

I'll miss ya' buddy. And I still hope ya' get that WS title.

Rem

George Anderson
08-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I am sad to see Griffey leave but also THRILLED to see that he has a chance to finally go to a WS!!

This post season I will be rooting hard for the Chisox!!

OldXOhio
08-01-2008, 11:17 AM
One of my all-time favorite Junior moments will always be the mid-June game in STL during the 2006 season. Reds are near the top of the standings, but down to the Cards in the 9th with Izzy on the hill throwing pretty hard and the crowd on its feet anticipating a win. Griffey just waits and waits for his pitch and then gets it in the form of a mid-high fastball and turns on it like only he can with his patented smooth swing and high finish. I remember coming out of my chair while watching the game b/c you knew immediately it was gone. Reds ended up winning the game 8-7 and at least for a brief while, make us think they could do something special.

Anyway, it was just something I'll always remember. It was a thing of beauty.

RedLegSuperStar
08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Junior has been my baseball idol growing up and all he had to do was turn his cap on backwards and smile and my day was filled with joy. I remember countless times going to my grandparents house on Opening Day when the Mariners would somehow usually be on ESPN and just ordering a pizza and watching my idol play baseball. I wanted to be him so much and invisioned growing up and one day playing beside him. He was a class act on and off the field and would always have time for a joke. His smile was uplifting and his swing is priceless. I don't know one little leaguer who didn't want to wear number 24 growing up, that was always the first number anyone wanted. I would trade any valuable baseball card I had just so I could get a Ken Griffey, Jr. card. One year for my birthday I got tickets to go to Detroit and watch the Mariners play the Tigers at Old Tiger Stadium. That was my first time ever watching Junior live. He went 0-4 but it was just amazing feeling watching him play. My mom had bought me a Griffey jersey prior to the trip and I had to wore that jersey 5 out of 7 days of the week.

On Thursday, Feburary 10th, 2000 when I heard at school that the Reds were about to land my baseball hero I went home and tuned into channel 9 and watched the press confrence and watched him put on the red prinstripe jersey and Reds cap and knew it was true... Junior is home. Yesterday though was a sad day because I wouldn't get to see him trot out on the field anymore at Great American Ballpark. Today is a new day however and i've relized that Griffey has always wanted a ring.. now he has a chance to get to that goal and I will be rooting for the White Sox come October.

I just want to thank the baseball gods for giving me 9 seasons of Griffey to watch as a Cincinnati Red.. Thank you!

WebScorpion
08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I feel blessed to have seen one of the greatest players to ever lace them up play the game he loved in the city he loved. Just watching his swing made me smile...it was (and still is) a thing of beauty. I still marvel at how he's managed to live his life in a respectable way through all the privilege and turmoil that is his life. He's not just a great ballplayer, but also a great father, a great humanitarian, and a great man. I'm going to miss him, but I hope this gets him the ring that he so richly deserves. In my eyes he's already a winner, he doesn't need a ring to prove that. He refused to compromise his principles to get to the top and was content to be the best he could be, whatever that was. I often refer to him, when explaining to my children that it really is about how you play the game (or how you live your life) not about whether you win or lose. As far as I'm concerned, Ken Griffey, Jr. is Cincinnati's 'favorite son' and I will always welcome him with an ovation for what he's done. God Bless You Ken! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy020.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy096.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy091.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

BuckeyeRedleg
08-01-2008, 12:33 PM
This whole Junior thing has hit me today. Yesterday, I was excited. I had no feelings about losing him. Today, I woke up, opened up the sports page and felt a sadness that I cannot explain. I wanted him out a long time ago and now that he is gone I already feel bad about it.

I know it's in the best interest of the future of the organization that he's moved on, but it doesn't change the fact that I feel like I've lost a relative or a good friend.

I remember like it was yesterday. It was my wife's 24th birthday the day he came home to Cincinnati. I couldn't contain myself. We were out to dinner at a very nice restaurant and I had to keep getting up to go to the bar to watch the coverage on ESPN. This was my wife's first dose of my obsession with Reds baseball. He was the Michael Jordan of baseball at that time. I had been lobbying for him to come home for years. I had even called Extra Innings the year before, and made my case to Tracy Jones. It just made sense. This was his home. He'd break the all-time HR record. He'd crush HR's over the new stadium's short RF fence. The stadium was made for him. I imagined all the future nights the world would convene on our proud franchise with pictures going off on every pitch until Junior would whack #400, #500, #600, #700, and even #800. Even if we weren't competing in a given year, we'd still have Junior and his chase to break Aaron's record. We'd draw 30,000-40,000 every night just to see him. The stadium would be electric. It would be like St. Louis with McGwire's chase of 61.

And then the injuries came. One by one by one. Each one killed a little bit of the dream. It might have been more tolerable for him (and for us) if the team was winning, but other than the first year the team did not win. Management failed to compliment him and his young sluggers with competent pitching. It was one thing that his body was beginning to fail him. It was another that the organization that he took a chance on failed him as well.

Through all the heartache, we did get to watch him hit #400, #500 and #600 in a Reds uniform, but even that couldn't be perfect as it's was always in another team's stadium. The last being in an almost empty Florida stadium. It was strange like that. With every good moment came a catch. The dream just didn't seem meant to be.

It's sad the way it ended. The last week all of the frustrations finally seemed to boil over in a climax. It was like it was meant to be that this was the last week. The dream that had turned into a nightmare was almost over.

And then he homered in his last game with the Reds, but even with that came with a catch as it wasn't where it should have been (Cincinnati), but in Houston.

Who knows, maybe the dream can still happen, but in another way. Maybe it was just all too forced to be perfect. So many things in life are more appreciated when there is no expectation. Maybe Junior comes home in a year or two and adds a bat off the bench. Maybe it can coincide with the Reds finally getting back to where this once proud franchise should be -the top. And maybe Junior will someday realize that dream of winning a title with his hometown team. He just won't be in the spotlight. But maybe that's the way it was supposed to be all along.

One can dream.

Matt700wlw
08-01-2008, 01:35 PM
The large banner celebrating his 600th HR remains up at GABP, with a little addition....a "THANK YOU, JUNIOR" in black letters....

My rather vague description probably doesn't do it justice :)

KittyDuran
08-01-2008, 02:25 PM
This whole Junior thing has hit me today. Yesterday, I was excited. I had no feelings about losing him. Today, I woke up, opened up the sports page and felt a sadness that I cannot explain. I wanted him out a long time ago and now that he is gone I already feel bad about it.

I know it's in the best interest of the future of the organization that he's moved on, but it doesn't change the fact that I feel like I've lost a relative or a good friend.

I remember like it was yesterday. It was my wife's 24th birthday the day he came home to Cincinnati. I couldn't contain myself. We were out to dinner at a very nice restaurant and I had to keep getting up to go to the bar to watch the coverage on ESPN. This was my wife's first dose of my obsession with Reds baseball. He was the Michael Jordan of baseball at that time. I had been lobbying for him to come home for years. I had even called Extra Innings the year before, and made my case to Tracy Jones. It just made sense. This was his home. He'd break the all-time HR record. He'd crush HR's over the new stadium's short RF fence. The stadium was made for him. I imagined all the future nights the world would convene on our proud franchise with pictures going off on every pitch until Junior would whack #400, #500, #600, #700, and even #800. Even if we weren't competing in a given year, we'd still have Junior and his chase to break Aaron's record. We'd draw 30,000-40,000 every night just to see him. The stadium would be electric. It would be like St. Louis with McGwire's chase of 61.

And then the injuries came. One by one by one. Each one killed a little bit of the dream. It might have been more tolerable for him (and for us) if the team was winning, but other than the first year the team did not win. Management failed to compliment him and his young sluggers with competent pitching. It was one thing that his body was beginning to fail him. It was another that the organization that he took a chance on failed him as well.

Through all the heartache, we did get to watch him hit #400, #500 and #600 in a Reds uniform, but even that couldn't be perfect as it's was always in another team's stadium. The last being in an almost empty Florida stadium. It was strange like that. With every good moment came a catch. The dream just didn't seem meant to be.

It's sad the way it ended. The last week all of the frustrations finally seemed to boil over in a climax. It was like it was meant to be that this was the last week. The dream that had turned into a nightmare was almost over.

And then he homered in his last game with the Reds, but even with that came with a catch as it wasn't where it should have been (Cincinnati), but in Houston.

Who knows, maybe the dream can still happen, but in another way. Maybe it was just all too forced to be perfect. So many things in life are more appreciated when there is no expectation. Maybe Junior comes home in a year or two and adds a bat off the bench. Maybe it can coincide with the Reds finally getting back to where this once proud franchise should be -the top. And maybe Junior will someday realize that dream of winning a title with his hometown team. He just won't be in the spotlight. But maybe that's the way it was supposed to be all along.

One can dream.I :luvu: this... Thanks!

KittyDuran
08-01-2008, 04:01 PM
The large banner celebrating his 600th HR remains up at GABP, with a little addition....a "THANK YOU, JUNIOR" in black letters....

My rather vague description probably doesn't do it justice :)
From Lance's blog...

http://images.onesite.com/thelotd.com/user/lance/thank-you-jr.jpg

reds44
08-01-2008, 04:07 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2004/0614_large.jpg
I have that hanging in my room, along with his #500 picture. They aren't coming down anytime soon. Griffey was the reason I became a Reds fan, and for that I am forever greatful.

reds44
08-01-2008, 04:10 PM

One can dream.
I seriously got tears in my eyes reading that.

WVRedsFan
08-01-2008, 04:16 PM
From Lance's blog...

I'm still not doing very well with this, but that is classy. I wonder if any other player who was traded away in the twilight of his career was given a public expression of thanks?

Excellent.

Spring~Fields
08-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Ken Griffey Sr. told son it was time to move on
Griffey Sr. tells son it's time to go for ring

By Hal McCoy | Dayton Daily News
August 1, 2008

CINCINNATI - Father knows best, and Ken Griffey Sr. knew it was time for his son to move on from the Reds.

The elder Griffey, who works for the Reds as a scout, said Junior called him at 2 a.m. Thursday to tell him he had been traded to the White Sox and that the Reds needed his approval. He wanted advice.

"I told him he had a great eight-year run in Cincinnati, nothing to apologize for," Senior said. "With the injuries, it was amazing he reached 600 homers. A great accomplishment. I told him the only thing he didn't have was the ring and that he should go for it. The White Sox have a chance to get him that ring."

Senior said Junior said softly, "OK, Dad. Thanks."

The elder Griffey said people don't know some of the things his son has gone through.

How about death threats during Griffey's first three years in Cincinnati?

"When Seattle wanted to trade him, Cincinnati was the only team to which he wanted to go," Griffey said. "He received threats to kill his family, kidnap his kids. When his family didn't show up at games on time, to start the game, I could see his demeanor change. He didn't care about the game. You could see it in his face. He wasn't the same until his family showed up at the game.

"That's why he never wanted pictures taken of (wife) Melissa or the kids, and can you blame him?"

And the injuries?

"People have no idea what he went through in his career," Griffey said. "The first time he broke his hand in Seattle, it was bad, man. I thought he might miss two years. They put a plate in his hand and he was back in six weeks. Then a screw came loose in the plate and he screwed it back in himself."

Then there were all the injuries with the Reds.

"I'm proud of what he did and he doesn't owe anybody anything," he said. "There is no doubt in my mind that without the injuries he would be right there with Barry Bonds right now in home runs. No doubt."

Senior said he could see the trade coming, "Because I know the direction of the team and I can see in the minors what's coming up."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-01-griffey-briteaug01,0,889980.story

Matt700wlw
08-01-2008, 04:29 PM
From Lance's blog...

That's better :)

KittyDuran
08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm still not doing very well with this, but that is classy. I wonder if any other player who was traded away in the twilight of his career was given a public expression of thanks?

Excellent.I've been a fan since 1969 - I can't remember of any...

RichRed
08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
As a kid, I rooted for Ken Griffey Senior and as an adult, I've rooted for Ken Griffey Junior. It's the end of an era. I wish Junior nothing but the best, including an injury-free rest of '08 culminating in a World Series championship.

How about a Game 7 walk-off homer against the Cubs? Who's with me?

Chip R
08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
I've been a fan since 1969 - I can't remember of any...

Yeah. Usually these guys are traded and get a nice ovation the next time they come into town. A lot of the time it ends ugly since the player thinks he can still play and the team doesn't.

redsmetz
08-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I haven't read this thread all the way through, but Griffey being with the Reds (aside from the hometown team thing) is similar for me to Tom Seaver having been with the Reds (four five pretty decent seasons). I still pinch myself remembering that Tom Terrific pitched for us during some of his prime. It's the same for Griffey and had it not been for the injuries, this would have been a wonderful match. Not the majority of it, but a decent part of his career was in a Reds uniform. And 200+ home runs as a Red isn't shabby.

Cyclone792
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
FYI, just grabbed this White Sox lineup tonight off their forums at WSI:

Cabrera ss
Pierzynski c
Quentin lf
Dye rf
Thome dh
Ramirez 2b
Griffey cf
Swisher 1b
Uribe 3b

Vazquez p

Griffey is wearing #17 tonight and switching to #30 tomorrow.

Degenerate39
08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
NO respect for Junior in Chicago :D Bat him 3rd like he's suppose to!

Spring~Fields
08-01-2008, 05:56 PM
NO respect for Junior in Chicago :D Bat him 3rd like he's suppose to!

Dusty doesn't manage the White Sox.

I don't think that was Junior fault, no more than Patterson leading off is Patterson’s.

Lineups are the managers duties, and responsibility, his prerogative and domain.

CF
SS
Respect
Free Swinger
OBP
OBP
OBP

reds44
08-01-2008, 06:20 PM
FYI, just grabbed this White Sox lineup tonight off their forums at WSI:

Cabrera ss
Pierzynski c
Quentin lf
Dye rf
Thome dh
Ramirez 2b
Griffey cf
Swisher 1b
Uribe 3b

Vazquez p

Griffey is wearing #17 tonight and switching to #30 tomorrow.
On his press conference he said he was staying with #17.

Nugget
08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
The Jersey number doesn't mean much to Junior - he changed to 3 here because of his kids - he wore a different number in Seattle - #3 is retired in Chicago and Swisher has #30. He puts on the uniform and plays ball - batting #7 and playing center.

Degenerate39
08-01-2008, 07:06 PM
If Griffey was playing Centerfield for Dusty then he would've been the leadoff hitter. Wouldn't be as bad as C.Patt but still would be pretty bad.

westofyou
08-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I've been a fan since 1969 - I can't remember of any...

Dale Murphy

KittyDuran
08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Dale MurphyOops... :redface:I went back and looked at the original post by WV - I thought he meant Reds player.

SunDeck
08-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I was pretty stoked when Jr. said he wanted to come to the Reds, even though I knew it was really not the best move for the club. I always thought that once he said he wanted to come home for a below market price, the Reds had little choice but to make the deal happen because you just don't turn down one of the greatest talents ever to play the game. However, even his "low" price, a substantial bargain for a team that could really afford it, was still too high for the Reds. As it turned out, Jr. (and Barry) ate up too high a portion of their overall payroll which hurt them dearly. So, happy as I was to have one of the greatest ballplayers of all time on the Reds, I just never felt it was the right thing for the club.

Having said that, I feel lucky to have watched him play. There is no purer swing in the game, and even though his speed and range were quickly compromised after he became a Red, I have never watched a center fielder with a better instinctual feel for the game. He made subtle adjustments on individual pitches, while Dunn stood there like a statue. If you sat in the outfield you could hear him instructing his teammates constantly. He was in motion on every ball hit, and he did so sooner than the other outfielders and sometimes even sooner than infielders; it was just part of what he was, a perfect baseball player. Nothing about the game gets me excited more than seeing a man play the game with as much mastery as Jr. did and will miss that sincerely.

And I am rooting for him to drive in 50 runs between now and the playoffs and for the White Sox to win the World Series. Lastly, I am so happy he didn't end up with the Yankees, the Dodgers or the Red Sox. It would hurt to root against him.

OldXOhio
08-02-2008, 12:44 PM
The Jersey number doesn't mean much to Junior - he changed to 3 here because of his kids - he wore a different number in Seattle - #3 is retired in Chicago and Swisher has #30. He puts on the uniform and plays ball - batting #7 and playing center.

Not so sure about that. Perhaps he's mellowed with age, but if memory serves, there's was some flap about his desire to wear #24 when he first came to town, yes?

NJReds
08-02-2008, 12:54 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080802/capt.0d5d3d16989c407383b2d06bbcbff13d.white_sox_ro yals_baseball_mocr108.jpg

Matt700wlw
08-02-2008, 12:56 PM
It looks a bit strange, but most things do when it changes after 9 years...Manny didn't exactly look right in Dodger blue...but he looked normal when he lollygagged after a ball that was headed to the wall...WITH RUNNER ON BASE.