PDA

View Full Version : Manny to LA, Jason Bay to Boston

WVRed
07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
for Reid Brignac and Jeff Niemann.

Good trade for both teams. A lot better than the Nady/Marte trade.

Ltlabner
07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Pittsburg selling like madmen.

joshnky
07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
This seems to close up shop on Dunn. Hopefully the Reds insistence on top prospects means that they intend on resigning him.

Chip R
07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Now if they could get rid of Jack Wilson, maybe the Reds could beat them every once in a while.

RedsManRick
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
I wonder if this package was offered for Dunn.

Ltlabner
Heck, lets go after Matt Caps while the getting is good.

KoryMac5
Tampa had been saying that Brignac was off the table, must be they changed their minds. Niemann will fit right in, another pitcher with arm trouble for the Bucs.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Pirates settle for fodder again. I think Brignac is way overrated and Neimann isn't all that good when he is healthy.

blumj
07-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Actually, Jason Bay was traded to Boston, through LA, for Andy LaRoche, Bryan Morris, Brandon Moss, and Craig Hansen. The Dodgers get Manny Ramirez and the money to pay him.

RedsBaron
07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Rats. I was really hoping Boston would take up Manny's suggestion to trade him to the Packers for Favre. ;)

blumj
07-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Rats. I was really hoping Boston would take up Manny's suggestion to trade him to the Packers for Favre. ;)
Left field at Fenway Park would be a HUGE waste of Favre's arm.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Seems like a pretty solid deal for the Buccos at first glance

Homer Bailey
07-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Jason Bay to the AL! Good news for the Reds!

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
The Pirates received a solid package IMO. Brandon Moss looks like he could be an average to slight above average outfielder. Bryan Morris has a power arm. Craig Hansen has closer type stuff and is ready to step into the Pirate bullpen right now, and the biggest gem is Andy LaRoche who projects to be a very good major league third baseman. The Pirates have some nice looking hitters to build around with Nate McLouth, Andrew McCutchen, Brandon Moss, Andy LaRoche, Pedro Alvarez, and Ryan Doumit. Now they need to find some pitching somewhere...

jojo
07-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Actually, Jason Bay was traded to Boston, through LA, for Andy LaRoche, Bryan Morris, Brandon Moss, and Craig Hansen. The Dodgers get Manny Ramirez and the money to pay him.

Ya, Id say Tampa got really screwed on the original summation of the deal in this thread..... :cool:

M2
07-31-2008, 11:03 PM
No fair, Pittsburgh now has all the LaRoches. The Reds need to respond by acquiring Scott Hairston.

MWM
07-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Maybe someone can help me understand exactly what the Red Sox organization did to Manny that made him so disgruntled.

Crosley68
07-31-2008, 11:47 PM
The most important queston is........how old is the Dodgers' traveling secretary and can Manny take him?

KronoRed
07-31-2008, 11:55 PM
Maybe someone can help me understand exactly what the Red Sox organization did to Manny that made him so disgruntled.

Dared not pick up his 20million dollar option and ignore the mounting evidence that he is getting older and getting worse.

Jerks.

Gainesville Red
07-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Dared not pick up his 20million dollar option and ignore the mounting evidence that he is getting older and getting worse.

Jerks.

They got some nerve trying to pull a stunt like that.

Cedric
08-01-2008, 12:07 AM
If Manny is getting worse it's a rate something EVERY player would love to decline at. How many RH bats are putting up a .930 OPS without even trying?

Not even mentioning how his presence changes a whole lineup. The Dodgers gave up nothing for Manny freaking Ramirez. If I were a Dodgers fan I would be incredibly pleased with today.

M2
08-01-2008, 12:08 AM

They disrespected him by not picking up his $20M option. Oddly he may prove to be worth it (he's earned every penny of his contract so far despite dire warnings that it would bite the franchise in the butt before it was over), but it was all about the money.

Manny also made the current regime in Boston nervous. They tried to get rid of him in the past and I suspect they had no intention of bringing him back ... and I suspect he knew that.

Manny's a prima donna, one of the most difficult humans on the planet. Yet he's a mass of bad personality traits that can help you win a World Series because he can hit like few people in the game's history. It really became a question of whether he was going to decide his time with the Sox was over before the season ended.

blumj
08-01-2008, 12:44 AM
He didn't even want the option picked up, he wanted them to give up their right to exercise it. That was the only condition he put on waiving his no trade clause today.

WVRed
08-01-2008, 12:49 AM
This move really made no sense from the Pirates standpoint. They are getting more prospects for Bay, granted. LaRoche adds to a 3B logjam including Pedro Alvarez and Neil Walker.

I would have taken the Tampa deal and built around Brignac and Alvarez for the left side of the infield.

Considering the Dodgers picked up Casey Blake, its not like they needed Andy LaRoche. LA made out in the deal assuming Manny decides to show up and play ball everyday.

OnBaseMachine
08-01-2008, 01:41 AM
This move really made no sense from the Pirates standpoint. They are getting more prospects for Bay, granted. LaRoche adds to a 3B logjam including Pedro Alvarez and Neil Walker.

I would have taken the Tampa deal and built around Brignac and Alvarez for the left side of the infield.

Considering the Dodgers picked up Casey Blake, its not like they needed Andy LaRoche. LA made out in the deal assuming Manny decides to show up and play ball everyday.

Neil Walker isn't very good, and Alvarez isn't exactly a gold glover at third base and some have said his he'll probably move to first base anyways. I like this package better than the Rays offer.

blumj
08-01-2008, 02:09 AM
That might not even have been the Rays real offer. I read somewhere that the reason that deal didn't get done was because they weren't willing to include Brignac. The media always manages to mess up at least one thing really badly on deadline day.

jmcclain19
08-01-2008, 04:54 AM
The Rays may have cost themselves that key piece of what could have been their first playoff shot ever.

Not only did they not land an impact bat, but their rival for the spot picked one up instead.

Holding up the Bay trade for an overrated SS who hasn't sniffed the majors yet wasn't exactly a bright idea and 20ish OFs who throw up 900OPS numbers every year don't exactly grow on trees.

I hope Tampa doesn't go the way of Anaheim - holding those highly touted prospects so tight that even when the scent of a Series title is close they refuse to give in. Then the prospect shine gets lost eventually and reality sets in.

Some of those vaunted prospects are going to turn into some lemons. Guaranteed. Something to think about Tampa.

M2
08-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Some of those vaunted prospects are going to turn into some lemons. Guaranteed. Something to think about Tampa.

And Reid Brignac and Jeff Neimann might top that list.

Jpup
08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
The Rays may have cost themselves that key piece of what could have been their first playoff shot ever.

Not only did they not land an impact bat, but their rival for the spot picked one up instead.

Holding up the Bay trade for an overrated SS who hasn't sniffed the majors yet wasn't exactly a bright idea and 20ish OFs who throw up 900OPS numbers every year don't exactly grow on trees.

I hope Tampa doesn't go the way of Anaheim - holding those highly touted prospects so tight that even when the scent of a Series title is close they refuse to give in. Then the prospect shine gets lost eventually and reality sets in.

The Angels have one ring and are working on another. Casey Kotchman got them Texeira, that's a nice haul. They also can't help they are in the same league as Boston. The Rays ain't gotta shot at the playoffs IMO.

GAC
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM

You don't have to "do" anything to get Manny to whine. The Dodgers will find that out.

Manny is running out of teams that can afford to sign him. He better cool out. ;)

IslandRed
08-01-2008, 08:49 PM

I might be inadvertently stealing someone's comment, but I don't think the deal made Boston better so much as it protected them from getting worse in the event of Manny invoking Operation Shutdown.

Anyway, Tampa still has a chance to do something, although the fishing pond just got smaller. They may be inclined to see if Baldelli can help them first.

OnBaseMachine
08-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Manny is wearing #99 with the Dodgers. That may be the first time I've seen a baseball player wear #99.

He's also going to cut his hair.

IslandRed
08-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Interesting to hear the story about several Red Sox veterans -- guys who should understand Ramirez' value to the club as well as anyone -- going to Epstein and cordially inviting him to let Manny Be Manny somewhere else. Guess they'd had enough of the drama and the dogging it.

Big Klu
08-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Manny is wearing #99 with the Dodgers. That may be the first time I've seen a baseball player wear #99.

He's also going to cut his hair.

Former #99's (off the top of my head):
Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams with the Phillies
So Taguchi with the Cardinals (I don't know if he is also wearing it with the Phils)

Is the haircut a team rule? The Dodgers have always struck me as a very businesslike organization in appearance, like the Yankees (and once upon a time, the Reds).

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams with the Phillies
So Taguchi with the Cardinals (I don't know if he is also wearing it with the Phils)

Is the haircut a team rule? The Dodgers have always struck me as a very businesslike organization in appearance, like the Yankees (and once upon a time, the Reds).

It's a Joe Torre rule.

Big Klu
08-02-2008, 01:32 AM
It's a Joe Torre rule.

Then I'm liking Joe Torre more and more every day. :thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I was watching the highlights of the Dodgers-DBacks game tonight and it already appears Manny is still the same Manny despite having a new team. Mark Reynolds hit a ball into the left center gap and Manny merely jogged for the ball and turned a double into a triple. I wonder how long it will be before the Dodgers are tired of his antics? Dude is one of the greatest hitters of all-time but he's also among the dumbest.

blumj
08-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Jason Bay's Red Sox career has gotten off to a nice start. He got a standing ovation before his 1st PA, got on base 4 times, and scored both runs in a 2-1 win in 12 innings.

OnBaseMachine
08-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Manny and Bay each homered today to lead their new teams to wins.