PDA

View Full Version : Question marks.

dfs
08-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Do you resign Adam Dunn?

Do you believe in Jerry Hairston Jr?

Do you believe in Jeff Keppinger?

Do you believe in David Ross ?

I think those are the relevant questions for the near future of the team.

I'm supposing Ryan Freel and Norris Hopper are done.

Bruce, Votto, Edwin, Phillips all seem to be locks.

They've got enough pitching talent that they should be able to cobble together a rotation. More depth would be nice, but between Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Maloney et all, they should be able to got 140 decent starts next year.

Burton, Bray Coco...they should be able to fashion a bullpen out of what's on the 40 man roster with a few spring training invites.

So shaping next year's team, really seems to involve four questions.

I sign Dunn.

I think the lesson of Freel is that you can find players like that on the scrap heap, not that you pay them once they have had a good year. So, no I'm not a big believer in the other three. I don't think you hold starting slots for talent like that. Now, I wouldn't mind having Keppinger or Hairston on the bench and if Ross is my second catcher, I can live with that.

If I believe that Alex Gonzales is going to be my shortstop, I need a catcher for next season as well as a centerfielder. I should also be on the lookout for an underappreciated minor league guy to be next year's Freel/Keppinger.

WVRedsFan
08-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Do you resign Adam Dunn?
Yes

Do you believe in Jerry Hairston Jr?
No

Do you believe in Jeff Keppinger?
No

Do you believe in David Ross ?
No

I'm supposing Ryan Freel and Norris Hopper are done.
They never were--just flash with 30 RBI's together. Only thing they did was influence many that they worked hard and hustled with little results.

Bruce, Votto, Edwin, Phillips all seem to be locks.
Yep.

They've got enough pitching talent that they should be able to cobble together a rotation. More depth would be nice, but between Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Maloney et all, they should be able to got 140 decent starts next year.
Except that Bailey and Maloney are big questionmarks. And then there's Arroyo. Lots of questions here but I agree on the bullpen.

I think the lesson of Freel is that you can find players like that on the scrap heap, not that you pay them once they have had a good year. So, no I'm not a big believer in the other three. I don't think you hold starting slots for talent like that. Now, I wouldn't mind having Keppinger or Hairston on the bench and if Ross is my second catcher, I can live with that.
:clap:

If I believe that Alex Gonzales is going to be my shortstop, I need a catcher for next season as well as a centerfielder. I should also be on the lookout for an underappreciated minor league guy to be next year's Freel/Keppinger.
You need a shortstop and a catcher. I really feel Gonzo will be gone next year. Ross will return mainly because you need 2 catchers--WJ will sign another or trade for one.

buckeyenut
08-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Personally, I resign Dunn. No brainer to me.

Hairston can stick around, but I don't plan on him being more than a backup and as such, 1M is the max I will go. Would be willing to do 2 years of that. If he surprises me with more contribution, so be it.

Keppinger, I think he has the bat to make an impact. But I'd leave that question to my scouts as I have not seen enough of him to tell if last year was luck or if this year is injury. I much prefer him in a utility role rather than as everyday SS. That is his impact role, just like that was Freel's impact role.

I would much rather David Ross start every day with Bako or preferrably Hannigan spelling him every 4th or 5th day. I don't want to see Valentin back on this team next year. I have never understood what he brings to the table. I would prefer a better catcher, but think that Ross actually isn't that far below average.

I do think we need a viable defensive SS. I also think we need a viable defensive CF with a reasonable bat and a #2/#3 type SP, two if we were to move Arroyo. I think we can fill the fifth spot with Maloney/Bailey/etc. but not more than one spot.

My personal priority for this offseason would be SS, SP, CF, C, SP, MR and I could live with it if we could take care of top three without major downgrades elsewhere.