PDA

View Full Version : Nationals release Felipe Lopez and Paul LoDuca

mbgrayson
08-01-2008, 12:48 AM
And we still have Bray, Thompson, and Majewski....lol

Source: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2008/07/breaking_news_lo_duca_lopez_re.html

Degenerate39
08-01-2008, 12:56 AM
I'd sign Lopez for cheap and use him on the bench. He couldn't be as bad as Patterson. Could he?

Matt700wlw
08-01-2008, 12:59 AM
I'd sign Lopez for cheap and use him on the bench. He couldn't be as bad as Patterson. Could he?

I don't think that's possible

westofyou
08-01-2008, 01:00 AM
I'd sign Lopez for cheap and use him on the bench.As what?

Ballast?

He couldn't be as bad as Patterson. Could he?

At age 28 he just got cut by the worst team in MLB, they said they were going to go "younger".

He's 28.... so I'd say yes he could be worse.. mostly because Patterson is still a guy with a great glove when he steps on the field and Lopez is fast becoming Willie Greene or Chris Brown.

jmcclain19
08-01-2008, 04:59 AM
What a mighty fall from grace - for both players.

For LoDuca that's an easy answer - no more access to the juice.

But Lopez - one above average year does not a career make. And I was the biggest Lopez fan out there. Sad to see - he was an All Star just three years ago.

Just have to wonder what happened to him. The GABP pick me up gave him a nice .100 point in slugging that apparently masked other issues.

Lopez at 28 will still get another shot (or four) but Lo Duca is likely done.

wally post
08-01-2008, 05:53 AM
After reading the posted comments on that link (after the article), I have new found sympathy for Nats fans.

cumberlandreds
08-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Kearns and WMP may not be too far behind Lopez. Neither have done squat in DC and the Nats just need to build their farm system to hope to ever compete again.

M2
08-01-2008, 08:07 AM
For LoDuca that's an easy answer - no more access to the juice

Actually, I think it might be the same answer for Lopez too. He had power through 2005.

princeton
08-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Kearns and WMP may not be too far behind Lopez.

Kearns is a tragedy, really. What a 21 year old ballplayer he was.

it wouldn't shock to see him back in Cincy one of these days. He'll probably be bouncing around a lot.

redsmetz
08-01-2008, 08:32 AM
How long before Jim Bowden is shown the door? For all the joking we have done about him collecting former Reds, is he really the GM that the Nationals want to move them forward? His shenanigans here aside, it doesn't seem to me that he's done a good job of advancing the Nationals.

oneupper
08-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Kearns and WMP may not be too far behind Lopez. Neither have done squat in DC and the Nats just need to build their farm system to hope to ever compete again.

Kearns is still owed money for 2009, $8 million. (Option for 2010 - $10 million with $1 million buyout). He'll be taking up roster space unless the Nats pay someone to take him.

Wily Mo has a "mutual" option for 2009. $2 million if Peņa picks it up or $5 if the Nats do. You could call it a buyout (Peņa picks up option, team releases him).

princeton
08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Kearns is still owed money for 2009, $8 million. (Option for 2010 - $10 million with $1 million buyout). He'll be taking up roster space unless the Nats pay someone to take him.

I'm shocked that JimBo waited a year too long to trade an OFer. We never saw that in Cincy :rolleyes:

Jpup
08-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I'll take Kearns back. I don't know that he's worth 8 million though. It's a decent risk to find out.

Chip R
08-01-2008, 11:31 AM
I'll take Kearns back.

To do what?

BuckeyeRedleg
08-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I admit. I was wrong about Lopez. I thought he was going to be a star and was more upset losing him than Kearns in "The Trade".

Boy, was I wrong.

KronoRed
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
To do what?

Beat up Patterson? :D

coachw513
08-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I admit. I was wrong about Lopez. I thought he was going to be a star and was more upset losing him than Kearns in "The Trade".

Boy, was I wrong.

Never has more angst, vitriol and reflection occured over something so remarkably trivial and inconsequential...

I too am amazed that Kearns and Lopez bottomed out to the level at which they did...

And in the form of all good RZ threads I now steer towards a Dunn thought... does the fact that Kearns (and WMP for that matter) have failed to produce out of GABP influence how Dunn is perceived elsewhere in baseball??...we are all close enough to understand his power plays anywhere, but maybe others aren't so aware??

Jpup
08-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Never has more angst, vitriol and reflection occured over something so remarkably trivial and inconsequential...

I too am amazed that Kearns and Lopez bottomed out to the level at which they did...

And in the form of all good RZ threads I now steer towards a Dunn thought... does the fact that Kearns (and WMP for that matter) have failed to produce out of GABP influence how Dunn is perceived elsewhere in baseball??...we are all close enough to understand his power plays anywhere, but maybe others aren't so aware??

Dunn could hit at the Grand Canyon.

Tom Servo
08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Rotoworld seems to think we could have interest in Lo Duca. I don't see it.

BRM
08-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Lopez has signed with the Cardinals.

Cyclone792
08-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Lopez has signed with the Cardinals.

Like all Cardinal hitters, Lopez will get a dose of the St. Louis system and it wouldn't shock me if they teach him to light Reds pitching up for the next five years.

BRM
08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
From La Russa:

"[Lopez] can play some outfield, play some second, short, he can also play third base. We'll see when he gets here."

Chip R
08-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Like all Cardinal hitters, Lopez will get a dose of the St. Louis system and it wouldn't shock me if they teach him to light Reds pitching up for the next five years.

Me either. Although I can't see how he would stick around with the Cards if he couldn't stick with the Nats.

flyer85
08-06-2008, 09:47 AM
I honestly think that trying to adjust to a HUGE ballpark can really mess up certain hitters(type with just decent power). They go to a park like RFK and realize it is impossible to hit HRs unless they pull the ball hard and it can get in their head and mess up their swing. The new Gnats ballpark is a big sucker as well.

registerthis
08-06-2008, 09:57 AM
The new Gnats ballpark is a big sucker as well.

Nothing like RFK though. RFK was a canyon masquerading as a ballpark.

Really makes you appreciate the number of HRs Frank Howard hit there.

flyer85
08-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Nothing like RFK though. RFK was a canyon masquerading as a ballpark.

Really makes you appreciate the number of HRs Frank Howard hit there.Howard was like Dunn, their power plays in any ballpark. The mashers HR totals are not nearly as dependent on their home park as guys who have just average power or slightly better.

RedlegJake
08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I'll take Kearns back. I don't know that he's worth 8 million though. It's a decent risk to find out.

Not worth $8 million to look. I'd like to have him back, too, for a flyer but at the league minimum. I'd imagine a lot of GMs would be interested then.

Blimpie
08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Kearns is a tragedy, really. What a 21 year old ballplayer he was.Value of Austin Kearns = OPS x (Column Inches of Hype - Actual Potential) / % Body Fat of Ray King

Chip R
08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Value of Austin Kearns = OPS x (Column Inches of Hype - Actual Potential) / % Body Fat of Ray King

Funny. :lol:

princeton
08-06-2008, 10:32 AM

I don't know about Cards in particular, but I do think that it's good to pick up a utility player at the instant that he realizes that he really is only a utility player. those guys often start to give you good play

Spring~Fields
08-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Me either. Although I can't see how he would stick around with the Cards if he couldn't stick with the Nats.

They will probably convert him to a pitcher and he will win 13 games by August 6 posting an ERA of 3.73 ;)