PDA

View Full Version : Comp picks for griffey

BoilerBC11
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I couldn't find anything in the Griffey thread, so I'll ask here...

Would we have gotten comp picks for griffey if he would have walked after this season?

thorn
08-01-2008, 11:26 AM
They would of had to offer him arbitration and he refuse the offer before we would get any picks, same with Dunn. Considering the market for Griffey, he might have taken the offer, it's a gamble, one the Reds probably are not willing to take.

Blue
08-01-2008, 06:38 PM
No. He's not good enough any more.

08-01-2008, 07:10 PM
No. He's not good enough any more.

No one knows for sure, as the classifications won't be out until the end of the year, but since it is based on the last three years, I am pretty sure he would be a Class A Free Agent, and at the very worst, a Class B Free Agent. Either one gets draft picks. And even if it was just based on this year, he would easily be a Class B Free Agent.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-01-2008, 07:12 PM
They would of had to offer him arbitration and he refuse the offer before we would get any picks, same with Dunn. Considering the market for Griffey, he might have taken the offer, it's a gamble, one the Reds probably are not willing to take.

Yeah especially considering he likely wouldn't have drawn a top comp pick. It would have been some mid range pick, and the Reds would have ended up likely picking up a guy who has a double A ceiling, like most of the draft picks in that range. Is that worth the $4 mil and couple of prospects we got back? Or worth the $4 mil remaining on his contract this year if we kept him? In other words, paying $4 mil for a sandwich pick that wouldn't have been first round anyway, is a stupid move.