PDA

View Full Version : Dunn talks about the trade

Btrester151
08-01-2008, 12:16 PM
per john fays blog

-Does he feel like this is his team now, as the longest-tenured Red? "I never felt like it wasn't my team."-

Thats the only part of that interview that I feel the need to post. For all the flack that Dunn gets for lack of leadership, this is the first time I have heard him say somthing like this.

This could be the changing of an attitude with this team. Heres to signing Dunn to a 3 year 46 Million deal with a 4th year team option for 16 million or a 4 million dollar buy out.

ChatterRed
08-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I'd be pretty happy if they announced a 4 year deal for Dunner. I wavered on him in the offseason, but I'm convinced we need him now, even with his fielding struggles. You know what you get with him at the plate, and I also think he should have been hitting 3rd or 4th all these years considering how much he gets on base.

Also, make a lineup without him in it, and you might begin to agree with me.

But I also think they should sign a big RH bat to hit behind him and protect him. That is part of the problem. Dunn rarely sees anything to hit. If they don't, it will be Griffey all over again. They can't just sign Dunn and sit tight. They need to go all out.

Teixiera or Holliday!!!! Woo-hoo!!!! ;)

Ghosts of 1990
08-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Dunn is the man and he's right. He's the best player on this team by far.

44Magnum
08-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I say let him walk. It's time to start over!

44Magnum
08-01-2008, 01:18 PM

Total exaggeration!

Manut Bol
08-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Brandon Phillips? Edison Volquez?

Fil3232
08-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Amen. Lock him up.

BigRedSmokey
08-01-2008, 01:55 PM
The heat and attention on Dunn has just increased exponentially, we will see how he feels about it being "his" team at the end of the year, especially if he goes through a prolonged slump.

JR+Rose=G.O.A.T
08-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Now with griffey gone whom i love! sign dunner and let him take the rains i think he could lead the team ,which he couldn't do with griff here! he could not tell a 1ST ballot HOFer what to do, plus he is showing us he is a beast right now ! I would like to see him get better in the field ,but his offense is worth it especally if we could play the astros everyday lol

Maldez
08-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I can't ever remember a player I was more dramatically hot and cold on than Adam Dunn. He'll look like the second coming of Babe Ruth for stretches of time, only to be followed by a month I wouldn't want him on my wiffle-ball team. Just a flailing boob desparate to make any kind of contact.

Dunn was smokin' hot in July so, naturally, I've jumped back on his bandwagon. We need that big bat of his! Bruce seems a year away from getting settled in a role where he'll contribute consistently, so let's hitch our wagon to our big horse and see how far he can drag it.

UK Reds Fan
08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
But I also think they should sign a big RH bat to hit behind him and protect him. That is part of the problem. Dunn rarely sees anything to hit. If they don't, it will be Griffey all over again. They can't just sign Dunn and sit tight. They need to go all out.

Teixiera or Holliday!!!! Woo-hoo!!!! ;)

Isn't EE enough protection...30 plus homer season with an OPS above 800. It isn't Manny Rameriz level of protection....but it isn't that bad either.

Sink the money into pitching, pitching and pitching and then lets see if we can finallly contend.

dthomas24
08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=Maldez;1708205]I can't ever remember a player I was more dramatically hot and cold on than Adam Dunn.[QUOTE]

That's funny because I am the same way! I could come up with a million reasons to sign him long term and I could come up with a million to let him walk.

Ghosts of 1990
08-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Isn't EE enough protection...30 plus homer season with an OPS above 800. It isn't Manny Rameriz level of protection....but it isn't that bad either.

Sink the money into pitching, pitching and pitching and then lets see if we can finallly contend.

EE hasn't hit 30 HR yet

Chi-Town Red
08-02-2008, 10:24 AM
We need him for the future lock him up!

REDblooded
08-02-2008, 12:53 PM
umm... it always has been his team, which means nothing will change with Griffey gone, which means more losing, more prank phone calls, and more minimal effort. yeah, let's lock it him long term. Sounds like most of you have grown comfortable with .475, guess I should too.

Trace's Daddy
08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
umm... it always has been his team, which means nothing will change with Griffey gone, which means more losing, more prank phone calls, and more minimal effort. yeah, let's lock it him long term. Sounds like most of you have grown comfortable with .475, guess I should too.

How is .475 Dunn's stat?

JWP
08-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Brandon Phillips? Edison Volquez?

No, and no.

ChatterRed
08-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I can't ever remember a player I was more dramatically hot and cold on than Adam Dunn

Same here, until I write out next year's lineup without Dunn, then I seem to get hotter about him.

Chi-Town Red
08-02-2008, 02:29 PM
yep they should win a whole lot more games with Dunn gone...

REDblooded
08-02-2008, 02:31 PM
How is .475 Dunn's stat?

I apologize. Gave Dunn too much credit. The number is actually .440. As in, what the Reds winning % is since 2002 (dunn's first full season)......... If this is his team, as he says (and it is...), it's his stat.

REDblooded
08-02-2008, 02:32 PM
yep they should win a whole lot more games with Dunn gone...

No, they should be able to properly REBUILD with Dunn gone.

REDblooded
08-02-2008, 02:33 PM
For the record.....

2002 78-84
2003 69-93
2004 76-86
2005 73-89
2006 80-82
2007 72-90
2008 51-59

459-583 overall since 2002.

dmoe
08-02-2008, 09:06 PM
For the record.....

2002 78-84
2003 69-93
2004 76-86
2005 73-89
2006 80-82
2007 72-90
2008 51-59

459-583 overall since 2002.

c'mon you guys...we can't possibly be talking about letting each and every season solely rest on dunn's shoulders. last time i checked there 8 other guys on the field! i think his comments about his never feeling like it wasn't his team were smart comments to make to the media in light of the loss of a close teammate through the griffey trade.

fact of the matter is this: AD and his leadership abilities have been largely overshadowed by older, more experienced (and crabby) members of the team (larkin, griffey, etc) and now is his time to pull it together and show that he hasn't been too marred by their influence.

i enjoy watching the chummy relationship between dunner and bruce. there is serious potential here.

the chronic sense of negativity expressed by many who post on RZ leaves a lot to be desired. this team wants to win and i think they are one or two guys away from the right balance.

i hope we sign him long-term. if it hadn't been before, this is his team now.

REDblooded
08-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Thing is...... Dunn isn't a leader. He's a good guy, but a goof. He's doesn't exactly inspire hard work and dedication. Sorry, but it's true. And that's what you have making an impression on Jay Bruce....... scary.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry but a leader shouldn't rely soley on homers to score runs.. he averages what.. 5 rbis a week or so.. and at least 4 of those are from 2 homers.. in the other 5 games that week he does nothing.. thats GREAT leadership.. especially when his defense is sooooo bad..

yesterday was a great example.. dunn cost us an extra 2 runs.. and by no means should we have won.. but being down 2-0 after the first inning is FAR different than 4-0..

BLEEDS
08-04-2008, 10:30 AM

Yeah, but he's only batting .250...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

jimbo
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Sorry but a leader shouldn't rely soley on homers to score runs.. he averages what.. 5 rbis a week or so.. and at least 4 of those are from 2 homers.

Hmmmmm.....there has to be somebody on base to be able to actually hit them in. As of late, and especially now without Jr., baserunners have been few and far between.

Oh, and let's completely ignore how many runs Dunn scores.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
jimbo.. almost half of the runs he scores are from his homers.. the other 200 times he gets on base he scores at a .250 clip.. you are telling me that is not a base clogger..?! or a product of a lineup completely relying on homeruns..?!

improbus
08-04-2008, 02:51 PM
jimbo.. almost half of the runs he scores are from his homers.. the other 200 times he gets on base he scores at a .250 clip.. you are telling me that is not a base clogger..?! or a product of a lineup completely relying on homeruns..?!

So...how is that a problem, especially when that guy has the most HR in baseball? Keep trying...

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
So...how is that a problem, especially when that guy has the most HR in baseball? Keep trying...

keep trying what?

you need to tell me why ANY TEAM in baseball would want him on their team for more than 12 mil..

if you come up with a reason... and you won't.. i will simply ask you why no other GM in BASEBALL wants him..

It's a problem because in the other 130 games a year that he doesn't hit homeruns he bats like a 7 or 8 hitter.. but in a 3,4, or 5 hole..

jimbo
08-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Well, what is it then? Is it a Dunn problem, or a lineup problem. I would say the "lineup" this team puts out on a daily basis is pretty inept. The fact that Dunn is getting on base but not scoring is a problem with the hitters behind him, not Dunn.

jimbo
08-04-2008, 03:08 PM
i will simply ask you why no other GM in BASEBALL wants him..

You know this how? Can you please provide a link backing this up.......or is it just an assumption based on heresay and little or no evidence?

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
there is more evidence that this is true, than not true.. there have been many GM's across baseball who have said they dont want him.. I HAVE NEVER heard or heard of a GM saying.. "Dang, if Adam dunn is available we have to go hard after that guy, he would be crucial to our baseball success"..

I am done providing links for information for YOU to catchup on whats going on.. (not you specifically), but i am sick of people making claims and then having to catchup and findout the real stuff after i tell them they are wrong..

REDblooded
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Nobody is saying that Adam Dunn isn't a major league player. He is. It's just in the AL somewhere as a DH. He has absolutely NO PLACE as the offensive leader for a small market nl team.

If you believe otherwise, and think that is who you need to be making the centerpiece of your team, you're dead wrong.

improbus
08-04-2008, 03:35 PM
From everything I've heard, the Reds were asking for a ton in return, and no one was willing to give that up for a 2 month rental. The Reds weren't willing to give him away like the Pirates did with Bay and Nady.

BLEEDS
08-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Nobody is saying that Adam Dunn isn't a major league player. He is. It's just in the AL somewhere as a DH. He has absolutely NO PLACE as the offensive leader for a small market nl team.

If you believe otherwise, and think that is who you need to be making the centerpiece of your team, you're dead wrong.

Who should be the centerpiece of a "small market NL team" then? I sure hope it's someone with better PRODUCTION at a cheaper price.

If that's your case, we'll be waiting A LONG TIME because all you're going to find is less for more, or more for WAAAAAAY more.

I guess you want to be the Pirates and just make more money for the owners but not win any games?!?

Seriously, what is YOUR solution?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

redsbuckeye
08-04-2008, 03:55 PM

This is a false dilemma anyway.

BLEEDS
08-04-2008, 04:08 PM

How about a problem with him not being UTILIZED correctly? He should be batting, at a minimum, 1-2 spots lower in the order.

He STILL scores 100 runs a year, just because you don't like the fact that he HAS to score himesle 40 times, doesn't have anything to do with HIM.
Ridiculous.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

levydl
08-04-2008, 04:24 PM
there is more evidence that this is true, than not true.. there have been many GM's across baseball who have said they dont want him.. I HAVE NEVER heard or heard of a GM saying.. "Dang, if Adam dunn is available we have to go hard after that guy, he would be crucial to our baseball success"..

I am done providing links for information for YOU to catchup on whats going on.. (not you specifically), but i am sick of people making claims and then having to catchup and findout the real stuff after i tell them they are wrong..

Of course you haven't heard a GM say they want to get Dunn. That's called tampering. It's illegal. Continue to assume that's evidence that Dunn isn't wanted. We'll see what he gets in free agency. Remember, Krivsky, who was a GM, wanted Dunn for 2 years and $20-something million.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I said dunn would get something WAY TOO OVERPRICED in free agency.. if he ends up with more than 45 homers you reds fans who want him can kiss him goodbye because he will command more than 20 mil a year..

problem is.. adam dunn has 1 tool.. power.. if he gets hurt or let alone he has 2 bad seasons.. his career will end abruptly.. I do not want a player like him lockedup for more than 1 or 2 years.. and at that length he will command alot of money..

you watch him go somewhere else in the off season and watch how he quickly either A) produces like he has, and then the fans of that team will not like it much.. or B) He will improve his game to lose weight and improve on defense and his free swinging approach.. if option B occurs he will be my most hated ballplayer of all time, since he didnt do it here in 8 years..

levydl
08-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I said dunn would get something WAY TOO OVERPRICED in free agency.. if he ends up with more than 45 homers you reds fans who want him can kiss him goodbye because he will command more than 20 mil a year..

problem is.. adam dunn has 1 tool.. power.. if he gets hurt or let alone he has 2 bad seasons.. his career will end abruptly.. I do not want a player like him lockedup for more than 1 or 2 years.. and at that length he will command alot of money..

you watch him go somewhere else in the off season and watch how he quickly either A) produces like he has, and then the fans of that team will not like it much.. or B) He will improve his game to lose weight and improve on defense and his free swinging approach.. if option B occurs he will be my most hated ballplayer of all time, since he didnt do it here in 8 years..

Hold on, so you assert that Dunn has such low value that no GM wants him in a trade, yet you simultaneously think that he may command more than $20,000,000 a year in free agency?

BLEEDS
08-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Hold on, so you assert that Dunn has such low value that no GM wants him in a trade, yet you simultaneously think that he may command more than $20,000,000 a year in free agency?

:drink:

going to grab me some popcorn for this one; should be REALLY interesting...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 06:04 PM
yes.. no one wants to give anything up for him.. but if they can get him.. he will fetch a fair price.. esp if its a big market AL team who can hide his defense and protect him with multiple real power hitters behind and in front of him..

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 06:08 PM
why give anything up when you know the reds SHOULD let him go due to their league and market size..?!

levydl
08-04-2008, 06:57 PM
why give anything up when you know the reds SHOULD let him go due to their league and market size..?!

That's not what you've been saying. You've been claiming that he wasn't traded because no one wants him. You said this in this thread:

you need to tell me why ANY TEAM in baseball would want him on their team for more than 12 mil.. if you come up with a reason... and you won't.. i will simply ask you why no other GM in BASEBALL wants him..

The obvious implication is that you believe your low opinion of him is shared by all other GMs: that his defense is so bad that it essentially zeroes out his offense; that he only has 1 tool; that he's so streaky and basically a 7 or 8 hole hitter for 130 games; that he's lazy and fat; that he's a bad influence on younger players; etc., ect.

Now you're asserting that the reason no one traded for him is because GMs know he's having such a good year offensively that he'll price himself out of Cincinnati and he'll be available in the offseason without having to give up anything in a trade. Is that what you're telling me? So, you're saying that the fact that Dunn wasn't traded does not mean that GMs think he's terrible or not worth $12 mil., but that it was because GMs know they can get him in the offseason without giving up prospects?

Sorry, but it you're backpedaling. You know that GMs want him and will offer him a lot of money in free agency (even I doubt it will be $20 mil., but whatever). So now you're changing your tune about the reason he hasn't been traded. You've maintained up until now that the fact he wasn't traded is evidence GMs don't like him as a player, even in the face of those who've argued that the Reds are asking a lot and he'd only be a 2 month rent-a-player.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
no.. GM's do not want to trade for him.. If he is worth it.. other teams will risk making a big deal for a player.. unfortunately GM's are like some people here and they will overpay for a bat just because at that point there wont be any other options, because they think you must have a MASHER on your team to win.. i have already asked how many teams have EVER won a world series with a guy who hits even below .265 and has more than 40 homers as there main masher.. heck make it as a player on their team.. and no one still had an answer on given that statistic why we should keep him..

lets face it.. hits are far better than walks.. and dunn can't consistently hit the ball to save his life..

teams will only overpay for him because the perception by many in baseball is that you have to have a "pure" homerun threat in yourlineup instead of a couple decent power guys.. and a couple decent speed guys.. with a couple being both.. you dont need one masher.. you just dont..

redsbuckeye
08-04-2008, 09:18 PM
lets face it.. hits are far better than walks.. and dunn can't consistently hit the ball to save his life..

Why is it then that OBP correlates much better to runs scored than AVG?

/ponder

levydl
08-05-2008, 01:25 AM
no.. GM's do not want to trade for him.. If he is worth it.. other teams will risk making a big deal for a player.. unfortunately GM's are like some people here and they will overpay for a bat just because at that point there wont be any other options, because they think you must have a MASHER on your team to win.. i have already asked how many teams have EVER won a world series with a guy who hits even below .265 and has more than 40 homers as there main masher.. heck make it as a player on their team.. and no one still had an answer on given that statistic why we should keep him..

teams will only overpay for him because the perception by many in baseball is that you have to have a "pure" homerun threat in yourlineup instead of a couple decent power guys.. and a couple decent speed guys.. with a couple being both.. you dont need one masher.. you just dont..

So he's worth $20+ mil. to a GM in free agency, but you think the fact that he wasn't traded means those same GMs don't think he's particularly good? It couldn't be that the Reds were asking for a lot in return and that Dunn would only be a 2 month rental, right? Which makes more sense?

Ahhhorsepoo
08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
no.. because he hasnt gotten even reasonable offers in the last 3 years.. I had a family friend in the office who had heard many times the reds would get a package deal of like an organizations number 3 or 4 prospect and a few minor league fillers..

the only reason why people will bid for him is because their lineup "lacks power".. and man ram and the big hitters will be gone by that point..

levydl
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
no.. because he hasnt gotten even reasonable offers in the last 3 years.. I had a family friend in the office who had heard many times the reds would get a package deal of like an organizations number 3 or 4 prospect and a few minor league fillers..

the only reason why people will bid for him is because their lineup "lacks power".. and man ram and the big hitters will be gone by that point..

So you know what offers the Reds have had for Dunn over the last 3 years? Could you enlighten us?

Who cares what the specific reason is that teams will pay him $20+ mil. a year in FA (your figures, not mine)? It strains logic to believe that a team would pay a player $20+ mil. a year in FA but not trade top prospects for that same player, all things being equal. Of course, those situations aren't equal, since if Dunn were traded this year or last year, it would only be for 2 months. So the hang up isn't that he is a poor player (which you've stated over and over again in the near past), because then he could not command $20 mil., it has to be something else - the Reds high demands and/or the short time a team would have him in a trade.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-05-2008, 01:25 PM
no.. its the fact that he is a 1 tool player.. and some team will want power.. i.e. the rays because they "don't have any".. I am telling you what a "baseball guy" told me.. he included no names, but said specifically over the last 3 years there has been no prospects worth anything offered for dunn..

Ahhhorsepoo
08-05-2008, 01:27 PM
up until 2 years ago.. and after we started the whole free agency time.. teams wouldnt trade the farm for a rent a player.. they would wait and outbid everyone else.. its only the last few years where we have seen some people willing to pull the trigger for a few rent-a-players.. Sorry but dunn simply isnt as good as many reds fans think..

levydl
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
up until 2 years ago.. and after we started the whole free agency time.. teams wouldnt trade the farm for a rent a player.. they would wait and outbid everyone else.. its only the last few years where we have seen some people willing to pull the trigger for a few rent-a-players.. Sorry but dunn simply isnt as good as many reds fans think..

Then why would anyone sign him for $20+ mil. a year!?!?!? That just doesn't jibe. If he's not as good as Reds fans think, how in the world do you think he'll command $20 mil. a year? It makes absolutely no sense. If you say that he'll get that much because teams want power and that's the only thing he can provide, it must be pretty freaking important to become one of the top 10 highest paid players per year (in your mind). Honestly, you're not making sense.

And I think the rent-a-player era goes back a little. Remember Randy Johnson to the Astros and Colon to the Expos (for Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore, and Cliff Lee)? It's been happening for a while now (and those were much bigger hauls than Manny or Teixiera brought).

Jr's Boy
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
EE hasn't hit 30 HR yet

lol

Jr's Boy
08-05-2008, 02:50 PM
no.. its the fact that he is a 1 tool player.. and some team will want power.. i.e. the rays because they "don't have any".. I am telling you what a "baseball guy" told me.. he included no names, but said specifically over the last 3 years there has been no prospects worth anything offered for dunn..

Not many teams have players who can literally hit it out of the ball park.So thats hyperbole nobody's offered prospects for Dunn.

redsfanmia
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Not many teams have players who can literally hit it out of the ball park.So thats hyperbole nobody's offered prospects for Dunn.

A home run is a home run regardless of how far it goes.