PDA

View Full Version : Griffey gets RBI single in first at-bat for Chisox

Mainspark
08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
And a question. He knocked in Jim Thome. Are they the first members of the 500-homer club to play together after reaching that milestone?

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-01-2008, 09:47 PM
He sure looks strange in that black uniform though. Glad to see him helping the Sox already.

KC fans, and quite a few Sox fans in KC, gave him a nice standing ovation as he came to the plate. And plenty of Sox fans had their cameras pointed on him the entire at bat. The White Sox announcers went on and on about how KGJ has the sweetest swing in the game.

chicoruiz
08-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Right off the top of my head, I'm thinking Aaron and Matthews did it.

D-Man
08-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Thome and Manny, mid-90s Indians. . . although technically *before* 500 HRs.

Mainspark
08-01-2008, 10:05 PM
If I'm reading the statistics correctly, Matthews actually hit his 500th as, of all things, an Astro. The Braves apparently traded him after the 1967 season when he needed only a handful of homers to reach 500.
Aaron had about 440 homers at the time of that deal.
McCovey and Mays obviously played together for years as well, but I'm fairly certain McCovey reached 500 long after Mays departed.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to see something click and have Junior go off for a few years and get to #700.

I'd think the AL will be good for his legs to prolong his career. Of course, that Thome guy is in the way right now.

toledodan
08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
griffey drove one to the wall in left center that was caught. my guess is it would have been a homerun in cincy. its death valley at the K!

The Baumer
08-01-2008, 10:41 PM
I think it's disrespectful that they are batting him 7th! You'd expect better from a playoff caliber team!

RBA
08-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Another RBI single in the sixth.

Nugget
08-01-2008, 10:53 PM
2 out RBI - both ChiSox runs have been by Junior.

RBA
08-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Jr scores from second on a single.

Nugget
08-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Junior scores his first run as a ChiSox.

RBA
08-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Junior gets base on balls in the 8th. And he's replaced.

OnBaseMachine
08-01-2008, 11:40 PM
That's awesome to see Griffey getting off to a great start with the Sox. Hopefully he can go on a huge tear and lead his team to the World Series.

gm
08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Junior and DeWayne Wise are reunited with a fist-to-head bump in the Pale Hose dugout

Red in Chicago
08-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I guess if he had to be traded, I lucked out in that it's here in Chicago. I'm thinking about going to his first home game next week against the Tigers. If I don't make that one, I'll definitely make the Kansas City game the following week:thumbup:

kaldaniels
08-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Good for Jr.....absolutely.

One look at the box score troubled me however. Jr. is batting 7th.

That was so easy apparently. Would the Reds be in a different position today had Jr. not been locked into the 3 hole all year???

Big Klu
08-02-2008, 12:39 AM

That was so easy apparently. Would the Reds be in a different position today had Jr. not been locked into the 3 hole all year???

The big difference is that Ozzie Guillen is a psychopath. I mean, he's Charlie Manson in the manager's office. If you don't like his batting order, he'll cut out your heart with a spoon! :D

Here's a thought:

What would happen if Jose Guillen played for Ozzie Guillen? :eek:
I'm guessing Armageddon.

Razor Shines
08-02-2008, 01:03 AM

I doubt it. He's been hitting like a 3 hole hitter should for a month now and the Reds still lost ground in the playoff race. As much as I have hated the batting orders Dusty runs out there, this team is more than a flip flop of the order away from being in contention.

WVRedsFan
08-02-2008, 01:15 AM

Probably not. It would have made a lot more difference if he didn't have to bat in front of Brandon Phillips, who 60% of the time is an automatic out.

For a lot of this season, Griffey had two weak sisters batting in the 1 and 2 holes and Phillips behind him. It was much easier to not give Junior anything to hit when he was up with two outs, knowing Phillips would swing at the first junk pitch he saw.

If he had batted 7th, he would have been in front of either Paul Bako or David Ross. Who are you going to pitch to--Griffey or Bako. Case closed.

I'm happy for Junior that he is on a team where he has a chance to go to the World Series. The Chisox have a good offensive team, unlike the guys he just left who could only manage 4 hits against what is essentially a AAA team.

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 02:18 AM
I just saw the highlights of Griffey's two hits. He also hit a long flyball that was caught on the warning track in right center. It still hasn't quite hit me that Griffey is no longer a Red. He just didn't look right in a White Sox uniform.

oneupper
08-02-2008, 06:56 AM
And a question. He knocked in Jim Thome. Are they the first members of the 500-homer club to play together after reaching that milestone?

I think you have a first. As others pointed out Aaron played with Matthews, McCovey with Mays and Foxx with Williams, I'll add. But they were at different stages of their careers. Sosa and McGriff were close, IIRC, when McGriff, like Griffey was traded mid-season.

RedsBaron
08-02-2008, 07:58 AM
If I'm reading the statistics correctly, Matthews actually hit his 500th as, of all things, an Astro. The Braves apparently traded him after the 1967 season when he needed only a handful of homers to reach 500.
Aaron had about 440 homers at the time of that deal.
McCovey and Mays obviously played together for years as well, but I'm fairly certain McCovey reached 500 long after Mays departed.

The Braves traded Matthews to the Astros after the 1966 season. At that point, Matthews had 493 career HRs and had turned age 35. He hit career HR 500 as an Astro. He would close out his career the next season as a member of the 1968 Tigers World Champions.
I've always thought that the Braves move to Atlanta in 1966 made it easier for Braves management to trade Matthews. Matthews had been a huge fan favorite in Milwaukee from 1953 through 1965, winning two HR titles, playing on two NL pennant winners and the 1957 World Champions, and being a constant all star. Once the Braves moved to Atlanta, Matthews was just a guy fans had heard of without having nearly as much attachment to.
After the 1966 season, Hank Aaron was at 442 in career HRs, so neither Aaron or Matthews had yet attained 500 career HRs during their years together.

mth123
08-02-2008, 08:15 AM

Unless I'm mistaken. The roid boys Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa were togther on the 2005 Orioles and I think they had both already reached 500 HR by then.

camisadelgolf
08-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Unless I'm mistaked. the roid boys Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa were togther on the 2005 Orioles and I think they had both already reached 500 HR by then.

I just checked it. You are not mistaked.

oneupper
08-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Unless I'm mistaked. the roid boys Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa were togther on the 2005 Orioles and I think they had both already reached 500 HR by then.

Good catch. I missed that one. I wonder if they ever went back to back.

mth123
08-02-2008, 08:34 AM
I just checked it. You are not mistaked.

LOL.

Can't type very well. My dogs were howling and had to run to see what's up just as I was posting.

RedsBaron
08-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Good catch. I missed that one. I wonder if they ever went back to back.

Maybe in the clubhouse with needles, taking their "vitamins." ;)

Nugget
08-02-2008, 10:25 AM
The amazing thing is that the Royals fans stood up and cheered every time he went to the plate and gave him a standing ovation when he was substituted for the pinch runner.

KoryMac5
08-02-2008, 11:57 AM
The amazing thing is that the Royals fans stood up and cheered every time he went to the plate and gave him a standing ovation when he was substituted for the pinch runner.

I think a lot of people are realizing a brillant career is coming to an end and fans want to show their appreciation. It is nice to see people can appreciate a player while rooting for their team.

RFS62
08-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Griffey caused a boost in attendance all over the National League when he first came to Cincinnati.

I'll bet he gets a nice little tour of the American League cities with people coming out to see him again, on top of playing for a first place team.

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 12:59 PM
When Griffey singled to score Thome it was the first time in baseball history that a member of the 600 homerun club drove in a member of the 500 homerun club.

Matt700wlw
08-02-2008, 01:00 PM
You beat me to it :D

Kc61
08-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Seems to have left today's game with an injury, according to a web box score I read.

WVRedsFan
08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Seems to have left today's game with an injury, according to a web box score I read.

Heat related leg cramps.

Reds Fanatic
08-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Heat related leg cramps.
They had a heat index of 111 on the field today in KC which caused the cramps.

letsgojunior
08-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Griffey caused a boost in attendance all over the National League when he first came to Cincinnati.

I'll bet he gets a nice little tour of the American League cities with people coming out to see him again, on top of playing for a first place team.

Junior achievement
Since the acquisition of Griffey, the Sox have experienced a spike in season ticket sales that include postseason options and individual game sales, according to Brooks Boyer,the Sox's marketing head.

Boyer says sales have been substantially higher than normal since Griffey joined the Sox and that fans were willing to buy tickets in marginal seat locations.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080802-ken-griffey-jim-thome-chicago-white-sox,0,1308806.story