PDA

View Full Version : Beijing Olympics thread

Pages : [1] 2

improbus
08-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Is anyone excited? What are your favorite events? Are you worried about doping? Discuss...

SunDeck
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Normally, I really look forward to it, but with all the pre-Olympic publicity about smog and the lack of openness of the Chinese government, I am not nearly as into it as I have been in the past.

That'll probably wear off- to me even a smattering of the Olympic spirit takes me back to my youth when I entertained hopes of one day becoming an Olympic swimmer. Of course, I didn't know back then that I was probably ranked about 42,456,888th in the 8 and under 50 meter freestyle, but that's why the Olympics are important. They engage the dreams of the world youth.

Favorite events: Swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming and swimming.

texasdave
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Trampoline is now an Olympic sport. That actually might be entertaining. Team synchronized Bungee jumping can't be far behind.

M2
08-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Track and swimming are my two favorites, but I really dig some of the out-of-the-spotlight events like wrestling, weight lifting, badminton, cycling, volleyball (indoor and beach), rowing and water polo.

My hope is the games are great and the Chinese government winds up with egg all over its face.

MaineRed
08-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm hoping for some sort of riot.

Red in Chicago
08-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Is anyone excited? What are your favorite events? Are you worried about doping? Discuss...

couldn't care less about the olympics in china:thumbdown

texasdave
08-03-2008, 07:20 AM
If this were the Winter Games this would be an easy question. My hands-down favorite winter sport is curling. I love me some curling action.

SunDeck
08-03-2008, 07:21 AM
If this were the Winter Games this would be an easy question. My hands-down favorite winter sport is curling. I love me some curling action.

Obsessive Compulsive cleaning.

On ice. :thumbup:

texasdave
08-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Obsessive Compulsive cleaning.

On ice. :thumbup:

Curling is the only sport in which one team truly does 'sweep' the opposing side. :p:

Jack Burton
08-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I'll pretty much watch any event, it's the pinnacle of sport.

*BaseClogger*
08-03-2008, 11:34 PM
What are your favorite events?

baseball?

KronoRed
08-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Nothing beats speed walking, I hope NBC gives it enough coverage this year.

westofyou
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Normally, I really look forward to it, but with all the pre-Olympic publicity about smog and the lack of openness of the Chinese government, I am not nearly as into it as I have been in the past.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/olympics/smog533.jpg

1976 USA Boxing... that's what I wish for.

IslandRed
08-04-2008, 01:44 PM
My hope is the games are great and the Chinese government winds up with egg all over its face.

Me too. But I have the feeling that we're looking at another Berlin 1936, in that the Games will be great and the egg will come later.

RichRed
08-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Track and swimming are my two favorites, but I really dig some of the out-of-the-spotlight events like wrestling, weight lifting, badminton, cycling, volleyball (indoor and beach), rowing and water polo.

I've always enjoyed team handball and wish they'd show more of it.

Danny Serafini
08-04-2008, 02:04 PM
The Olympics are a strange thing for me. A lot of these sports I won't spend two seconds watching over the course of four years, and then during the Olympics I'm glued to the TV watching them.

Chip R
08-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Curling
Curling
Let's all go bloody Curling
On E-S-P-N

OldRightHander
08-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Trampoline is now an Olympic sport. That actually might be entertaining. Team synchronized Bungee jumping can't be far behind.

I almost wish it was winter right now. I'm sitting in your hometown at the moment, at my wife's uncle's house near NASA, and their air conditioning isn't working right. It's over 80 inside their apartment and I finally came out to sit in my van with the engine running for a little while just to cool off. What is the temp outside in Houston today, about 285?

All kidding aside, I usually enjoy the olympics, especially the less covered events like water polo. I like to see sports I usually don't get to see during other times during the year.

SunDeck
08-04-2008, 05:37 PM
The Olympics are a strange thing for me. A lot of these sports I won't spend two seconds watching over the course of four years, and then during the Olympics I'm glued to the TV watching them.

Amanda Beard will do that do a man.

improbus
08-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Here was an interesting article on doping in the Olympics. I'm not sure whether I should be excited or worried...
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news;_ylt=ApFbTwK6D2pFgKbIPRAE3og5nYcB?slug=ys-olympicdoping080508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

15fan
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
In 1996, we really had a blast seeing a lot of the minor sports. Modern pentathlon, team handball, table tennis, badminton, street cycling, the marathons, etc. Also got to a track session (morning after the bombing, and Jackie Joyner-Kersee blew out her hammy during our session). I'm glad we did - sitting in the stadium for track & field makes it feel like you've officially been at the Olympics.

I also dig volleyball (my game in high school & beyond) as well as swimming (dad & grandfather swam collegiately).

I'm hoping that this is the year that NBC just shows competition after competition, based on all of the channels they are running. I don't want to hear Bob Costas and Jim Lampley on a set somewhere or hear athlete profiles, or just see stuff involving Team USA. I'd much rather watch a contest between two countries. And if one of those countries is Brazil, all the better.

In my next life, I want to come back as a Brazilian. Those folks know how to root for a team and have a good time at a game...and beyond.

improbus
08-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Big upset. Norway just shut out the US Women's Soccer team. They now have to work hard to even make it to the knock-out round.

BTW, I just got my DVR yesterday, and I can't wait to try it out with the Olympics. Now I will really be able to pick and choose what I want to watch. I won't have to watch hours of gymnastics...

NJReds
08-07-2008, 09:55 AM
US beat Japan, 1-0, in men's soccer. But they were lucky to hang on. The last 20-25 minutes they were uninspired and nearly gave up the lead on multiple occasions.

HeatherC1212
08-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I love the Olympics! I usually end up watching just about anything and everything I can find including both the Today Show and the late night coverage so I'm fully prepared to be in a comatose state for the next two weeks, LOL :D I'm really excited this year because we finally have cable and I'll be able to watch more of the events than I did four years ago. My favorite sports are swimming, diving, equestrian, some of the track events, baseball, volleyball, and my ultimate fave, gymnastics!! I'm probably the only one in this thread totally stoked about the gymnastics but there you go, LOL :laugh:

SunDeck
08-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Hotdog eating. That needs to be an Olympic sport, if you ask me. They could just tack it onto the decathlon- have 'em eat those dogs, then run 26 miles.

M2
08-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Hotdog eating. That needs to be an Olympic sport, if you ask me. They could just tack it onto the decathlon- have 'em eat those dogs, then run 26 miles.

You joke, but Joey Chestnut vs. Kobayashi might just be the best rivalry in sports at this moment.

paintmered
08-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Just once I want to hear a Chinese official say, "We are so honored to host the Orympic Games".

michst
08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Gymnastics is my favorite (haha i coach on the side). Be ready to have a completely different scoring system - it will be pounded into your head but the ten is gone. So it will be completely confusing for everyone.

Matt700wlw
08-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Looking at that smog, maybe the Global Warming groups should go to China....

:)

wolfboy
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Looking at that smog, maybe the Global Warming groups should go to China....

:)

I guess WLW would have to follow, right? Your entire daytime lineup would be shot without them. :)

gilpdawg
08-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Gymnastics is my favorite (haha i coach on the side). Be ready to have a completely different scoring system - it will be pounded into your head but the ten is gone. So it will be completely confusing for everyone.
I enjoy that as well. The athleticism is just completely amazing.

Yachtzee
08-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm looking forward to Swimming, Diving, Soccer, Volleyball, Track and Field, Rowing and some other sports I don't necessarily expect to see. I loved it in 1996 when I lived in Bowling Green and could get the CBC broadcast for the games because they showed a lot of the actual events and a lot less of the fluff pieces. I think NBC consistently fails to realize that there is a lot of drama in the actual events and can be provided by non-Americans. Gymnastics is the one sport that always tends to turn me off because the announcers have tended to be overly biased toward the Americans to the point where they've said some really embarrassing things in the past. Is John Tesh going to be around again this year?

Yachtzee
08-08-2008, 11:27 PM
By the way, I think the Hungarian Women get the pick for most unfortunate outfit for the Parade of Nations. Red flowers on white dresses? From a distance it looks like they've been riddled with bullet holes. :eek:

cincinnati chili
08-09-2008, 01:32 AM
By the way, I think the Hungarian Women get the pick for most unfortunate outfit for the Parade of Nations. Red flowers on white dresses? From a distance it looks like they've been riddled with bullet holes. :eek:

I turned on my computer for the specific purpose of seeing images of those hideous things one more time. I thought I was hallucinating.

Kudos to the first one to post photos of this.

Bravo on an amazing opening ceremonies.

jmcclain19
08-09-2008, 02:17 AM
I could watch the Olympic whitewater kayaking repeatedly - waiting anxiously for those events. The swimming and track & field events are always great entertainment as well.

I do loathe that NBC is pulling the tape delay once again. In the era of the internet, it takes quite a bit of the mystery away from the events.

Yachtzee
08-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I could watch the Olympic whitewater kayaking repeatedly - waiting anxiously for those events. The swimming and track & field events are always great entertainment as well.

I do loathe that NBC is pulling the tape delay once again. In the era of the internet, it takes quite a bit of the mystery away from the events.

I noticed DirectTV has added channels to handle more Olympics coverage. I'm hoping that means I get to see more events live.

Reds Fanatic
08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
US women swept the medals today in the fencing sabre individual event.

NJReds
08-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I turned on my computer for the specific purpose of seeing images of those hideous things one more time. I thought I was hallucinating.

Kudos to the first one to post photos of this.

Ask and you shall receive ... although this really doesn't do it justice.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080808/i/r4273907848.jpg

TeamSelig
08-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Phelps wins big, imagine that :)

so far so good for usa swimming

OldRightHander
08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Watching prime time coverage here, a little later than you folks in eastern time zone, but right now they're showing beach volleyball. The announcer just said, "The defending gold medalists are looking good." Well, that's a bit of an understatement. I wonder if he could tell me how they're playing now.

improbus
08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Phelps wins big, imagine that :)

so far so good for usa swimming

I have a feeling that by the end of the next two weeks, I will feel the same about Phelps as I did about Favre last week.

Betterread
08-09-2008, 10:58 PM
n/a

Betterread
08-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Just once I want to hear a Chinese official say, "We are so honored to host the Orympic Games".
Why? The time I spent in China I never heard this type of mistake. Have you heard a Chinese person mispronounce the Olympics? Why do you want to hear someone mispronounce the Olympics?

MasonBuzz3
08-10-2008, 12:37 AM
but right now they're showing beach volleyball. The announcer just said, "The defending gold medalists are looking good." Well, that's a bit of an understatement. I wonder if he could tell me how they're playing now.

to borrow from another thread, but Misty May is a guilty pleasure of mine. Damn Matt Treanor. If she loved semi-talented baseball players, I was available

NJReds
08-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Italy putting on a display against Korea in men's soccer. 2-0 in the 33rd. The American, Guiseppe Rossi scored his second goal of the tourny.

The US is tough to watch. Although Adu had a little magic on a run, but misfired on the shot.

The field conditions in China are horrendous.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Some better play by the US, forcing tough saves by the Dutch keeper.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Beautiful touch by Adu to set up Sasha Kljestan with a great finish to tie the game 1-1 in the 65th.

Adu going to Europe to play club ball was a great move, he's really improved.

Altadore on for the Americans. US going for the win.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 09:13 AM
ALTADORE ... 2-1 US in the 72th.

Really impressed how the US came out in the second half. Hopefully they keep up the pressure.

Netherlands brings in two forwards for two defenders in the 75th. Should be a great finish.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Netherlands ties on a free kick in the 93rd minute. Horrible job by the "wall" and the shot goes right in the middle of the net. 2-2 final; Adu and Holden out of the Nigeria game (2 yellows).

They advance to the QF with a win or tie v. Nigeria.

RawOwl UK
08-10-2008, 10:21 AM
USA v China in the basketball just started . 11-9 China with 6:00 left of the 1st.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
China is making this a game. They're hitting everything from long range. US team is gambling a lot on D and leaving shots on the floor.

Offensively, this US team looks like it still sorely needs a specialized shooter to break the zone defenses.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 10:52 AM
China's hitting a lot of threes, but usually those shots start coming up short as the game goes on and players' legs start getting tired. They US just has to keep playing their game, extend the defense into China's backcourt and keep forcing turnovers.

Yachtzee
08-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Italy putting on a display against Korea in men's soccer. 2-0 in the 33rd. The American, Guiseppe Rossi scored his second goal of the tourny.

The US is tough to watch. Although Adu had a little magic on a run, but misfired on the shot.

The field conditions in China are horrendous.

I had to leave for church, but I couldn't believe the field conditions for those games this morning. It looked like Heinz Field or Cleveland Browns Stadium after season of football had been played on it in bad weather. Pretty inexcusable for a major international tournament.

OldRightHander
08-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok, every couple years NBC does the coverage the same way and every time I'm not the only one who complains. You would think by now they would figure out that we don't want to see the little production pieces about the athletes. I want to see more competition. I want to see the events themselves and I don't really care one bit that little Wong Dang's dog was eaten by his neighbor and he's been training since he was six months old. Just show me him competing and leave out the silly human interest garbage. Am I the only one who thinks this? I don't think so.

improbus
08-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I had to leave for church, but I couldn't believe the field conditions for those games this morning. It looked like Heinz Field or Cleveland Browns Stadium after season of football had been played on it in bad weather. Pretty inexcusable for a major international tournament.
Didn't you notice the monsoon? I was watching the women's cycling road race and they were riding through water 6 inches deep in places. It's not their fault.

RBA
08-10-2008, 11:46 PM
AWESOME! USA wins Men's Swimming relay!

dougdirt
08-11-2008, 12:02 AM
AWESOME! USA wins Men's Swimming relay!

Yeah, I jumped out of my chair. I get a little excited with national pride.... that comeback over the final 50 was nuts.:thumbup:

Matt700wlw
08-11-2008, 12:33 AM
What I like in the Olympics is the heart, passion, and pride the athletes show.....they know what they're doing is special.....and they appreciate the opportunity

Gainesville Red
08-11-2008, 12:55 AM
I've come to realize that I like America, and watching volleyball.

dougdirt
08-11-2008, 02:38 AM
I've come to realize that I like America, and watching volleyball.

why would you ever like volleyball? Whats to like about well toned women in shorts that are as tight as can be and are about 6 inches long? ;)

Patrick Bateman
08-11-2008, 03:05 AM

Believe it or not, in the crowds I'm in, Olympic Curling is a huge deal. Unless Canada wins both medals, we aren't happy.

improbus
08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Did anyone see Bob Costas' interview of President Bush? That might have been the toughest interview he's endured in his 8 years in office. Costas just kept firing. Good stuff.

Roy Tucker
08-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Did anyone see Bob Costas' interview of President Bush? That might have been the toughest interview he's endured in his 8 years in office. Costas just kept firing. Good stuff.

I did. I had the Olympics on but was reading.

I saw Bush come on but figured Costas would just lob softballs and just paid about 1/4 attention. After about a minute or so, I noticed little Bob was *really* hammering away with the questions and none of them were softballs. George had that "hey, what it this?" look in his eye. Watched the rest of of it and thought "dang, they should put Costas on the White House beat".

15fan
08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
The men's 4 x 100m freestyle relay final was epic.

Abso-freakin-lutely epic.

OldRightHander
08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I surely hope volleyball never switches to those baggy shorts like basketball did.:evil:

NJReds
08-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I did. I had the Olympics on but was reading.

I saw Bush come on but figured Costas would just lob softballs and just paid about 1/4 attention. After about a minute or so, I noticed little Bob was *really* hammering away with the questions and none of them were softballs. George had that "hey, what it this?" look in his eye. Watched the rest of of it and thought "dang, they should put Costas on the White House beat".

Agreed. It caught me totally by surprise. Costas sounded like he was auditioning for a new gig. He certainly did his homework. The questions were tough, but fair. It didn't come across like he was hammering Bush; just asking legit questions.

To Bush's credit, I thought he handled it well, because he certainly couldn't have been expecting it. He probably thought he'd get one "tough" China question, and then a few questions about the American athletes that he visited.

BuckeyeRed27
08-11-2008, 11:13 AM
The men's 4 x 100m freestyle relay final was epic.

Abso-freakin-lutely epic.

Stunning. That is why you just have to love the Olympics for stuff like that race. I mean I'm laying in bed at 1130 and all of the sudden I'm just yelling "go, go, go" at the TV. Awesome job guys!

rotnoid
08-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Ok, every couple years NBC does the coverage the same way and every time I'm not the only one who complains. You would think by now they would figure out that we don't want to see the little production pieces about the athletes. I want to see more competition. I want to see the events themselves and I don't really care one bit that little Wong Dang's dog was eaten by his neighbor and he's been training since he was six months old. Just show me him competing and leave out the silly human interest garbage. Am I the only one who thinks this? I don't think so.

I'm with you. NBC has had weeks to run this stuff in anticipation of the games. I want to see the games themselves. Even if it's something that I'm not interested in, I'd rather watch the competition thant the back story. If the commentators have done their homework all that will come out in the broadcast anyway.

improbus
08-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I love the Olympics, but I think I will throw up if I hear any more about Phelps. I appreciate what he is trying to do, but NBC is killing the story. Let the events and the drama play itself out. They are giving it the "Joe Buck during a no-hitter" treatment. I really don't care that Phelps is a Ravens fan. What does that have to do with anything? Just obnoxious.

15fan
08-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I love the Olympics, but I think I will throw up if I hear any more about Phelps. I appreciate what he is trying to do, but NBC is killing the story. Let the events and the drama play itself out. They are giving it the "Joe Buck during a no-hitter" treatment. I really don't care that Phelps is a Ravens fan. What does that have to do with anything? Just obnoxious.

I'll take the opposite approach. I don't think Phelps' story can be over-covered. What he's attempting to do is beyond freakish. 8 golds in the same Olympics? That's twice what Jesse Owens did in 1936 and what Carl Lewis did in 1984. That one-ups Spitz in an era when the internationalization of training and competing makes it unfathomable that one individual could be the best in the world at 8 different combinations of distances / strokes.

I think there also exists the very real possibility that Phelps pocketing 8 golds will do for the sport of swimming what Jordan did for basketball in the 90s, and Tiger Woods has done for golf in the 00s - junior swimming programs all over the country (and world?) will attract kids like never before.

GoReds33
08-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I'll take the opposite approach. I don't think Phelps' story can be over-covered. What he's attempting to do is beyond freakish. 8 golds in the same Olympics? That's twice what Jesse Owens did in 1936 and what Carl Lewis did in 1984. That one-ups Spitz in an era when the internationalization of training and competing makes it unfathomable that one individual could be the best in the world at 8 different combinations of distances / strokes.

I think there also exists the very real possibility that Phelps pocketing 8 golds will do for the sport of swimming what Jordan did for basketball in the 90s, and Tiger Woods has done for golf in the 00s - junior swimming programs all over the country (and world?) will attract kids like never before.I could not agree more. Michael Phelps is the greatest athlete in the world right now. He's the Michael Jordan of this generation. If he does what many thought impossible, and wins eight golds, than every bit of this coverage was worth it. Even if he doesn't get it, the fact that a possibility even exists for such a thing to happen is beyond comprehension.

MWM
08-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Dude, the American Men's Gymnastics team is blowing my mind right now. They're performance on the high bars was stunning. Something special is brewing. Hopefully I didn't jinx them, but this could be historic.

Gainesville Red
08-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Hopefully I didn't jinx them, but this could be historic.

Don't worry about it. That'll be when I switch over to it.

(So, to clarify, the jinx begins right..............................now.)

HeatherC1212
08-12-2008, 12:57 AM
US Men's Gymnastics Team.....OLYMPIC BRONZE MEDALISTS!!! :jump:

What a fantastic night of gymnastics! WOW, the US men were on fire and aside from one major blip and another small blip on their last rotation (not their strongest event at all), they were absolutely outstanding. MAD props to them for doing so well and proving all the doubters wrong about them medaling in the Olympics!! I am SO proud of them! Who says gymnastics isn't that exciting and shouldn't be covered much?! They actually bumped some of the swimming tonight! That's impressive. Way to go guys!! :jump:

Caveat Emperor
08-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Dude, the American Men's Gymnastics team is blowing my mind right now. They're performance on the high bars was stunning. Something special is brewing. Hopefully I didn't jinx them, but this could be historic.

Unbelievable is the only word to describe it.

Another great night of Olympic action. I'm hooked now.

SunDeck
08-12-2008, 07:24 AM

I think there also exists the very real possibility that Phelps pocketing 8 golds will do for the sport of swimming what Jordan did for basketball in the 90s, and Tiger Woods has done for golf in the 00s - junior swimming programs all over the country (and world?) will attract kids like never before.

Mark Spitz did the same for swimming when he won the seven gold medals. This poster hung on my brother's bedroom wall and several swim teams, including the one I was on, used these suits during the mid seventies.

http://iaingraham.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/0248.jpg

So, I can personally attest to the effects of what Phelps is trying to accomplish.

NJReds
08-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Unbelievable is the only word to describe it.

Another great night of Olympic action. I'm hooked now.

I'm first in line to criticize NBC for their Olympic coverage. But in spite of the time difference, they seem to be doing a great job this year.

15fan
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
The other thing that's really striking me about the swimming this go-round is just how big the swimmers are. Not big as in muscular, but big as in tall. Phelps is what - 6'4"? Grevers is 6'8". That seems to be the norm moreso than I ever remember. Just a decade ago, there would have been little chance that those guys strayed from football, basketball, or pitching in baseball. Swimming was for the 6'-ish guys, not the 6'6"-ish guys.

But now with the face that Phelps is putting on swimming, and the associated money that he's inevitably attracting to the sport, I think you'll see more tall kids gravitate to the pool, or stick with the pool when they hit that growth spurt.

Sure it's going to an extreme, but maybe the next Yao Ming won't be Yao Ming on the hardwood, but will opt for the pool instead. A 7'6" world class swimmer?

If the Chinese want to win the medal count at future games, they should stick their next young Yao in a pool and teach him to freestyle and backstroke. That's what it's going to take for someone down the road to approach the medal count that Phelps is going to have by the time these games are over.

improbus
08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
The other thing that's really striking me about the swimming this go-round is just how big the swimmers are. Not big as in muscular, but big as in tall. Phelps is what - 6'4"? Grevers is 6'8". That seems to be the norm moreso than I ever remember. Just a decade ago, there would have been little chance that those guys strayed from football, basketball, or pitching in baseball. Swimming was for the 6'-ish guys, not the 6'6"-ish guys.

But now with the face that Phelps is putting on swimming, and the associated money that he's inevitably attracting to the sport, I think you'll see more tall kids gravitate to the pool, or stick with the pool when they hit that growth spurt.

Sure it's going to an extreme, but maybe the next Yao Ming won't be Yao Ming on the hardwood, but will opt for the pool instead. A 7'6" world class swimmer?

If the Chinese want to win the medal count at future games, they should stick their next young Yao in a pool and teach him to freestyle and backstroke. That's what it's going to take for someone down the road to approach the medal count that Phelps is going to have by the time these games are over.

And people wonder why there are no great white Americans in the NBA. they are all swimming.

RBA
08-12-2008, 01:58 PM
NBC has been delaying the broadcast on the West Coast, but they have the "LIVE" banner plastered on the screen. A little bit of deception if you ask me.

Chip R
08-12-2008, 02:08 PM
NBC has been delaying the broadcast on the West Coast, but they have the "LIVE" banner plastered on the screen. A little bit of deception if you ask me.

Maybe they are just encouraging the suicidal not to go through with it. ;)

RBA
08-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Maybe they are just encouraging the suicidal not to go through with it. ;)

Maybe. I guess I could hit the sports bars and lay some bets down. :D

Chip R
08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Maybe. I guess I could hit the sports bars and lay some bets down. :D

There you go.

OldRightHander
08-12-2008, 02:27 PM

Same with mountain time. That's why I have to be careful about coming into this thread when people have posted results before I've had a chance to see the event.

KronoRed
08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
It's delayed in central as well, I fielded a bunch of question about it last night, some with colorful language. :help:

RBA
08-13-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm not convinced all the Chinese "women/girls" gymnast are over 16 years old.

GoReds33
08-13-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm not convinced all the Chinese "women/girls" gymnast are over 16 years old.Me either. I saw one girl that looked like she wasn't even 14.

dougdirt
08-13-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm not convinced all the Chinese "women/girls" gymnast are over 16 years old.

No one is convinced, but you can't prove otherwise, so there they are.

What I am convinced of is that Michael Phelps is an absolute freak of nature.

TeamSelig
08-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Do they have to be a certain age to participate?

Matt700wlw
08-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Michael Phelps is not human. This is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. What he is doing is absolutely mind blowing

KronoRed
08-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Do they have to be a certain age to participate?

If those kids are 16 then I'm batman.

TeamSelig
08-13-2008, 01:15 AM

If those kids are 16 then I'm batman.

I see... so Bruce, maybe that explains your amazing post count.

KronoRed
08-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Nah, I'd be out fighting crime and stuff instead of posting :D

HumnHilghtFreel
08-13-2008, 01:34 AM
No one is convinced, but you can't prove otherwise, so there they are.

What I am convinced of is that Michael Phelps is an absolute freak of nature.

One thing I'm surely convinced of is that I have a crush on Alicia Sacramone, mess ups and all :lol:

Blimpie
08-13-2008, 07:38 AM
And people wonder why there are no great white Americans in the NBA. they are all swimming.or playing volleyball.... How tall is Dalhausser... 6' 9" ??

Chip R
08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
One thing I'm surely convinced of is that I have a crush on Alicia Sacramone, mess ups and all :lol:

I noticed last night that she seemed a little bigger than her teammates and a lot bigger than the Chinese girls. I was relieved to find out that she is 20 years old. :)

improbus
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM

She looks like Eva Mendez.

Chip R
08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
She looks like Eva Mendez.

I don't see it but that's certainly a favorable comparison.

I felt so bad for her last night after she messed up on the balance beam. Then she was still thinking about that on the floor exercise and she messed that up too. I would hope there is some redemption for her but I didn't think I heard her name when they were talking about the individual events. Heck, even if she didn't mess up they might have not been able to beat the Chinese anyway. I think getting silver medals is quite an acomplishment. Sure, gold would have been better but it's certainly not a tragedy.

Redlegs23
08-13-2008, 10:40 AM

I guess I'm not the only one...you're going to have to fight me for her.

OldRightHander
08-13-2008, 10:56 AM

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

rotnoid
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Glad it wasn't just me then.

I can't help but stay glued to the TV every night now. These games are so riveting. And once the swimming's over, the track and field event start. This is great sports.

Matt700wlw
08-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Thankfully, Alicia Sacramone, is legal....and yes, QUITE attractive.

Their opponents, I swear, one of those little chinese girls couldn't be any more than 8.

SunDeck
08-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Does anyone else here find Beach Volleyball to be boring? I'm pretty sure it's an Olympic sport just for the ratings. I mean, do you actually play better with your suit riding up your butt like that?

OldRightHander
08-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I also heard that the Chinese girls aren't allowed outside unless it's in groups of three connected to one another by a rope or chain. That's ever since one of their girls walked out the door and got caught by a wind gust and turned up in Taiwan.

OldRightHander
08-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Does anyone else here find Beach Volleyball to be boring? I'm pretty sure it's an Olympic sport just for the ratings. I mean, do you actually play better with your suit riding up your butt like that?

A lot of guys probably don't watch it for the sport.

HeatherC1212
08-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't see it but that's certainly a favorable comparison.

I felt so bad for her last night after she messed up on the balance beam. Then she was still thinking about that on the floor exercise and she messed that up too. I would hope there is some redemption for her but I didn't think I heard her name when they were talking about the individual events. Heck, even if she didn't mess up they might have not been able to beat the Chinese anyway. I think getting silver medals is quite an acomplishment. Sure, gold would have been better but it's certainly not a tragedy.

Alicia qualified to the vault final so you guys can all drool over her again later this week, LOL :lol:

And you're right, even if the girls had hit all their routines, they may not have beaten China anyway because their start values were higher than the USA. I'm very proud of the US girls though because they didn't crumble. They didn't have their best night but silver is definitely nothing to be ashamed of and I hope they use that as motivation to kick some behind in the other events. :thumbup:

HumnHilghtFreel
08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
I guess I'm not the only one...you're going to have to fight me for her.

I'm assuming this is a fight to the death, yes?

Prepare your will!!!

:D

dougdirt
08-13-2008, 12:27 PM
This thread just isn't complete without pictures.... someone step up their game.

nate
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
The Bonger is taking the mound for Korea vs. US.

The Korean unis are a lot like the ones the kids got at the end of "My Blue Heaven"...they look like sports coats.

Chip R
08-13-2008, 12:52 PM
This thread just isn't complete without pictures.... someone step up their game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/usa/alicia+sacramone/221731

NYMoose
08-13-2008, 12:58 PM

Some more

http://www.gymbox.net/alicia_sacramone.htm

http://www.mtv.co.uk/channel/mtvuk/gallery/gallery_viewer/alicia-sacramone-gallery

TeamSelig
08-13-2008, 02:06 PM
wow I'm in love

15fan
08-13-2008, 02:08 PM
The team photo from the medal ceremony (5th photo in the MTV link) looks...eerie. 5 girls with big smiles and silver medals while Sacramone looks like she's a million miles away.

Hopefully time will ease the sting and allow her to see that silver at the Olympics is nothing to be ashamed of.

Win as a team. Lose as a team.

cumberlandreds
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM

I never find it boring to see women in bikinis playing in the sand. :D

Chip R
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Some more

http://www.gymbox.net/alicia_sacramone.htm

http://www.mtv.co.uk/channel/mtvuk/gallery/gallery_viewer/alicia-sacramone-gallery

I take it she's not related to these two. ;)

http://www.sopranosuessightings.com/assets/JohnnyAndGiinySackA11.jpg

Blimpie
08-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Holy cow....

Sorry to change the subject, but has anybody seen the video of the Hungarian weightlifter who mangled his elbow lifting 115 kilos?

Let's just say it has 'Theismanesque' qualities.

Chip R
08-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Holy cow....

Sorry to change the subject, but has anybody seen the video of the Hungarian weightlifter who mangled his elbow lifting 115 kilos?

Nope and thanks for the warning. :eek:

TeamSelig
08-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Sportscenter says that US gymnastics team are blaming olympic officials for distracting my new girlfriend before she went on and made those mistakes.

NYMoose
08-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I take it she's not related to these two. ;)

http://www.sopranosuessightings.com/assets/JohnnyAndGiinySackA11.jpg

Everytime I hear her name, the Sopranos come to mind.

Danny Serafini
08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Nope and thanks for the warning. :eek:

Think Napoleon McCallum, but with an elbow instead of a knee. Definitely one to make you cringe.

HeatherC1212
08-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Sportscenter says that US gymnastics team are blaming olympic officials for distracting my new girlfriend before she went on and made those mistakes.

Not the team...it's the coach is blaming the officials. Those girls haven't blamed anyone for their competition and have all pretty much said that mistakes happen and that China had a better day and deserved the gold. I really do not want to see anyone blaming the girls for the idiotic things the coach (aka, Martha) is saying to the media. :thumbdown

Jack Burton
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
If Sacramone wouldn't have flubbed so bad the U.S. would have taken home gold. That's obvious and the reason excuses are being thrown around. She fell off the beam on her mount and then fell on her butt and later stepped out of bounds on her floor routine.

HeatherC1212
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
If Sacramone wouldn't have flubbed so bad the U.S. would have taken home gold. That's obvious and the reason excuses are being thrown around. She fell off the beam on her mount and then fell on her butt and later stepped out of bounds on her floor routine.

That is NOT the case at all. :thumbdown China started off with nearly a two point lead in the difficulty amounts with their start values, so even if the US and China had both performed perfectly, the US may not have won due to their start values being lower than the Chinese team's. Even if you add back the points from the USA's mistakes on FX and beam, the US was still in silver medal position. The girls definitely had a great chance to win last night but it didn't happen for them and I wish people would stop acting like silver is some sort of disease. It's still an Olympic medal and I'm sure any of those other teams would love to have it. The girls (Alicia aside who still seemed pretty stunned by what had happened but was seen smiling in pictures later) were smiling and happy to receive their medals last night. They won a silver medal in the Olympics and should be very proud of themselves.

RBA
08-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Not the team...it's the coach is blaming the officials. Those girls haven't blamed anyone for their competition and have all pretty much said that mistakes happen and that China had a better day and deserved the gold. I really do not want to see anyone blaming the girls for the idiotic things the coach (aka, Martha) is saying to the media. :thumbdown

In my mind the US won the Gold. Even with their mistakes. There is plenty of evidence that some of the Chinese team were and are not of the required age. That's cheating and the Olympic officials should have a full investigation.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1832312,00.html

Reds Fanatic
08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Holy cow....

If anyone wants to see it here it is but this is not for the squeamish.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=33a_1218642189&p=1

Reds Fanatic
08-13-2008, 08:08 PM
In my mind the US won the Gold. Even with their mistakes. There is plenty of evidence that some of the Chinese team were and are not of the required age. That's cheating and the Olympic officials should have a full investigation.

There is no way that team is all 16. At least a few of them look 14 or younger.

Yachtzee
08-13-2008, 08:14 PM

I wouldn't doubt it. There's talk about how they had more difficult routines, but sometimes I wonder if the preference for young girls comes not from any inherent physical advantage that they have, but rather the sport's conventional preference for young girls. Kind of circular thinking, but it seems like ever since Olga Korbut and Nadia Comenici arrived on the scene, gymnastics organizations sought younger and younger girls to be the next Olga or Nadia. Yet, it seems there are still a number of women gymnast still able to compete into their 20s and this year they've got a woman in her 30s for the German team. And consider that female acrobats exhibit incredible flexibility well into their 50s and 60s, it makes me wonder if flexibility is really an issue. Could it be that women gymnasts lose a lot of their flexibility from the injuries they suffer as young girls trying to compete at a high level?

That being said, I don't think they'll solve the age problem in women's gymnastics until they make fundamental changes to the sport that favor women over girls. In watching these Olympics, I've noticed the emphasis is on bendy flips and tricks with little focus on strength or grace. In fact, the parallel bars seem to favor smaller girls because they're so close together. The balance beam seems to put women with larger feet at a disadvantage as well.

What's the solution? I'm no expert, but I have a few ideas. Well, for one, they could do things like move the parallel bars farther apart to favor taller women. They could also change events to include some of the apparatuses used by the men (rings or parallel bars) that require more upper body strength. I think such changes would probably be more effective than an age requirement.

TeamSelig
08-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Yeah same thing basically, just caught a glimpse of it. I don't think it is idiotic to make that statement, if true.

Yachtzee
08-13-2008, 11:35 PM
I was watching boxing today and I was wondering, how long until they add MMA as an olympic sport?

Caveat Emperor
08-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I was watching boxing today and I was wondering, how long until they add MMA as an olympic sport?

I thought it was supposed to happen, on a trial basis, in these games? It's only a matter of time -- if they're going to add BMX, they simply have to add MMA, which is more of a sport by any reasonable measurement.

Oh yeah, and BTW -- the Pommel Horse is probably the stupidest event ever.

SunDeck
08-14-2008, 06:57 AM

What makes you say that? I always thought it was kind of an amazing event.
Especially after I learned that it's "Pommel" and not "Pummel". :)

michst
08-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Do you think the new scoring is more confusing or do you care?

improbus
08-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Do you think the new scoring is more confusing or do you care?

It makes more sense because the gymnasts do routines of different difficulty. The athletes should be rewarded for doing more challenging routines.

Chip R
08-14-2008, 12:48 PM
OK, Someone's bitter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-wrestling&prov=reuters&type=lgns

dougdirt
08-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I thought it was supposed to happen, on a trial basis, in these games? It's only a matter of time -- if they're going to add BMX, they simply have to add MMA, which is more of a sport by any reasonable measurement.

I am going to assume you have never truly ridden BMX then. Not that I think either of them is a sport, but BMX racing is much more of a sport than MMA.

Jack Burton
08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I am going to assume you have never truly ridden BMX then. Not that I think either of them is a sport, but BMX racing is much more of a sport than MMA.

How do you figure it is more of a "sport" than MMA? I prefer MMA but also do understand the difficulty involved in BMX racing. What leads you to believe that BMX is superior?

dougdirt
08-14-2008, 01:07 PM
How do you figure it is more of a "sport" than MMA? I prefer MMA but also do understand the difficulty involved in BMX racing. What leads you to believe that BMX is superior?

I see everyone in BMX racing as athletes. I don't see everyone in MMA as athletes. While there are some very good athletes in MMA, there are some that aren't so much. There are 0 non athletes in BMX racing. Just how I see it I guess.

FutureRedsGM
08-14-2008, 01:20 PM
I see everyone in BMX racing as athletes. I don't see everyone in MMA as athletes. While there are some very good athletes in MMA, there are some that aren't so much. There are 0 non athletes in BMX racing. Just how I see it I guess.

A similar discussion came up yesterday amoungst friends asking "who's the better athelete: Tiger or Michael Phelps"?

For me, it's Phelps, hands down. Golf is a SKILL and Tiger is an atheltic person who possesses the greatest golf SKILLS in the world. Swimming is an athletic competition that is currently being dominated by one of the worlds greatest atheletes.

The comparision between BMX and MMA is similar. I see BMX as a skill. It doesn't hurt to be atheletic, but it's not a prerequisite. MMA is pure atheletism trained for specific actions.

Danny Serafini
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
If we're looking at it that way, athleticism isn't a prerequisite for MMA. I could stand in a ring and throw a few punches. I would get destroyed, and not have the slightest chance for success, but I could be a competitor. No different than BMX. I could ride a bike, but without any athleticism I would get destroyed. You can make that basic point about any sport.

KronoRed
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
OK, Someone's bitter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-wrestling&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Any sport decided by judges should be thrown out.

Chip R
08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Any sport decided by judges should be thrown out.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Of course wrestling isn't supposed to be that kind of sport.

Yachtzee
08-14-2008, 02:00 PM
If we're looking at it that way, athleticism isn't a prerequisite for MMA. I could stand in a ring and throw a few punches. I would get destroyed, and not have the slightest chance for success, but I could be a competitor. No different than BMX. I could ride a bike, but without any athleticism I would get destroyed. You can make that basic point about any sport.

Athleticism isn't a prerequisite for a lot of sports. Just look at baseball. Major League bullpens have often been the home of some very unathletic players.

Jack Burton
08-14-2008, 02:37 PM
They need to change the format/rules of Greco Roman Wrestling. Basically they pummel for the first minute and no points are scored. Then it comes down to the coin toss (in the Olympics I guess it's the bag reach) for the par-terre position. Usually the winner of the coin toss (bag reach) will win the round, not always but I'm sure the percentages will back me up on this. You must win two out of the three rounds to win the match. The crazy thing is, if you score last you win the round. You could actually out score your opponent but still lose the match, strange. For example U.S. greco wrestler Jake Deitchler outscored his opponent 5-3 but lost the match. IIRC, Deitchler lost all the coin tosses in that match. He lost the first round 1-1, won the second round 3-1, and lost the third round 1-1. A sport in obvious need of some rule changes.

texasdave
08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
CNNSI is now reporting that the Associated Press is now reporting that the Chinese news agency reported that one of the Chinese female gymnasts is only 13. Anyone else shocked? If those girls were all over 16 we have that answer to one very important question. The location of Munchkin Land is somewhere in China. :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/08/14/underage.gymnasts/index.html

LoganBuck
08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
The US girls looked like Wookies out there compared to the Chinese. Mike Mcconnell read some story on WLW this morning that claimed that the Chinese team used 3 girls that competed at previous events. Two of them had previously been listed as being born in 1994, and the other girls was listed as 1997!

He said the best newspaper headline about it was "An Olympic Hoax - Made in China"

TeamSelig
08-14-2008, 04:00 PM

I have to disagree with this. MMA is basically wrestling/boxing combo in which both require extensive athletic ability.

Reds Fanatic
08-14-2008, 09:22 PM
What a first set in the quaterfinal beach volleyball match. Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh who have won 104 straight matches were in trouble to the team from Belgium. Belgium had 5 different set points but May and Walsh came back to win the set 24-22.

rotnoid
08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
The first set was great, but the second set was just total domination by May/Walsh. They just prove they're that much better than the competition.

vaticanplum
08-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Michael Phelps is a freak.

KronoRed
08-14-2008, 11:07 PM

He be awesome.

I sorta feel sorry for the Hungarian who keeps finishing 2nd, you know he's sick of the US national anthem by now :D

Gainesville Red
08-14-2008, 11:08 PM

Did you read the article about his diet?

Awesome.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008/news/nationalnews/phelps_pig_secret__hes_boy_gorge_124248.htm

GoReds33
08-14-2008, 11:35 PM
I have a quick question about the Chinese girls. If they end up finding evidence that they're not 16, do we, or the second place team, then get the gold medal?

vaticanplum
08-14-2008, 11:55 PM
I have a quick question about the Chinese girls. If they end up finding evidence that they're not 16, do we, or the second place team, then get the gold medal?

That would be a travesty. I hate to say it, but the American gymnastics teams have a history of calling sour grapes. If the Chinese team faked their ages, then they should be punished, but that doesn't change the fact that the American girls choked with a capital everything. The performances they put out do not deserve a gold medal whether the competition was 10 or 20 or 70.

LoganBuck
08-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Chad Johnson says he can beat Michael Phelps in the pool!

vaticanplum
08-15-2008, 12:00 AM

Awesome.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008/news/nationalnews/phelps_pig_secret__hes_boy_gorge_124248.htm

Holy cannoli. This only gives further credence to my theory that his insides are just made of machinery.

RBA
08-15-2008, 12:07 AM
That would be a travesty. I hate to say it, but the American gymnastics teams have a history of calling sour grapes. If the Chinese team faked their ages, then they should be punished, but that doesn't change the fact that the American girls choked with a capital everything. The performances they put out do not deserve a gold medal whether the competition was 10 or 20 or 70.

If that's your opinion, how do you explain them earning a silver? I guess they did not deserve that either.

I say put Michael Phelps in the the Womens swimming. Call him Michelle Phelps. If the other swimmers lose, they deserve it because they did not beat the best swimmer.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-15-2008, 12:14 AM

Awesome.

Yeesh. I couldn't eat that much a day if I wanted to. Talk about dedication.

Anyways, I heard a rumor that his mother is half Swedish, half Dolphin.

GoReds33
08-15-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm watching the gymnastics right now, and these judges are horrible. I'm no expert in gymnastics, but I can tell when somebody screws up. These Chinese girls are making adjustment after adjustment, and still getting high scores.

paintmered
08-15-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm watching the gymnastics right now, and these judges are horrible. I'm no expert in gymnastics, but I can tell when somebody screws up. These Chinese girls are making adjustment after adjustment, and still getting high scores.

I'm quite certain that anyone from a current or formerly communist nation gets an automatic .3 point bonus.

Raisor
08-15-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm quite certain that anyone from a current or formerly communist nation gets an automatic .3 point bonus.

When the workers revolt, the judges want to be on the right side of history.

Gainesville Red
08-15-2008, 12:39 AM
These Chinese girls are making adjustment after adjustments

C'mon, give the girls a break, how good at gymnastics were you when you were 12-years-old?

Chip R
08-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Those Russian gals are very good.

Raisor
08-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Those Russian gals are very good.

I like our Russian

GoReds33
08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
C'mon, give the girls a break, how good at gymnastics were you when you were 12-years-old?:D Good point.

Caveat Emperor
08-15-2008, 01:23 AM
I like our Russian

She was clearly the best gymnast on the floor -- her routines down the stretch were virtually flawless.

And I agree with what other people said about the judging -- there were some VERY questionable marks given to the Chinese team.

HeatherC1212
08-15-2008, 01:38 AM
I am SOOOO happy for Nastia and Shawn right now that I'm going to ignore how the judges were completely on crack for some of their scores tonight. :eek:

I REALLY wanted Nastia to win and I don't think the fact that she's actually won has really set in yet! She was incredible and I'm SO happy for her! :D What an amazing night of gymnastics, much better than the men's mess last night! You go girls!!!! US goes 1-2 for the first time EVER!!! :jump:

improbus
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Is anyone else pumped for Track and Field?. I can only take so much swimming. The World Records are kind of a joke at this point because of the technological advances in their suits. This seems to be be the case less in track. There haven't been advances in shoe technology that have obliterated every record on the books. There are track records that have stood for a decade (and some long distance that have stood even longer). Swimming records last one race at this point.

Matt700wlw
08-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I like our Russian

Indeed. :)

vaticanplum
08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
If that's your opinion, how do you explain them earning a silver? I guess they did not deserve that either.

That's not an opinion; they choked big-time, with all of them falling apart progressively as the competition went on until all of them made major errors on the final apparatus (floor). For better or worse, they saved their best for the all-around competition.

The reason pulled off the silver is because unfortunately the level of women's gymnastics isn't terribly high worldwide right now, and their poor showing still happened to be a lot better than all the other teams but one.

They did great last night though. Their scores were fair. There was one routine by a Chinese girl that I thought was overmarked (on the beam), but the Americans were not undermarked. I called Nastia Liukin to win this a couple of years ago, because I am psychic when it comes to winners of any sport where the competitors wear blue eyeshadow.

I'm ready for track and field too.

letsgojunior
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
That's not an opinion; they choked big-time, with all of them falling apart progressively as the competition went on until all of them made major errors on the final apparatus (floor). For better or worse, they saved their best for the all-around competition.

The reason pulled off the silver is because unfortunately the level of women's gymnastics isn't terribly high worldwide right now, and their poor showing still happened to be a lot better than all the other teams but one.

They did great last night though. Their scores were fair. There was one routine by a Chinese girl that I thought was overmarked (on the beam), but the Americans were not undermarked. I called Nastia Liukin to win this a couple of years ago, because I am psychic when it comes to winners of any sport where the competitors wear blue eyeshadow.

I'm ready for track and field too.

While I do agree the American women choked, I don't agree they all made major errors on floor. Only the first gymnast, Sacramone, fell (0.8 deduction). On the other hand, Johnson and Luikin only stepped with one foot out of bounds, which is an extremely minor deduction (0.1 deduction), at a point where the competition had already been decided based on start values.

Nevertheless, if one fall coupled with several 0.1 deductions is used as the barometer for choking, then the Chinese also choked. The first Chinese gymnast on beam fell off, and the next two gymnasts had major balance checks throughout the routine (0.1 deductions each). The Chinese opened the door on balance beam and unfortunately the Americans couldn't come through, but the Chinese were not exactly the model of stability in the team competition. By the time they got to the floor exercise, their lead was enough so that the only thing they had to do was actually perform the floor exercise routine (even if they fell, it didn't matter).

Also, I don't necessarily agree that the Chinese should keep the gold medal just because they had one less fall than the Americans. Based on my viewing, the difficulty score is the much more significant component of the overall score than the execution score, because the judges appear to be refusing to award anything above around a 9.5 in execution. This was very apparent on vault last night, when Luikin had absolutely no visible errors, yet received a very low total score because her vault wasn't particularly hard and a full half-point deduction was made in execution despite the fact that even Tim Daggett (gymnastic gold medalist) said that if he conferred with the judges he didn't think they could substantiate that deduction.

So, if it's true that several members of the Chinese team are under 16, I think the key question is how much their start value would be affected. Conceivably, the Chinese are not putting allegedly underage children on their team for sport, but because they are the best gymnasts they have. If that's so, it would be interesting to compare how much the start value would be changed, and whether that would appreciably affect competition (and it's very possible it would - consider that one of the allegedly underage gymnasts has a 7.7 start value on bars).

So, I'm not sure that I agree that the Chinese should not be stripped of their gold based on the fact that they had 1 fall rather than 2, and didn't step out bounds on floor (but again had numerous balance checks on beam), without considering start value at all, which appears to be the more important component of judging now.

FWIW, I also think it's a tremendous advantage to be under 16 for several reasons. First, based on their extensive training, the girls likely haven't hit puberty yet, are shorter, and are more flexible. Second, and I think this is key, a young child of 12-14 years likely does not recognize the pressure to the same extent as someone who is 19-20, in my view.

Hoosier Red
08-15-2008, 01:40 PM
That can swing both ways though. The 12 year old is facing pressure for the first time which can be good and bad.

I think to let the Americans off the hook, they likely wouldn't have won even with excellent routines.

Jpup
08-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Natasia Liukin is my hero. She actually had me watching gymnastics and enjoying it. Amazing performance.

Reds Fanatic
08-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Wow. Phelps wins again. It looked like he was going to possibly just finish 2nd and he wins by 1/100th of a second. Phelps swims 50.58 to just beat Cavic who swam in 50.59

GoReds33
08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I can't believe my eyes. Michael Phelps is the greatest Olympian ever, and it's not even close. That was the greatest race I have ever seen. As RF said, he looked like he was going to finish second, but a last second lunge pulled out the gold for him.

SandyD
08-15-2008, 10:24 PM
#7 USA women's foil team beat #2 Poland

Reds Fanatic
08-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Interesting. The Serbian team is filing a protest about the end of the Phelps race. I am not sure what they can protest about the results from an electronic touch pad.

letsgojunior
08-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Interesting. The Serbian team is filing a protest about the end of the Phelps race. I am not sure what they can protest about the results from an electronic touch pad.

I was just wondering the same thing. Any thoughts?

FWIW, Cavic trash talked Phelps quite a bit before the race and said it would be good for swimming if he beat Phelps.

Reds Fanatic
08-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Even as Phelps is getting his medal there are about 5 officials looking closely at a monitor to examine something about the race.

GoReds33
08-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Even as Phelps is getting his medal there are about 5 officials looking closely at a monitor to examine something about the race.Still, if it's a touchpad device, how can they overrule that?

Reds Fanatic
08-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Forget the protest. The swimming officals are not even accepting the protest. The overhead cameras show Phelps touching first so it is official Phelps wins.

LoganBuck
08-15-2008, 10:54 PM

The results stand.

The Serbians also think Adam Dunn strikes out to much. Geeks with computers are evil.

LoganBuck
08-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Dara Torres smokes the field in the Womens 50m Freestyle prelim.

She holds up the race's start because she noticed another competitors suit was ripped.

Chip R
08-15-2008, 11:04 PM
#7 USA women's foil team beat #2 Poland

Foiled again, eh? ;)

Matt700wlw
08-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Phelps gave me chills....I don't get chills watching people swim...that is magical!

letsgojunior
08-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Super slow-mo on the finish - I think this confirms it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12409893&postcount=10891

Matt700wlw
08-16-2008, 02:28 AM
WOW

OldRightHander
08-16-2008, 10:52 AM
US looking impressive, but still sloppy at times against Spain. 18 point lead approaching halftime.

OldRightHander
08-16-2008, 02:22 PM
US Water Polo has just knocked off the number 1 Croatians by two goals. Not quite Miracle on Ice caliber, but still pretty exciting.

jmcclain19
08-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I watched the opening ceremonies with my wife and came away absolutely impressed.

Then of course like clockwork stories like this keep seeping out into the media

China used a "pretty" 9 year old to lip sync the national anthem while another 7 year old girl they didn't deem camera friendly actually sung it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7556058.stm

And it was too smoggy to actually fire off fireworks on opening night - so they used CGI and NBC just plugged it into the coverage. They didn't actually shoot off any fireworks.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2534499/Beijing-Olympic-2008-opening-ceremony-giant-firework-footprints-faked.html

I wonder what other parts of the games has been a total facade?

Blimpie
08-16-2008, 07:35 PM
I watched the opening ceremonies with my wife and came away absolutely impressed.

Then of course like clockwork stories like this keep seeping out into the media

China used a "pretty" 9 year old to lip sync the national anthem while another 7 year old girl they didn't deem camera friendly actually sung it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7556058.stm

And it was too smoggy to actually fire off fireworks on opening night - so they used CGI and NBC just plugged it into the coverage. They didn't actually shoot off any fireworks.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2534499/Beijing-Olympic-2008-opening-ceremony-giant-firework-footprints-faked.html

I wonder what other parts of the games has been a total facade?Not that this made the Opening Ceremonies broadcast or anything, but did anyone read the NY Times article about the girl who was scheduled to be the featured dancer during the event?

Apparently, she was the best dancer of her kind in all of China. So much, in fact, that she was to be the only "solo" dancer to perform during the program.

During one of the last rehearsals before the Opening Ceremony, she accidentally fell down some 11 foot deep cylindrical shaft and landed on her back and head. When the girl regained consciousness, she learned she would be paralized for life.

If that were not enough of a tragedy, the Chinese government AND the Olympic planners forbade anyone to breath news of the tragedy. The Opening Ceremonies telecast came and went without so much as a whisper about her accident.

The only reason that the NY Times got the story was because one of the girl's family members leaked the story to the U.S. media.

jmcclain19
08-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Not that this made the Opening Ceremonies broadcast or anything, but did anyone read the NY Times article about the girl who was scheduled to be the featured dancer during the event?

Apparently, she was the best dancer of her kind in all of China. So much, in fact, that she was to be the only "solo" dancer to perform during the program.

During one of the last rehearsals before the Opening Ceremony, she accidentally fell down some 11 foot deep cylindrical shaft and landed on her back and head. When the girl regained consciousness, she learned she would be paralized for life.

If that were not enough of a tragedy, the Chinese government AND the Olympic planners forbade anyone to breath news of the tragedy. The Opening Ceremonies telecast came and went without so much as a whisper about her accident.

The only reason that the NY Times got the story was because one of the girl's family members leaked the story to the U.S. media.

I hadn't heard that - I had to dig up the link and read it. What a tragic story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/sports/olympics/15dancer.html

Patrick Bateman
08-16-2008, 10:57 PM
4 medals for Canada now suckers! In one day!

The comeback is on.

Matt700wlw
08-16-2008, 11:05 PM
It's almost time for the Michael Phelps show....again :)

Matt700wlw
08-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Wow....just wow. I think he set ANOTHER world record

Reds Fanatic
08-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Amazing. 8 gold medals for Phelps. Will probably never be duplicated.

laxtonto
08-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Phelph's might be the best and most dominant athlete i have ever seen in any sport. I tip my hat to the man...

SandyD
08-16-2008, 11:28 PM
USA Men's Sabre team (7th seed) beat Hungary (2nd seed)

HotCorner
08-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Usain Bolt is a freak!! He's 6'5" and won the 100m sprint shattering the WR with a 9.68. Oh and he let up with about 20m to go. The guy made it look too easy. :eek:

Chip R
08-17-2008, 12:09 AM
I think with all Michael Phelps has accomplished he deserves this.

http://www.ram.org/misc/awards/burnsaward.jpg

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm no swimming expert but Michael Phelps can swim a little.

KronoRed
08-17-2008, 02:52 AM
I hope he comes back in 4 years.

TeamSelig
08-17-2008, 03:04 AM
in order...

Michael Phelps
Chuck Norris
Jim Coombs
Chris Denorfia

Caveat Emperor
08-17-2008, 03:08 AM
After reading about Michael Phelps' diet that my problem isn't so much that I eat too much but rather that I swim too little.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-17-2008, 03:12 AM
I'll be impressed when he wins one of these things blindfolded!

Oh, he swam a race with his goggles full of water? I guess that's kind of impressive...

KronoRed
08-17-2008, 03:48 AM
After reading about Michael Phelps' diet that my problem isn't so much that I eat too much but rather that I swim too little.

Just need to swim 8 hours a day and you can live at McDonalds :thumbup:

texasdave
08-17-2008, 07:01 AM
You simply can not make this stuff up.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/shooting/news/newsid=224611.html#emmons+misses+chinas+qiu+jian+w ins

BEIJING (AP) - For the second straight Olympics, Matt Emmons lost a gold medal with a stunning mistake on the final shot.

The American was in front Sunday in the 50-meter 3-position rifle and needed to come only somewhere close to the center of the target. But his gun went off accidentally on his final attempt, and he made just 4.4 of a possible 10.9 points.:eek: China's QIU Jian ended with the gold.

Four years ago, Emmons had a big lead in this same event, then shot at the wrong target on his final attempt and ended with no medal at all. :eek:

He dropped to fourth this time. Yuriy SUKHORUKOV of Ukraine won the silver and Rajmond Debevec took the bronze.

A score of less than 8.0 is considered unusually bad in this event. As it turned out, Emmons would have needed only a 6.7 on the last shot to win. He said his gun fired as he was lowering it to focus on the middle of the target.

"I got on the trigger a little too hard. I didn't feel my trigger shaking but I guess it was," Emmons said. "It just hit the trigger, the gun went off and I was like, 'Uh, that's not going to be good.'"

Emmons was consoled by his wife, Katerina Emmons of the Czech Republic. The two met in Athens four years ago, when she went to offer support after his gaffe there.

http://images.beijing2008.cn/20080412/Img214303492.jpg :beerme:

"He's definitely the best standing shooter out there," she said Sunday. "If he can still end up fourth with a 4.4 on the last shot, that's a hell of a shooter."

Emmons won the gold medal in prone rifle in 2004 and the silver in that event in Beijing.

SunDeck
08-17-2008, 08:00 AM
I'll be impressed when he wins one of these things blindfolded!

Oh, he swam a race with his goggles full of water? I guess that's kind of impressive...

When Spitz won his seven gold, no one wore goggles. I remember swimming competitively back in the seventies- my eyes were always red.

SunDeck
08-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Amazing. 8 gold medals for Phelps. Will probably never be duplicated.

Unless he does it in London.

Yachtzee
08-17-2008, 09:35 AM
When Spitz won his seven gold, no one wore goggles. I remember swimming competitively back in the seventies- my eyes were always red.

Spitz also did it with a full head of hair and a mustache, didn't he?

SunDeck
08-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Spitz also did it with a full head of hair and a mustache, didn't he?

But everyone else did (imagine the drag those sideburns create), and no one wore goggles, IIRC.

I have been absolutely riveted by the swimming this year, thanks to Phelps and the rest of the team's performances. It's always been my favorite sport, but this takes me back to the first Olympics I really remember, the 1972 games. The effect on me was dramatic; I went from a seven year old who liked swim team to a seven year old who was going to compete in the Olympics. Of course, it didn't quite work out that way, but I am just as jazzed about swimming now as I was as a kid way back then.
In fact, I'm going to the IU pool today to challenge anyone over 40 to a fifty meter freestyle sprint!

KronoRed
08-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Unless he does it in London.

I'd like to see him add an event or two and go for more.

Tommyjohn25
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know of a link that I can watch Phelps and the rest of the guys vs France relay event? I can't seem to find it anywhere on teh internets.

RBA
08-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know of a link that I can watch Phelps and the rest of the guys vs France relay event? I can't seem to find it anywhere on teh internets.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0817_hd_swb_hl_l1681r1&channelcode=sportsw

Whoops, wrong one. Try this one:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0811_hd_swb_hl_l0194&channelcode=sportsw

Tommyjohn25
08-17-2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0817_hd_swb_hl_l1681r1&channelcode=sportsw

Whoops, wrong one. Try this one:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0811_hd_swb_hl_l0194&channelcode=sportsw

Muchas Gracias! I missed the race when it happened (watching "The Dark Knight") and I had not seen anything more than the highlights until now. What a race!

RFS62
08-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Beanball war going on between USA and China right now. 6 hbp's, Matt LaPorta dinged in the neck. Lefevbre and pitcher ejected.

Blimpie
08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Beanball war going on between USA and China right now. 6 hbp's, Matt LaPorta dinged in the neck. Lefevbre and pitcher ejected.What I saw today was far worse than what yielded a warning during last night's Reds game.

I am certain that a few USA players contemplated charging the mound, but given the critical mass of local attendees--thought better of it.

:D

MWM
08-18-2008, 10:07 PM
One of the reasons I've never been the Olympics enthusiast some others are is I just can't get behind "judging" sports. I'd rather there be competition amongst individuals or teams where it's a direct competition. I just can't take too seriously competitions where the winners and losers are based on judging by so-called experts. At the top levels of most of these things, the difference between the top and the next level is so minute that even the most trained eye can't remove personal bias. Every Olympics too many people are screwed by bad judging. The most blatant I've ever seen other than Roy Jones is Nancy Kerrigan being passed over by Oksana Baiul. And American boxers are pretty much screwed every Olympics. It's too bad because I do enjoy watching the amazing skill of some of these athletes. I just can't handle the judges.

Betterread
08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
One of the reasons I've never been the Olympics enthusiast some others are is I just can't get behind "judging" sports. I'd rather there be competition amongst individuals or teams where it's a direct competition. I just can't take too seriously competitions where the winners and losers are based on judging by so-called experts. At the top levels of most of these things, the difference between the top and the next level is so minute that even the most trained eye can't remove personal bias. Every Olympics too many people are screwed by bad judging. The most blatant I've ever seen other than Roy Jones is Nancy Kerrigan being passed over by Oksana Baiul. And American boxers are pretty much screwed every Olympics. It's too bad because I do enjoy watching the amazing skill of some of these athletes. I just can't handle the judges.
Spot on. Another problem with some of the Olympic events is that it is financial and technological investments that are the winning indicators.
To me, the pure Olympic sports are track and field. Jamaica is not a rich country. Usain Bolt won the medal because he was the fastest. No equipment advantage, no training advantage, just athletic ability and competitive desire at its purest. For all the Phelps accomplishments, he is the story of the games for me to this point.

MasonBuzz3
08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Call me crazy but after watching Bolt run, I find him a little more impressive than Phelps. Phelps dominated for sure, but it just looks like Bolt is going through the motions and still putting up phenomenal times

MasonBuzz3
08-18-2008, 11:01 PM
the Yahoo! Olympic blog had something about the judging and what the "real medal count" would be sans any sports with judging
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/The-REAL-Olympic-medal-count?urn=oly,101537

Betterread
08-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Call me crazy but after watching Bolt run, I find him a little more impressive than Phelps. Phelps dominated for sure, but it just looks like Bolt is going through the motions and still putting up phenomenal times

Agreed. Bolt won't make the Today show, but I never heard so much praise for a fellow competitor as I did for Bolt.

KronoRed
08-18-2008, 11:26 PM
the Yahoo! Olympic blog had something about the judging and what the "real medal count" would be sans any sports with judging
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/The-REAL-Olympic-medal-count?urn=oly,101537
Interestiing.

I'd love to see someone go back and take a look at all summer and winter games and take out sports with judges, I'm betting the host country would always take the biggest hit in the medal count.

MasonBuzz3
08-18-2008, 11:49 PM
if there were 8 different "strokes" for Bolt to run the sprints in, I would think that he would be favored to duplicated Phelps. Not to knock Phelps, possibly the best swimmer ever.

Yachtzee
08-19-2008, 12:04 AM
I find it amazing that baseball and softball have issues maintaining Olympic status and yet they keep adding judging sports with little following outside a hardcore group of fans (trampoline? really?). I suppose baseball would be better off if they did what hockey does and take two weeks off for the Olympics, but MLB will never do that. Of course I don't see a problem with sending minor leaguers and select veterans either, considering how the teams for Olympic soccer are constructed.

I'd like to see golf as an Olympic sport as well. Golf is one of those sports where you have talented athletes from just about every continent and it has a much bigger following than say, equestrian events, but is not in the Olympics.

But my main problem right now is, why no ties in Gymnastics? I can understand not wanting to have ties, but when just about every other event allows ties, it seems unfair to have convoluted tie breakers in Gymnastics. It seems like a sport ripe for scandal, either through use of underage athletes or irregularities in judging.

MWM
08-19-2008, 12:31 AM
I've always heard about the Roy Jones Jr fight, but I had never watched it before. I just went and watched it on youtube. All I can say is WOW! I don't know how anyone could ever take Olympic boxing seriously again after that. Seriously. Roy Jones beat the crap out the Korean boxer. It was almost like he was just toying with the guy.

MWM
08-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Just found this on Wiki:

Later scoring indicates that Jones landed 86 punches to Park's 32.[2] Allegedly, Park himself apologized to Jones afterwards.[2] One judge shortly thereafter admitted the decision was a mistake, and all three judges voting for Park were eventually suspended.[1] Many observers[1][3] still believe the judges were either bribed or otherwise coerced to vote for the local fighter by Korean officials. The official IOC investigation concluding in 1997 found that 3 of the judges were wined and dined by Korean officials,[2] but the IOC still officially stands by the decision.

registerthis
08-19-2008, 10:56 AM
But my main problem right now is, why no ties in Gymnastics? I can understand not wanting to have ties, but when just about every other event allows ties, it seems unfair to have convoluted tie breakers in Gymnastics. It seems like a sport ripe for scandal, either through use of underage athletes or irregularities in judging.

I've never really cared much for gymnastics (in the Olympics, that is--the competitors are phenomenal athletes, but I detest the judging aspect of the sport), but I found myself getting quite agitated over this arcane scoring system they have that views two gymnasts who receive identical scores as, somehow, not identical. I thought Nastia handled the situation very gracefully, but she should have been standing on the gold medal platform along with He.

HeatherC1212
08-19-2008, 11:46 AM

There were ties in the past but the IOC decided they didn't want any ties in gymnastics anymore so they came up with these convolunted tie breaking procedures that no one can figure out and even the competitors and coaches struggle with understanding them. They started the 'no tie' rules after the Atlanta Olympics but these new tie breaker rules apparently came into play in 2004. I'm extremely glad Nastia has her AA gold because that bar final would have been complete and total heartbreak if she didn't all ready have one gold medal from earlier in the competition. :(

SunDeck
08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't know how you have gymnastics without judges. The problem seems now to be with the quality of the judging, not the judging itself. After all, the elements have to be performed a certain way or there is no credit. If anything, it would be an improvement to judge less by style and "virtuosity" than by simply whether or not an athlete actually accomplishes the element she has attempted.

As for there being no ties, well that's just stupid, stupid, stupid. Both women (a term I use loosely for that little pixie from China, by the way) performed well but didn't nail their programs. From where the entire viewing world sat, that thing looked like a tie. But in their inexplicable desire to make sure there are no ties, the IOC throws out another score and reduced the judging to three scores. Three scores from people who quite possibly don't know what they are doing.
Brilliant.

FlightRick
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I'd like to see golf as an Olympic sport as well. Golf is one of those sports where you have talented athletes from just about every continent and it has a much bigger following than say, equestrian events, but is not in the Olympics.

Golf *was* an Olympic event for at least 1 or 2 years in the early 1900s (found that out while wasting approximately 5 hours of my life on sports-reference.com/olympics/ last weekend; some pretty fascinating stuff there).

I'd imagine the reasons it isn't anymore are two-fold: first, every single problem you have with baseball, soccer, and formerly with basketball and hockey would exist with golf. The professional infrastructures of those sports are such that the best in the world already interact on a regular basis and do so for enormous sums of money. Trying to force a false sense of importance of a non-paying gold medal over a payday in the Cadillac Starbucks Verizon Upper-Middle Class Tosser Invitational at Wuthering Pines simply isn't gonna work. The Olympics work best as the single holy grail for the types of sports that don't have that infrastucture or fanbase except for once every four years.

Then there's second issue, which is semi-related, that we see in tennis: again, there's a mental block in terms of an Olympic medal being meaningful (though that finally seems to be changing with this Olympics). But secondly, the allocation of spots in the field are done in such a way that the field will just be exceptionally top-heavy and not a true representation of the Best In The World. If each country can only enter two players, and we all know that Russia alone has about 5 screaming banshees in the top 10 in the world, then how excited are we going to be when they have to leave half the world's top 20 out in order to make sure the powerhouse nation of Chad is represented? Same thing (to the best of my knowledge) would happen with golf, just with it being the U.S. that would be criminally under-represented.

But my main problem right now is, why no ties in Gymnastics? I can understand not wanting to have ties, but when just about every other event allows ties, it seems unfair to have convoluted tie breakers in Gymnastics.

There's no earthly reason I can think of for there not to be ties in individual event finals. There simply isn't enough "input" (2 scores -- difficulty and execution -- times 4 judges) into the scoring system to create tie-breaks that can be guaranteed to be meaningful, instead of the product of human error (which is clearly what happened on the bars). Let there be ties, and let there be shared medals in these cases.

That said: ties are distasteful, and I applaud efforts to reduce or eliminate them if it's done in a sensible and expedient fashion. I don't know *what* the tie-breaks are for gymnastics in team and/or all-around events, but I do know that there *is* plenty of scoring input (2 scores times 4 judges times 4 -- or 6, in the case of men -- events times 3 gymnasts) that *should* be able to make those events "tie-breakable" in a meaningful fashion, and thus, I think they should be. Sure, there's a greater chance that one of these scores will be a case of human error, but that error is marginalized by only being 1/48th or 1/72nd of the final tally, instead of 1/4th. No reason to ever be a tie in a team or all-around.

I think this ability to tie-break meaningfully exists in most sports, or at least, in the majority of them. Then again, I'm the kind of philistine who finds soccer boring enough as it is that it doesn't need ties working against it, too, so I think penalty kicks are the greatest and most exciting thing in the world when games come down to that, even though every soccer purist I know vomits in horror when a "beautifully played game of football" is decided by such a fluke. Get over yourselves, hippies!!!!!!

Your mileage may vary...

Rick

15fan
08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Bela Karolyi needs his own tv show.

And McCain or Obama could lock up the race for the White House simply by naming Michael Phelps as running mate.

registerthis
08-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Golf *was* an Olympic event for at least 1 or 2 years in the early 1900s (found that out while wasting approximately 5 hours of my life on sports-reference.com/olympics/ last weekend; some pretty fascinating stuff there).

My all-time favorite discontinued Olympic sport is the "Plunge For Distance," which involved someone diving off of a platform from a standing position, and then drifting--not unlike a corpse--underneath the water, without moving a muscle, for as long as they could. Your distance was marked after either 60 seconds, or when your head emerges from the water.

It was held during the 1904 olympics in Paris. Five contestants participated, and all were Americans who swam at the NYC Swim Club. Not surprisingly, the Americans swept the medals and the event was discontinued by 1908.

My friends and I used to inadvertently plunge for distance off the high dive at the pool all the time. If only we'd been born a century earlier, we might have been able to have olympic careers.

OldRightHander
08-19-2008, 04:37 PM
but she should have been standing on the gold medal platform along with He.

:dunno:

Chip R
08-19-2008, 04:54 PM
:dunno:

This could turn into Who's on First. Or in this case He's on First. :)

Betterread
08-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Did anyone see the soccer semi between Argentina and Brazil? A Big game.
Brazil had 2 bad goal calls (argentina hand ball not called for a goal and Brazil goal called offside was wrong) even so Argentina finished effectively and Lionel Messi had a huge impact by drawing (forcing?) Anderson to mark him all over the midfield. It was weird seeing Brazil sacrifice a few midfielders (they did something similiar with Riquelme) to a marking role. It didn't help that Ronaldinho didn't show that much - has he fallen from the elite level?

SandyD
08-19-2008, 10:58 PM
USA vs Japan softball scoreless in the bot 6th

Winner advances to gold medal game

SandyD
08-19-2008, 11:58 PM
ok ... the women just went up 4-0 heading into the bottom 9

NYMoose
08-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Anyone for throwing the javelin?

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/The-hot-Paraguayan-goes-cold-at-Olympics?urn=oly,101791

Highlifeman21
08-20-2008, 11:32 AM

At least she's legal, so you shouldn't feel bad about it.

Now if you had a thing for Shawn Johnson, that would be completely different.

OldRightHander
08-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Watching some of the gymnastics in a truck stop tv lounge the other day I heard a trucker say, "I hope she's 18."

Highlifeman21
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!

Don't click on this if you want to watch the Men's 200M Final tonight.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=qWbbXvbPq08

BuckeyeRed27
08-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Bolt is just on another level. Too bad for the guys that got DQd...those lanes aren't that wide.

cumberlandreds
08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Sounds like Matt Treanor is going to have a busy off season. ;)
Congrtas to these gals. They were/are the best in the world. It's hard win at anything 108 times in a row.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/beach_volleyball/news;_ylt=AmXvKlW6nWzPscLnVaSy0MI5nYcB?slug=cr-beachvball082108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

texasdave
08-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Both the US Men's and Women's 4 x 100 relay teams dropped the baton during the prelims. Neither team will be in the finals. Is it just me or has the United States historically had trouble getting the baton around the track?

rotnoid
08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
rough year for the track team in general. I agree though, it seems I remember a lot of dropped batons through out the years

MasonBuzz3
08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
not a good day for the US softball team, tough way to go out in the last Olympics for the sport

Blimpie
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
The ultrasound footage has now been reviewed. The most decorated Chinese gymnast should still be riding in a booster seat...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,407803,00.html

Report: Hacker Uncovers Proof Chinese Gymnast Is Underage
Thursday , August 21, 2008

A determined U.S. computer expert has delved into cached pages on the Internet to unearth Chinese official documents showing a gymnast who took gold in the uneven bars competition, edging the U.S.'s Nastia Liukin, may indeed be underage.

Controversy over whether He Kexin is under the minimum age of 16 has surrounded her participation in the Beijing Olympics. The latest challenge over the age of the tiny Olympian comes from the discovery through a cyberspace maze of Chinese official documents listing her date of birth.

She may not look as if she has reached the minimum competing age of 16, but China said her passport, issued in February, gives her birthday as Jan. 1, 1992. The International Olympic Committee said proof from her passport is good enough.

The latest unofficial investigation was carried out by computer security expert for the Intrepidus Group, whose site, Stryde Hax, revealed a detailed forensic search for He’s age.

First he simply tried Google, only to find that an official listing by the Chinese sports administration that had given her age could no longer be accessed. Then he tried the Google cache, only to find that He’s name had been removed.

Finally, he tried the cache of Chinese search engine Baidu. There, he found that Baidu lists two spreadsheets in He's name, both giving her date of birth as January 1, 1994 — making her 14 years and 220 days old and too young to compete at the Beijing games.

The lists were compiled by the General Administration of Sport of China.

Even before anyone arrived in Beijing, American media investigations accused China of fielding three athletes below the 16-year-old minimum age threshold. Bela Karolyi, the former U.S. head coach, then reheated the issue by claiming that China “are using half-people” and that their flouting of the regulations was so obvious that “these people think we are stupid.”

Liukin, who finished second to He in the uneven bars final would be elevated to the gold medal position should He be disqualified. Britain's Beth Twiddle, who finished in fourth place, would be elevated to the bronze.

“My real age is 16," He said when asked by journalists about the debate. "I don’t care what other people say. I want other people to know that 16 is my real age.” When asked how she spent her 15th birthday, she paused and then said: “I was with my team. It was an ordinary day.”

Just nine months before the Olympics, the Chinese government’s Xinhua news agency gave He’s age as 13. Officials have since dismissed that report, saying Xinhua had never been given her age and made a mistake.

“Much of the coverage regarding Kexin’s age has only mentioned ‘allegations’ of fraud, and the IOC has ignored the matter completely," said Stryde, who was later named by Information Week as Mike Walker. "I believe that these primary documents, issued by the Chinese state ... rise to a level of evidence higher than ‘allegation.’”

It could certainly make a difference to Britain's Tweddle, who at 23 and relatively old for a gymnast may not be able to compete in the 2012 Olympic games in London.

improbus
08-21-2008, 06:43 PM
As amazing as Phelps was, I was captivated by Bolt. The crowd, the name, the tension, and the speed were intoxicating. Swimming can't compete with any of those things.

klw
08-21-2008, 06:47 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4582421.ece

Here's an interesting scene about um "activities" in the Olympic Village.

Yachtzee
08-21-2008, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE]“My real age is 16," He said when asked by journalists about the debate. "I don’t care what other people say. I want other people to know that 16 is my real age.” When asked how she spent her 15th birthday, she paused and then said: “I was with my team. It was an ordinary day.”

It turns out she's not really a girl at all, but a robot.

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Job/SmallWonder_16018_0001.jpg