PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Anyone else surprised by the lack of talk of him approaching 300 career wins? After a win last night he's now at 293 career wins. He's probably only got another eight or nine starts remaining this season so it's doubtful he'll reach 300 this year, but he's now pretty much a lock to reach 300 next season unless he blows his arm or back out. While he's no longer his dominant self he's still a pretty darn good pitcher for a guy who will turn 45 on September 10th. For the season he's got a 4.35 ERA in 118 innings and has a strong 29 BB/107 K ratio. Not bad. Not only is he coming up on 300 career wins but he's also got a decent chance at 5,000 strikeouts if he can pitch another year or two. He's currently got 4,723 strikeouts and should end the season with around 4,780 strikeouts if he maintains his current pace. He's no longer a 220 strikeout guy so he won't reach that mark next season but if he chooses to pitch another two years he'll reach 5,000 K's IMO.

This guy has been incredible to watch over the years. I'd still take Pedro in his prime over Randy though...

camisadelgolf
08-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm absolutely amazed at how his command and control has advanced throughout the years. Homer Bailey doesn't have his slider, but because of the progress players like Johnson can make, I'm not ready to give up on Bailey at just 22 years old.

I agree with you on Pedro > Randy, by the way.

4256 Hits
08-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Anyone else surprised by the lack of talk of him approaching 300 career wins?

You answered your own question.

so it's doubtful he'll reach 300 this year

There is going to be little talk about any milestone (unless it is all time record) that is at least 10 months away. I don't see him getting 300 until late May early Jun.