PDA

View Full Version : Hairston Hurt (Again)

reds44
08-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Jeff Keppinger SS
Joey Votto 1B
Jay Bruce RF
Brandon Phillips 2B
Adam Dunn LF
Edwin Encarnacion 3B
Corey Patterson CF
Paul Bako C
Josh Fogg P

Jerrry Hairston looked like he was favoring hisw hamstring when he went after a ball late in last night's game. Dusty Baker said he was going to check with Hairston. I completely forgot to write it after the game. I'll update after we talk to Baker.
From Fay.

WVRedsFan
08-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Ah yes. Hairston gets hurt and who shows up in CF? Patterson. Leave the man with his toys and he'll use them. At least he's batting 7th just before his pitiful sidekick Bako.

Fogg on the mound, Patterson in center, and Bako behind the plate. Looks like it's going to be a 6 on 9 game tonight. :eek:

Spring~Fields
08-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Risky move to have him running around center with a history of leg injuries. Dusty went against his own theories this time.

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I LOVE Joey Votto in the second slot. This is long overdue IMO. My only gripe is Phillips and Dunn should be flip flopped.

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 03:46 PM
From Paul Daugherty:

Anyone Else Notice and What Does It Matter?
Posted 8/2/2008 9:41 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

J. Hairston (or if you're G. Grande, "J. Harris-ton'') grabs the back of his leg about 60 feet down the 1st base line trying to beat out a roller... pulls up, runs half-speed the rest of the way... guy just coming off the DL w/a hamstring... jogs gingerly back to the dugout... nobody says a thing.

Dusty stares straight ahead at the field... didnt he notice Harris-ton running right in front of him, down the line? No teammate approaches Hairston, no trainer. Obvious he tweaked it, obvious he's important to the club.

Not sure what this means. It just struck me as strange, and, maybe, symbolic of this team's lackadaisical approach.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3 Post%3a6cdeeb28-e78a-4f43-9881-34c1cadb41b7&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Raisor
08-02-2008, 03:47 PM
The problem with flip flopping Phillips and Dunn is that I'd bet that the GIDPs would got through the roof.

I've said it before, but OBP problems or not, Phillips should be leading off.

RedsManRick
08-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Ah yes. Hairston gets hurt and who shows up in CF? Patterson. Leave the man with his toys and he'll use them. At least he's batting 7th just before his pitiful sidekick Bako.

Fogg on the mound, Patterson in center, and Bako behind the plate. Looks like it's going to be a 6 on 9 game tonight. :eek:

Looking at the depth chart, Dusty doesn't exactly have many options. Would you rather Andy Phillips in RF and Bruce in CF? I'm certainly no Patterson fan, but I'd take him in CF over Phillips in RF.

The Baumer
08-02-2008, 03:48 PM
From Paul Daugherty:

Anyone Else Notice and What Does It Matter?
Posted 8/2/2008 9:41 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

J. Hairston (or if you're G. Grande, "J. Harris-ton'') grabs the back of his leg about 60 feet down the 1st base line trying to beat out a roller... pulls up, runs half-speed the rest of the way... guy just coming off the DL w/a hamstring... jogs gingerly back to the dugout... nobody says a thing.

Dusty stares straight ahead at the field... didnt he notice Harris-ton running right in front of him, down the line? No teammate approaches Hairston, no trainer. Obvious he tweaked it, obvious he's important to the club.

Not sure what this means. It just struck me as strange, and, maybe, symbolic of this team's lackadaisical approach.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3 Post%3a6cdeeb28-e78a-4f43-9881-34c1cadb41b7&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

There was also that figure on the grassy knoll. Surprised no one noticed that.

Kc61
08-02-2008, 03:52 PM
At this point in the season I would expect that Jocketty is fully in control of the roster, not Baker. So if Patterson is the backup centerfielder, that's Walt's decision and it's obvious that Dusty would now use him. Without Griffey and with Hairston hurt there aren't that many outfielders, let alone centerfielders.

Those hamstrings are murderous injuries in sports, they can linger and linger. Too bad but you'd have to guess that Hairston will miss some more time.

It's basically 2009, if not 2010 right now anyway for the Reds.

redsmetz
08-02-2008, 04:17 PM
At this point in the season I would expect that Jocketty is fully in control of the roster, not Baker. So if Patterson is the backup centerfielder, that's Walt's decision and it's obvious that Dusty would now use him. Without Griffey and with Hairston hurt there aren't that many outfielders, let alone centerfielders.

Those hamstrings are murderous injuries in sports, they can linger and linger. Too bad but you'd have to guess that Hairston will miss some more time.

It's basically 2009, if not 2010 right now anyway for the Reds.

It would seem to me that the roster is almost always more of the GM's doing than the field managers. And whoever mentioned earlier that Patterson (particularly for fielding) is next in the depth chart, he's the logical one to start. It's got nothing to do, as an earlier post suggested, with Dusty playing with the toys because he's got them. Baker clearly relegated Patterson to a back up/late inning defensive replacement role through all of July. He only got two starts the whole time. Why must something always be nefarious viz Baker?

reds44
08-02-2008, 04:53 PM
More from Fay

Jerry Hairston Jr. is indeed hurting. Hairston will be out of the lineup the next two days. He'll be re-evaluated Monday. Going back on the DL is a possibility.

"We'll see how he is early in the week," Dusty Baker said. "We'll made a decision. I hate to waste that DL time. He said he was ready. We couldn't really see him from that distance. I was a little shocked when I saw him go after that flyball."

Hairston is sure how to describe it but he's clearly not 100 percent.

"I don't know if 'hurt' is the word," he said. "More cautious. . . you want to err on the side of caution."

Hairston felt something in his hamstring while running to first base on his last at-bat.

"It's one of those things where I'm protecting it a little bit," he said. "There's those who say with a hamstring to sit on your butt two weeks and do nothing. Sometimes that's not good. Hopefully, it's just a strength issue. I felt it cramp a little bit. It didn't feel like it did in Milwaukee. I've got to get over the hump."

If Hairston goes back on the DL -- I agree with commenters to previous post -- bring up Chris Dickerson. Playing Corey Patterson when he won't be back next year, doesn't make sense.

So we get Corey Patterson the next two days. Yay

WVRedsFan
08-02-2008, 05:05 PM
It would seem to me that the roster is almost always more of the GM's doing than the field managers. And whoever mentioned earlier that Patterson (particularly for fielding) is next in the depth chart, he's the logical one to start. It's got nothing to do, as an earlier post suggested, with Dusty playing with the toys because he's got them. Baker clearly relegated Patterson to a back up/late inning defensive replacement role through all of July. He only got two starts the whole time. Why must something always be nefarious viz Baker?

Said in jest (forgot the smiley). That said, you do have to wonder what this team is going to do with the outfield. We once had a massie number of outfielders and now we're down to 4, 2 of of them automatic outs. Maybe it is time to bring up Dickerson, I don't know. What I do know is that it's frustrting to watch Patterson come up to the plate in games and swing at the first pitch and make an out or swing three times without contact.

redsmetz
08-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Said in jest (forgot the smiley). That said, you do have to wonder what this team is going to do with the outfield. We once had a massie number of outfielders and now we're down to 4, 2 of of them automatic outs. Maybe it is time to bring up Dickerson, I don't know. What I do know is that it's frustrting to watch Patterson come up to the plate in games and swing at the first pitch and make an out or swing three times without contact.

Fair enough. My oldest daughter was in Atlanta on business when the trade came down and she wasn't aware that Hairston was being called back up. She called me and asked if Patterson was going to start. I told her Hairston was back up and he was starting. She was greatly relieved and said she didn't want to Patterson starting at all!

I would expect that if Hairston goes back on the DL, that Dickerson will probably get a look. I've liked what Dusty's done with Patterson in July.

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Hairston can't stay healthy. Please call up Chris Dickerson and let him have the center field job the rest of the season.

Far East
08-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I think that Cabrera played some OF in ST and in the minors.

Might be a RF option against southpaws.

Falls City Beer
08-02-2008, 05:32 PM
I've said it before, but OBP problems or not, Phillips should be leading off.

Probably not.

Falls City Beer
08-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Incidentally, this is why I'm really glad that Bruce is out of CF. Center is a prime injury position.

WVRedsFan
08-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I would expect that if Hairston goes back on the DL, that Dickerson will probably get a look. I've liked what Dusty's done with Patterson in July.

I have too. He only gets in a game for defensive purposes. He doesn't even pinch hit anymore, which is good. Maybe he'll break out tonight and get a couple of hits?

VR
08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Keppy w/ his .276 OBP vs. righties looks pretty zesty in the leadoff spot.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Seriously. What does Chris Dickerson have to do to get a shot?

Chip R
08-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I like Hariston but his age and his injury history has to show even his biggest fans that he's not an everyday player. He and Freel are like two peas in a pod. There are just too many guys like them on this team.

GAC
08-02-2008, 08:14 PM
I like Hariston but his age and his injury history has to show even his biggest fans that he's not an everyday player. He and Freel are like two peas in a pod. There are just too many guys like them on this team.

Give'em a back gammon board. They can keep each other company on the DL.

Will M
08-02-2008, 08:18 PM

i'd place Kep here also. good vs LHP. can play 2B/3B but not SS. nice part time player but not an everyday player.

Raisor
08-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Probably not.

problem is, that anywhere else and he becomes a GIDB nightmare. At least at leadoff, that's not as much of a problem, and at least he's got some pop there.

LoganBuck
08-03-2008, 07:36 AM
So does Hairston's injuries become a detriment to the anointed plan of the broadcasters of Hairston being the everyday CF in 2009? The guy has never been healthy for any extended period in his career.

Always Red
08-03-2008, 09:07 AM
So does Hairston's injuries become a detriment to the anointed plan of the broadcasters of Hairston being the everyday CF in 2009? The guy has never been healthy for any extended period in his career.

Yep, and he's not getting any younger.

Hairston and Kep are both valuable to this team as fringe players, in a bench role. Both can play adequate defense in different positions and put the bat on the ball.

They are valuable subs, very versatile, hard-nosed ballplayers. Every team out there has need for guys like this. On the bench. In reserve.

The sooner this team realizes that and moves to replace them in the starting lineup with a league average CF and SS, the sooner this team will start winning, IMHO.

Red in Chicago
08-03-2008, 09:41 AM
problem is, that anywhere else and he becomes a GIDB nightmare. At least at leadoff, that's not as much of a problem, and at least he's got some pop there.

Aren't his gidp's being a bit overblown? He's tied for 22nd in the league with 11. This is a far cry from that of those in the top 5. Considering all the plate appearances he's had, I'm not sure nightmare is a fair classification.

Chip R
08-03-2008, 10:44 AM
i'd place Kep here also. good vs LHP. can play 2B/3B but not SS. nice part time player but not an everyday player.

He's included too.

westofyou
08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Looking at the depth chart, Dusty doesn't exactly have many options. Would you rather Andy Phillips in RF and Bruce in CF? I'm certainly no Patterson fan, but I'd take him in CF over Phillips in RF.

Yeah so true... but hey lets complain about it... makes the world spin faster and thus it ends sooner.

Matt700wlw
08-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I know there's been talk of bringing Hairston back next year.

My question is WHY? This is what his career has been

Always Red
08-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I know there's been talk of bringing Hairston back next year.

My question is WHY? This is what his career has been

I'd bring him back, for sure. As the first guy off the bench in both the OF and IF. Nothing more.

Any team that counts on this guy for anything is not thinking and planning to win.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-03-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd bring him back, for sure. As the first guy off the bench in both the OF and IF. Nothing more.

Any team that counts on this guy for anything is not thinking and planning to win.

They already have Freel and Keppinger, which both have proven to be no more than utility players. Do they need another one of the same type of player?

Degenerate39
08-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Hairston can't stay healthy. Please call up Chris Dickerson and let him have the center field job the rest of the season.

Didn't help they brought him back too soon.

Always Red
08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
They already have Freel and Keppinger, which both have proven to be no more than utility players. Do they need another one of the same type of player?

Good point. I have no problem with trying Dickerson, and letting Hairston heal fully.

Hairston is having a pretty good year. He'd be a good guy to have on the bench, if he keeps playing like this. Especially since he can fill in at IF and OF.

BR, I think you and I agree he is not starter material, but are you opposed to having him on the team at all next year? And if so, why, exactly? I think he's an upgrade over Freel at this point, to be honest.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Good point. I have no problem with trying Dickerson, and letting Hairston heal fully.

Hairston is having a pretty good year. He'd be a good guy to have on the bench, if he keeps playing like this. Especially since he can fill in at IF and OF.

BR, I think you and I agree he is not starter material, but are you opposed to having him on the team at all next year? And if so, why, exactly? I think he's an upgrade over Freel at this point, to be honest.

I don't mind having him if we can somehow unload Freel.

I wouldn't pay him anymore than $2M and for no more than one year.