PDA

View Full Version : Ken Anderson among NFL's Top Ten Players Not In Hall of Fame

macro
08-02-2008, 03:57 PM
http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story?id=09000d5d8099cc39&template=with-video&confirm=true

I've always thought that Anderson has been snubbed.

Strikes Out Looking
08-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I've always KNOWN that Anderson has been snubbed.

camisadelgolf
08-02-2008, 04:08 PM
http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story?id=09000d5d8099cc39&template=with-video&confirm=true

I've always thought that Anderson has been snubbed.

Me, too. It's ridiculous. :angry:

redsmetz
08-02-2008, 04:39 PM
I've never understood the structure of the selections for the NFL HOF and whether Anderson ever has a chance to be selected. I was shocked to see Ken Stabler's name on that list too.

macro
08-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Since the merger, he and Steve Young are the only two QBs to win back-to-back passing titles two different times. Also this from Wikipedia:

At the time of Ken's retirement following the 1986 season, he held NFL records for consecutive pass completions (20), completion percentage for a single game (20 of 22, 90.9%, vs. Pittsburgh in 1974) and completion percentage for a season (70.6% in 1982), as well as the Super Bowl records for completion percentage (73.5%) (since broken by Phil Simms) and completions (25). Furthermore, Ken was ranked 6th all-time for passing yards in a career at the time of his retirement. Ken's record for completion percentage in a season still stands over 20 years after his retirement. As of 2005, he is among the top 30 all-time leaders in pass attempts (24th), completions (18th), passing yards (21st) and passing touchdowns (28th). He led the NFL in passing yards and completions twice, and lead the league in fewest interceptions per pass attempt 3 times. He has been nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame several times, and on 2 occasions was among the 15 finalists for enshrinement, but to this day he has not yet been voted in. He is ranked no. 10 player to never made it into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, maybe due to his poor post season record, and a lack of a Super Bowl ring.

In 2008, NFL Network selected Anderson as #10 of their list of top 10 players who have not yet made it into the hall of fame.

Tony Cloninger
08-02-2008, 11:06 PM
The NFL HOF...is about players who won SB or who's stats or play...were head and shoulders above anyone else. Like Anthony Munoz....or Butkus.

Why is Ken Riley...or heck even Lemar Parrish not at least spoken about?

Look at Parrish's Pro Bowl appearances....his TD's scored on defense and ST.

Anderson should at least be more considered......and Stabler....he was more highly regarded than KA was. He won a SB...and he was better than Griese....please.

cumberlandreds
08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I've never understood the structure of the selections for the NFL HOF and whether Anderson ever has a chance to be selected. I was shocked to see Ken Stabler's name on that list too.

It's well known for borderline HOF players that they have to considerable politicing on their end to get in. If you are unwilling to that you aren't going to make it. Not fair but that's the way it is.

RedsBaron
08-16-2008, 08:37 AM

Stabler's era of greatness was relatively short, 1973-77, with maybe 1979 thrown in. He was really terrific in 1974 and 1976. The best argument for the induction of Stabler into the HOF is his incredible clutch performances during that era. I'm watching a program on the NFL Network as I type this on the NFL's ten greatest clutch quarterbacks. Stabler was named as the sixth greatest clutch QB of all time, with the only QB of his era being ranked ahead of him being Roger Staubach.
Terry Bradshaw and Bob Griese are both in the HOF and I have no argument with their selections, but during Stabler's prime years of 1973-77 virtually nobody ranked Bradshaw and Greiese ahead of the Snake.