PDA

View Full Version : Griffey taken out of game due to cramping

TOBTTReds
08-02-2008, 06:10 PM
mlb gameday says Griffey left game in 6th inning due to injured leg...I know nothing else though...looking into it.

15 innings of CF may have got him already.

TOBTTReds
08-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Looks like nothing too bad at least.

Griffey exits early with cramping
Newly acquired slugger pulled due to excessive heat Saturday
By Robert Falkoff / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- As the heat index hit 113, Ken Griffey Jr. didn't make it through a second full game with the White Sox.
The 38-year-old Griffey was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning of Saturday's game against the Royals. Kansas City had just taken an 8-3 lead with two runs in the fifth.

Dewayne Wise batted for Griffey, who had been the No. 2 hitter in the lineup.

Griffey's removal was strictly heat related, as he was experiencing cramping in his right leg.

Griffey was 0-for-2 after going 2-for-3 on Friday in his White Sox debut.

redsfan30
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Shame that that's how his hitting streak had to come to an end.

toledodan
08-02-2008, 09:36 PM
mlb gameday says Griffey left game in 6th inning due to injured leg...I know nothing else though...looking into it.

15 innings of CF may have got him already.

between that and a heat index of about 115!

flyer85
08-02-2008, 09:58 PM
his legs aren't going to last long playing CF ... he has tried to protect them by how he played RF this year for the Reds, and took a lot of flak for it. However, he can't play CF for the Sox that way, he has to chase everything.

toledodan
08-02-2008, 10:33 PM
his legs aren't going to last long playing CF ... he has tried to protect them by how he played RF this year for the Reds, and took a lot of flak for it. However, he can't play CF for the Sox that way, he has to chase everything.

i agree and wasn't surprised he came out. he made a great diving catch on a short pop up to center early in the game. later on a ball hit to left center he was unable to cut it off. to be fair KC has huge power alleys but he didn't stand a chance on it. what i've heard is the sox plan on using him some in CF, RF, 1B and DH.

Reds1
08-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm 37 and have continuing nagging back issues. I work out and could play a mlb game, but not every night in that kind of heat and CF. Now I'm not KGJ, but I'm just saying the body does weird things when you get older. It really sucks, but I think they are asking a lot from him. At least it's just 2 months and if it works how cool for him to get to the WS playing CF. I'd say this is his one and last chance for this to happen.
I hope it does.