PDA

View Full Version : Griffey says good-bye, thanks, I'm sorry

08-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Posted by JohnFay at 8/2/2008 6:19 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Ken Griffey Jr. released this through the Reds:

I would like to thank the Cincinnati Reds organization for allowing me to fulfill a lifelong dream of playing for my hometown team. I will always value the lasting friendships I have with the Lindner, Castellini and Williams families.

While my nine seasons there were filled with personal highlights - like hitting my 400th, 500th and 600th home runs in a Reds uniform - and the negatives of having to fight through too many injuries, my biggest regret is that we were not able to win a world championship while I was there.

I also would like to thank my many teammates, managers, coaches and Reds employees for their help and support and to acknowledge the many friendly relationships I had with most of the members of the local media. I will miss the banter.

Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank Reds fans for their support. I really do understand that the overwhelming majority of fans wanted so badly for me to succeed. Additionally, I would like to sincerely apologize to those fans offended by my wrongful actions last Saturday night. It was an overreaction on my part to what I felt was a series of public inaccurate and unfair remarks about me.

I wish nothing but success for the Reds both on and off the field.

Sincerely,

Ken Griffey Jr.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I wish him luck, I'll be rooting for the White Sox in the playoffs most likely.

redsfanmia
08-02-2008, 07:36 PM
It just seems wierd not having on the field. I wish his time here would have been better for both the Reds and for him and I wish him nothing but the best and have become a Sox fan for the rest of the year.

redsfanfalcon
08-02-2008, 08:03 PM
One word somes that up...classy. We all make mistakes, say things or do things we shouldn't, and we are sorry for them. It just so happens we don't do it with thousands of eyes watching.

Fon Duc Tow
08-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Sums it up perfectly and as a final of many other class acts from Junior.

ChatterRed
08-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Humble actions like apologizing always bring me to forgiveness and make me feel better about that person. He's human. He made a mistake. And now he acknowledged it, which makes me feel better about Ken Griffey Jr.

I wish him nothing but the best. Classy statement by Junior. Well done.

Griffey012
08-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I feel like watching the Reds is going to be weird the rest of the season, hopefully they quickly let me forget he is gone, Jay Bruce going 2-2 tonight is starting to help.

ChatterRed
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I went to dinner with my 11 year old and 13 year old daughters tonight and the Reds game was on the TV in the restaurant. They asked me when Ken Griffey Junior was going to bat and I told them he was traded. My 13 year old started crying.

Oops.

schmidty622
08-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Ugh. Pathetic

RedsFanInMobile
08-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Ugh. Pathetic

Thanking people and apologizing is pathetic? I think it was a very nice gesture on his part. I hope he does well in Chicago and finally gets a shot at a World Series ring.

Root Down
08-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Class act, we will miss him!

Chi-Town Red
08-02-2008, 09:48 PM
The city is excited to have him here. As am I

I am not your average Griffey fan. He is my favorite ATHLETE of all time. And i don't post that often, but let me explain what i mean.

I grew up in Spokane, Washington. i am 46 yrs old. At the time that i started to love baseball the Mariners we not around yet. So as kids, we all had to adopt teams. Mine was the Reds of course. I became a fan in 1970 during the world series they lost to Baltimore. I loved the big Red machine.
And one of my favorite players was Senior.

I moved away from Washington, but then moved back after i was married in 1990. Just in time to see JR start his brilliant career. I was blessed as not many were back then, to watch him play every day in his prime.I have watched many, many games and players over the years, and he is the best i have ever seen. During a typical 3 game series you would see him do something truly special.
Make a great catch, throw a runner out, clutch hit or monster bomb....maybe all of the above if he was on his game. They had some bad teams in the early 90's, but i couldn't wait to see what JR would do.I was a true fan.

Then in 1999 i moved to Chicago....and JR was traded to my Reds...wow...this was something. Of course we all know what happened. But i bought the MLB ticket every year just to watch my Reds with Jr....it still was one of the coolest things in the world seeing him in that Reds uniform.I also went to Wrigley and watched them when i could get tickets. I feel they just didn't put enough good players around him, even when he was healthy.

I now live 3 blocks from U.S cellular field, I mean literally my back yard. I can see the upper deck from my back porch. In this town you have to root for one team. And i chose the White Sox way back in 99. I love baseball so i follow the team pretty close. I even converted alot of my co workers and friends into Reds followers. (The White Sox fans anyway) And now it seems to have come full circle for this Reds fan anyway. To have him play here with the Sox is just a fitting way to end his career, And to give this baseball fan some excitement.
Lord knows we haven't had much as Reds fans over the last 9 yrs. The Reds will always be my #1 along with JR. I hope he can get one last shot at winning it all. Isn't that what the all time greats are suppose to have, a shot?

Redeye fly
08-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanking people and apologizing is pathetic? I think it was a very nice gesture on his part. I hope he does well in Chicago and finally gets a shot at a World Series ring.

Please don't quote schmidty. I have him on ignore and can't see what he says, and as Brandon Phillips would say, "it's a beautiful thing".:p:

Of course it was a nice gesture. But not surprisingly, I wouldn't expect the people who are just around to stir the pot or the ones who seem to have an irrational and unhealthy near hatred of Junior to actually admit that it was classy or a nice gesture. Doing that would mean giving him credit for something, which means that in some ways they were wrong, and whether they are just trolls or whether they're really that far gone mentally, that is just too much for them to admit to. No big deal... Griffey will continue to be a winner in more ways than can be measured by wins and losses on a baseball field, or any personal statistics I'm sure.

BLEEDS
08-02-2008, 11:53 PM
The city is excited to have him here. As am I

I am not your average Griffey fan. He is my favorite ATHLETE of all time. And i don't post that often, but let me explain what i mean.

I grew up in Spokane, Washington. i am 46 yrs old. At the time that i started to love baseball the Mariners we not around yet. So as kids, we all had to adopt teams. Mine was the Reds of course. I became a fan in 1970 during the world series they lost to Baltimore. I loved the big Red machine.
And one of my favorite players was Senior.

I moved away from Washington, but then moved back after i was married in 1990. Just in time to see JR start his brilliant career. I was blessed as not many were back then, to watch him play every day in his prime.I have watched many, many games and players over the years, and he is the best i have ever seen. During a typical 3 game series you would see him do something truly special.
Make a great catch, throw a runner out, clutch hit or monster bomb....maybe all of the above if he was on his game. They had some bad teams in the early 90's, but i couldn't wait to see what JR would do.I was a true fan.

Then in 1999 i moved to Chicago....and JR was traded to my Reds...wow...this was something. Of course we all know what happened. But i bought the MLB ticket every year just to watch my Reds with Jr....it still was one of the coolest things in the world seeing him in that Reds uniform.I also went to Wrigley and watched them when i could get tickets. I feel they just didn't put enough good players around him, even when he was healthy.

I now live 3 blocks from U.S cellular field, I mean literally my back yard. I can see the upper deck from my back porch. In this town you have to root for one team. And i chose the White Sox way back in 99. I love baseball so i follow the team pretty close. I even converted alot of my co workers and friends into Reds followers. (The White Sox fans anyway) And now it seems to have come full circle for this Reds fan anyway. To have him play here with the Sox is just a fitting way to end his career, And to give this baseball fan some excitement.
Lord knows we haven't had much as Reds fans over the last 9 yrs. The Reds will always be my #1 along with JR. I hope he can get one last shot at winning it all. Isn't that what the all time greats are suppose to have, a shot?

That is awesome for you! Quite a ride!

Enjoy, and root on Junior for me!! The guy deserves a shot at a ring for sure, since the Reds really didn't do anything to put any talent around him to give us a legit shot at anything.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Newman4
08-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Good luck Chi Town, we'll be rooting for the Sox and Griffey as well. I have to admit, I got quite choked up the other night when they showed the Griffey highlight reel on FSN. I mean, the early days with the Reds and in his prime with the M's, I realized that this could be the greatest baseball player I will watch in my lifetime. The athleticism, the bat speed with a perfect swing, the Superman defense in center.......it will be something to tell grandkids about. Good luck Junior...I hope you get that ring this year.

Redus
08-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Ugh. Pathetic

Wow...I mean really? :rolleyes:

texasdave
08-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I thought the letter was a nice parting gesture. It made for a classy departure. The ending of the Griffey Era could have gotten a whole lot uglier. It didn't. Kudos to Griffey and Reds' management.

TDHND
08-03-2008, 08:24 AM
he will be missed thats for sure.i'm glad i was able to watch his first game as a member of the white sox and he played awesome!

Chi-Town Red
08-03-2008, 08:40 AM
I ordered my White Sox Griffey Jersey yesterday...LOL...Heck i already have a Mariners, And Reds...
I was driving to work when the news came on ESPN Radio about the trade...I almost went off the road, i couldn't believe it!

Redlegs
08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Griffey's statements went a long way. Apology accepted by this Reds fan.:)

DTCromer
08-03-2008, 11:53 AM

It only took a week and a trade to get an apology from Griffey.

Seems a little odd to me. . . .don't you think? I highly doubt he would be apologizing if he were still putting on a Reds uniform today.

Jr's Boy
08-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Fare the well Junior.As the Hawk would say your one of the ''good guys''now.Alright all you Griffey hater's,you got your wish,now who is next on your hit list.Dunn?

Chi-Town Red
08-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Fare the well Junior.As the Hawk would say your one of the ''good guys''now.Alright all you Griffey hater's,you got your wish,now who is next on your hit list.Dunn?
cant wait till Hawk say....YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD.....YES!....JR # 609!

BLEEDS
08-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Alright all you Griffey hater's,you got your wish,now who is next on your hit list.Dunn?

Yep, then we can man the OF with Bruce, Patterson and, and, and - DREW STUBBS, yeah that's the ticket - we will WINN FER SURE, GUARANTEED!!! The improved defense will make the pitchers pitch better, and we will score 100 runs a game by bunting over the runners(who get on base barely 30% of the time).

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Jack Burton
08-03-2008, 02:23 PM
He deserves a ring because of his extreme hustle and his excellent leadership? He's a shell of an athlete at this point, and the White Sox are in for a surprise if they did not already know that. You can pretty much bank on the Twins taking that division now. His stay in Cincinnati was complete FAILURE, I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on that.

BTW, apology should have been made immediately following the incident.

Chi-Town Red
08-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Hes 3 for 7 so far....with some actual talent around him, lets see what the old guy can do?

BlastFurnace
08-03-2008, 06:13 PM
That is awesome for you! Quite a ride!

Enjoy, and root on Junior for me!! The guy deserves a shot at a ring for sure, since the Reds really didn't do anything to put any talent around him to give us a legit shot at anything.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Agree totally. I have been watching the White Sox boxscores every day since he left. They have a shot to do something this year that the Reds never had a chance to do the past 9 years since Junior arrived.

I don't know where he will be next year, but I will watch their boxscores as well.

He's one of my favorite Reds of all time.

Redeye fly
08-03-2008, 06:37 PM
He deserves a ring because of his extreme hustle and his excellent leadership? He's a shell of an athlete at this point, and the White Sox are in for a surprise if they did not already know that. You can pretty much bank on the Twins taking that division now. His stay in Cincinnati was complete FAILURE, I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on that.

BTW, apology should have been made immediately following the incident.

And, if he had apologized immediately after the incident, I'm sure you would have doubted the sincerity of it, or found something else to criticize him for.

One would have thought that if Junior was the chief cause of our losing,that things would get better after he was gone. Yet, "small sample size" or not, here we are swept by the worst team in baseball, a team with a Triple A lineup and pitching staff, and a team that until they played the Reds had lost 9 straight. Whoops.

And since we traded him, and I did not object to the idea of his being traded, but since we traded him, the outfield replacements were a still unhealthy Jerry Hairston Jr., and a still unproductive Corey Patterson... who with Hairston's problems will once again undoubtedly play every day... fielding fine, but hitting at a level that would make DeWayne Wise think he needs to step it up, and getting 3 million to do what he does, which most generally is make an out before he reaches the on deck circle.

I'm glad it's working out so well.