PDA

View Full Version : Griffey's Letter to Reds Fans

letsgojunior
08-02-2008, 07:15 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080802&content_id=3241624&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

WASHINGTON -- Ken Griffey Jr. didn't have a chance to say goodbye to the Cincinnati public, after he was traded to the White Sox on Thursday while the Reds were on the road and enjoying an off-day.

On Saturday, Griffey wrote a letter of thanks that showed appreciation and some regret and offered an apology for his part in an incident during what proved to be his final homestand.

"I would like to thank the Cincinnati Reds organization for allowing me to fulfill a lifelong dream of playing for my hometown team," Griffey wrote. "I will always value the lasting friendships I have with the Lindner, Castellini and Williams families. While my nine seasons there were filled with personal highlights -- like hitting my 400th, 500th and 600th home runs in a Reds uniform -- and the negatives of having to fight through too many injuries, my biggest regret is that we were not able to win a World [Series] championship while I was there."

Griffey had a sometimes stormy rapport with Reds fans while he played in Cincinnati from 2000-08. It stemmed from frustration over seven straight losing seasons in which fans often blamed Griffey because he missed significant time with several injuries.

"Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank Reds fans for their support," Griffey said. "I really do understand that the overwhelming majority of fans wanted so badly for me to succeed."

On July 26, after hitting his second-to-last home run in a Reds uniform, Griffey made a throat-slashing gesture and was seen swearing towards the Reds' radio booth and broadcaster Jeff Brantley because of comments made about him on the air.

"Additionally, I would like to sincerely apologize to those fans offended by my wrongful actions last Saturday night," Griffey said. "It was an overreaction on my part to what I felt was a series of public, inaccurate and unfair remarks about me.

"I wish nothing but success for the Reds both on and off the field."

HumnHilghtFreel
08-02-2008, 07:25 PM
As much as I know it was the right move to trade him... it just seems odd not having Jr. as a part of the team. Nice of him to put out the statement, even though he didn't have to do anything of the sort.

RosieRed
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad he found a way to say something to the fans, it's a nice letter. Also good (for most, I assume) to hear an apology for the Brantley incident. Feels more finished that way.

"Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank Reds fans for their support," Griffey said. "I really do understand that the overwhelming majority of fans wanted so badly for me to succeed."

I hope it was the overwhelming majority. Doesn't seem like it most of the time. Either way, I think that's a very appropriate acknowledgment.

RedsBaron
08-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Classy letter. I wish Junior nothing but success both on and off the field. :thumbup:

Always Red
08-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Junior didn't need to do that.

But he did.

That's a touch of pure class, right there. Junior is a HoF'er, on many levels.

And I was very critical of what Griffey did after the HR, towards Brantley in the booth. Now, hopefully, Brantley will reciprocate?? :dunno:

nate
08-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Nice way to leave it. Thanks, Jr!

redsfan30
08-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Very, very nice to see! I'm so glad to read that he truely understands that the majority of us fans were in his corner and always will be.

I went out yesterday and bought a White Sox hat that I will wear in honor of him as long as he is in the Windy City.

I, for one, will be rooting like hell for the White Sox from now until hopefully the day where Junior puts a ring on his finger!

Cyclone792
08-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Very classy. Thanks again for the memories, Junior.

I'm hoping I'll be able to make the trek to Cooperstown when he gets inducted to the Hall.

LvJ
08-02-2008, 10:04 PM
http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsdance.gif

Go Sox.

KronoRed
08-02-2008, 10:43 PM
More class then a lot of Reds fans deserved.

JR rocks.

Unassisted
08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I like it. It provides some much-needed damage control after the throat-slash incident.

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Very classy by Griff. I wish him nothing but the best in Chicago.

WVRedsFan
08-02-2008, 11:20 PM
I went out yesterday and bought a White Sox hat that I will wear in honor of him as long as he is in the Windy City.

That's strange, I did the same thing today. I don't guarantee I'll wear it much, but it just seemed like the thing to do. I still haven't gotten over him leaving. And I re-upped with the DirecTV package so I could watch the Chisox. I hope he tears them up in Chicago all the way to that ring.

LincolnparkRed
08-02-2008, 11:37 PM
It works nicely for me, the sox are on every day out here. I just can't stand Hawk and DJ on the broadcast for the Sox. that's what mute was made for I guess.

Reds1
08-03-2008, 12:26 AM
That's the true guy Griffey was. I know the move won't hurt the Reds and it will get Bruce some much needed experience, but I will say watching the games the past 2 days has been a little bit of a downer despite seeing Bruce hit a HR each night. You can see quickly some leadership has to be reestablished with the team right now. Griffey led by example and his comments about his overreaction were not necessary, but very cool non the less. I'd like to see da cowboy do something similar.

WVRedsFan
08-03-2008, 01:15 AM
That's the true guy Griffey was. I know the move won't hurt the Reds and it will get Bruce some much needed experience, but I will say watching the games the past 2 days has been a little bit of a downer despite seeing Bruce hit a HR each night. You can see quickly some leadership has to be reestablished with the team right now. Griffey led by example and his comments about his overreaction were not necessary, but very cool non the less. I'd like to see da cowboy do something similar.

After listening to the callers on Doc Rogers' show tonight, Griffey could become a saint and it wouldn't make any difference. He was the reason the Reds were losing. Amazing. All of a sudden, this solid citizen was a bad influence on everyone from Adam Dunn to just about anyone who wasn't doing well. Once again, amazing.

I didn't listen to the radio broadcast tonight, but I don't expect Brantley to do anything other than ignore the whole affair. The ego is too large for that.

Razor Shines
08-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Just when you think you can't have any more respect for a baseball player........

Matt700wlw
08-03-2008, 02:51 AM
I know I've said some things about Junior lately that were a bit harsh....but I didn't say what I didn't feel (and I hope I kept it baseball related, and not personal). This gesture could be looked at as a PR move....and I hope my employers don't make it to be that....I think it's more KGJ the person...the son..the dad...the husband........the class....a man who really wanted Cincinnati to be his last stop to a Championship, letting his hometown know that there are no hard feelings....To that I :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dougdirt
08-03-2008, 03:29 AM
I love Ken Griffey Jr.

Matt700wlw
08-03-2008, 03:39 AM
After listening to the callers on Doc Rogers' show tonight, Griffey could become a saint and it wouldn't make any difference. He was the reason the Reds were losing. Amazing. All of a sudden, this solid citizen was a bad influence on everyone from Adam Dunn to just about anyone who wasn't doing well. Once again, amazing.

Griffey wasn't the greatest clubhouse leader, but I don't think he ever wanted to be. When he came here, it was all of a sudden his show.....because of who he was...........he would have been better off being the final piece to a puzzle than another missing piece - maybe now he is

Caveat Emperor
08-03-2008, 03:48 AM

My opinion of Cincinnati sports fans has always been low -- and their treatment of Junior did nothing but reinforce that during the years he was here.

RFS62
08-03-2008, 07:48 AM
We sure do expect a lot from these guys. I guess the money they make gives us a sense of entitlement to those expectations.

And when we give the "superstar" mantle to someone, as we did Junior the first time we saw that sweet swing, it seems like we expect even more.

It was an honor for us to watch one of baseballs all time great players in Cincinnati. But, now it's time for him to go.

Get your ring, kid. We'll be pulling for you. You'll always be one of our own.

Raisor
08-03-2008, 07:55 AM
IThis gesture could be looked at as a PR move....and I hope my employers don't make it to be that....:

Considering the "promos" WLW ran the day of the trade, I could give a rat's behind what your employers do.

RANDY IN INDY
08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
More class then a lot of Reds fans deserved.

Agree.:beerme:

RFS62
08-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Here's how I like to remember Junior.

Matt700wlw
08-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Considering the "promos" WLW ran the day of the trade, I could give a rat's behind what your employers do.

The promos were satire, I'm sure 'half asser' came out of the mouths of listeners and callers before it came out of ours....this letter by him isn't, in my book....hopefully they agree

Chip R
08-03-2008, 10:35 AM
The promos were satire, I'm sure 'half asser' came out of the mouths of listeners and callers before it came out of ours....this letter by him isn't, in my book....hopefully they agree

Always the excuse, isn't it? "It's just entertainment."

Just like the Mexican thing. Oh, boy, I bet the boys up in Kenwood had a good time dreaming that one up, right?

Matt700wlw
08-03-2008, 10:50 AM
If people have issue with it...feel free to contact the boss

dparks@700wlw.com

Razor Shines
08-03-2008, 10:53 AM

I've never been a WLW basher. I'm pretty sure I've sent some PMs to you in the past expressing that. I didn't find those promos funny. They were shameful at best, but probably worse than that.

Is it possible for you to give us any insight as to what the point of those were? I just don't get it. They were down right uncalled for.

I realize those promos probably don't express your personal opinion, I'd honestly just like to know if you have any idea what the thought process was for running them.

Crosley68
08-03-2008, 11:24 AM

dparks@700wlw.com

I know you were serious Matt, but I am sure your boss is getting a big chuckle out of all the "left-wingers" they have riled.

It appears that WLW has become the anti-matter Gong Show where the most ridiculous and outrageous act wins!

37red
08-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Never thought I'd be rooting for the White Sox........

RosieRed
08-03-2008, 12:46 PM

dparks@700wlw.com

I think if people have issue, they need to contact the Reds, not your station. Nothing is going to change that station, especially a few e-mails from Reds fans. The proper move is for the Reds to leave that station.

Ron Madden
08-03-2008, 05:56 PM
I think if people have issue, they need to contact the Reds, not your station. Nothing is going to change that station, especially a few e-mails from Reds fans. The proper move is for the Reds to leave that station.

:thumbup:

Sums up my feelings exactly.