PDA

View Full Version : MMA for Kids

MWM
08-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Anyone else see the ESPN story on kids' involvement mixed martial arts. I found that to be VERY disturbing and it should be made illegal.

PedroBourbon
08-05-2008, 10:51 AM
I saw this. I am fine with kids learning MMA, self defense, etc. What was disturbing were the instructors who had the kids using dirty tactics or instructing their students to perform moves that are known to be risky or have a high incidence of injury if not performed properly. I think if taught properly that this is good exercise (in today's obese society) as well as good social interaction and character building for the kids. I think a few bad apples (instructors) made this look bad. Again, just my opinion.

The Baumer
08-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I didn't see the segment but I know that a lot of MMA training is similar to learning a martial art at the old fashioned dojo or karate school. And I know tons of small small children attend those. However, if they showed the kids beating each other's heads in and throwing each other around the octagon cage (or if they focused on crazy instructors telling them to do so), then obviously those things are not cool. But the training itself shouldn't be illegal or outlawed.

MWM
08-05-2008, 04:01 PM
The footage they showed was quite disturbing, IMO.

gilpdawg
08-05-2008, 04:10 PM
They interviewed a doctor about this on Inside MMA last week. He said he wouldn't have a problem with it if they don't allow head shots, wear headgear to protect against califlower ear, and when a kid gets caught in a submission, the match is automatically over, not "wait for them to tap" to avoid getting ankles broke and stuff like that.