PDA

View Full Version : Players call "players only" meeting before today's game

WVRedsFan
08-03-2008, 01:05 PM
From Fay:

The Reds had a players-only meeting before Sunday's game.

"It's OK with me as long as they ask permission, which they did," Dusty Baker said.

Baker met with the team Friday.

"I think we overmeet as a society,' he said. "You can talk, but you've got to follow through."

Baker wouldn't say who called the meeting, saying only it was more than one player. David Weathers was one.

"We've got so many young guys," Baker said. "They've got to hear it from a player sometimes."

Lineup:

Jeff Keppinger ss

Joey Votto 1b

jay Bruce rf

Brandon Phillips 2b

Adam Dunn lf

Edwin Encarnacion 3

Corey Patterson cf

David Ross c

Jonny Cueto p

v. RH Collin Balester

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog07

OnBaseMachine
08-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Nice to see Votto back in the two hole. Hopefully he and Bruce remain 2/3 all season long.

mbgrayson
08-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Per Hal McCoy:

Speaking of clubhouses, the Reds players had a Players Only meeting before sunday’s game - hopefully to flail themselves for supreme ineptitude in losing two straight to the Nationals.

Manager Dusty Baker is not big on meetings, but gave his permission.

“As long as they ask permission, which they did, it’s fine with me,” said Baker. “We used to do that in LA, except we didn’t ask. We just kicked Tommy Lasorda out.

“Can’t tell you who, but a couple of ‘em came in and asked if it was OK and I said yes,” Baker said.

Baker, though, says not much happens after these meetings.

“I think we overmeet as a society,” said Baker. “My opinion. You can talk, but you have to follow through in your talking and put it into action. I’ve done motivational speaking and the first thing I tell them is, ‘I can only motivate you for a little while. Motivation comes from within, but one thing I can do is light your pilot light so it burns inside you.’”

Baker said former San Francisco manager Roger Craig once told him, “Don’t let them have a Players Only meeting because it looks as if you’ve lost the team. I love Roger Craig, but I never believed that. Thanks for the advice. If you feel secure in yourself, you don’t have to worry about that.”

Baker agrees that if a manager says no to a Players Only meeting, then the manager feels threatened.

“I had a meeting Friday after Ken Griffey Jr. was traded,” said Baker. “After my meetings, I always ask if anybody has anything to say and invariably nobody does. I hope that’s not the case in the players meeting - I hope they all have something to say.

“We have so many young guys on our team and they need to hear from some of the older players - like I used to hear from Hank Aaron and like when I was with the Dodgers they used to hear from Davy Lopes, Reggie Smith and me,” Baker said.

membengal
08-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I hope the players identified the clubhouse couch as the source of all of their problems...

nate
08-03-2008, 01:17 PM
I guess it was a standing meeting.

RichRed
08-03-2008, 01:27 PM
like I used to hear from Hank Aaron

Say, did you guys know Dusty played with Hank Aaron? You'd think he'd have mentioned that before.

MrCinatit
08-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Say, did you guys know Dusty played with Hank Aaron? You'd think he'd have mentioned that before.

Who was this Hank Aaron guy? I've heard of Tommy Aaron - were they related?

Falls City Beer
08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
“I think we overmeet as a society,” said Baker. “My opinion. You can talk, but you have to follow through in your talking and put it into action. I’ve done motivational speaking and the first thing I tell them is, ‘I can only motivate you for a little while. Motivation comes from within, but one thing I can do is light your pilot light so it burns inside you.’”

Amen.

Get your own house in order, shut up, and give everything you've got for 2 1/2 hours.

Meeting adjourned.

BCubb2003
08-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Who was this Hank Aaron guy? I've heard of Tommy Aaron - were they related?

Maybe he meant Harang, Boone or Ledesma.

westofyou
08-03-2008, 02:15 PM
“I think we overmeet as a society,” said Baker.

Dusty has never met the project managers I work with, I agree with him on this 110%.

rotnoid
08-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Last week I had a meeting to plan a meeting. Dusty's dead on this time. Now let's hope it helps avoid a sweep by the Nats. My meeting wasn't so productive.

Matt700wlw
08-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Neither was this one

Reds1
08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Meeting didn't work. Error in the 1st and that was it.

It was nice to see Cueto get through it and put up zeros the rest of the time. This team needs to find some leadership

cumberlandreds
08-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I think they met to see how quickly they can pack it in for the season. I really doubt this teams wins more than 12 to 15 games the rest of they way. They are really pathetic.
The Reds should take one thing the Nats did this weekend. Before Fridays game they got rid of some the deadwood on the team;Lopez,LoDuca and Estrada and brought up a couple young guys that gave them a spark. The Reds should do the same right now! It can at least send a message that they don't need older guys that just take up space around anymore.

guttle11
08-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Corey Patterson stepped up!

HokieRed
08-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Agree with Cumberland. This team is really bad right now. They'll be lucky to win 70 games.

VR
08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Last week I had a meeting to plan a meeting. Dusty's dead on this time. Now let's hope it helps avoid a sweep by the Nats. My meeting wasn't so productive.

The meeting that needs to happen is the come-to-Jesus with Dusty that addresses his complete inability to cast his players into successful situations. Batting Griffey 3rd all year. Giving Patterson a completely unacceptable amount of ab's earlier in the year. Having complete disdain for past performance when creating lineups. Having a team not ready to play the game on a daily basis.

Guess what Duster, it is your job to have these guys ready to play. And here's where leadership comes in. If you don't want to be motivated by the salary you make, responsibility to your teammates and fans, or even self pride.....that is totally ok. Just sit your butt down on that bench and let us know when you are ready to come to the game every day and be physically AND mentally prepared.

Reds1
08-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I think they met to see how quickly they can pack it in for the season. I really doubt this teams wins more than 12 to 15 games the rest of they way. They are really pathetic.
The Reds should take one thing the Nats did this weekend. Before Fridays game they got rid of some the deadwood on the team;Lopez,LoDuca and Estrada and brought up a couple young guys that gave them a spark. The Reds should do the same right now! It can at least send a message that they don't need older guys that just take up space around anymore.

Who's dead wood on this team. You mean a catcher, Patterson - really this team has done that. Injuries have hurt this year and the fact this team is young. Not a whole lot you can do at this point except give the team some experience and wait for the Sept call ups. I would agree it's time the 3 catcher thing goes bye bye.

guttle11
08-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Who's dead wood on this team. You mean a catcher, Patterson - really this team has done that. Injuries have hurt this year and the fact this team is young. Not a whole lot you can do at this point except give the team some experience and wait for the Sept call ups. I would agree it's time the 3 catcher thing goes bye bye.

Now that the playoffs aren't even possible on peyote, Valentin can become Hanigan and Patterson can become Dickerson. Both may turn out to be terrible, but it's not a known. We know about the other two.

Fogg can become Maloney, who can become Thompson, who can become Masset...Homer stays (if he's pitching largely the same in both the bigs and AAA, there's no need for him to be in AAA).

That is going young.

Reds1
08-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Now that the playoffs aren't even possible on peyote, Valentin can become Hanigan and Patterson can become Dickerson. Both may turn out to be terrible, but it's not a known. We know about the other two.

Fogg can become Maloney, who can become Thompson, who can become Masset...Homer stays (if he's pitching largely the same in both the bigs and AAA, there's no need for him to be in AAA).

That is going young.

Well, as I said I agree the catcher and the Patterson, but both Maloney and Thompson are hurt so you can't change that now. I expect Masset to get some opportunity and I figure Homer stays in at least 1 more start until Harang comes back. I actually believe Harang needs to come back and have some success for next year. A pitcher needs his confidence. I'd personally like to see Votta in LF and Dunn at 1B. Both could be upgrades in defense as Dunn is a true lefty and has better size to catch EE balls and Votto a better athlete, speed, etc. for LF.

redsmetz
08-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Aside from Patterson in center, out of the starting eight, who do you see that they should send packing? Catcher and maybe shortstop. Who do you see in the minors that should make the jump after dropping the dead wood? It's not there presently.

Big Klu
08-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Well, as I said I agree the catcher and the Patterson, but both Maloney and Thompson are hurt so you can't change that now. I expect Masset to get some opportunity and I figure Homer stays in at least 1 more start until Harang comes back. I actually believe Harang needs to come back and have some success for next year. A pitcher needs his confidence. I'd personally like to see Votta in LF and Dunn at 1B. Both could be upgrades in defense as Dunn is a true lefty and has better size to catch EE balls and Votto a better athlete, speed, etc. for LF.

Dunn throws right-handed.

Ron Madden
08-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Players call "players only" meeting.

Thats impossible! All year we've been reading and hearing that they don't even care , why would they call a players only meeting? :confused:

westofyou
08-03-2008, 08:32 PM
why would they call a players only meeting? :confused:

They had to vote on who got the candy bar that was found under the cushion of the team couch.

VR
08-03-2008, 08:57 PM
They had to vote on who got the candy bar that was found under the cushion of the team couch.

that was funny

SteelSD
08-03-2008, 10:00 PM
I’ve come across the transcript of the meeting. Enjoy…

David Weathers: “Alright guys, this losing has to stop and stop now.”

Jay Bruce: “But the losing is going to stop. Mr. Castellini said so.”

Weathers: “Rook, shut it.”

Bruce: “But Mr. Castellini said…”

Weathers: “Adam…”

<Dunn drags Bruce out of the clubhouse>

Weathers: “Ok. Now we need to figure out something.”

Edwin Encarnacion: “Yeah. Like where the effing couch went…”

Aaron Harang: “No, Eddie. That’s a miss. Reminds me of your throws from third.”

<Encarnacion glares>

Weathers: “Look, stop the snippy crap! We’re here to figure out how to put an end to this losing streak.”

Brandon Phillips: “Wait. So you mean this meeting isn’t about ME?”

Weathers: “No. No, Brandon. It’s not about you.”

Phillips: “Ok. Well then I’m out…”

<Phillips wanders off to find a reporter who’d like to talk about Phillips>

Joey Votto: “That didn’t go so good, eh?”

Bronson Arroyo: “Joey, stop that. The next time you finish a sentence with “eh” I start singing. We just broke you out of calling a cap a “toque” so don’t freakin’ relapse on us.”

Weathers: “Look guys, can we please get this meeting back on track?”

<Weathers’ cell phone rings>

Weathers: “Hello?”

Caller: “Hello. This is Adam from…uh…Boston…”

Weathers: “Adam from where? Who are you?”

Caller: “Adam from Boston. So…like…do you have your pants on?”

Weathers: “Pants? What are you…waitaminit! Adam! Get your butt back in here. We’re having a meeting for gosh sakes.”

Caller: “I’m not coming if you’re not wearing pants…”

Weathers: <click>

Jeff Keppinger: “Y’know, David is right. We should all be bustin’ our butts right now and show that we’re happy to be here! It was only a couple years ago that I was in triple-A ball hittin’ weak grounders to the right side. And now here I am doing it in the Show!”

<Team collectively wonders if Keppinger should speak at all>

Weathers: “Alright. Now back to what we were talking….”

<Corey Patterson bursts into the clubhouse>

Patterson: “Guys! GUYS! I was just talking to Dusty and he gave me these!! <Patterson holds out his hand>

Josh Fogg: “Corey, what are those??”

Patterson: “They’re toothpicks!”

David Ross: “Why do they look all chewed up?”

Patterson: “Dusty says they’re MAGIC toothpicks! He chewed on ‘em in San Francisco. Says they were given to him by Hank Aaron himself!”

Fogg: "Really?? Can I have one? I need all the magic I can get. Sorry Gary, no offense, but I didn't mean you."

Gary Majewski: "No offense taken, Josh. I'm sure at this point it hurts to watch me even relieve myself. By the way, has anyone seen the trainer?"

Patterson: "Sorry, Josh, but you can't have one. Dusty said something about how folks like you..."

<Weathers’ cell phone rings>

Weathers: “Hello? Hellooooo??? Adam if this is you again, I’m not…”

Caller: “No. This is Jay! Put me on speaker!!”

<Weathers enables speakerphone>

Caller: “Hey guys! This is Jay. Adam and I found the couch!!! And while we were looking, we found a couple of leather recliners. Adam and Brandon moved ‘em to the visitors clubhouse and are playing NCAA 2009 on the PS3! You all can come watch, but don't pay too much attention to Adam because Brandon doesn't like it.”

<Entire team rushes from the clubhouse to watch. Weathers sits dejected at his locker. Dusty Baker strolls in.>

Baker: “So how’d the meeting go?”

Weathers: “About as expected…”

Baker: “Good. So Corey didn’t give you one of those toothpicks, did he?”

Weathers: “Uh…no. Why do you ask?”

Baker: “Well, because white folks…”

<END OF TRANSCRIPT>

KronoRed
08-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Good stuff as always Steel :lol:

RedsManRick
08-03-2008, 11:20 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

WVRedsFan
08-03-2008, 11:37 PM
I laughed and then I realized this isn't too far off--except for the tootpick story, of course.

Woe is us?

RosieRed
08-04-2008, 01:56 AM
Steel, that made me laugh. A lot. Thanks. :)

RichRed
08-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Great stuff, Steel. :)

BRM
08-04-2008, 09:14 AM
That's hilarious! Nice work, Steel.

Ltlabner
08-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Not to fear. Doc Rogers said on Extra Innings yesterday that it takes 2 or 3 days for the results of a team meeting to show up.

He said it on the radio, I have no choice other than to believe it.

marcshoe
08-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Was this before or after he said that the only problem with Corey Patterson was that he wasn't getting enough playing time?

(btw, I was wary of opening this thread today, given that I injured three ribs reading Steel's post last night.)

Ltlabner
08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Was this before or after he said that the only problem with Corey Patterson was that he wasn't getting enough playing time?

(btw, I was wary of opening this thread today, given that I injured three ribs reading Steel's post last night.)

I think it was in the same segment, if you can believe that. :eek:

I never listen to the guy exept for about 5 minutes last night. If he was serrious, I have no intentions of listening in the future.

REDREAD
08-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Dusty has never met the project managers I work with, I agree with him on this 110%.

I agree. If Dusty gets fired, I want him running the place I work at :)

coachw513
08-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Best reading in a long time Steel...

BCubb2003
08-04-2008, 10:11 AM

What if he makes that flashy but one-dimensional guy in sales the lead salesperson?

WebScorpion
08-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I think the results of the meeting are self-evident. They obviously decided to go for the #1 draft choice next year and the Nats need to win more to make that possible. ;)

BCubb2003
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I would like to see a stat on the W-L record after team meetings. It's probably not very good, and Doc Rodgers is probably right that any positive effect, if there's going to be one, shows up a few days later.

Hoosier Red
08-04-2008, 11:16 AM
I would like to see a stat on the W-L record after team meetings. It's probably not very good, and Doc Rodgers is probably right that any positive effect, if there's going to be one, shows up a few days later.

That's a little bit skewed though. No team has a team meeting when things are going well. So a win-loss record is probably going to be poor.

gonelong
08-04-2008, 11:37 AM

I'm sure it'd be great to have your accounting office working in sales, your sales staff working out on the line, your welders working on the new marketing campaign, etc. :eek:

GL

Falls City Beer
08-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm sure it'd be great to have your accounting office working in sales, your sales staff working out on the line, your welders working on the new marketing campaign, etc. :eek:

GL

I think some places could probably use a realignment like this.

westofyou
08-04-2008, 04:17 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Said Dunn, “It wasn’t so much a meeting as an open forum. And everybody had in-put. Things not needed to be accomplished got accomplished. It isn’t like we’re not playing hard. We’re playing hard but just not getting it done. Trying hard doesn’t get it done, apparently. It’s all about production and we’re not doing it.

“We’re beating ourselves,” added Dunn. “They’re making every single play in the field and we’re making none. Like today. First inning. The ball is hit at me and I should at least knock it down and I can’t even do that.”

edabbs44
08-04-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Said Dunn, “It wasn’t so much a meeting as an open forum. And everybody had in-put. Things not needed to be accomplished got accomplished. It isn’t like we’re not playing hard. We’re playing hard but just not getting it done. Trying hard doesn’t get it done, apparently. It’s all about production and we’re not doing it.

“We’re beating ourselves,” added Dunn. “They’re making every single play in the field and we’re making none. Like today. First inning. The ball is hit at me and I should at least knock it down and I can’t even do that.”

Tell Adam Dunn that he is crazy. No need for open forums. And butchering plays is OK. Just tell the reporter your current OPS.

RedsManRick
08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Clearly Adam Dunn doesn't care.

KronoRed
08-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Clearly Adam Dunn doesn't care.

Who cares what he says or anything else, the guy is not a ballplayer and only cares about hitting homeruns and nintendos.

RedsManRick
08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Who cares what he says or anything else, the guy is not a ballplayer and only cares about hitting homeruns and nintendos.

While sitting on a plush leather sofa.