PDA

View Full Version : Where will the Reds draft in '09?

fearofpopvol1
08-03-2008, 07:53 PM
After all of this losing this year, one thing is for sure...the Reds are likely to have a decent draft spot again next year.

Where do you think they will officially land? There's obviously almost 2 months left in this season, but if the season ended today, the Reds would draft 7th next year.

I've heard the class next year doesn't look so strong. Can anyone validate that?

New Fever
08-03-2008, 07:55 PM
After all of this losing this year, one thing is for sure...the Reds are likely to have a decent draft spot again next year.

Where do you think they will officially land? There's obviously almost 2 months left in this season, but if the season ended today, the Reds would draft 7th next year.

I've heard the class next year doesn't look so strong. Can anyone validate that?

Jim Callis said in of his recent chats that the draft rates out to be average.

redsmetz
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
At the rate the current first rounders are signing (few have), it's possible there may be a few more players available next year. Of course, we'll know more at the end of August 12th (and assuming these guys don't fall on their faces playing amateur ball).

GoReds33
08-05-2008, 10:34 AM
IMO, we should draft a starter. Sure we have some great young arms up now, but if one of them fails, we have little fallback. If we could get a college arm that could be in the bigs in a year or less, that would be a terrific pickup.

camisadelgolf
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM
IMO, we should draft a starter. Sure we have some great young arms up now, but if one of them fails, we have little fallback. If we could get a college arm that could be in the bigs in a year or less, that would be a terrific pickup.

I'd say the Reds are in better shape for future 'fallback' than most organizations. Daryl Thompson, Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, Ben Jukich, Sam LeCure, Travis Wood, Jordan Smith, Scott Carroll, Alex Smit, Jeremy Horst, Evan Hildenbrandt, Shea Snowden, Kyle Lotzkar, etc. If the Reds are going to draft for need, I'm not sure I'd put pitching at the top of the list. I'd look more toward shortstop or catcher. Who do they have in the middle infield beyond Chris Valaika, Justin Turner, Alex Buchholz, Paul Janish, and Zack Cozart?

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
With Dunn and Griffey now gone, and with Cueto and Volquez more than likely to be shut down sometime in September, the Reds have a legit shot at a top five pick right now. I don't see the Reds finishing worse than Seattle, Washington, or San Diego but the number four pick looks like it will belong to the Reds next June.

Grande Donkey
08-11-2008, 08:25 PM
5 and 7b. 1 of the picks is going to be Kentrail Davis... at least I hope he is.

redhawk61
08-11-2008, 08:30 PM
5 and 7b. 1 of the picks is going to be Kentrail Davis... at least I hope he is.
I don't think he is eligible next year, could be wrong tough. I think he is going to be a Sophmore this year so he is still two years away

Grande Donkey
08-11-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't think he is eligible next year, could be wrong tough. I think he is going to be a Sophmore this year so he is still two years awayHe is only going to be a Sophomore but he is eligible because he will be 21 withing 45 days of the draft. It is a loophole that will allow him to be drafted (by the Reds:D) next year.

Benihana
08-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe they traded Dunn so that they can tank the rest of the year and get the top pick? ;)

redhawk61
08-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Maybe they traded Dunn so that they can tank the rest of the year and get the top pick? ;)
Steven Strasburg please :pray:

NorrisHopper30
08-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Where can I find a list of top '09 draft prospects?

OnBaseMachine
08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
While I won't be rooting for the Reds to lose, probably the best thing that could happen to them right now is to go on a long losing streak and solidify a top four draft pick for next season. The Nationals, Padres, and Mariners all pretty much have the first three picks locked up but the "race" for the fourth overall pick is wide open right now. Steven Strasburg is probably a lock for the number one overall pick. The next best player in Grant Green, who I want badly. Check out this tidbit on Green:

Green is clearly the top shortstop for the 2009 draft at this point, and he's the top overall position prospect as well. He was an easy choice for the No. 1 prospect in the Cape this summer. One scouting director I spoke to said he embodied the best of Troy Tulowitzki and Evan Longoria, and others compared his bat to Longoria's, high praise indeed. Though he's 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, Green should be able to stay at shortstop.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2008/266741.html

Green's bat is being compared to Evan Longoria and he also plays very good defense at shortstop. There is no chance he falls out of the top four spots and probably not even the top two. I think our best hope for landing Green is we end up with the number four overall pick and a couple of those teams ahead of us draft a high school player.

kpresidente
08-25-2008, 04:47 PM
I'd say the Reds are in better shape for future 'fallback' than most organizations. Daryl Thompson, Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, Ben Jukich, Sam LeCure, Travis Wood, Jordan Smith, Scott Carroll, Alex Smit, Jeremy Horst, Evan Hildenbrandt, Shea Snowden, Kyle Lotzkar, etc. If the Reds are going to draft for need, I'm not sure I'd put pitching at the top of the list. I'd look more toward shortstop or catcher. Who do they have in the middle infield beyond Chris Valaika, Justin Turner, Alex Buchholz, Paul Janish, and Zack Cozart?

I've read that Ryan Jackson from Miami looks to go in the 5-10 range.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/jackson_ryan00.html

11larkin11
08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Anyone want to take a flyer this year on Crow?

LoganBuck
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Anyone want to take a flyer this year on Crow?

No, his mechanics will betray him.

camisadelgolf
08-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Crow's mechanics are as bad as advertised, but I wouldn't pull my pitchfork out of the shed if the Reds drafted him. He's really good, and if he throws only 500 innings in the Major Leagues before his first major arm surgery, as long as he pitches average or better, I think it's still a good draft pick.

redhawk61
08-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Crow's mechanics are as bad as advertised, but I wouldn't pull my pitchfork out of the shed if the Reds drafted him. He's really good, and if he throws only 500 innings in the Major Leagues before his first major arm surgery, as long as he pitches average or better, I think it's still a good draft pick.
for a #4 pick. that's not good

ChatterRed
08-26-2008, 09:10 AM
The Reds need to steal some pitching coaching from organizations that have been successful.

camisadelgolf
08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
for a #4 pick. that's not good

We all have different definitions of good. I would hope that the Reds get no worse than the fourt-best player available in the draft, but there are so many factors that make it extremely unlikely for that to happen. I look at draft picks as free agents: If they sign a guy with a $4,000,000 signing bonus, I expect him to provide the Reds with that much value on the field (which could be a league average right fielder for a year or two). I hope for more, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect all draft picks, even in the first round, to be worthy of their draft slots.

RedEye
08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
We all have different definitions of good. I would hope that the Reds get no worse than the fourt-best player available in the draft, but there are so many factors that make it extremely unlikely for that to happen. I look at draft picks as free agents: If they sign a guy with a $4,000,000 signing bonus, I expect him to provide the Reds with that much value on the field (which could be a league average right fielder for a year or two). I hope for more, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect all draft picks, even in the first round, to be worthy of their draft slots.

So you are hoping for at least one year of ML average performance out of Alonso? I think he'll at least do that.

RedEye
08-26-2008, 01:31 PM

So you are hoping for at least one year of ML average performance out of Alonso? I think he'll at least do that.

camisadelgolf
08-26-2008, 01:32 PM

Yeah, kind of. For a contract of Alonso's size, I'd probably expect a little more than an average first baseman for one year but not much more. What I mean is that if he performs enough to be deserving of his contract (and who knows what $6mm will be worth in a couple years?), then it was a good pick in the sense that the Reds got their money's worth. Sure, that would mean there could have been much better picks, but as long as the Reds get what they paid for, I won't complain about the draft pick.

If the Reds give a 15th rounder a $10,000 signing bonus who ends up being a late-inning defensive replacement for a few years, I think that was a very good draft pick. Part of my logic comes from the fact that the overwhelming majority of draft picks never even play a single game in the Major Leagues.

fearofpopvol1
09-01-2008, 05:48 PM
If the season ended today, the Reds would draft 8th next year.

Seems like Washington, San Diego and Seattle will almost surely get the 1st 3 picks in some order. The other spots, to varying degrees, seem to be a bit more up for grabs.

OnBaseMachine
09-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Grant Green was named the best prospect in the Cape Cod League today by Baseball America. One scouting director compared him to a mix between Troy Tulowitzki and Evan Longoria. I would love to see the Reds get him but it's not going to happen unless the Reds lose about 25 games in a row. I'd say Strasburg and Green will go 1-2 in the draft.

redhawk61
09-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I've read that Ryan Jackson from Miami looks to go in the 5-10 range.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/jackson_ryan00.html
Yeah keep an eye on him, could be a very good pick:

http://perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=28115
Ryan Jackson is a shortstop from Miami Springs, FL with a lean athletic build at 6-2, 170 lbs. excellent hands, very accurate, quick strong arm, good feet, nice turns on DP's, outstanding actions and body control, switch hitter, line drive swing plane, good bat speed, hits good pitching, potential to hit for power down the road, one of the top defensive infielders in the country, big time prospect, good student

Benihana
09-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah keep an eye on him, could be a very good pick:

http://perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=28115
Ryan Jackson is a shortstop from Miami Springs, FL with a lean athletic build at 6-2, 170 lbs. excellent hands, very accurate, quick strong arm, good feet, nice turns on DP's, outstanding actions and body control, switch hitter, line drive swing plane, good bat speed, hits good pitching, potential to hit for power down the road, one of the top defensive infielders in the country, big time prospect, good student

sounds eerily similar to the pre-draft scouting report on David Espinosa

lollipopcurve
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
sounds eerily similar to the pre-draft scouting report on David Espinosa

Jackson's from a top college program. Espinosa was a high schooler (and his defense was considered a bit suspect).

Very intrigued by the bat of Dustin Ackley, a pure LH hitter from UNC. Rated #2 prospect on the Cape. Sounds like the kid can really rake, and there's talk of moving him to CF. There are going to be some nice arms there for the Reds, too, probably high schoolers.

Gallen5862
09-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Where do the Reds stand at now in Draft order? Is it 8th pick so far?

New Fever
09-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Where do the Reds stand at now in Draft order? Is it 8th pick so far?

Yes, we are guarenteed the 8th pick.

Bip Roberts
09-28-2008, 06:50 PM
the Nationals get 2 1st rounders this year since they didnt sign Crow.

Gallen5862
09-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Yes, we are guarenteed the 8th pick.
Thanks New Fever.

Gallen5862
09-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Who might be available for the Reds pick? Crow or another college pitcher would be nice. What Bats might be worth picking at #8?

dougdirt
09-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Who might be available for the Reds pick? Crow or another college pitcher would be nice. What Bats might be worth picking at #8?

Way too soon to tell.

Bip Roberts
09-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I still can't believe Crow didnt take the money.

OnBaseMachine
09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
The Nationals will get the No.1 overall pick. Stephen Strasburg, step on down. The Nats really screwed up by not signing Aaron Crow. Imagine grabbing Crow and Strasburg in back to back seasons. That's a good way of turning an organization around quickly.

redhawk61
09-28-2008, 07:48 PM
As of now my early favorite in that slot is Miami SS Ryan Jackson

New Fever
09-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Draft Order (Bolded teams are pending tomorrow results.)

1. Washington
2. Seattle
3. San Diego
4. Pittsburgh
5. Baltimore
6. San Francisco
7. Atlanta
8. Cincinnati
9. Colorado
10. Washington ( Failure to sign Aaron Crow)
11. Detroit
12. Kansas City
13. Oakland
14. Texas
15. Cleveland
16. Arizona
17. Los Angeles (NL)
18. Florida
19. St. Louis
20. Toronto
21. Houston
22. Chicago (AL)