PDA

View Full Version : DUHsty quote, from Lance, per ORG

BLEEDS
08-04-2008, 03:04 PM
"I have never wanted to win more than I do right here, and I will, but this is Wayne Krivsky's team, not Walt Jocketty's and not mine. I just hope there is enough out there after the season that we can get to help us." - Dusty Baker in Dayton Daily News

also quoted from this thread:

Quote:
2/1/08 Signed C Paul Bako and LHP Scott Sauerbeck to Minor League contracts and invited them to Spring Training.

3/3/08 Signed 2B Jerry Hairston and OF Corey Patterson to Minor League contracts with invitations to Spring Training.
"""
"""

Wow. I am REALLY disappointed if Dusty said that. Seriously, what a CROCK!!!

He had MAJOR say in the construction of this 25/40 man roster.

What about all he said and did about Stanton, and even Bruce pre-season.

He couldn't have had ANYTHING to do with CFP being signed instead of someone REALISTIC like Kenny Lofton to come play CF for a year. $3M for CFP. STILL can't get over that.

And, yet another quote from the ORG thread:
""
Dusty was the wrong hire for the 2008 Reds... this was never going to be the type of team that would play to his strengths, instead it was just going to put a spotlight his weaknesses.
""

OBVIOUSLY this has shown to be true. He has done NOTHING to help himself by utilizing the players he HAD on this team to the Best of their Abilities. CFP's 134 AB's in the leadoff spot exemplifies this the best of course.
He's gotten a bit better as of late, but it shouldn't take 4 months of ineptitude to determine that CFP needs to bat in the 7/8/9 range - I would seriously consider batting the pitcher in front of him.

This is truly unclassy of Dusty. I knew he wasn't the smartest stats-guy out there, but I always thought he had at least some shred of integrity and class, but this has me seriously re-thinking that.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

goreds2
08-04-2008, 03:43 PM
"I have never wanted to win more than I do right here, and I will, but this is Wayne Krivsky's team, not Walt Jocketty's and not mine.

Wayne hired DUSTY soooooo DUSTY should go then.

Jack Burton
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
This is absolutely pathetic, Dusty showing everybody the true weasel that he is. I'm pretty sure all Reds fans are in agreement that it hasn't worked out and Dusty needs to go.

texasdave
08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
http://www.kffl.com/player/4710/MLB

I find it curious that Dusty would say this is Krivsky's team and run from any responsibility in regards to the construction of the team in light of this blurb.

Reds | Baker's job to include advising GMWed, 31 Oct 2007 23:17:36 -0700

John Fay, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker will act as an adviser to general manager Wayne Krivsky on personnel matters prior to the 2008 season. "We've talked briefly - not in depth," Baker said. "We're going to talk more. We're going to talk about what we need, who's been healthy, who's been injured, try to find out why. Dissect the team as much as I can before the winter meetings. Most of that is Wayne's department. But I'm there as an adviser."

Redeye fly
08-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Keep in mind quotes are taken out of context almost all the time.

But yeah, if he said that than Dusty has some serious explaining to do.

Fon Duc Tow
08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I remember when I first heard the news that the Reds had hired Dusty Baker. I remember what I thought would happen.

...and here we are. :rolleyes: How many years left on Baker's contract?

BLEEDS
08-04-2008, 04:56 PM

Not sure what context that statement could be taken out of, that would make it anything that couldn't be considered pure blasphemy.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I remember when I first heard the news that the Reds had hired Dusty Baker. I remember what I thought would happen.

...and here we are. :rolleyes: How many years left on Baker's contract?

True that - he might as well say "I can't win with CFP, Jerry Hairston, and Paul Bako - even though I told Wayne to go get them. I CAN win with a Sammy Sosa or a Barry Bonds and 2-3 All-Star pitchers though!!"

When is Castellini going to come out and say he can't win with Dusty Baker filling out the lineup card every game?!!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
08-04-2008, 05:19 PM
YAWN. Another day in Redspoopland.

edogg07
08-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Man Dusty cant say anything he makes dumb decesions but he is speaking the truth this roster is awful. They could Dusty tonight and i could careless but this roster needs a major overhaul. You can give the Corey P agurment and your right and that Paul Bako sucks and your right even though Ross and Javy suck too. The point is Arroyo has the worst ERA for a starter in baseball (WK guy) Josh Fogg (WK guy) ERA over 7. We can a shortstop in Kepp who cant hit anymore and never could play defense. So blame Dusty and I blame him too but until there is an upgrade of talent it wont matter. Lets not forget WK put together the worst bench in the history of baseball.

Blue
08-04-2008, 06:10 PM
YAWN. Another day in Redspoopland.

Never has someone summed up my feelings so succinctly.

Dusty should be charged with attempted murder for throwing Wayner under the bus like that.

Redeye fly
08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Not sure what context that statement could be taken out of, that would make it anything that couldn't be considered pure blasphemy.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

You're probably right. But I just don't necessarily trust or believe a lot of what's put out there by the media... even though I actually work for Dayton Daily News.

But I suppose it would be a bit of poetic justice for Walt to say, Dusty was a Wayne Krivsky guy, not mine, so he's out of here.

But of course, I think he was probably a Bob Castellini guy as well, so that probably won't happen just yet.

kpresidente
08-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Almost word for word what I was going to say. It's such and outrageous statement I'd have to see the rest of the interview.

Orodle
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Dusty still playing Corey Patterson is all that needs to be said here.

kpresidente
08-04-2008, 09:13 PM

For example:

Hypothetical question:
"Dusty, how do you respond to criticism saying the reason the Reds losing isn't because of the talent on the team, but rather is a direct result of you and WJ's lackadaiscial attitude about winning?"

Dusty:
"I have never wanted to win more than I do right here, and I will, but this is Wayne Krivsky's team, not Walt Jocketty's and not mine. I just hope there is enough out there after the season that we can get to help us."

See, in that context it's a perfectly reasonable and appropriate response!

kpresidente
08-04-2008, 09:17 PM
But of course, I think he was probably a Bob Castellini guy as well, so that probably won't happen just yet.

Dusty was almost certainly a Castellini hire. It was a 180 from WK's style.

UK Reds Fan
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Crap like this makes me wonder...why pay a manager anything. If it is all about the players, pay the players and the GM who puts it all together and let that be that. If this is Dusty's mindset, resign from manager and go for the GM jobs around baseball.

Blue
08-04-2008, 09:32 PM

PEACE

-BLEEDS

How about this?

Reporter: "Dusty, what would you say to someone if you wanted to take no responsibility whatsoever for the performance of your team this season?"

Dusty: "I have never wanted to win more than I do right here, and I will, but this is Wayne Krivsky's team, not Walt Jocketty's and not mine. I just hope there is enough out there after the season that we can get to help us."

kpresidente
08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
How about this?

Reporter: "Dusty, what would you say to someone if you wanted to take no responsibility whatsoever for the performance of your team this season?"

Dusty: "I have never wanted to win more than I do right here, and I will, but this is Wayne Krivsky's team, not Walt Jocketty's and not mine. I just hope there is enough out there after the season that we can get to help us."

Or, more reasonably:

Reporter: "Dusty, do you think this team is underachieving, or do you perceive a lack of talent assembled by the GM? As a follow-up, if you do perceive a lack of talent, does that make it harder for you to focus on winning now, as opposed to some point in the future?"

Again, totally appropriate response in that context.

BLEEDS
08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
For example:

Hypothetical question:
"Dusty, how do you respond to criticism saying the reason the Reds losing isn't because of the talent on the team, but rather is a direct result of you and WJ's lackadaiscial attitude about winning?"

Dusty:
"I have never wanted to win more than I do right here, and I will, but this is Wayne Krivsky's team, not Walt Jocketty's and not mine. I just hope there is enough out there after the season that we can get to help us."

See, in that context it's a perfectly reasonable and appropriate response!

Straw, meet Grasp.

Yeah, reporters ask those kinds of tough questions ALL the time...
NOT!!

:thumbdown

PEACE

-BLEEDS

kpresidente
08-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Yeah, reporters ask those kinds of tough questions ALL the time...

Sure they do. They just clothe it in more polite language.

Thing is, managers don't say things like Dusty's quote unless they're asked tough questions. That's why you want to see the context of something like that before jumping to conclusions.

08-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Even if it was taken out of context, he should know better than to say something like that. Regardless, I see the silver lining in it.

He is saying that he and Jocketty don't like the makeup of this club. That is great news, because it means that they realize that they need to make some real changes. That is what is important about that quote.

ChatterRed
08-05-2008, 07:58 AM
A Dusty apologist. Now I've seen it all.

BLEEDS
08-05-2008, 12:00 PM
How about this?

I think that is more realistic.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

kpresidente
08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
A Dusty apologist. Now I've seen it all.

I'm not a Dusty apologist. I think he's the biggest problem on the team. I'm just not stupid enough to jump at everything I hear.

kpresidente
08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
I think that is more realistic.

That explains a lot.

AFalcon10
08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Im not sure where all of you are on this but.. I miss Krivsky.

Jack Burton
08-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Krivsky was fired because we weren't winning, see how we turned it around since then. The culprit for this joke of a team is Dusty, hopefully WJ fires this coward and soon. Should have been gone in May after we realized he was semi-retarded.

ThirdBaseCoach
08-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I can guarantee you, dude, that Pete would have done a much better job than DUHsty this year. Granted this team is short on talent. But we would not have to suffer thru Corey, Bako, etc.

Would we be over 500? Probably not, but we would at least not be dropping like one of DUHsty's toothpicks.

BLEEDS
08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I can guarantee you, dude, that Pete would have done a much better job than DUHsty this year. Granted this team is short on talent. But we would not have to suffer thru Corey, Bako, etc.

Would we be over 500? Probably not, but we would at least not be dropping like one of DUHsty's toothpicks.

He certainly couldn't have done any worse.

I'll tell you this - while I can't FAULT the guy for TRYING CFP in the lead-off position, someone with 1/3rd of a brain could tell after 4-6 weeks that it wasn't going to work out. Dude hadn't changed his spots, he was a .300 OBP guy for his career and that don't belong in the lead-off spot.
The fact that it took him until last week to get a quote out there about "CFP not getting on base as much as I'd like, so he's batting 7th" is Preposterous at best.

The guy just can't put a lineup together - although he lucks into an ideal one against LHP - but he can't realize the strengths/weaknesses of players and put them in an ideal situation to win, I don't know what ELSE the purpose of a manager is to be. Right now, his best Asset is talking about Hank Aaron as much as possible, which really doesn't translate to any improvement on the field by any of his players.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Manut Bol
08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
The last thing this organization needs is to fire Dusty Baker. How about a little consistency at manager. It's his first year here. He has a pretty good track record. Did anyone really expect to win the World Series or something this year?

Give it time.

ThirdBaseCoach
08-07-2008, 04:04 PM
The last thing this organization needs is to fire Dusty Baker. How about a little consistency at manager. It's his first year here. He has a pretty good track record. Did anyone really expect to win the World Series or something this year?

Give it time.

Let's review his four-year tenure in Chicago. He took a world series quality team in 2003 down to the cellar in four short years. Oh, look. Reds are already there. How low can DUHsty take them?

Fon Duc Tow
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
How low can DUHsty take them?

soon come.