2)Mike Lincoln-RH bullpen
3)David Ross-C
4)Joey Hairston-UTL

Free Agent Targets:
1)Gabe Kapler-CF RH Batter too.
2)Scott Downs-LHRP nasty guy for the pen
3)Eric Hinske-1B/OF
4)Jon Garland-RHSP

I think these acquisitions can be made to improve our team w/o breaking the bank, this is what 2009 would like like.

Starters: Dunn,Kapler,Bruce,EE,Gonzo,BP,Votto,Ross
Bench:Hanigan(C) Hairston(UTL) Hinske(1b/OF) Freel(OF) Keppinger(INF)

Bullpen:Cordero,Burton,Downs,Majewski,Bray,Lincoln ,Masset
Starting Pitching: Harang,Volquez,Arroyo,Garland,Cueto

Thoughts?

Degenerate39
08-05-2008, 02:17 AM
I'd like to see Roenicke in the pen but overall I like where you're going.

OnBaseMachine
08-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Scott Downs signed a 3-year deal with the Blue Jays a while back.

Patrick Bateman
08-05-2008, 02:19 AM
And the rest of the players stink. I'll pass.

WVRedsFan
08-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Here ar some FA targets I would like the Reds to go after in the offseason:

Resign:
1)Adam Dunn-LF
2)Mike Lincoln-RH bullpen
3)David Ross-C
4)Joey Hairston-UTL

Free Agent Targets:
1)Gabe Kapler-CF RH Batter too.
2)Scott Downs-LHRP nasty guy for the pen
3)Eric Hinske-1B/OF
4)Jon Garland-RHSP

I think these acquisitions can be made to improve our team w/o breaking the bank, this is what 2009 would like like.

Starters: Dunn,Kapler,Bruce,EE,Gonzo,BP,Votto,Ross
Bench:Hanigan(C) Hairston(UTL) Hinske(1b/OF) Freel(OF) Keppinger(INF)

Bullpen:Cordero,Burton,Downs,Majewski,Bray,Lincoln ,Masset
Starting Pitching: Harang,Volquez,Arroyo,Garland,Cueto

Thoughts?
Good thoughts. I would resign Dunn and Lincoln, providing the price isn't too high, but I have reservations on Hairston and Ross. Hairston has serious health issues, as we know by now and there are just so many slots for utility players. What are you going to do with Keppenger, Freel, and Hairston? Sure it would give you many options, but that seems like too many.

I don't want anything to do with Ross. He had his hot streak and how is moving back toward his usual and career .233/.309/.747 numbers. What he would command wouldn't be worth it. I think we need to look elsewhere and get rid of Valentin and Bako, too.

NO problems with your proposed acquisitions with the exception of Garland. He gives up too many hits. He seems like a fifth starter, and if so, maybe he would be OK, once again depending on the price.

Homer Bailey
08-05-2008, 04:05 AM
What about Rod Barajas?

camisadelgolf
08-05-2008, 06:48 AM
I have absolutely no desire to see Jon Garland and the contract he would require in Great American Ballpark with the Reds' defense.

My problem with retaining Jerry Hairston, Jr. is that he would be over-utilized. The Reds already have Ryan Freel and Jeff Keppinger anyway.

I don't care either way if the Reds keep Mike Lincoln around. If they choose to keep him, I just hope it's not a multi-year deal.

I absolutely believe picking up Dave Ross' option would be a good idea, and I'm all for re-signing Dunn (and then trading him for bigger needs after two years).

The Reds already have Rod Barajas, and his name is Paul Bako. I wouldn't want him.

I'd love to have Eric Hinske on the bench, but with the third base market being so thin every year, he might be able to get a multi-year contract and a starting job elsewhere.

I also like the idea of Gabe Kapler, but he's getting older, and I think Dickerson could play a better center field at this point.

If it were me, I wouldn't make too many moved for 2009 and focus on winning in 2010 and beyond. With that said, I'd let go of all the free-agents-to-be (except Dunn and possibly Affeldt, depending on the price) and move on without them.

My 2009 squad:
CF Ryan Freel (.357 career OBP plus speed to get around the bases; he'd be the center fielder and Dusty will still be manager anyway)
1B Joey Votto (have you seen him lately?)
LF Adam Dunn (best hitter needs more plate appearances)
3B Edwin Encarnacion (if there is such thing as a clutch hitter, EE is the Reds' closest thing to it)
RF Jay Bruce (can mash the ball and with so many OBP guys ahead of him, this makes a good spot for him)
2B Brandon Phillips (Bruce doesn't walk so much, so less GIDP)
SS Alex Gonzalez (he's an OBP hole, but he's got some pop; his defense is so much better than Keppinger's that I'd rather Seabass be the starter)
C Dave Ross (underrated; his BB/K ratio is superb this year, and he can hit for power)

C Ryan Hanigan (just in case Ross repeats 2007, the Reds can have some offensive abilities from the catcher position)
IF Jeff Keppinger (super-sub; can get the runner over, hit an occasional homerun, and not embarrass you with his infield defense)
IF Paul Janish (late inning defensive sub; AGon will probably be injured a lot anyway)
OF Norris Hopper (makes great contact, has good speed, and is a great bunter)
OF Chris Dickerson (would probably make Dunn look like a contact hitter but plays excellent defense and has plenty of speed)

Notes:
If Adam Rosales or Danny Richar are ready, I'd consider them over Paul Janish because Janish can't hit a lick, Richar hits left-handed, and Rosales could be the right-handed power bat. I'd also consider calling up Shaun Cumberland over Chris Dickerson--especially if Cumberland needs to be on the 40-man roster anyway.

If the Reds can't re-sign Dunn, I'd like to see them go after Rafael Furcal at shortstop. Regardless of Dunn being extended or not, I'd like to see Jay Payton or Juan Rivera signed (or someone else who could put up good rebound numbers on the cheap).

SP Edinson Volquez
SP Aaron Harang
SP Bronson Arroyo
SP Johnny Cueto
SP Matt Belisle
RP Francisco Cordero
RP Jared Burton
RP Bill Bray
RP Gary Majewski
RP Todd Coffey
RP Nick Masset
RP Bobby Livingston

Notes:
The fifth starter position would go to who is best between Belisle, Masset, and Livingston. Hopefully, though, Homer Bailey, Daryl Thompson, and/or Matt Maloney could make a couple of those guys expendable. If some of the minor league bullpen guys look good (i.e. Danny Herrera, Ty Pelland, Robert Manuel, Josh Roenicke, Marcus McBeth, etc.), then I'd like to see them win a job over Todd Coffey and possibly Gary Majewski.

As far as free agents go, there could be a lot of intriguing bullpen arms available. I'd go after at least one of them, but I wouldn't sign anyone to more than a two-year contract. If I couldn't get anyone for a reasonable contract, then I'd go after Juan Rincon, for example, on a cheap, one-year deal.

Strikes Out Looking
08-05-2008, 08:25 AM
The Reds first two priorities in the offseason need to be a real catcher and a CF who can not only catch the ball, but finds a way to get on first base at least 35% of the time without being injured every third day. I'm not sure these two priorities are available as FA's this year--so I'd look for a trade to fill these needs.

camisadelgolf
08-05-2008, 09:39 AM
The Reds first two priorities in the offseason need to be a real catcher and a CF who can not only catch the ball, but finds a way to get on first base at least 35% of the time without being injured every third day. I'm not sure these two priorities are available as FA's this year--so I'd look for a trade to fill these needs.

What would you suggest trading to obtain these? They are both extremely difficult to come by and would take a lot of resources to obtain.

puca
08-05-2008, 10:31 AM
For developing a young pitching staff I think defense should trump offense - especially up the middle.

Don't give extra outs, in fact take some away.

Worked for the Braves.

princeton
08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
For developing a young pitching staff I think defense should trump offense - especially up the middle.

Don't give extra outs, in fact take some away.

Worked for the Braves.

the Jeff Blauser/Jeff Treadway up-the-middle defense?

I think that we've got that easily beat with Kepp/Philips

Kc61
08-05-2008, 10:47 AM

My guess is that Walt views three positions covered for next year, first base, second base, and right field. Everything else is open.

Left field stays if Dunn stays. But he may not sign.

Center field can be cobbled together from current players, but the strong preference is to add a starting guy, as this poster says.

Third base may not be the highest priority, but with EE's .205 BA (.301 SLG) with RISP and 18 errors, it's not a given. If defense is to be emphasized, this is a hot spot.

Shortstop depends on Gonzo. If he is healthy, good as new, they'll probably give him a shot there. He still has a pretty big contract and they won't just dump Gonzo, so this is one spot where change may come slowly.

Catcher is likely the highest priority on the team.

Reds have four starters, Harang, Arroyo, Volq, Cueto. I think they will try to add a top of the rotation type. The four are good, but the numbers aren't great. I look for a big push for a major starter.

Bullpen seems in pretty good shape, particularly with Roenicke and others about ready. Probably will need a lefty to replace Affeldt if he goes.

Bench has three utility types, Hairston, Freel and Keppinger, but some are oft injured. Need a lefty hitter. May also want a Conine type to play against lefties spelling Bruce or Votto occasionally. Ross can be the backup catcher. There will be re-shuffling here.

So I see a lot of work in the off-season. I predict a lot of turnover, particularly among position players.

puca
08-05-2008, 10:54 AM
the Jeff Blauser/Jeff Treadway up-the-middle defense?

I think that we've got that easily beat with Kepp/Philips

That was true in 1990.

In 1991 they replaced Blauser/Treadway with Belliard/Lemke

They shifted Justice to RF and brought in Sid Bream for 1b.

They replaced Presley with a great field and (up to that point) no hit 3b named Terry Pendleton.

In 1992 they moved Gant from CF to LF and brought in Otis Nixon

And guess what, they started winning. Despite the fact that they downgraded offensively in almost every position.

Of course without Terry Pendleton turning into an offensive force it probably wouldn't have happened.

nate
08-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I like Joe Beimel as a LHRP.

RichRed
08-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Third base may not be the highest priority, but with EE's .205 BA (.301 SLG) with RISP and 18 errors, it's not a given. If defense is to be emphasized, this is a hot spot.

Those RISP numbers are in 73 ABs. Yet in 300 ABs w/RISP from '05 to '07, EE put up a line of .317/.405/.500.

Not that I disagree that Jocketty may be exploring other options but I would hope it's not in reaction to the dubious notion that EE can't hit with RISP based on 73 ABs.

Will M
08-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Reds sign Dunn, Teixeira, CC & Orlando Hudson ( with BP moving to SS )!

Back to reality.
1. Reds re sign Dunn for LF.
2. Second big move is to sign Lowe, Burnett or the ageless Jamie Moyer. Why? The Reds would then likely have the best starting rotation in baseball. It also frees up guys like Maloney, Bailey and Thompson to be moved for help elsewhere ( C-CF-3B-etc )

Kc61
08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Those RISP numbers are in 73 ABs. Yet in 300 ABs w/RISP from '05 to '07, EE put up a line of .317/.405/.500.

Not that I disagree that Jocketty may be exploring other options but I would hope it's not in reaction to the dubious notion that EE can't hit with RISP based on 73 ABs.

If Walt looks at career numbers, I think he would include (rather than exclude) the 2008 season.

And, of course, this season isn't over so we'll see EE's RISP numbers when it is over. I don't think Walt will find it irrelevant, however it turns out.

Raisor
08-05-2008, 11:44 AM
If Walt looks at career numbers, I think he would include (rather than exclude) the 2008 season.

And, of course, this season isn't over so we'll see EE's RISP numbers when it is over. I don't think Walt will find it irrelevant, however it turns out.

FWIW, here are his career RISP numbers, including this year

295/.394/.461/.855

fearofpopvol1
08-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I have absolutely no desire to see Jon Garland and the contract he would require in Great American Ballpark with the Reds' defense.

My problem with retaining Jerry Hairston, Jr. is that he would be over-utilized. The Reds already have Ryan Freel and Jeff Keppinger anyway.

I don't care either way if the Reds keep Mike Lincoln around. If they choose to keep him, I just hope it's not a multi-year deal.

I absolutely believe picking up Dave Ross' option would be a good idea, and I'm all for re-signing Dunn (and then trading him for bigger needs after two years).

The Reds already have Rod Barajas, and his name is Paul Bako. I wouldn't want him.

I'd love to have Eric Hinske on the bench, but with the third base market being so thin every year, he might be able to get a multi-year contract and a starting job elsewhere.

I also like the idea of Gabe Kapler, but he's getting older, and I think Dickerson could play a better center field at this point.

If it were me, I wouldn't make too many moved for 2009 and focus on winning in 2010 and beyond. With that said, I'd let go of all the free-agents-to-be (except Dunn and possibly Affeldt, depending on the price) and move on without them.

My 2009 squad:
CF Ryan Freel (.357 career OBP plus speed to get around the bases; he'd be the center fielder and Dusty will still be manager anyway)
1B Joey Votto (have you seen him lately?)
LF Adam Dunn (best hitter needs more plate appearances)
3B Edwin Encarnacion (if there is such thing as a clutch hitter, EE is the Reds' closest thing to it)
RF Jay Bruce (can mash the ball and with so many OBP guys ahead of him, this makes a good spot for him)
2B Brandon Phillips (Bruce doesn't walk so much, so less GIDP)
SS Alex Gonzalez (he's an OBP hole, but he's got some pop; his defense is so much better than Keppinger's that I'd rather Seabass be the starter)
C Dave Ross (underrated; his BB/K ratio is superb this year, and he can hit for power)

C Ryan Hanigan (just in case Ross repeats 2007, the Reds can have some offensive abilities from the catcher position)
IF Jeff Keppinger (super-sub; can get the runner over, hit an occasional homerun, and not embarrass you with his infield defense)
IF Paul Janish (late inning defensive sub; AGon will probably be injured a lot anyway)
OF Norris Hopper (makes great contact, has good speed, and is a great bunter)
OF Chris Dickerson (would probably make Dunn look like a contact hitter but plays excellent defense and has plenty of speed)

Notes:
If Adam Rosales or Danny Richar are ready, I'd consider them over Paul Janish because Janish can't hit a lick, Richar hits left-handed, and Rosales could be the right-handed power bat. I'd also consider calling up Shaun Cumberland over Chris Dickerson--especially if Cumberland needs to be on the 40-man roster anyway.

If the Reds can't re-sign Dunn, I'd like to see them go after Rafael Furcal at shortstop. Regardless of Dunn being extended or not, I'd like to see Jay Payton or Juan Rivera signed (or someone else who could put up good rebound numbers on the cheap).

SP Edinson Volquez
SP Aaron Harang
SP Bronson Arroyo
SP Johnny Cueto
SP Matt Belisle
RP Francisco Cordero
RP Jared Burton
RP Bill Bray
RP Gary Majewski
RP Todd Coffey
RP Nick Masset
RP Bobby Livingston

Notes:
The fifth starter position would go to who is best between Belisle, Masset, and Livingston. Hopefully, though, Homer Bailey, Daryl Thompson, and/or Matt Maloney could make a couple of those guys expendable. If some of the minor league bullpen guys look good (i.e. Danny Herrera, Ty Pelland, Robert Manuel, Josh Roenicke, Marcus McBeth, etc.), then I'd like to see them win a job over Todd Coffey and possibly Gary Majewski.

As far as free agents go, there could be a lot of intriguing bullpen arms available. I'd go after at least one of them, but I wouldn't sign anyone to more than a two-year contract. If I couldn't get anyone for a reasonable contract, then I'd go after Juan Rincon, for example, on a cheap, one-year deal.

This is good stuff. I agree with most of this, though I think Dickerson should have a shot over Freel for CF. Bring him up this year and see what he can do and let that extend into spring training.

Guacarock
08-05-2008, 12:38 PM
How to transform the Reds from goats to go-bots? Here's how.

1. Re-sign Dunn for 4 years, $60-$65 million.
2. To fill our need for a speedy, defense-oriented, high-OBP, lead-off hitting outfielder, approach the Giants about Fred Lewis or the Royals about David DeJesus. Offer quantity for quality to clinch the deal. For instance, the Giants might bite if we packaged Gonzalez and Freel. They have money to spend and even more holes and gaps than we have. Likewise, the Royals might also be persuaded by quantity for quality, but would want cheaper players back, like Encarnacion and Maloney/Bailey.
3. Ship off Arroyo to the pitching-starved Rangers in return for one of their bounty of catchers, plus pocket change. For Arroyo, I'd want a primetime C prospect (Teagarden or Ramirez), not a seat warmer like Laird.
4. If we still had Encarnacion available, trade him for a hot SS prospect -- someone with A-plus defense. This wouldn't need to be an offensive stud, but preferably someone whose bat isn't quite as porous as Janish's. Let the kid caddy for 2009 under the opt-injured Hairston or Keppinger -- take your pick.
5. Finally, work the free-agent market to replace the players we traded away.

To step in for EE at 3B, either grab a plus-defender with a little bit of stick (like the Rockies' Garrett Atkins or White Sox's Joe Crede) or take a flyer on a guy like Dallas McPherson, who wouldn't represent much of an improvement on defense but could really clobber the ball at GABP. The lefty-hitting McPherson is currently playing at the Marlins' AAA affiliate in Albuquerque, and his 38 home runs tops all of professional baseball.

In place of Arroyo, either go for the gusto (Sabathia, Sheets) or else a durable, above-average pitcher who isn't as streaky as Arroyo. Derek Lowe comes to mind. Usually pitches 200-plus innings and wins 12-14 games.

Where does all this lead us? How about this 25-man roster,

1. DeJesus CF
2. Hairston or Keppinger SS
3. Dunn LF
4. Phillips 2B
5. Bruce RF
6. Votto 1B
7. Atkins 3B
8. Teagarden/Ramirez C

Bench: Ross or Hanigan, SS Prospect, McPherson, Hopper, RH bopper (maybe Cody Ross, who I wish we had never traded away to the Fish). C Ross ought to be available with Maybin coming up soon. Maybe the Marlins could swap us Ross for Weathers in a late August deal.

Starting Pitchers

Harang
Volquez
Lowe
Cueto
Open competition amongst Bailey, Thompson, Maloney, Masset, Livingston, whoever's left.

Bullpen

Cordero
Bray
Burton
free agent southpaw like Ohman, Affeldt
Roenicke
Lincoln
Masset

Do the math. Crunch the stats. This team would have a payroll right around $75-$80 million and they would be much more competitive than the current rendition of the Reds. They might not win a playoff berth in 2009, but they ought to get us closer to that goal, with far fewer holes to plug for 2010.

OnBaseMachine
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Where does all this lead us? How about this 25-man roster,

1. DeJesus CF
2. Hairston or Keppinger SS
3. Dunn LF
4. Phillips 2B
5. Bruce RF
6. Votto 1B
7. Atkins 3B
8. Teagarden/Ramirez C

The Reds are in bad shape if Keppinger or Hairston is the starting shortstop next season. Both of those guys are awful shortstops and don't belong there. I'd rather play a great gloveman no stick player at SS before I would let Hairston or Kepp play SS.

camisadelgolf
08-05-2008, 01:31 PM
The Reds are in bad shape if Keppinger or Hairston is the starting shortstop next season. Both of those guys are awful shortstops and don't belong there. I'd rather play a great gloveman no stick player at SS before I would let Hairston or Kepp play SS.

I agree 100%. Keppinger's 2007 offense made up for his solid (but range-lacking) defense, but his 2008 stats, which are probably closer to what his norms would be, the Reds might be better off with the stick-less Paul Janish playing every day.

edabbs44
08-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I agree 100%. Keppinger's 2007 offense made up for his solid (but range-lacking) defense, but his 2008 stats, which are probably closer to what his norms would be, the Reds might be better off with the stick-less Paul Janish playing every day.

Forgetting about Alex Gonzalez?

camisadelgolf
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Forgetting about Alex Gonzalez?

Nope. I mentioned him above as the Reds regular shortstop. But even AGon can hit better than Janish, so I just used Janish as an example of how important defense is.

Guacarock
08-05-2008, 02:33 PM

I don't see Keppinger or Hairston as viable, long-term solutions at SS either. But I can see opening the season with one of them occupying a temporary, placeholder status at the position, while we try out various understudies -- Janish, Richar, any other SS prospects acquired through trade or other means. Presumably, as the season progresses, we'll see which one of the understudies has the best chance to "stick" and we'll ease that candidate into the starting berth, while relegating Keppinger or Hairston to their more rightful place as a supersub.

After that happens, the batting order I proposed would have to be adjusted accordingly. I suspect this new light-hitting SS would bat 8th, moving up either Votto or our new 3B into the No. 2 slot.

The key transition that needs to occur: Continued improvement in our defense (particularly up the middle at C, SS and CF) without further weakening our already shaky, hit-or-miss offense.

Will M
08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
The key transition that needs to occur: Continued improvement in our defense (particularly up the middle at C, SS and CF) without further weakening our already shaky, hit-or-miss offense.

yes

AmarilloRed
08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Herrera and Roenicke over Lincoln in the bullpen.

I also think you give both Cumberland and Dickerson a chance to be the starting CF out of spring training. If they are not ready, then you start Freel.

Hanigan at least as the backup catcher; give him a chance to start in spring training. It would be best if we could trade for a starting catcher or sign one in the off-season, but I would prefer Hanigan over any of our current catchers on the roster to start.

puca
08-05-2008, 04:05 PM

I disagree. I think you must fix the defense even if it weakens the offense.

The result of a bad offense is a lot of losses.

The result of a bad defense is a lot of losses (maybe a few less) but also undo stress on the pitching staff.

Guacarock
08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I disagree. I think you must fix the defense even if it weakens the offense.

The result of a bad offense is a lot of losses.

The result of a bad defense is a lot of losses (maybe a few less) but also undo stress on the pitching staff.

Move us back in the NL West Division and expand the park dimensions at GABP, and maybe your strategy would work. But as long as we compete in the NL Central, we'll need some punch on offense to go along with well-oiled gloves.

puca
08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Move us back in the NL West Division and expand the park dimensions at GABP, and maybe your strategy would work. But as long as we compete in the NL Central, we'll need some punch on offense to go along with well-oiled gloves.

Competing? My goal for next year is the same as it should have been for this year. Namely for the young pitchers to stay healthy and (hopefully) develop.

That is less likely to happen with a bad defense behind it.

This team will never compete with its starters throwing 100+ pitches in 5 innings. Much of that workload falls squarely on the (lack of) defense.

puca
08-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Yet the Cardinals manage while starting Cesar Izturis and Adam Kennedy.

And as do the Brewers despite starting Jason Kendall and Ricky Weeks.

Not every position needs to be above average offensively to compete, but you can't compete with bad defense, particularly up-the-middle.

Guacarock
08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Yet the Cardinals manage while starting Cesar Izturis and Adam Kennedy.

And as do the Brewers despite starting Jason Kendall and Ricky Weeks.

Not every position needs to be above average offensively to compete, but you can't compete with bad defense, particularly up-the-middle.

Straw man argument. I never said every position has to be above-average on offense to compete.

But if you can groom a SS who hits more consistently than Juan Castro or a CF whose offense towers above that of a Patterson, is that such a bad thing? Especially if said SS or CF can field the ball and chew gum at the same time.

SirFelixCat
08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Is it really a pipe dream to think CC could be a Red next season?

That really opens up the prospect of Homer ---> Texas for Teagarden? So by adding CC, you shore up the catching as well.

As for SS and CF, no idea. Dickerson couldn't be THAT bad, right?

RedLegSuperStar
08-05-2008, 09:21 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com/MLB4u.com:

Presenting...your 2009 free agent class. It's fun to look ahead, even if many of these guys will be off the market a year from now. Just to clarify, the players below are eligible for free agency after the 2008 season.

I've categorized them by position; the player's 2009 age is in parentheses. If I saw someone as a possibility at more than one position I put them at both.

Updated 8-4-08

Catchers
Rod Barajas (33)- $2.5MM club option for '09 with a $0.5MM buyout
Michael Barrett (32)
Johnny Estrada (33)
Jason Kendall (35) - club option for '09; vests with 110 games played in '08
Paul Lo Duca (37)
Miguel Olivo (30) - $2.7MM club option for '09 with a $0.1MM buyout
Ivan Rodriguez (37)
David Ross (32)
Jason Varitek (37)
Gregg Zaun (38)

First basemen
Sean Casey (34)
Tony Clark (37)
Carlos Delgado (37) - $16MM mutual option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Jason Giambi (38) - $22MM club option for '09 with a $5MM buyout
Eric Hinske (31)
Doug Mientkiewicz (35)
Kevin Millar (37)
Richie Sexson (34)
Mark Teixeira (29)

Second basemen
Ray Durham (37)
Mark Ellis (32)
Mark Grudzielanek (39)
Orlando Hudson (31)
Tadahito Iguchi (34)
Jeff Kent (41)
Felipe Lopez (29)
Mark Loretta (37)
Aaron Miles (32)
Jose Valentin (39)

Shortstops
Orlando Cabrera (34)
David Eckstein (34)
Adam Everett (32)
Rafael Furcal (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Cesar Izturis (29)
Felipe Lopez (29)
Edgar Renteria (33) - $12MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Juan Uribe (30)
Omar Vizquel (42) - $5.2MM club option for '09 with a $0.3MM buyout

Third basemen
Casey Blake (35)
Hank Blalock (28) - $6.2MM club option for '09 with a $0.25MM buyout
Joe Crede (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Wes Helms (33) - $3.75MM club option for '09
Chipper Jones (37) - $8-11MM vesting option for '09
Dallas McPherson (27)

Left fielders
Moises Alou (42)
Garret Anderson (37) - $14MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Milton Bradley (31)
Emil Brown (34)
Pat Burrell (32)
Adam Dunn (29)
Cliff Floyd (36) - $2.75MM club option for '09 with a $0.25MM buyout
Luis Gonzalez (41)
Raul Ibanez (37)
Kevin Mench (31)
Jason Michaels (33) - $2.6MM club option for '09
Craig Monroe (32)
Jay Payton (36)
Wily Mo Pena (27) - $5MM club option or $2MM player option for '09
Manny Ramirez (37) - $20MM club option for '09
Juan Rivera (30)

Center fielders
Rocco Baldelli (27)
Mike Cameron (36) - $10MM club option for '09 with a $750K buyout
Jim Edmonds (39)
Mark Kotsay (33)
Corey Patterson (29)

Right fielders
Bobby Abreu (35)
Casey Blake (35)
Brian Giles (38) - $9MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Ken Griffey Jr. (39) - $16.5MM club option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
Vladimir Guerrero (33) - $15MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Bobby Kielty (32)
Brad Wilkerson (32)

DHs
Milton Bradley (31)
Pat Burrell (32)
Adam Dunn (29)
Jason Giambi (38) - $22MM club option for '09 with $5MM buyout
Vladimir Guerrero (33) - $15MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Raul Ibanez (37)
Manny Ramirez (37)
Juan Rivera (30)
Mike Sweeney (35)
Frank Thomas (41)
Jim Thome (38) - $13MM club option for '09 with $3MM buyout; vests with 564 PAs in '08
Jose Vidro (34) - vesting option for '09

Starting pitchers
Tony Armas Jr. (31)
Kris Benson (33)
A.J. Burnett (32) - can opt out after '08 season
Paul Byrd (38)
Roger Clemens (46)
Matt Clement (33)
Ryan Dempster (32)
Josh Fogg (32)
Jon Garland (29)
Tom Glavine (43)
Mike Hampton (36)
Mark Hendrickson (35)
Livan Hernandez (34)
Orlando Hernandez (43)
Jason Jennings (30)
Randy Johnson (45)
John Lackey (30) - $9MM club option for '09 with a $0.5MM buyout
Jon Lieber (39)
Esteban Loaiza (37)
Braden Looper (34)
Derek Lowe (36)
Greg Maddux (43)
Pedro Martinez (37)
Jamie Moyer (46)
Mark Mulder (31) - $11MM club option for '09 with a $1.5MM buyout
Mike Mussina (40)
Carl Pavano (33) - $13MM club option for '09 with a $1.95MM buyout
Brad Penny (31) - $8.75MM club option for '09 with a $2MM buyout
Odalis Perez (32)
Oliver Perez (27)
Andy Pettitte (37)
Mark Prior (27)
Kenny Rogers (44)
C.C. Sabathia (28)
Curt Schilling (42)
Ben Sheets (30)
John Smoltz (42) - $12MM club option for '09
Brett Tomko (36)
Tim Wakefield (42) - perpetual $4MM club option
Kip Wells (32)
Randy Wolf (32)

Closers
Joe Borowski (38)
Brian Fuentes (33)
Eric Gagne (33)
Trevor Hoffman (41)
Jason Isringhausen (36)
Todd Jones (41)
Brandon Lyon (29)
Francisco Rodriguez (27)
Salomon Torres (37) - $3.75MM club option for '09 with a $0.3MM buyout
Kerry Wood (32)

Middle relievers
Jeremy Affeldt (30)
Doug Brocail (42) - club option for '09
Shawn Chacon (31)
Juan Cruz (28)
Chad Durbin (31)
Alan Embree (39) - $3MM club option for '09
Scott Eyre (37)
Kyle Farnsworth (33)
Keith Foulke (35)
Aaron Fultz (35)
Tom Gordon (41) - $4.5MM club option for '09 with a $1MM buyout
Eddie Guardado (38)
LaTroy Hawkins (36)
Matt Herges (39) - club option for '09
Bob Howry (35)
Steve Kline (36)
Jon Lieber (39)
Damaso Marte (34) - $6MM club option for '09 with a $0.25MM buyout
Trever Miller (36) - $2MM club option for '09 with a $0.4MM buyout
Guillermo Mota (35)
Will Ohman (31)
Darren Oliver (38)
Al Reyes (38)
Dennys Reyes (32)
Juan Rincon (30)
Russ Springer (40)
Mike Timlin (43)
Salomon Torres (37) - $3.75MM club option for '09 with a $0.3MM buyout
David Weathers (39)
Kip Wells (32)
Dan Wheeler (31)
Matt Wise (33)

Bold Are players I'd lke to see the Reds go after..

C - I'd try to work a deal with Texas for Saltalamacchia
1st - Votto is a lock.. despite errors
2nd - Sign Orlando Hudson and move Phillips to SS
SS - Phillips.. having two stud glovesmen up the middle makes our pitchers rejoicing
3rd - If Texas doesn't bring Hank Blalock back then he'd be my first choice. If they do keep him then I would go with Joe Crede and move Edwin to either bench or another team.
RF - Bruce. Nuff said.
CF - Call the Dodgers about Juan Pierre or the Red Sox about Coco Crisp.. if the asking price is a few prospects then jump on the deal. If not then go with either Freel, Hopper, or Dickerson for the mean time.
LF - Call the Rockies and offer them: Bailey, Maloney, Thompson, Valaika, and Cumberland for Matt Holliday
SP - Harang, Volquez, Arroyo, and Cueto seem to be pretty much locks. I think this team would need a headliner like C.C. Sabathia or Penny (If availible).. If the price tag is to high then go after Derek Lowe and put him in the #3 slot.
RP - Keep Affeldt and try to sign Will Ohman. Call up Roenicke and you have a solid pen with Cordero, Affeldt, Burton, Bray, Roenicke, Ohman, and Belisle.

marcshoe
08-05-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't know that I'd be shocked to see the Reds go after O. Hudson. If they did that and somehow came up with a good defensive centerfielder who didn't kill you offensively (not Pierre, I hope), that would be a step in the right direction.

nate
08-05-2008, 10:55 PM
It'd be nice to have the FA list as a poll. People can vote for whoever they want, explain themselves and when free agents file, we'll send it to Walt and say "go get 'em, Tiger!"

klw
08-05-2008, 11:26 PM
WMP for CF!

:D:D:D :D:D:D :D:D

Jay Bruce
08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Rafeal Furcal would be an interesting name to consider. He's a top notch fielder at shortstop, while also giving the Reds a legitimate leadoff option. Since he's had some injury problems the last two seasons, he'll likely want a short term deal, in order to rebuild his value. I would be willing to sign him to a 2 year, 24 million dollar contract.

SteelSD
08-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Rafeal Furcal would be an interesting name to consider. He's a top notch fielder at shortstop, while also giving the Reds a legitimate leadoff option. Since he's had some injury problems the last two seasons, he'll likely want a short term deal, in order to rebuild his value. I would be willing to sign him to a 2 year, 24 million dollar contract.

Furcal will be coming off lower back surgery and, frankly, wasn't worth anywhere near what the Dodgers signed him for in the first place. From a fielding perspective, he has excellent range, but he's the Edwin Encarnacion of the Shortstop position from a thowing perspective and he's never learned to eat a goodly number of balls he throws away. He'll be 31 years old in October and there are serious questions about his offensive game. It was a "skill-tester" when the Dodgers signed him and they failed miserably in that regard.

buckeyenut
08-06-2008, 07:07 AM
There are some very good free agents on the market this winter. If we are willing to spend money, which Cast has demonstrated time and again, we could really do some damage this offseason.

Here's the guys I would look at.
CF - Cameron, Baldelli
C - Olivo, Barrett
1B - Delgado, Teixiera (if I found an offer I liked for Votto)
LF - no need as I already would have resigned Dunn
SS - Izturis, Renteria, Cabrera, Hudson, Ellis (last two I grab if I move Phillips to SS)
SP - Oliver Perez, Sabathia, Sheets, Penny

Could be a fun offseason, especially since we also have some trading chips in the minors now.

camisadelgolf
08-06-2008, 07:16 AM
There are some very good free agents on the market this winter. If we are willing to spend money, which Cast has demonstrated time and again, we could really do some damage this offseason.

Here's the guys I would look at.
CF - Cameron, Baldelli
C - Olivo, Barrett
1B - Delgado, Teixiera (if I found an offer I liked for Votto)
LF - no need as I already would have resigned Dunn
SS - Izturis, Renteria, Cabrera, Hudson, Ellis (last two I grab if I move Phillips to SS)
SP - Oliver Perez, Sabathia, Sheets, Penny

Could be a fun offseason, especially since we also have some trading chips in the minors now.

If you re-sign Dunn, you don't have room to add most of those free agents. I could see the payroll getting around $80mm, but I couldn't see it going much beyond that.

Pos Sal Player
C 3.500 Dave Ross
1B 0.400 Joey Votto
2B 4.750 Brandon Phillips
3B 0.400 Jeff Keppinger
SS 5.375 Alex Gonzalez
LF *3.000 Edwin Encarnacion
CF 4.000 Ryan Freel
RF 0.400 Jay Bruce
C 0.400 Craig Tatum
IF 0.400 Adam Rosales
IF 0.400 Paul Janish
OF 0.400 Norris Hopper
OF 0.400 Chris Dickerson
SP 0.400 Edinson Volquez
SP 11.000 Aaron Harang
SP 0.400 Johnny Cueto
SP 9.500 Bronson Arroyo
SP 0.400 Bobby Livingston
RP 12.000 Francisco Cordero
RP 0.400 Jared Burton
RP 0.400 Bill Bray
RP 0.400 Nick Masset
RP *0.800 Todd Coffey
RP *1.275 Gary Majewski
RP *1.200 Matt Belisle
BO 0.100 Juan Castro
BO 2.000 Ken Griffey, Jr.
BO 0.500 Mike Stanton

* - estimate

redsmetz
08-06-2008, 08:27 AM
The $3.5M for Ross assumes we'll pick up the option. They may, but it's possibly just as likely they'll decide not to. That still makes for a $375K BO.

mth123
08-06-2008, 08:45 PM
The $3.5M for Ross assumes we'll pick up the option. They may, but it's possibly just as likely they'll decide not to. That still makes for a $375K BO.

And another $3.2 Million for Coffey, Belisle and Majewski who shoud all be non-tendered. Use about $1 Million on Mike Lincoln and add two of the many minor league options who would be no worse while making the minimum and save a little money while compiling a better pen. Between that and Ross money, that would create a $5 Million slot for a real catcher to be acquired in a deal.

kaldaniels
08-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I know "a run at CC" has been mentioned on here...but in this weeks SI, it is mentioned the Yanks are going to make a run at him. It said CC is going to pursue a Santana like deal...6 yrs 137 milliion. I can't see the Reds coming close to that figure.

Also, it put the Tribe as the place Dunn is likely to land.

schroomytunes
08-07-2008, 01:42 AM
From what I've seen these are my wishes for 2009!

Lineup and 5 man Rotation:

1) David DeJesus(CF)
2) Brandon Phillips(2B)
3) Jay Bruce(RF)
4) Adam Dunn(LF)
5) Joey Votto(1B)
6) Joe Crede(3B)
7) Alex Gonzalez(SS)
8) David Ross(C)

5man
1)Aaron Harang
2)Edison Volquez
3)Johnny Cueto
4)Bronson Arroyo
5)Oliver Perez

New acqisitions:
1)DeJesus-acquired by trading Homer Bailey and Drew Stubbs to KC
2)Joe Crede-signed via FA
3)Oliver Perez-signed via FA-fills lefty void in rotation

Key Departure
1)EE-traded to Min for Matt Guerrier(RP)

REDREAD
08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Very good points on this thread.

I would sign Harriston to a one year, modest deal.

Yes, we have a lot of utility men types. I'm not sure it's wise to count on Gonzo or Freel for anything next year though. They both have very serious injuries.

Harriston's ability to fill in at SS and CF is very valuable to a team like the Reds with little depth. I agree that you don't want Harriston at SS everyday, but he is a useful player.
I also agree that we shouldn't expect Harriston to hit like he did at the beginning of this year.

I would like to see Walt scour them minor leagues and pick up one or two legitimate glove men at SS, that at least have a prayer not to be totally overmatched at the plate. If we have to wait a year or two for them to be ready for the majors, that is ok.

I think Walt will be able to upgrade Fogg's postion in the rotation by signing a better journeyman. The rest of the pitching, I am less concerned about. We need to a talent infusion in the position players.