PDA

View Full Version : Phillips hit lead off?

Jim Fazio
08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I would like to see Phillips hit in the leadoff spot or second if Hairston is back. I don't like him in the clean up spot at all. He could get on base more from the 1 or 2 hole and use that speed of his on the bases.

eastkyred
08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree and have thought this for a while. He's not ideal because of his OBP, but if you look at his numbers, he's alot like Jimmy Rollins. He is by far the best and most aggressive base runner on the team. Its also possible that hitting lead off could cause him to make more of an effort to get on base, instead of having the approach of a run producer. I could see this possibly leading to a little higher OBP.

CWRed
08-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree and have thought this for a while. He's not ideal because of his OBP, but if you look at his numbers, he's alot like Jimmy Rollins. He is by far the best and most aggressive base runner on the team. Its also possible that hitting lead off could cause him to make more of an effort to get on base, instead of having the approach of a run producer. I could see this possibly leading to a little higher OBP.

I'd rather see him lead off that cleanup. He's horrible against righties though and for whatever reason he gets a pass on a ton of baseruuning blunders.

eastkyred
08-05-2008, 11:56 AM
I'd rather see him lead off that cleanup. He's horrible against righties though and for whatever reason he gets a pass on a ton of baseruuning blunders.

I don't think he makes a ton of baserunning blunders. When you are as aggressive as he is, you are going to make some, but I think he is definately the guy on this team that can give a pitcher alot to worry about when he's on base.

What amazes me is that Dusty has tried several people in the leadoff spot, but has never even mentioned Phillips.

BLEEDS
08-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Maybe it would help him from swinging for the seats - or the wall as that's really as far as he generally gets them - and get his OBP up.

However, he's only really "come of age" since he's been in this park, which is built for bop, not slap...

He belongs 4th against Lefties, but against RHP, he needs to be the "#2 Leadoff" - i.e. batting 9th.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

redsbuckeye
08-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Phillips makes a lot of outs for a leadoff guy. But really there's not a lot of options anyways.

roby
08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I kind of think batting 4th has hurt Phillips' hitting approach. He is trying to think like a clean-up hitter rather than just being himself. I wonder if he might not do well in the 3 hole with Dunn hitting 4th, Bruce 2nd and Hairston 1st?

kpresidente
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
4th against LH, 8th against RH.

captainmorgan07
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't mind him batting leadoff against righties but against lefties he needs to hit towards the middle of the order.

Orodle
08-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I wouldnt have minded BP in the leadoff spot early in his Reds career but now hes got the HR mentality back in his head much like he did in Cleveland.

berryluther
08-06-2008, 11:07 AM
It would be better than cleanup. What other team in MLB has a cleanup hitter with 16 hr and 64 rbi?

Nasty_Boy
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Phillips has the ability to be a great leadoff hitter. I think this hitting 4th junk has really hurt his development. He shows flashes of taking pitches and being able to go the opposite way. If he would abandon his HR approach and be more patient there is no doubt in my mind that he could be a top 3-4 leadoff guy. Whether Dusty will let this happen is another story. The best thing for the Reds is to move BP to SS and tell him to do what he can to get on base.

Slyder
08-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Hes got too much of a free swing to hit leadoff effectively. Maybe 5 or 6 if Duhsty ever understands the idea of maximizing assets. Phillips has the ability to take that pitch a little bit outside and do something with it, hitting 5th or 6th you need to be a little more aggressive because usually (unless the manager is Duhsty Baker) you start getting to the guys that you look at any production as dessert so teams are more likely to try and pitch around.