PDA

View Full Version : Things that irritate you while driving

OldRightHander
08-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Here's the catch. What are the things, other than other motorists, that irritate you, those things that would bug you even if you're the only vehicle on the road? This isn't about other drivers, but just about irritations you encounter.

1. Traffic lights that are timed intentionally to make sure you will have to stop at every one. You're sitting at a red light and it turns green. You start out and the next one turns red on you. You sit there and set out when it turns green, only to have the next one turn red. There is a street in Columbia, SC that is like that. It's at least 10-12 lights, every other block, and you can't make two of them in a row the way they have them staggered.

2. Speed bumps from hell. The ones that darn near rip the bottom of your vehicle out going over them.

3. Some of those wide open four lane roads in the northeast with a 45 or 55 speed limit. There are a few of those in Connecticut.

4. No Commercial Vehicles Allowed. @#%$!!!

5. Driving through work zones where there is a concrete barrier on each side.

6. Concrete medians that can't be crossed. You take an exit and pull into a gas station on the right side of the road. When you pull out, you can't just turn left to get back to the interstate on ramp. You have to turn right, go down the street half a mile, and turn around.

7. Intersections without a left turn arrow.

8. Restaurant or bank drive thrus with a low clearance.

9. Metered on ramps. I know why they do it, but it's still annoying when everyone has to come to a complete stop and wait for a green light to continue on the ramp to the highway.

10. Split speed limits. It's dangerous to have one kind of vehicle going 10-15 mph slower than the other vehicles.

nate
08-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Left turns. I'll intentionally make 3 rights to avoid a bad left turn.

Inconsistent exit / entrance ramp sides. Is it on the right (correct) or left (incorrect).

Entrance ramps that coincide with a changeover to another freeway so it's a big PITA to get over while avoiding someone else who's getting on.

Roy Tucker
08-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Red lights on left turns during a green light for straight ahead. I'm sitting in the left turn lane with a red light, traffic to my right is proceeding with its green and the oncoming lanes have a green light too. There is no oncoming traffic and plenty of time/room for me to make a discretionary left turn. Can't turn though.

Overly controlled traffic, particularly in California and Florida. Can't even sneeze without a light telling you its OK.

Cyclone792
08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Traffic lights without sensors, or if they do have sensors, they either don't work or are awful. This is mostly a late-night situation where it really drives me crazy, and quite a few exit ramp traffic lights are like this around here. There are a few lights that will just stay red for an ungodly amount of time even when you're already sitting there waiting to turn left. It doesn't matter if it's 2am and there's not a trace of traffic on the cross street, the light will refuse to change for you to turn.

Short highway entrance ramps. Not typically a problem around here or in Ohio from what I've seen, but I've seen this in other states (PA maybe?). You get on the entrance ramp and it immediately ends, forcing you to hammer the accelerator to merge in with traffic.

25mph speed limits on non-subdivision side streets.

Busy or semi-busy intersections without a left turn lane.

Highway interchanges (turning on to a highway entrance ramp) where both directions require being in the same exact lane. All that results is heavy traffic backup.

Falls City Beer
08-06-2008, 12:21 PM
People on cell phones. /end thread

HotCorner
08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
People who don't use their turn signal.

People that follow too closely.

Chip R
08-06-2008, 12:51 PM
People who don't use their turn signal.

People that follow too closely.

Word.

I dislike left hand exits.

Degenerate39
08-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Old people driving.

Out of state drivers (Almost got into a fight the other day with one)

People who follow too close

westofyou
08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Things that irritate you while driving

Other drivers

MWM
08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
When I'm pulling out of a place of business and they have median that makes me turn right then have to go do a U-turn if I want to go left.

dougdirt
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Slow drivers.

Lost drivers. Nothing drives me nuts more than the person who slows down at every street to see if its the one they are looking for. They finally find it after 8 streets.

People who merge onto the highway by riding the white line (on the right) all the way into the lane rather than merging in with traffic.

That I currently have no air conditioning in my car.

That I can't launch water balloons at idiot drivers.

puca
08-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Other drivers

And bike riders.

And pedestrians.

And animals.

That pretty much sums it up.

wolfboy
08-06-2008, 02:35 PM
everything

Highlifeman21
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Am I going to get yelled at again for saying female Asian drivers?

B/c they still irritate me...

Highlifeman21
08-06-2008, 05:57 PM
3. Some of those wide open four lane roads in the northeast with a 45 or 55 speed limit. There are a few of those in Connecticut.

There's a couple stretches of I-84 like that between the NY line and Hartford, but no one goes that slow. You'd swear the speed limit between the NY line and Hartford is 80, b/c that's usually how fast I'm going and it seems like 1/2 the cars are passing me... on the right.

GoReds33
08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Kids standing on the side of the street in traffic. I was driving the other day, and the town I was in was having a festival. Needless to say, there were tons of other cars, and tons of traffic. Then all the sudden this woman with about five kids is walking right next to the road with little kids inches from traffic.

TennReds03
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Outsiders in Kentucky that don't know you can turn right on red.

*BaseClogger*
08-06-2008, 11:37 PM
6. Concrete medians that can't be crossed. You take an exit and pull into a gas station on the right side of the road. When you pull out, you can't just turn left to get back to the interstate on ramp. You have to turn right, go down the street half a mile, and turn around.

You have to do that on every highway in Michigan...

*BaseClogger*
08-06-2008, 11:38 PM
9. Metered on ramps. I know why they do it, but it's still annoying when everyone has to come to a complete stop and wait for a green light to continue on the ramp to the highway.

I disagree. I bet you feel differently when you are in the right lane with heavy traffic...

*BaseClogger*
08-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Freeway exits with no reaccess...

sonny
08-06-2008, 11:48 PM
My wife turning the Reds game off to "talk".

OldRightHander
08-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Might I add that Texas has the shortest merge ramps in the country. There's nothing like getting on the highway and having about two feet to merge.

puca
08-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Drivers that are not in a hurry when I am.

Drivers that are in a hurry when I'm not.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Driving thru a road construction area at 2pm on a weekday and not seeing a human being in sight.

KronoRed
08-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Freeway exits with no reaccess...

Think about taking one of those in the middle of the night, it's like taking an exit into the twilight zone.

texasdave
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Might I add that Texas has the shortest merge ramps in the country. There's nothing like getting on the highway and having about two feet to merge.

That is true. But look at the bright side of things, ORH. After you learn how to merge onto Texas highways, the other forty-nine states are going to be a breeze. Here is a quick tip for anyone merging onto a Texas highway for the first time: Don't slow down and don't stop. And for heaven's sake do not look in your rear-view mirror, you will probably not like what you see coming up behind you at 70 MPH or so. The way Texans look at is those other vehicles have brakes. Let them get a little use out of them.

SandyD
08-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I love the service roads along freeways in Texas, but it's kind of a surprise that the exiting traffic has the right of way over the traffic on the service road. Seems opposite to me.

Of course, the offramps are incredibly short as well, so I can see the reason for it. I'm just used to seeing that yield sign at the end of an offramp. And ... more importantly, not used to seeing one on the service road.

macro
08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
When the white line holding back left-turn traffic is painted too far out into the intersection, forcing left-turn traffic from other lanes to swing way out to avoid hitting the car that's sitting too far out into the intersection (although it's still behind the white line).

Why don't highway departments back the line for the left-turn traffic up just a bit, making the left turns from other lanes much easier?

PedroBourbon
08-07-2008, 11:35 AM
My one hour commute home from my old job driving east on I-64 was right at the time the sun was going down on the horizon and would glare in the rear view mirror for a good 20-30 minutes. Sunglasses were minimal help.:cool:

Redhook
08-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Red lights on left turns during a green light for straight ahead. I'm sitting in the left turn lane with a red light, traffic to my right is proceeding with its green and the oncoming lanes have a green light too. There is no oncoming traffic and plenty of time/room for me to make a discretionary left turn. Can't turn though.

Bingo. This drives me up a freakin' wall.

I often wish I could go around town and control the lights. It's amazing how often they are mistimed. I just don't know why the sensors don't work better.

SunDeck
08-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Bloomington has about a zillion left hand turn signals. If you pull up to the stop light after the cross traffic light has gone to yellow, you won't get the turn signal. Drives me nuts.

"Left lane ends"- there are bunch of these here too. For example, there are two lanes and I know one is going to end. I do the right thing and get over towards the inside, because THAT'S THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK. Then, 1000 feet later, the left lane ends and I have to merge right. Insanity.

"Dip" and "Bump" signs. Can't they just fix the road, instead?

Dom Heffner
08-07-2008, 02:41 PM
"Left lane ends"- there are bunch of these here too. For example, there are two lanes and I know one is going to end. I do the right thing and get over towards the inside, because THAT'S THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK. Then, 1000 feet later, the left lane ends and I have to merge right. Insanity.

There's a spot as you head in to Georgetown, Ohio that has a "Left lane Ends" sign, when in fact it is the right lane that ends.

It's been that way for twenty years at least, and as of last September, it still is.

OldRightHander
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
There's a spot as you head in to Georgetown, Ohio that has a "Left lane Ends" sign, when in fact it is the right lane that ends.

It's been that way for twenty years at least, and as of last September, it still is.

I grew up there. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

Left hand exits tick me off to no end. Coming north on 75 out of Cincinnati is terrible with those, Harrison, Hopple, and Galbraith. What I don't like is that you have people who are going to need one of those exits driving slow in the left lane for 6-8 miles before they hit the exit. Folks get in the left lane coming out of downtown so they can get the Galbraith exit, which is exit 10 for crying out loud. Can't you wait until around the 7 mile marker before you get over there, instead of impeding the fast lane? I still blame the people who decided to put an exit on the left more than the drivers who impede the fast lane for miles because of the left hand exit ahead.

Cyclone792
08-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I grew up there. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

Left hand exits tick me off to no end. Coming north on 75 out of Cincinnati is terrible with those, Harrison, Hopple, and Galbraith. What I don't like is that you have people who are going to need one of those exits driving slow in the left lane for 6-8 miles before they hit the exit. Folks get in the left lane coming out of downtown so they can get the Galbraith exit, which is exit 10 for crying out loud. Can't you wait until around the 7 mile marker before you get over there, instead of impeding the fast lane? I still blame the people who decided to put an exit on the left more than the drivers who impede the fast lane for miles because of the left hand exit ahead.

I deal with the slow drivers in the left lane prior to Galbraith on a daily basis. Between Paddock and Ronald Reagan on the right and Galbraith on the left, it's a constant bottleneck with slow drivers clogging the lanes. It usually comes as no surprise that things open up immediately following the Galbraith exit too ... at least until you hit Glendale-Milford, and that's when all the crap going on with 275 starts blowing things up on 75 north.

RFS62
08-08-2008, 08:11 AM
There is a major intersection with two left turn lanes near where I live. In busy traffic, the two left turn lanes are usually full, and everyone can't make it through each cycle.

But many more could if the idiots in the front of the line were ready to go when the light turns. Invariably, you see big gaps between cars as they pull out when the light turns. People couldn't care less about the people behind them, as long as they make the light. And their screwing around causes the end of the line to have to wait another cycle, when there would have been plenty of time had everyone been ready.

In general, it's often hard to believe how high a percentage of drivers out there either don't care about other drivers or are completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

macro
08-08-2008, 10:54 AM
...But many more could if the idiots in the front of the line were ready to go when the light turns. Invariably, you see big gaps between cars as they pull out when the light turns. People couldn't care less about the people behind them, as long as they make the light. And their screwing around causes the end of the line to have to wait another cycle, when there would have been plenty of time had everyone been ready.

In general, it's often hard to believe how high a percentage of drivers out there either don't care about other drivers or are completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

Yes, that one drives me crazy, too. If everyone would keep the line packed in reasonably tight, more people would get through. Some will wait until the car ahead has almost completed the turn before entering the intersection.

Will M
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM
everything

:thumbup:

Yep. Every other driver on the friggin road annoys me.
My solution: make sure I leave a few minutes early and listen to a book on CD rather than the radio. Just try to relax.

wolfboy
08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
:thumbup:

Yep. Every other driver on the friggin road annoys me.
My solution: make sure I leave a few minutes early and listen to a book on CD rather than the radio. Just try to relax.

I suppose I'm just not a big fan of driving. I try to ride my bike or walk when I can, but it's not as practical for me as it used to be. I used to live much closer to downtown and work, etc... That's the trade off if you want more of a yard than an herb garden on a fire escape.

GAC
08-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I have no problem with slow drivers.

What I do have a problem with are those drivers who refuse to pass them, and you then have a long line of cars stacked up behind that driver and it's then too dangerous for you to attempt to pass because you're six cars back.

So for the next 10 miles you're all following this person going 35 mph!

Team Clark
08-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Overzealous Highway Patrolman.

People who are busy organizing their car during a red light and "forget" to go at a green light.

3 or 4 lanes of traffic that come to a STOP because the highway has a bend in it. (See 275 between Wards corner and Milford)

Accidents... PAY ATTENTION!!

Yachtzee
08-09-2008, 12:41 AM
1. Traffic lights that are timed intentionally to make sure you will have to stop at every one. You're sitting at a red light and it turns green. You start out and the next one turns red on you. You sit there and set out when it turns green, only to have the next one turn red. There is a street in Columbia, SC that is like that. It's at least 10-12 lights, every other block, and you can't make two of them in a row the way they have them staggered.

I really wish they would adopt a feature of traffic lights I was in Germany and Austria called the "Green Wave." They time the lights so that, if you drive a certain speed, you are guaranteed to hit every green light. It keeps traffic in many areas moving smoothly and consistently because everyone knows they'll hit the green lights if they stay at 35 mph but they'll get stuck by a red if they go 40 mph.

Deepred05
08-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Roundabouts. It seems they are the newest thing out west. If everyone knew what to do, it would be fine, but you had better be looking from all sides because someone is gonna fly thru the yield or cross over into your lane to hit their exit. Anyone else had the pleasure of driving in one of these?

Yachtzee
08-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Roundabouts. It seems they are the newest thing out west. If everyone knew what to do, it would be fine, but you had better be looking from all sides because someone is gonna fly thru the yield or cross over into your lane to hit their exit. Anyone else had the pleasure of driving in one of these?

Hey kids! Big Ben! Parliament!

VR
08-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Cars that suddenly stop in front of me on the freeway.... causing me to spill the coffee I'm holding in one hand on the newspaper I'm holding in my other hand.

*BaseClogger*
08-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Cars that suddenly stop in front of me on the freeway.... causing me to spill the coffee I'm holding in one hand on the newspaper I'm holding in my other hand.

:laugh:

GAC
08-09-2008, 09:20 AM
People who drive and constantly have to have that cellphone glued to their ears.

I followed a woman into work last month who is always talking on that phone. I've unfortunately been behind her on numerous occasions. And she is all over the place. As you enter the parking lot they have those reflector markers along the road as you turn in. She took out a whole row of them as she was turning and never blinked an eye or knew she did it. I just laughed.

"Hey idiot! You can make a right turn on red in this state!"

Leaving the turn signal on. I tell my kids they are making a left turn around the world.

Driving through (or across) parking lots and not using the lanes. It's like being in a demolition derby.

I work 3rd shift. So on occasion I'll stop at WalMart on the way home when there is no one there and the parking lot is pretty barren. I'll pull in and park my car, and when I come out some idiot has not only parked his car right next to mine, but has parked so close that I can't even get my car door open. The whole friggin' parking lot is empty and they had to park right next to me?

RFS62
08-09-2008, 09:25 AM

No kidding. It's hard enough to drive, eat, talk on the phone and surf the net while you're driving without some inconsiderate punk in front of you not paying attention.

:beerme:

TeamCasey
08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Traffic circles.

People on cell phones.

People who don't signal.

People who don't let you in when you're trying to change lanes and you're signalling properly, etc.

CITIES!

Yachtzee
08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Robots

remdog
08-09-2008, 05:46 PM
People who don't let you in when you're trying to change lanes and you're signalling properly, etc.

People who think they are entitled to change lanes just because they signal. Especially if they are trying to wedge into the safety zone I'm leaving between me and the car in front of me. And, even more so if there's not a car behind me for a mile....:angry:

Rem

TeamCasey
08-10-2008, 08:53 PM
People who think they are entitled to change lanes just because they signal. Especially if they are trying to wedge into the safety zone I'm leaving between me and the car in front of me. And, even more so if there's not a car behind me for a mile....:angry:

Rem

I don't try to squeeze in. Entitled. .... jeez, Rem! The frustration usually happens when your exit ramp is just after an on-ramp. You're trying to merge right to exit while the other cars are trying to merge left to enter.

MaineRed
08-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Women

OldRightHander
08-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Well, to a certain degree I do feel that a signal does entitle me to a lane change. I will be patient for a while, but if after a good amount of time I've had my signal on and nobody is acknowledging that I even exist, then I might be tempted to try to force my way over. If I need in that lane, it's usually for a good reason and I'm sick and tired of people who will do anything possible to keep me from coming over because my vehicle is taller and they don't want to be behind me.

remdog
08-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't try to squeeze in. Entitled. .... jeez, Rem! The frustration usually happens when your exit ramp is just after an on-ramp. You're trying to merge right to exit while the other cars are trying to merge left to enter.

I can see that if the entrance/exit ramp are a continuous strip. But, if the entrance ramp connects to the freeway and merges into the right lane and (usually after an overpass) there becomes a seperate off-ramp then the driver should have planned ahead. That's their responsibility and they shouldn't put everyone/anyone else in danger because they goofed. Go to the next ramp and get off instead of jepordizing everyone else for your mistake.

Rem

remdog
08-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, to a certain degree I do feel that a signal does entitle me to a lane change. I will be patient for a while, but if after a good amount of time I've had my signal on and nobody is acknowledging that I even exist, then I might be tempted to try to force my way over. If I need in that lane, it's usually for a good reason and I'm sick and tired of people who will do anything possible to keep me from coming over because my vehicle is taller and they don't want to be behind me.

A signal only entitles you to change lanes if it is safe. If you are driving professionally then I would expect you to know where you are going and to do so in a safe manner. In California trucks can only travel in the right two lanes (with minor exceptions) on the freeway so it's not too tough to figure out where you should be if you are going to 'need' a lane. I expect you to plan ahead and then you won't 'need' that lane, you'll be in it.

Rem

OldRightHander
08-11-2008, 12:21 AM
A signal only entitles you to change lanes if it is safe. If you are driving professionally then I would expect you to know where you are going and to do so in a safe manner. In California trucks can only travel in the right two lanes (with minor exceptions) on the freeway so it's not too tough to figure out where you should be if you are going to 'need' a lane. I expect you to plan ahead and then you won't 'need' that lane, you'll be in it.

Rem

I do plan ahead, but sometimes when you figure out that you need to make a change, and you're trying to do the responsible thing and get into that lane early, and people keep speeding up to keep you from coming over because they don't want to be behind something taller, it gets kind of ridiculous. When I see a signal, I back off and give that person room to come over. I expect the same from others.

As to lane restrictions...don't get me started. Those and split speed limits should be abolished.

remdog
08-11-2008, 12:41 AM
As to lane restrictions...don't get me started. Those and split speed limits should be abolished.

Gee, I think they should be universal and more rigorously enforced. :) Imagine that.

Rem

RBA
08-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Single Occupied Priuses in the car pool lane because they got a "sticker" for having the money to spend on a Hybrid vehicle a few years ago and they go below the speed of the cars in the other 4 regular lanes holding all the other cars behind them back.

On the Red arrow left turn when the other lanes have the green going straight, I have been making the turn if it looks safe. (don't tell anyone)

OldRightHander
08-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Gee, I think they should be universal and more rigorously enforced. :) Imagine that.

Rem

I'm all for strict enforcement of speed limits, as long as all vehicles are held to the same limit.

SandyD
08-11-2008, 01:28 AM
There's a spot in Houston where the freeway splits into 3 ... and the first signs announcing the split are only about a quarter mile away. WAY too little notice of such a major split. If you're in the wrong lane, you're not going to be able to make a change ... and, it may not be easy to correct if you miss the split.

Seems to me that any freeway "splits" should be "announced" by signs at LEAST a mile in advance, unless it's a simple "exit" or "offramp" situation.

TeamCasey
08-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Planning ahead by sprouting helicopter blades and leaping over the concrete medium? I don't have one of those newfangled batman cars.