PDA

View Full Version : Question on type B free agents

Will M
08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
From MLB trade rumors today:

" Teams are beginning to value free agent compensation draft picks more than ever. As a result, we're seeing fewer salary dump trades. Rosenthal explains that Type B free agents net supplemental picks for teams even if they do not offer arbitration. That fact eluded me so I'm glad he brought it up. "

1. Is this true?

2. I am sure Dunn is a type A. Are Weathers & Affeldt likely to be type B?

BRM
08-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Here is Rosenthal's column where this is discussed.

Even players who project as possible Type B free agents are considered more valuable than in the past, thanks to a change in the most recent labor agreement.

A team can now gain a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds for such a player without even offering him arbitration.

Case in point: Braves left-handed reliever Will Ohman. Though Ohman had trade value, the Braves did not receive an offer that amounted to the equivalent of a pick between the 31st and 45th selections overall.

Type A free agents must be offered arbitration to ensure draft-pick compensation.

nate
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I've read a few articles recently about someone (the name is at the tip of my tongue) "cracking" the type "A" and "B" criteria. It would be interesting to know where our potential FA rate on the list.

Cyclone792
08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I've read a few articles recently about someone (the name is at the tip of my tongue) "cracking" the type "A" and "B" criteria. It would be interesting to know where our potential FA rate on the list.

Run down the list of potential FA, and I can take a crack at it. It's usually not too difficult to figure out.

nate
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Run down the list of potential FA, and I can take a crack at it. It's usually not too difficult to figure out.

OK:

Jeremy Affeldt
Paul Bako
Jim Brower
Adam Dunn
Josh Fogg
Jerry Hairston Jr.
Kent Mercker
Corey Patterson
David Ross
Javier Valentin
David Weathers

Cyclone792
08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
OK:

Jeremy Affeldt
Paul Bako
Jim Brower
Adam Dunn
Josh Fogg
Jerry Hairston Jr.
Kent Mercker
Corey Patterson
David Ross
Javier Valentin
David Weathers

Guaranteed Type A

Dunn - no surprise

Tossup between Type A and Type B

David Weathers - Weathers was the lowest ranked Type A last year, and he'll be right on the edge between Type A and Type B this year.

Likely Type B, but small shot at Type A

Jeremy Affeldt - did not make the Type B cut last year, however, his awful 2006 season will fall off and be replaced by a decent 2008 season. I think he's on pace for a solid Type B ranking that has a slight chance of hitting Type A.

Most Likely Worthless

David Ross - did not reach Type B last season, and his decent 2006 season is being replaced by a lesser 2008 season.
Paul Bako - did not reach Type B last season, but his horrific 2006 season is being replaced by a not-quite-so-horrific, but still pretty horrific 2008 season.

Guaranteed Worthless

Javier Valentin - he stinks
Jim Brower - he has 3.1 innings over both seasons
Corey Patterson - he stinks this year
Josh Fogg - he stinks
Kent Mercker - he has 13.2 innings over both seasons
Jerry Hairston Jr. - his 2007 season stunk, and he's missed too much playing time in 2008 to make up for it.

LoganBuck
08-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Paul Bako - did not reach Type B last season, but his horrific 2006 season is being replaced by a not-quite-so-horrific, but still pretty horrific 2008 season.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Will M
08-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Guaranteed Type A

Dunn - no surprise

Tossup between Type A and Type B

David Weathers - Weathers was the lowest ranked Type A last year, and he'll be right on the edge between Type A and Type B this year.

Likely Type B, but small shot at Type A

Jeremy Affeldt - did not make the Type B cut last year, however, his awful 2006 season will fall off and be replaced by a decent 2008 season. I think he's on pace for a solid Type B ranking that has a slight chance of hitting Type A.

Most Likely Worthless

David Ross - did not reach Type B last season, and his decent 2006 season is being replaced by a lesser 2008 season.

Guaranteed Worthless

Javier Valentin - he stinks
Jim Brower - he has 3.1 innings over both seasons
Corey Patterson - he stinks this year
Josh Fogg - he stinks
Kent Mercker - he has 13.2 innings over both seasons
Jerry Hairston Jr. - his 2007 season stunk, and he's missed too much playing time in 2008 to make up for it.

if weathers and affeldt are potential type B free agents then that could be the reason walt didn't trade them ( or it could be castellini wanting to win as many games as possible for ticket sales ). getting a 2nd round draft pick for weathers and not having to risk him accepting arbitration would be a good thing.