PDA

View Full Version : UC Football

Redlegs23
08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Anybody else getting cranked up for UC football this year? The first game is still 3 weeks away but I can't seem to get enough coverage. I don't have the time now, but I will try and post my game by game predictions later today. Anybody else getting way too excited about UC football?

Boston Red
08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Anybody else getting way too excited about UC football?

I'm a Louisville fan....so no.

SeeinRed
08-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Anybody else getting cranked up for UC football this year? The first game is still 3 weeks away but I can't seem to get enough coverage. I don't have the time now, but I will try and post my game by game predictions later today. Anybody else getting way too excited about UC football?

I'm very excited, but I wish they would get the Mauk decision out of the way. I can't even imagine what he is going through right now. Either way, I can't wait for the season to start. I think they will have a pretty good run at it, but I am hesitant to say where they will finish until we get a look at them in action.

GoReds33
08-06-2008, 04:22 PM
I can't wait. It seems like years ago when I last saw UC play. I am going to try to go to every home game this year that I can.

dougdirt
08-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Not too excited yet, but I am sure it will kick in soon enough. Just hope my guys have good seasons this year.

NorrisHopper30
08-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm super pumped, i'll be getting my EKU tix shortly.

SeeinRed
08-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Here is some good news from Bill Koch's Blog (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog04&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ada6629a0-7bd0-4605-8869-25a20cb5adabPost%3af79bcfaf-ff70-4228-9322-2aa03c214eda&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com):

UC reaches TV deal with FSN Ohio (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog04&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ada6629a0-7bd0-4605-8869-25a20cb5adabPost%3af79bcfaf-ff70-4228-9322-2aa03c214eda&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com)
Posted by BKoch (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=75ca88dc13504053ad1bc8b2dde594d2&plckUserId=75ca88dc13504053ad1bc8b2dde594d2) at 8/7/2008 11:10 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

UC just announced a multi-year deal that will make FSN Ohio the exclusive regional cable television home of UC football, men's basketball and women's basketball. Programming 2008-09 will include a minimum of 12 men's basketball games, two women's basketball games, preseason and postseason specials for football and basketball, season-long basketball and football coaches' shows, plus an extensive schedule of Big East football and basketball games.
The new relationship will begin on Aug. 20 at 6 p.m. with a half-hour preseason look, Inside Bearcats Football 2008. Football coach Brian Kelly and basketball coach Mick Cronin's coaches shows will air on Wednesday nights at 6:30 p.m. starting on Aug. 27.

I'm really excited about the coaches shows.

Redlegs23
08-07-2008, 12:33 PM
I have my season tickets and I plan on making at least one road trip. Right now I think I'm heading to West Virginia.

Boston Red
08-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Hope those UC telecasts won't interfere with FSN Ohio's Xavier deal.

paintmered
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I'll be in the Lair all season and it can't get here fast enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcC_5BTL-Kw&eurl=http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=308661

Z-Fly
08-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Did anyone get their tickets in the mail yet?

BuckeyeRed27
08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
How is UC looking this year?

Redlegs23
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Paintmered - I'll be in the Lair also.

Z-Fly - I haven't gotten my tickets yet. I was told early August, so I'm expecting them any day now.

Buckeye - They should be pretty good. Finished #17 last year after going 10-3, and they return 16 starters. The big question right now is if qb Ben Mauk will get another year of eligibility. He applied for a medical hardship waiver and the NCAA denied him, he appealed and they denied him again, and he has one appeal left where he talks to the committee which has dragged on forever. The NCAA needs to get off their butt and give this kid a final answer ASAP. Overall they'll have a tough defense again and I expect the offense to continue to improve after being in Kelly's system for the second year.

Here's my game by game predictions assuming Mauk doesn't play (which I don't think will hurt us too badly).

Eastern Kentucky - Should be an easy win for the Bearcats. 1-0.

At Oklahoma - I may be crazy but I think the Cats have a chance at pulling this off. The Bearcat defense is tough which may allow them to stick around until the end. West Virginia took it to Oklahoma in the bowl game last year, and UC barely lost to WVU. Of course the UC WVU game was at UC and now the Bearcats have to travel to Norman. I'll say the Sooners win this one. 1-1.

Miami (OH) - Should be another easy win for the Bearcats. UC took it to them last year in Miami, and they get them at home this year. 2-1.

at Akron - Another early win for the Cats to push them to 3-1.

at Marshall - This game scares me a little, but I think UC will have too much for the Herd. 4-1.

Rutgers - The Cats have had Rutgers number the last couple years, and I think it will continue with the game at UC. 5-1.

UCONN - I feel real confident the Cats will take care of business here. UCONN took a beating last year at UC because they couldn't move the ball, and I see things the same this year. 6-1.

USF - The Bearcats have won the last two meetings, and I think they make it three straight. 7-1.

at WVU - West Virginia at Morgantown. If they come out of this with a win it would be a pleasant surprise, but I don't see it happening. 7-2.

at Louisville - This one should be a Bearcat win but it worries me. Louisville seems to have our number, and it's in Louisville. I'll say a close loss. 7-3.

Pittsburgh - Maybe the Bearcats can finally beat Pittsburgh. 8-3.

Syracuse - Worst team in the Big East means a Bearcat win. 9-3.

Hawaii - Assuming the Cats aren't too busy partying in Hawaii I think they pull off win number ten. 10-3.

CrackerJack
08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm pretty concerned about the QB situation. If Mauk were coming back it would be more predictable. But Gruza has some drawbacks and is a better spot starter than a guy who can play well for an entire season at this level.

I guess "Chazz" Anderson (do not understand the first name thing, good lord) is the dark horse favorite to take over, last I heard.

BuckeyeRed27
08-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the rundown. It's great that UC football keeps getting better. I used to love to go to those games when I was in like 7th grade but they were terrible.
Who plays QB if it isn't Mauk?

Redlegs23
08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the rundown. It's great that UC football keeps getting better. I used to love to go to those games when I was in like 7th grade but they were terrible.
Who plays QB if it isn't Mauk?

Right now Dustin Grutza is the favorite if Mauk is out. He's a senior and he started his sophomore year when Dantonio was here. He started two games last year when Mauk was hurt and looked pretty good. I don't think he's going to be a Ben Mauk, but I think he will surprise people. His sophomore year he was playing through injuries most of the year, and I think part of Mauk's success last year was Kelly's system instead of the QB. Mauk wasn't anything great before he came here last year, and there's a reason Kelly's QB's have always had huge numbers. The other two guys in the race are Chazz Anderson who is a redshirt freshmen and Demetrius Jones who transferred from Notre Dame after the fallout with Charlie Weiss. I think Jones is the qb of the future, but he just had rotator cuff surgery and isn't 100%. Chazz Anderson can is pretty fast and a good scrambler, so he could be a decent option, but it scares me throwing a freshman qb out there.

Redlegs23
08-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Mauk got denied in his final appeal today. Let's hope Grutza can do it.

GoReds33
08-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Mauk got denied in his final appeal today. Let's hope Grutza can do it.Sad, but expected. Hopefully Dustin can play well. I think Mauk benefited from the system in place, and hopefully he can too.

SeeinRed
08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Took forever for the ruling, but it was expected. Suprising that Mauk wasn't allowed to plead his case, but thats how the cookie crumbles I guess. I heard someone bring up an interesting point the other day on wether the NCAA commitee took longer because of the rumors that Mauk would bring a lawsuit. He obviously doesn't have the time to do that now. Hopefully its not too late for him to have a tryout for an NFL team, but that is probably an even longer shot now than before. I wish Mauk nothing but the best. He seems like a class act and I hope he hangs around UC to mentor the younger guys.

Matt700wlw
08-08-2008, 04:05 PM
http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080808aaa.html

The official release from UC

paintmered
08-14-2008, 06:42 PM
I received my season tickets today.

Ben Mauk sued the NCAA.

GoReds33
08-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Mauk was just denied again. He has one more chance to plead his case before the NKU game Thursday. I really doubt he has any shot now.

dougdirt
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Mauk is grasping at straws. I don't blame him for trying, but its not going to get him anywhere. Can't wait until Thursday though.... got a nice little party planned.

SeeinRed
08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Not so fast says Bill Koch. No decision has been reached:

No decision on Mauk after all
Posted by BKoch at 8/26/2008 11:04 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The NCAA has not ruled on Ben Mauk’s request for a sixth year after all

In the latsst twist in the Mauk saga, Kevin Murphy, the attorney for Mauk who confirmed Monday night that the NCAA ruled against Mauk said this morning that no decision has been reached.

“The call that was made to me last night was a mistake,” Murphy said today.

UC compliance director Maggie McKinley confirmed this morning that the NCAA has yet to reach a decision.

Asked how a mistake like that could have been made, Murphy said only, “right now we’re still in the midst of this, so I need to focus on what we’re doing.

“I’m just concentrating on being positive and I’m grateful that they’re looking at this thing and we still have an excellent opportunity to get a positive ruling from the staff.”

Interesting. Seems like a pretty big mistake somewhere.

15fan
08-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Ben:

Let it go.

Redlegs23
08-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Ben:

Let it go.

It's not like he has done anything else since the lawsuit...the NCAA is just taking it's time reviewing the case. Ben feels he got screwed in getting turned down and not being able to speak on his behalf as outlined in the NCAA's regs, I don't blame him at all for wanting a fair appeals process.

Roy Tucker
08-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I think what the NCAA is telling Ben (repeatedly now) is that you can tell us your story till you're blue in the face and we'll be sympathetic, but there isn't any documentation of the injury in question.

I just wonder what UC will do if Mauk's appeal does finally work.

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Today is the day.

Go Cats!

SeeinRed
08-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Its not quite Reds Opening Day, but I've got a little extra bounce in my step today. Looking foward to listening in on the radio while watching the Bengals on TV wishing I was just as excited about them. Should be a fun season for UC football.

Redlegs23
08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
It's definitely a little hard to keep focused at work today.

SeeinRed, are you in Cincy? It's supposed to be a beautiful night...screw the radio, get to the game!

SeeinRed
08-28-2008, 11:57 AM
It's definitely a little hard to keep focused at work today.

SeeinRed, are you in Cincy? It's supposed to be a beautiful night...screw the radio, get to the game!

I would love to, but unfortunately I have to help a friend move some funiture. If I could get outta there in time to make it to the game I would, but its not going to happen. I could try to show up late, but that is a major pet peeve of mine. I can't stand showing up to games late. A nice adult beverage and a muted TV will have to suffice tonight unfortunately.

bucksfan2
08-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I would love to, but unfortunately I have to help a friend move some funiture. If I could get outta there in time to make it to the game I would, but its not going to happen. I could try to show up late, but that is a major pet peeve of mine. I can't stand showing up to games late. A nice adult beverage and a muted TV will have to suffice tonight unfortunately.

I didn't think the game was on TV.

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I didn't think the game was on TV.

Bengals game on TV will be muted and he will listen to the Cats on the radio.

I will be watching the Bearcats game online and forking over the 9.95 since I can't go to the game.

Redlegs23
08-28-2008, 01:07 PM

You're excused this time. Next time moving furniture will have to wait. ;)

paintmered
08-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I'll be rockin' it in the Lair this evening. :)

Let the season begin!

SeeinRed
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM
You're excused this time. Next time moving furniture will have to wait. ;)

Trust me, I've had my thoughts about ducking out for the game, but I value this friend, so I guess I won't. Thanks for the understanding. :)

GoReds33
08-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I didn't get a ticket to this one. I haven't gotten my student ID yet, and won't until the school year starts. I think I could order one on the website, and they would send me it in a email, but I just didn't see the sense in paying them to send me an email, even if it is only a couple bucks.

NorrisHopper30
08-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Go Cats!

*BaseClogger*
08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
BTW Miami opens up tonight in a nice matchup against Vandy...

GoReds33
08-28-2008, 04:52 PM
BTW Miami opens up tonight in a nice matchup against Vandy...Thread theif!;)

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Thread theif!;)

I think he was merely pointing out that at least UC is going to win tonight :D

*BaseClogger*
08-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I think he was merely pointing out that at least UC is going to win tonight :D

You're just bitter because Miami will actually be on TV tonight... :evil:

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
You're just bitter because Miami will actually be on TV tonight... :evil:

Zing! It does suck that Miami is on tv and UC isn't, but thats only because of who each team plays, not because of the teams themselves.

Boston Red
08-28-2008, 06:45 PM
UC game is listed at Channelsurfing.net, so you might be able to see it there for free.

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 07:42 PM
UC game is listed at Channelsurfing.net, so you might be able to see it there for free.

Its working for me, great find! Saved me 9.95

BoydsOfSummer
08-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Don't you people realize, the Browns are playing on Dayton channel 7?!:D

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Don't you people realize, the Browns are playing on Dayton channel 7?!:D

But I want to watch good football :cool:

BoydsOfSummer
08-28-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm trying to get UC on that surfy thing so I can watch both. No luck yet.

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm trying to get UC on that surfy thing so I can watch both. No luck yet.

It took me a while.... finally got it. My boy Goody is having a strong game so far. 19-0 Cats with 9 left in the 2nd quarter.

SeeinRed
08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Those Bearcats... They're not bad.... I'll tell ya what. They have made some mistakes, but those can be fixed. They have a chance to be scary good.

BoydsOfSummer
08-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Got it working just in time for...halftime! :rolleyes:

*BaseClogger*
08-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Well, I'm back from the Miami game a little early... :lol:

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 10:25 PM
40-7 Win for the Bearcats. They looked good for the most part. My fellow Colerainer Goodman had himself a heck of a game.

*BaseClogger*
08-28-2008, 10:31 PM
40-7 Win for the Bearcats. They looked good for the most part. My fellow Colerainer Goodman had himself a heck of a game.

Who were they playing?

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Who were they playing?

National Power Eastern Kentucky :D

Most starters were out by midway through the 3rd.

NorrisHopper30
08-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Gilyard and Goodman looked phenomenal, this team has to have one of the top 10 receiving and DB corps in the nation.

Grutza is very mobile and I have full confidence in him.

BK has 9 days to gameplan for OU, I can't wait.

TheOnlyRedsFan
08-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Bearcats win!!

Buckeye and Bearcats National title game!!

NorrisHopper30
08-30-2008, 02:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXSkE0FtXY

GoReds33
08-30-2008, 10:28 AM
That clip was awful. I did end up going to the game, and didn't see that happen. I guess I was a little late for it. The traffic was awful, and I didn't get in until about 12 minutes till kickoff.

dougdirt
09-02-2008, 03:33 PM
So looks like we are 21 point underdogs at Oklahoma Saturday.... If I were a betting man, I am taking UC and the points. Thats just me though. I think we will lose, but will surprise some people with how close the game is.

GoReds33
09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
So looks like we are 21 point underdogs at Oklahoma Saturday.... If I were a betting man, I am taking UC and the points. Thats just me though. I think we will lose, but will surprise some people with how close the game is.If the game was at UC, I would actually give us the advantage, or atleast even odds. Being that it is at Oklahoma, it will be a very tough game. I really hope we could pull it out, and establish ourselves as one of, if not the powerhouse in the Big East.

Redlegs23
09-02-2008, 05:17 PM
I took UC at +21. I really do not see the Cats losing this one by that much. I'm still holding out hope for an upset, which I think is a real possibility.

NorrisHopper30
09-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm going to put 100 bucks on that 21 point spread.

That's ludicrous.

Go Cats, pretend it's a bowl game and the Sooners should get smoked!

guttle11
09-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I think that's the perfect spread. Oklahoma is scary talented, as much as USC, Florida, Ohio State, and Georgia. And in the regular season...especially at home...they play like a USC, Florida...They win and win big.

I don't expect this to be a game past halftime. At best UC scores late to beat the spread.

BuckeyeRed27
09-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I think that's the perfect spread. Oklahoma is scary talented, as much as USC, Florida, Ohio State, and Georgia. And in the regular season...especially at home...they play like a USC, Florida...They win and win big.

I don't expect this to be a game past halftime. At best UC scores late to beat the spread.

If UC can force a turnover early or have long drive in the 1st quarter I can see them hanging around and if OU lets them do that then UC could win. If this game is played 10 times though OU probably wins 9 of them.
Goodluck to the Bearcats though...I'll be pulling for you for sure.

BearcatShane
09-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Oklahoma has 2 home losses since 2000. A third Saturday would make my year. Seriously. Odds are they'll lose but Brian Kelly knows what he's doing, just watch. He'll have something up his sleeve in this one.

SunDeck
09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I took UC at +21. I really do not see the Cats losing this one by that much. I'm still holding out hope for an upset, which I think is a real possibility.

That's a pretty good bet on your part.

FWIW, back in the day I worked a restaurant that also functioned as the "call center" for a couple of east coast bookies (just consider the usefulness of having seven incoming phone lines!).
I think the early college season was always the time when points spreads were good bets. There are a lot of unknowns at the beginning of the season and it always surprised me that bookies were offering such wide spreads. My guess is they must have made money by banking on a lot of sentimental bets from students and alumni who think their podunk school will pull off the 100 year performance.
Not that I took any of these calls, of course. I just overheard a lot of talk.

"UC and 21! You have to be nuts. I'll take it."

Edskin
09-04-2008, 12:45 PM

That's ludicrous.

Not a good bet. Not at all.

Since 2000 (2nd year of Stoops) OU is 50-2 at home.

The AVERAGE Margin of victory in those games? 29.48

If UC fans have any visions of winning the game, I think they are delusional. If you want to beat OU, it better be on the road or at a neutral site-- where they are clearly more pedestrain. But in Norman, they are as good as it gets.

There was one year (2005) when OU was in transition and they "only" went 5-1 at home (lost to TCU) and the point differentials were more reasonable. But that was an odd year and a team that didn't quite have the talent that this current squad has.

And these numbers weren't just padded with patsies-- they've spread the beatings out between weak Non-conference foes and ranked teams alike.

UC is a solid program, and they deserve respect. My predicition is 45-21 OU, which I think is pretty reasonable. But that also leaves OU covering the spread.

If you want to bet UC for fun/emotional reasons, that's OK of course. In the end, it's gambling, and you very well may wind up winning the bet. But I'm just here to tell you that it is NOT a smart pick from a pure odds standpoint.

I give UC below a 1% chance to win the game, and about a 40% chance to cover the spread.

Redlegs23
09-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Some good research Ed, but I don't see Oklahoma putting up 45 points on UC's defense. The most anyone scored on them last year was 33. I know Oklahoma is better than most the teams they played last year (with the exception of West Virginia who scored 28), but dropping 45 on the Cats isn't a common occurence.

Looking at 2006 nobody scored 45 on them that season either. If you want to compare tough road games UC played at Ohio State in '06 and let up 37, and the following week they played at Virginia Tech and let up 29. West Virginia put up the most on them in '06 with 42 pts. This year's team and defense is much better than the '06 team, so I would be really surprised if the Sooners put up more than 35. I really think UC covers this weekend. If UC's offense can move the ball with any efficiency and doesn't give Oklahoma easy points, I think UC's defense is good enough to hold them to less than 35 points, which should mean that UC will cover.

And one more thing I just realized...the three losses under Brian Kelly all came by a touchdown or less. The Bearcats will cover +21.

Boston Red
09-04-2008, 03:20 PM
In '04 Louisville scored 70 on UC. I know it's not relevant. I just wanted to point it out (BEFORE UC returns the favor soon).

Redlegs23
09-04-2008, 03:51 PM
In '04 Louisville scored 70 on UC. I know it's not relevant. I just wanted to point it out (BEFORE UC returns the favor soon).

Thanks for bringing up the great memory from that day. That was not a fun day to be a Bearcat fan.

NorrisHopper30
09-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't see any team in the country beating UC by 21 consistently. I can see it happening but it's definitely against the odds. Grutza and the offense would have to turn it over a ton for that to happen. A 21 point spread is an insult to this stellar defense.

paintmered
09-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Some good research Ed, but I don't see Oklahoma putting up 45 points on UC's defense. The most anyone scored on them last year was 33. I know Oklahoma is better than most the teams they played last year (with the exception of West Virginia who scored 28), but dropping 45 on the Cats isn't a common occurence.

Looking at 2006 nobody scored 45 on them that season either. If you want to compare tough road games UC played at Ohio State in '06 and let up 37, and the following week they played at Virginia Tech and let up 29. West Virginia put up the most on them in '06 with 42 pts. This year's team and defense is much better than the '06 team, so I would be really surprised if the Sooners put up more than 35. I really think UC covers this weekend. If UC's offense can move the ball with any efficiency and doesn't give Oklahoma easy points, I think UC's defense is good enough to hold them to less than 35 points, which should mean that UC will cover.

And one more thing I just realized...the three losses under Brian Kelly all came by a touchdown or less. The Bearcats will cover +21.

Another point to make is the core of the UC defense are 3 and 4 year starters. As sophomores, they were a solid defense (remember the pressure on them from Dantonio's run and punt offense?) This group is battle tested and experienced in hostile environments.

I'm not holding my breath for a win (although it's possible and stranger things have happened), but if OU puts up 45 against this defense, then that will be validation that OU has one of the top offenses of the new millennium.

Redlegs23
09-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I just read that Oklahoma led the nation in points scored last year, so I guess if anyone's going to put up 45 it will be them. I still think this will be a close game and UC will cover.

SeeinRed
09-06-2008, 12:20 AM
OK, as for predictions for this game, I'll take OU 27 UC 21. I really can't pick UC as much as I want to because I think that would just be a homer call. In reality, they are playing a really good team who has been really good at home. Its a tough one to win anyway you slice it. Can they win? I think so, but its still unlikely. This game may be the best of the week though. Watching UC's defense agians OU's offense should be fun to watch no matter the outcome. BK seems to worry about Grutza going outside the system and trying to do too much. If that were to happen, I could definately see it happening here. A turnover will force the game out of UC's reach and they get score late, but just can't get the last 6 they need. UC comes away dissapointed, but grab the attention of a lot of people with their performance. If UC hangs with 'em, I think it is a huge building block for the rest of the season and into next year. They don't have to win for it to be a good game for them.

Just for reference, Josh Katzowitz (http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/blog/spec-rel/090508aaa.html)calls it 24-14 in favor of OU, and Bill Koch (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog04&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ada6629a0-7bd0-4605-8869-25a20cb5adabPost%3af67205a3-8e79-4866-9d46-08a2469cea71&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com) says BK thinks it will take 3 TD's to be in a position to win. Bruce Feldman (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=feldman_bruce&id=3568844) weighs in at ESPN.com saying OU is just too physical for the Cats. He has 27-10 in favor of the Sooners.

Should be fun!

Michael Young
09-06-2008, 12:35 AM
49-14 OU

dougdirt
09-06-2008, 01:45 AM
49-14 OU

Oklahoma by 5 touchdowns? Really?

Redlegs23
09-06-2008, 09:05 AM
49-14 OU

Looks like someone was hitting the booze a little hard at 12:35 last night. :all_cohol

DoogMinAmo
09-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I am ridiculously fired up for this game. I unfortunately cannot put my homerness aside, and am predicting a game decided by one touchdown, either way. Go Bearcats!

GoReds33
09-06-2008, 10:31 AM
49-14 OUNot going to happen. UC's secondary is good enough to shut down, or atleast slow down OU's offense.

I'll say 21-20 OU. We miss an extra point, or don't get it going for two, with the win now philosophy.

NorrisHopper30
09-06-2008, 11:25 AM
31-24 UC!

Redlegs23
09-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I am ridiculously fired up for this game. I unfortunately cannot put my homerness aside, and am predicting a game decided by one touchdown, either way. Go Bearcats!

Ditto. I woke up nervous today. If I weren't at work right now (don't worry I'll be out the door at 3) I would be knocking back a couple weiser's to settle me down.

SunDeck
09-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Let's not be nuts about this folks. I think UC's defense is good enough to beat the spread, but that's about it. OU wins 38-20.

Or something like that.

joshnky
09-06-2008, 06:18 PM
49-14 OU

You're beginning to appear clairvoyant. Sam Bradford has really exposed the secondary to the tune of 368 (!) yards to this point. This game combined with West Virginia's performance against ECU and Louisville's awful showing last week is a bad sign for the Big East. On the other hand, it gives me hope that a weak Louisville team can win some games in the conference and make a decent bowl.

guttle11
09-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Cincinnati is good. They may even be able to win the Big East. But Oklahoma in Norman is on an entirely different level. I'm only 50% sure my Buckeyes could stay within 17 points in Norman. I'd honestly rather play at USC, Florida, or LSU.

joshnky
09-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Cincinnati is good. They may even be able to win the Big East.

I agree with this but I think its more a function of the Big East this year than it is Cincinnati's relative skill level. This year could be as bad as the transition year a few years back win Pitt won the conference only because someone had to win it.

Redlegs23
09-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Looks like someone underestimated Oklahoma's offense. :wave:

joshnky
09-06-2008, 06:48 PM

That's ludicrous.

I hope you took Edskin's advice and didn't make this bet

Edskin
09-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Just got back from the game....I guess I won't say I told you so :)

OU's simply has an unreal amount of talent on offense. Honestly, Bradford could have thrown for 600 yards in the game. The OU O Line dominated, and the UC secondary didn't have a chance. I have really nice seats in the upper deck where you can see the pass routes develop-- and I can tell you that Bradford had his choice of wide open guys on most plays. Then, when the coverage was better, Bradford was still able to make throws in tight spots.

Our freshmen WR Broyles was a beast as well.

I like Brian Kelly, and UC had a good stategy-- they just don't have the horses to keep up with OU in Norman.

Some people around me (including my Dad) were nervous at halftime, but I said there was no chance OU could possibly lose because UC didn't have a clue how to stop the offense. No chance. I did think at that point though that maybe they could cover the spread.

OU totally dominated the 2nd half, save the putrid kick coverage.

Pretty much as I expected overall. Good effort from UC, but nowhere near making it a "good" game.

HeatherC1212
09-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Any news on Grudza and his injury? The last I read was that it's a broken fibula and that best case scenerio would have him back in about a month. I bet it's longer than that though and boy is that devastating for the UC football team. :(

Redlegs23
09-06-2008, 10:22 PM
If I listened to Edskin I'd have another $10 in my pocket. I really came away impressed with OU today. That offense is darn good. UC's defense is no slouch, and OU could do anything they wanted out there. I'll be surprised if anybody touches them in Norman this year.

Grutza has a broken ankle, which is too bad. He seems like a great person in all his interviews always saying the right thing, and taking the whole Ben Mauk situation very well last year and this year. Hopefully he can come back and be effective. In the meantime we're probably going to have to move forward with Pike, which worries me. I'd love to see Jones in there against Miami, but from what I hear he isn't even close to healthy enough to be in full contact games throwing the ball 20-30 times a game. This injury really hurts, I just hope Pike surprise me and get the job done.

Michael Young
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Looks like someone was hitting the booze a little hard at 12:35 last night. :all_cohol

nope i wasn't drinking but i'd love to know what you and a few others in this thread were smoking :pimp: :)

Redlegs23
09-07-2008, 12:17 AM
nope i wasn't drinking but i'd love to know what you and a few others in this thread were smoking :pimp: :)

It's not like you were dead on or anything. You predicted a 35 point loss. It ended up being a 26 point loss. I predicted a loss as well, I just thought it would be closer than 21 points. So we each predicted about equally bad.

The booze comment might have been a little much though.

paintmered
09-07-2008, 09:10 PM
The early indications point to a very down year for the Big East in 2008. Despite the loss of Grutza, UC has no other team of the caliper of OU on the schedule (I'm not sure there's another one of those in the country. Maybe USC?).

Maybe I've been drinking the kool-aid a bit too much, but I like the Bearcats chances in the Big East this year. WVU is toast, UC has owned USF the last few years, UCONN is toast and the bottom half of the league has shown squat.

BearcatShane
09-07-2008, 10:38 PM
If Pike/Jones or whoever can beat Miami Oh, Akron aand Marshall over the nest 4 weeks and if Dustin can be back on October 11th for Rutgers, then UC can very well win the Big East.

Roy Tucker
09-08-2008, 09:23 AM
IIRC, there was good competition between Grutza and Pike for the starting QB slot and wasn't decided till a couple weeks ago.

Pike has a lot of ability, just not as much game experience nor as much experience at running the spread as Grutza. UC will be all right for the next few weeks.

They threw a little bit of a scare into Oklahoma. Plus, now they know what they need to do to play with the really big boys (and that's where Kelly wants to be).

If it hadn't been for Grutza getting hurt, I would have said this was a good experience for UC.