PDA

View Full Version : Where in the world is ORH?

OldRightHander
08-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok, here we go. A lot of times I'm always starting a thread whenever I'm headed into a certain area, especially when I am facing a possible weekend layover. So now instead of doing that, I'll just update this one. If I'm coming to your hometown and you have any information I might find interesting, you can share that here or PM me. Fair enough?

So here we go. I'm no longer in Texas, or at least I won't be by the end of the week. I just picked up a load in Louisiana and I'm headed for Casper, Wyoming. I will be delivering in Casper on Friday morning. I'm going to try my hardest to get out of there before the weekend, but if I don't find something Friday, I'll be stuck in Wyoming for the weekend. I guess there could be worse places to be. Any interesting info is much welcome.

Yachtzee
08-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Casper, Wyoming? I've always been a fan of maps and sometimes I look at some of those out-of-the-way places and wonder what it's like there. Casper is one of those places. If I know someone visiting Wyoming, it's to hit Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Devil's Tower or some other tourist spot. I really have no idea what Casper is about. Maybe you could update us with some interesting fact you discover about Casper while you're there.

texasdave
08-07-2008, 07:49 AM
True story. A town was founded in Wyoming in the mid-19th century. There was nothing around for miles. It was founded just east of an Army installation. Well in 1867 the Army fort was moved further up the Bozeman Trail to Fetterman. Being out in the middle of the Wild Wild West with no protection from the now-abandoned Army fort the future looked bleak for the town. It was feared that the town would soon dry up. The townsfolk thought it would be kinda sad if the memory of the town was lost in the sands of time. It should be given a name to remember it by. And the name chosen was Casper, which was quite appropriate. Because it was more-than-likely going to end up just another friendly little ghost town.

oneupper
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I know everything is far away in the west, but you might be close enough to Billings to catch a Mustangs game. :thumbup:

westofyou
08-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I know everything is far away in the west, but you might be close enough to Billings to catch a Mustangs game. :thumbup:

Nothing like driving a truck in the Mountains.... 277 mi – about 3 hours 52 minutes between those two places, about Cleveland to Cincinnati...going fast.....far away is correct, here's an example. It's 10 hours to San Francisco from Portland Metro not one city in between there has more than 155K population, and only 2 above 100K (Redding and Eugene) and there is a lot of nothing but nature both east and west as you head down that way.

Redlegs23
08-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Tom Browning is from Casper.

15fan
08-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Wyoming?

Because-I-Said-So-Oming.

OldRightHander
08-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I have arrived in Casper and delivered. Weather is darn near perfect and I'm pretty sleepy. I've checked into a Motel 6 (great small business discount card) where I'm going to wait it out until I see something out of this area. After some sleep, I may do some sightseeing. It looks like at the worst there should be some good hiking areas here.

MaineRed
08-09-2008, 10:17 PM
ORH, what exactly do you haul? And what are you driving? And a totally unrelated question, do you watch Ice Road Truckers?

OldRightHander
08-09-2008, 10:39 PM
ORH, what exactly do you haul? And what are you driving? And a totally unrelated question, do you watch Ice Road Truckers?

I drive a Sprinter van and haul expedited freight. Mostly a lot of automotive parts or other industrial stuff that a factory needs ASAP to get a production line up and running again.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/cdemaris/Casper/006.jpg

TeamCasey
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Take some pics of the inside ........ the mission control center. Do you sleep in it too?

OldRightHander
08-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Take some pics of the inside ........ the mission control center. Do you sleep in it too?

I built a small sleeper right behind the seats, about 42" wide with a 24" wide bed. The sleeper has a cabinet with my printer, DVD player, game system, books, small file box, and extra sheets. There are storage boxes under the bed too.

OldRightHander
08-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Headed down to Denver now.

OldRightHander
08-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, I was headed to Denver to pick up a load going to Portland and I got as far as Cheyenne when I got a message that the load has cancelled. So now I have to decide if I want to sit here in Cheyenne or come on down to Denver. I think I might head on to Denver since it's only 100 miles away.

cincinnati chili
08-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Do you have to head West on I-70 from Denver?

The rain in the mountains was blinding this weekend. I'd hate to drive anything larger than my Nissan through it. When we got back to Denver (from Breckenridge), the roads were bone dry. It's like all the rain is trapped up there.

OldRightHander
08-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Do you have to head West on I-70 from Denver?

The rain in the mountains was blinding this weekend. I'd hate to drive anything larger than my Nissan through it. When we got back to Denver (from Breckenridge), the roads were bone dry. It's like all the rain is trapped up there.

The load cancelled. I'm down in Springs but I might come back up to Denver in the morning.

OldRightHander
08-14-2008, 12:21 AM
On the move again. I picked up a load in Vail and I'm headed to Tulsa. Oklahoma is at least a bit closer to home, so hopefully I'm heading in the right direction and I can get some home time soon.

Unassisted
08-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Last week, I saw a documentary about truck stops which featured a luxurious truck stop somewhere in Wyoming that's decorated like a 5-star hotel. Have you ever been there?

westofyou
08-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Last week, I saw a documentary about truck stops which featured a luxurious truck stop somewhere in Wyoming that's decorated like a 5-star hotel. Have you ever been there?
Was it Little America?

http://www.littleamerica.com/wyoming/

Because if you've been to Wyoming.. you've been there.

Unassisted
08-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Was it Little America?

http://www.littleamerica.com/wyoming/

Because if you've been to Wyoming.. you've been there.That's the place. Now everyone can see that I've never been to Wyoming. :D

OldRightHander
08-14-2008, 04:51 PM
That place has the best driver facilities in the country. Nothing like a shower room with a big tub. I've just delivered in Tulsa and I'm now settled in at the Flying J getting ready to take a shower and a nap.

OldRightHander
08-17-2008, 02:28 PM
No longer in Tulsa. I'm about two hours out of Atlanta where I will be delivering this evening.

OldRightHander
08-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Just arrived in an interesting town...Cincinnati. I should spend more time here.

OldRightHander
08-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Headed back to Atlanta. I might get stuck there if I don't get a load back out tomorrow. I wonder if the Braves are at home???

redsmetz
08-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Headed back to Atlanta. I might get stuck there if I don't get a load back out tomorrow. I wonder if the Braves are at home???

They're in STL this weekend.

OldRightHander
08-21-2008, 07:26 PM
They're in STL this weekend.

:thumbdown

15fan
08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Falcons are home Fri night against Tennessee. Tickets should be cheap and plentiful.

Other thoughts:

www.georgiaaquarium.com

www.zooatlanta.com (See the pandas)

www.accessatlanta.com

On fri after 5:30, you can tour & sample at Sweetwater Brewing Co.

www.sweetwaterbrew.com

It's also worth noting that the DOT is resurfacing 75/85 downtown Fri nights through early Mon am. Here's your url for updates. Avoid the area if at all possible during construction.

http://www.georgianavigator.com/construction/map/atlanta

Good places in town to get some cheap eats include Fat Matt's Rib Shack, Fellini's Pizza, Figo Pasta, Fox Brothers BBQ, or Taqueria del Sol. Try Taco Mac (they're all over) for typical bar fare and a big beer list. Would be good if you want to watch a game or the Olympics on the tube for a while.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Varsity. Far, far away...

Chip R
08-22-2008, 10:10 AM
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/06/abdullah-the-bu.html

OldRightHander
08-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Left Atlanta this morning, headed for Cleveland. I hope this rain stops sooner or later. Cats and dogs would be an understatement.

redsmetz
08-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Left Atlanta this morning, headed for Cleveland. I hope this rain stops sooner or later. Cats and dogs would be an understatement.

Yeah, my daughter just moved to Atlanta and said they were having a deluge. She started college as a meteorlogy major (ran into calculus, end of that!) and was excited to be experiencing her first tropical weather occurance. I'm guessing you're on the other end of the sprectrum.

Of course, we're so desperate for rain in Cincinnati itself (I hear Warren & Butler counties got 4-5 inches the other night, we got the noise), that I'd apprciate you dragging it up here with you.

WebScorpion
09-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Left Atlanta this morning, headed for Cleveland. I hope this rain stops sooner or later. Cats and dogs would be an understatement.:confused:Um, I'm in Charleston, SC right now...I'm supposed to stay and work through the weekend. The word is they may want me to leave tomorrow and come back another weekend. It might get a little wet here...something to do with someone named Hannah?
:confused:

OldRightHander
09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
:confused:Um, I'm in Charleston, SC right now...I'm supposed to stay and work through the weekend. The word is they may want me to leave tomorrow and come back another weekend. It might get a little wet here...something to do with someone named Hannah?

Well, I came home from Cleveland and didn't leave until this morning. Nice break for a few days. I took a short run to Louisville this morning and now I'm headed to Pittsburgh. I'll be delivering in Pittsburgh in the morning and hanging out there until I find something reasonable.

I was never so happy to see blue sky as when I got back close to Cincinnati and had the first day without rain in several days.

dougdirt
09-02-2008, 07:26 PM
:confused:Um, I'm in Charleston, SC right now...I'm supposed to stay and work through the weekend. The word is they may want me to leave tomorrow and come back another weekend. It might get a little wet here...something to do with someone named Hannah?

http://partysupplydirect.com/images/hannah-montana-wall-mural.png

That girl just controls the world doesn't she?

deltachi8
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
ORH- If you make it back to Houston sometime - what's the going rate for delivery of a couple cases of Saranac Beer from NY?

j/k (kind of) - Wishing you safe travels, I like reading your updates

OldRightHander
09-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Sitting in Pittsburgh now. I need to get out of here soon. Too many Steelers fans.

Unassisted
09-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Sitting in Pittsburgh now. I need to get out of here soon. Too many Steelers fans.You could go hang out at Station Square. Lots of places to eat and watch people. When you're finished eating, it has lots of places there to sit outside and watch the river. You could also cross the street and ride the Incline Railway up the hill.

OldRightHander
09-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Headed for Norfolk. I'm hearing the weather won't be too nice there.

OldRightHander
09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Well, I spend quite a bit of time at home lately, but I'm back out. Currently sitting in Elk Mound, Wisconsin, about an hour from St. Paul. I'm staying at my dad's, which is cheaper than burning fuel at a truck stop.

OldRightHander
09-23-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a load of relief supplies delivering in Galveston tomorrow afternoon. I haven't been there in a couple months and I'm not really looking forward to seeing what things look like now.

Highlifeman21
09-23-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a load of relief supplies delivering in Galveston tomorrow afternoon. I haven't been there in a couple months and I'm not really looking forward to seeing what things look like now.

Be safe down there.

OldRightHander
09-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Well, Galveston was an absolute mess. They've made some progress, but it didn't look anything like the last time I was there. Sad. Houston was not much better. Traffic is a nightmare all over the city with the lights out on a lot of secondary roads and more people taking the highways. I was going to go to the game tonight, but I found a load to San Antonio and decided to take that instead. Short trip, but it's money and making it is always better than spending it. So now I'm in San Antonio getting ready to get some sleep and hoping to get something out of here before the weekend.

Jpup
09-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Did you go through Tennessee last Monday? I saw a van just like yours.

OldRightHander
09-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Did you go through Tennessee last Monday? I saw a van just like yours.

I went across the state from Nashville to Memphis. I spent Monday night in Nashville and pulled out of there early Tuesday morning and went to Shreveport. If you saw me on Monday, it would have to have been around Nashville late that night. There are quite a few of these vans on the road these days.

OldRightHander
10-18-2008, 02:01 PM
After doing 825 miles straight through from Akron, I'm now in Ft. Valley, GA, a little town just southwest of Macon. I think I'm going to head up to Atlanta for the weekend and try to get something out of there for Monday.

OldRightHander
10-22-2008, 06:05 PM
I got home from Georgia last night and I'm headed right back south. I have a morning pickup in Indiana and a Friday afternoon delivery in Orlando.

deltachi8
10-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey I will be arriving in Orlando Friday night as well...of course we are there to see the Mouse.

OldRightHander
10-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey I will be arriving in Orlando Friday night as well...of course we are there to see the Mouse.

I will be avoiding the Mouse. I have a friend who lives there, so it looks like I won't have to stay at a truck stop while I'm there.

RFS62
10-22-2008, 11:53 PM
This is probably the best time of the year to visit the Mouse.

Not as hot, smaller crowds.

OldRightHander
10-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Well, I'm in Orlando and my friend who lives here is out of town. :( Also, the reputation as the Sunshine State is taking a hit today. It's been rather gloomy all day.

Then again, it looks like I'll be here for the weekend, so maybe it will be nicer tomorrow or Sunday. I have my bike with me, so I'm open to any suggestions for places to ride.

OldRightHander
11-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Currently in Arkansas. I'll be in Laredo by bedtime.

deltachi8
11-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I got to know that stretch of I30 from Texarkana to Little Rock this summer...not the most exciting road in the world...safe travels...

OldRightHander
11-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I delivered in Laredo this morning, and here I sit. Freight has just been absolutely dead. Now I have to make a decision. Sit here in Laredo, or relocate to another city in Texas. Decisions, decisions.

San Antonio is kind of tempting.

Unassisted
11-08-2008, 02:04 PM
You could go to Wurstfest (http://www.wurstfest.com/)in New Braunfels if you're looking for entertainment and German food.

OldRightHander
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
You could go to Wurstfest (http://www.wurstfest.com/)in New Braunfels if you're looking for entertainment and German food.

Mmm...bratwurst. Sounds good, but probably the last thing I need.

HeadlinerDiners
11-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I delivered in Laredo this morning, and here I sit. Freight has just been absolutely dead. Now I have to make a decision. Sit here in Laredo, or relocate to another city in Texas. Decisions, decisions.

San Antonio is kind of tempting.
I found a place that may interest you and it's close to Laredo. It's in Three Rivers Texas and it's "Nolan Ryan's Waterfront Steakhouse." I'm a sports fan and I enjoy visiting many professional athletes restaurants when we follow the Reds and Bengals on the road. HeadlinerDiners.com has the phone number of Nolan Ryan's restaurant in the new restaurant spot.

redsmetz
12-22-2008, 02:38 PM
ORH, were you heading north on I-75 today a bit after noon? I saw a van that look like your's between I-74 and Mitchell Avenue today and wondered if it was you.

OldRightHander
12-22-2008, 03:52 PM
ORH, were you heading north on I-75 today a bit after noon? I saw a van that look like your's between I-74 and Mitchell Avenue today and wondered if it was you.

I was in Clifton about that time, but I left there and came up 74 back to the house. I haven't been on 75 today.

redsmetz
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I was in Clifton about that time, but I left there and came up 74 back to the house. I haven't been on 75 today.

Too ironic that you were in the area, but that wasn't you that I saw.

OldRightHander
01-31-2009, 03:33 PM
In Fargo at the moment, headed for Billings, MT. I'm probably going as far as Bismarck today because I don't have to deliver until Monday.

redsmetz
01-31-2009, 06:24 PM
In Fargo at the moment, headed for Billings, MT. I'm probably going as far as Bismarck today because I don't have to deliver until Monday.

You going to swing by the ballpark? Shame the Mustangs season doesn't start for about five months.

OldRightHander
01-31-2009, 08:04 PM
You going to swing by the ballpark? Shame the Mustangs season doesn't start for about five months.

I was thinking the same thing. Wrong time of the year to be going there.

nate
02-01-2009, 10:17 AM

Stay away from guys the look like Steve Buscemi.

OldRightHander
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Salt Lake City now.

OldRightHander
02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Heading to Denver. I might hang out in Colorado Springs tonight and tomorrow.

OldRightHander
02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Getting loaded in Newark, NJ with a load delivering in Maine Monday morning. I'm probably going to be in Maine Saturday and Sunday.

nate
02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Getting loaded in Newark, NJ with a load delivering in Maine Monday morning. I'm probably going to be in Maine Saturday and Sunday.

:cool:

OldRightHander
02-20-2009, 07:03 PM
I think that forklift driver is loaded.

OldRightHander
02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, I made it out of Jersey, through the Bronx, and now I'm sitting in Milford, CT for the night. I'm delivering in Maine Monday morning and I was thinking of going on up there tomorrow, but it appears that the state of Maine is sorely lacking in decent truck stops, at least from the directory I'm looking at. Finding a shower over the weekend could be a challenge. I love the northeast.

WebScorpion
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Well, I made it out of Jersey, through the Bronx, and now I'm sitting in Milford, CT for the night.

The Cross-Bronx expressway? I was in bumper to bumper traffic there (on my way to CT) once and two guys stole all 4 hubcaps off a BMW about 10 cars ahead of me and disappeared into the Bronx. By the time the guy got out of his car to scream at them, they were gone. It was freaky.:eek:

OldRightHander
02-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Picked up in Albany last night, load delivering 15 miles from my house. :)

OldRightHander
04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Headed to St. Louis, delivering in Cahokia and heading to the Cards/Pirates game.

OldRightHander
04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, I went to the Cardinals game last night, came back to Cincinnati this morning, and I'm headed to Des Moines tomorrow, taking my wife with me for Easter weekend and all. I might post some of the photos from Busch.

OldRightHander
06-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Loaded out of Maryland and headed for Tampa.

Jpup
06-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Loaded out of Maryland and headed for Tampa.

Going to the Trop?

BTW, it always amazes me at how far you go in such a short amount of time.

OldRightHander
06-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Going to the Trop?

I went to the game tonight. I'm not much into dome stadiums, but it was kind of convenient given how hot it was out at game time. I took a few photos and I'll post those when I get them transferred into photobucket.

OldRightHander
08-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Currently in Ames, IA. Has anything good ever come out of Iowa? ;)

paintmered
08-19-2009, 10:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyeY0hWU28I

Chip R
08-19-2009, 10:06 PM

Ahem!

OldRightHander
08-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Ahem!

I was wondering how long that would take.

Heading home in the morning, only a 9 hour drive.

OldRightHander
08-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Heading to San Francisco in the morning. Y'all enjoy the gathering without me. Are the Giants in town this week?

NoCalRed
08-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Heading to San Francisco in the morning. Y'all enjoy the gathering without me. Are the Giants in town this week?

Yeah they are home tonight against the Rox, then three against Arizona, and then three more against the Rox to finish out the week and month. The games against Colorado are for the wild card lead so should be good games.

OldRightHander
08-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Yeah they are home tonight against the Rox, then three against Arizona, and then three more against the Rox to finish out the week and month. The games against Colorado are for the wild card lead so should be good games.

Good news there. I'm going to be arriving there on Thursday evening, so I may have to catch a game that night. The only park I've been to on the west coast is Dodger Stadium, so it will be nice to add another one to the list.

OldRightHander
08-27-2009, 07:40 PM
I have arrived at my delivery, 60 miles from the ballpark, so if they unload me quickly, I should be good.

NoCalRed
08-27-2009, 07:54 PM
I have arrived at my delivery, 60 miles from the ballpark, so if they unload me quickly, I should be good.

Where are you exactly? I ask because I live about 60 miles from the park, north that is.

OldRightHander
08-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Where are you exactly? I ask because I live about 60 miles from the park, north that is.

I was in Tracy. I'm in Oakland now.

NoCalRed
08-27-2009, 09:25 PM
I was in Tracy. I'm in Oakland now.
Ahh 60 miles to the east, probably heading across the bay bridge now. I'm north of the GG birdge. Hope you get in to a game and have a good time.

OldRightHander
08-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Made the game, barely. Now I just need to find someplace around here to get a shower. Not enough truck stops in this state.

RBA
08-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Made the game, barely. Now I just need to find someplace around here to get a shower. Not enough truck stops in this state.

I hear they have 'them' bath houses there. You should try it out. :eek:

OldRightHander
08-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Heading into Phoenix. Thinking about catching a game there tonight.

westofyou
08-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Not enough truck stops in this state.

It's part of what make it such a great place.

OldRightHander
08-30-2009, 12:06 AM
It's part of what make it such a great place.

People want their goods delivered but don't want the people who deliver those goods to have an adequate place to rest after the delivery. Some states appreciate the people who bring the goods while others act like the goods just magically appear on the store shelves.

pedro
08-30-2009, 01:37 AM
People want their goods delivered but don't want the people who deliver those goods to have an adequate place to rest after the delivery. Some states appreciate the people who bring the goods while others act like the goods just magically appear on the store shelves.

I think you're reading to much into it. It probably has a lot more to do with the price and scarcity of real estate as it does anything else.

OldRightHander
08-30-2009, 02:15 AM
I think you're reading to much into it. It probably has a lot more to do with the price and scarcity of real estate as it does anything else.

I was just responding to a comment that a small number of truck stops is somehow a good thing. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

That aside, I did enjoy the scenery in northern Cal. Some nice drives there.

RBA
08-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I think there is plenty of truck stops along I-5. But it's gong to be a hot one today.

westofyou
08-30-2009, 11:25 AM

Exactly, plus my comment was tongue in cheek too... and you'll find (like RBA says) plenty of truck stops 75 miles off the coastal area. Where land is cheaper and folks don't have to pay and arm and leg for acreage. As for "goods" the Bay Area is also a shipping and rail hub and thus goods arrive in more ways than in trucks.

OldRightHander
08-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Exactly, plus my comment was tongue in cheek too... and you'll find (like RBA says) plenty of truck stops 75 miles off the coastal area. Where land is cheaper and folks don't have to pay and arm and leg for acreage. As for "goods" the Bay Area is also a shipping and rail hub and thus goods arrive in more ways than in trucks.

It was late and I was tired and cranky.

I did find plenty of places down 5 all the way to L.A., but I didn't need to stick around long. I'm headed across I-10 with a load bound for Atlanta. I stopped in Phoenix for a D' backs game last night, grabbed some sleep east of Tucson, and I'm now in New Mexico a couple hours from El Paso.

RBA
08-31-2009, 01:58 AM
If you get stuck in Atlanta. Reds are in town 4-6 Sep. Fri, Sat, Sun

OldRightHander
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
It's been a while since I updated this one. I took a load from home on the 2nd and delivered in Sacramento. Since then I've been down to L.A., from L.A. to Boise, from Boise to Medford, OR, and now I'm headed up to Portland to hang out for the weekend and try my luck for something out of there Monday. I hope this rain stops and the weather clears up a bit, but I guess the rain is better than snow.