PDA

View Full Version : Burton Still Having Problems

WVRedsFan
08-07-2008, 12:10 AM
From Fay:

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog07

I talked to Jared Burton. He's pretty down. The throwing session Monday did not go well. He took yesterday and today off. "I'm frustrated," he said. "It was was good in long toss. But when I tried to get it up to game speed, off the mound, it was pulling." Burton has been on the DL since July 19 with a strained lat muscle.

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2008, 12:24 AM
With the Reds 11 games under .500 Burton shouldn't be brought back until he is 100% healthy. They should even consider shutting him down for the season. At this point in the season there is no sense in rushing him back and risking further injury. This injury may actually be a blessing in disguise considering he was on pace to throw in upwards of 80+ innings which would be unchartered territory for him. With Burton down I'd like to see Roenicke get called up and serve as the 8th inning guy for the rest of the season in order to prepare him for next season.

WVRedsFan
08-07-2008, 12:26 AM
With the Reds 11 games under .500 Burton shouldn't be brought back until he is 100% healthy. They should even consider shutting him down for the season. At this point in the season there is no sense in rushing him back and risking further injury. This injury may actually be a blessing in disguise considering he was on pace to throw in upwards of 80+ innings which would be unchartered territory for him. With him down I'd like to see Roenicke get called up and serve as the 8th inning guy for the rest of the season in order to prepare him for next season.

Totally agree. But shutting him down might be the worst thing they could do for him. I don't want them to rush him. If he's healthy, bring him back. Otherwise, let him heal on his own schedule. Jerry Hairston is living proof of that.

SirFelixCat
08-07-2008, 02:42 AM
With the Reds 11 games under .500 Burton shouldn't be brought back until he is 100% healthy. They should even consider shutting him down for the season. At this point in the season there is no sense in rushing him back and risking further injury. This injury may actually be a blessing in disguise considering he was on pace to throw in upwards of 80+ innings which would be unchartered territory for him. With Burton down I'd like to see Roenicke get called up and serve as the 8th inning guy for the rest of the season in order to prepare him for next season.

I totally agree.

Big Klu
08-07-2008, 08:32 PM

Totally agree. But shutting him down might be the worst thing they could do for him. I don't want them to rush him. If he's healthy, bring him back. Otherwise, let him heal on his own schedule. Jerry Hairston is living proof of that.

I totally agree.

I also agree.

Sea Ray
08-08-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm confused. Is Burton's problem in his torso or shoulder?

OnBaseMachine
08-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Burton throws bullpen session
Injured right-handed reliever trying to remain positive
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- When reliever Jared Burton first strained the latissimus muscle on his right side just before the All-Star break, he thought he'd be out just a few games.

On Friday, Burton missed his 27th game. He's been on the disabled list since July 19. Instead of working in a game, he threw a bullpen session at 70 percent intensity with the catcher positioned in front of the plate.

"I will hopefully test it out a little more on Sunday and see how it goes," Burton said.

There is no timetable yet for a return, partially because his rehab was slowed by a setback last week when he tried to pitch off a mound at full speed.

"It's like not even there as an everyday thing. When I work out, you don't even feel it," Burton said. "But the explosive arm speed of gearing it up and letting it go, that's when it gets me. It's been very frustrating. I can do anything else, but when I try to pitch and throw the way I throw ... I can't perform."

Burton's injury was especially unfortunate because he was having a strong second season for Cincinnati. In 43 appearances, he was 4-1 with a 2.23 ERA. He walked 17 and struck out 50.

On Thursday, Burton long tossed from a distance of 150 feet with no issue. Because he's felt good, Burton has been tempted to test his injury, but he also is apprehensive of the potential consequences.

"I'm optimistic as a person," Burton said, "but this has been very hard and frustrating to have it in the back of my mind, 'uh-oh, is it going to do it again when I get on the mound?'"

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080815&content_id=3313860&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

fearofpopvol1
08-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Just shut him down for the season. It's lost anyway. No reason to rush him.

Tommyjohn25
08-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Burton throws bullpen session
Injured right-handed reliever trying to remain positive

CINCINNATI -- When reliever Jared Burton first strained the latissimus muscle on his right side just before the All-Star break, he thought he'd be out just a few games.

On Friday, Burton missed his 27th game. He's been on the disabled list since July 19. Instead of working in a game, he threw a bullpen session at 70 percent intensity with the catcher positioned in front of the plate.

"I will hopefully test it out a little more on Sunday and see how it goes," Burton said.

There is no timetable yet for a return, partially because his rehab was slowed by a setback last week when he tried to pitch off a mound at full speed.

"It's like not even there as an everyday thing. When I work out, you don't even feel it," Burton said. "But the explosive arm speed of gearing it up and letting it go, that's when it gets me. It's been very frustrating. I can do anything else, but when I try to pitch and throw the way I throw ... I can't perform."

Burton's injury was especially unfortunate because he was having a strong second season for Cincinnati. In 43 appearances, he was 4-1 with a 2.23 ERA. He walked 17 and struck out 50.

On Thursday, Burton long tossed from a distance of 150 feet with no issue. Because he's felt good, Burton has been tempted to test his injury, but he also is apprehensive of the potential consequences.

"I'm optimistic as a person," Burton said, "but this has been very hard and frustrating to have it in the back of my mind, 'uh-oh, is it going to do it again when I get on the mound?'"

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080815&content_id=3313860&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

As an individual who has played alot of ball, and has experienced pain from throwing, I can say that the subconcious effects are the worst. It's something that's always in the back of your mind, constantly thinking "when is the pain going to come again?" Hopefully he can get past it soon.

RedlegJake
08-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I'd shut him down for this season. The latissimus is a big muscle and a nagging kind of injury that can take a long time to heal. In itself it doesn't worry me - it's the fear of him hurting his shoulder pitching awkwardly if it isn't healed completely. I'd tell him to rehab it carefully and let it rest alot and bring him back completely healthy next spring.

RedsManRick
08-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Agreed with everybody else. Shut him down. Have him on a targeted work out program in the offseason, weights, long throwing, stretching -- whatever is appropriate -- and get him 100% for next year. I'm just happy it's muscular and not a joint/tendon. Given enough time, it should heal up fine. Just needs to stop aggravating it.

Matt700wlw
08-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I wonder if Dusty using Burton, it seems like, in every game, even blowouts (when he should have rested him) contributed to any of this...

Just throwing it out there.

Degenerate39
08-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Just shut him down for the season. It's lost anyway. No reason to rush him.

Agreed. If Harang bombs tonight then shut him down for the season too.

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Burton pain-free in simulated game
Injured Reds reliever could begin rehab assignment next week

DENVER -- The reliever was relieved about his progress.

Injured Reds right-hander Jared Burton threw 30 pitches Friday in a simulated session at Coors Field against Adam Rosales and Jolbert Cabrera. Burton, currently on the disabled list, has been out of action since July 10 because of a strained right latissimus muscle in his side.

"All in all, it was a good day," Burton said. "I was excited last night going to sleep, knowing I was going to get to do that today. It was a big day for me, mentally and physically, to take that step."

Following a setback earlier this month, Burton resumed throwing last week and gradually increased the intensity.

Although he limited himself to throwing only fastballs and changeups, Friday was the hardest he's pushed himself.

"I was letting it go a little bit," Burton said. "Mike Stefanski, the bullpen catcher, caught me and said the ball had good life on it. It's just a matter of when I dial it up to get that command back. I didn't hit anybody."

Most importantly, there were no complaints of pain.

Veteran David Weathers has been solid since taking over the eighth inning after Burton went down, but the bullpen would certainly like him back. He is 4-1 with a 2.23 ERA in 43 games with 17 walks and 50 strikeouts.

Burton is slated to pitch in another simulated game on Tuesday in Houston. If all goes well, he could begin a rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Louisville on Thursday.

"It's just a matter of getting that limberness and arm speed back. Everything was good," Burton said.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080822&content_id=3350859&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Burton ready for rehab assignment
Reds reliever happy after throwing two simulated innings

HOUSTON -- All systems are go for Jared Burton to head out for a rehab assignment.

The Reds reliever threw 30 pitches over two simulated innings at Minute Maid Park on Tuesday. Burton faced Cincinnati hitters Javy Valentin and Adam Rosales, and the strained latissimus muscle in his side that had kept him out the entire second half again was not a factor.

"It went awesome," Burton said. "My pitches had the late life that I needed. The command was even better today. That's the thing I was happy about."

Burton will join Triple-A Louisville for a rehabilitation assignment and pitch on Thursday and Saturday. If all goes well, the right-hander will come off the disabled list and rejoin the Reds next Tuesday.

Tuesday marked the second time in four days Burton worked under simulated game conditions.

Burton, who hasn't pitched for the Reds since July 10, is 4-1 with a 2.23 ERA in 43 games this season. He has 50 strikeouts and 17 walks.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080826&content_id=3371373&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2008, 01:48 PM
ANOTHER PITCHER joins the Reds Tuesday when bullpenner Jared Burton returns from the disabled list, where he has resided since the week before the All-Star break.

He pitched an inning Thursday and an inning Saturday on rehab at Louisville and was back in the Reds’ clubhouse Sunday, ready to pitch.

“My command was better Saturday than Thursday, but there was some rust Thursday,” said Burton. On Saturday he walked one, but gave up no hits or runs. “It has been a long time and I’m anxious to get back and finish strong. I was having a good season and I’ve worked hard, now I want to get the rewards of that hard work the last month.”

Said Baker, “Jared was having a great year, almost an All-Star year, really.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/