KronoRed
08-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Hilarious, have fun in that bowl of talent mr.I can't retire :D

paintmered
08-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Fearless prediction: Favre retires again within the week. :D

macro
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
It's official: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j881zhPHuB5JUaZnX0PrPiHBTdagD92D8F1O0

NorrisHopper30
08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Thank the lord, hopefully all of the ESPN coverage ends.

macro
08-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank the lord, hopefully all of the ESPN coverage ends.

I've had ESPN News on the TV in the background all morning and they have not mentioned this story at all. Not a word has been said about it.

;)

Dom Heffner
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
You know, not sure why it's suddenly cool to rip Brett Favre. People change their mind- big deal. If he wants to play, let him, and leave him be.

My attitude is this: if the Packers think they can win with Aaron Rodgers, be my guest.

If Rodgers tanks this year- which is a likely happening- that team is going to kick itself pretty hard.

Hoosier Red
08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
I think Favre is hurt by two things in the public perception.
1. The will he won't he drama of the past two years
2. The publics overall fatigue of athletes who "retire" than come back in and play. It's been an ever increasing trend.

Also he handled it horribly from a PR standpoint. Green Bay called his bluff at every turn.
I believe his 2005 and 2006 are more representative of what we'll see than his 2007.

The real problem is by coming back he sets a ridiculously high bar for himself. Joe Montana is the last QB to win a playoff game for the Chiefs, and everyone acts as though he was like Willie Mays with the Mets. If the Jets fail to make the playoffs(a 50/50 proposition at least) everyone will remember how old Favre looked in guiding an also ran team.

Dom Heffner
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
The 2005, 2006 seasons could have been due to his supporting cast.

He's still better than Aaron Rodgers.

Oxilon
08-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Wait, Brett Favre is now playing for the Jets? I thought he was retiring? Man, they need to have more press on this because this is news to me.

WVRed
08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
You know, not sure why it's suddenly cool to rip Brett Favre. People change their mind- big deal. If he wants to play, let him, and leave him be.

My attitude is this: if the Packers think they can win with Aaron Rodgers, be my guest.

If Rodgers tanks this year- which is a likely happening- that team is going to kick itself pretty hard.

I agree with this to an extent. I don't see Rodgers being overly successful, especially considering the Jeff Tedford effect(Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller)

My problem with the whole situation is Favre has talked about retiring before. I feel its more of a love for the spotlight than it is a love for the game. Same way I feel about Roger Clemens.

Yachtzee
08-07-2008, 05:41 PM
I agree with this to an extent. I don't see Rodgers being overly successful, especially considering the Jeff Tedford effect(Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller)

My problem with the whole situation is Favre has talked about retiring before. I feel its more of a love for the spotlight than it is a love for the game. Same way I feel about Roger Clemens.

My problem is that the whole retire/unretire business messes with the team you're dealing with. Forget about whether Aaron Rodgers is better than Favre. Favre told the Packers he was retiring. The Packers made changes accordingly, including changes that probably affect the salary cap. Then Favre wants to come back. Well guess what? Now the Packers have to make roster changes again to account for Favre's cap hit again. Bringing Favre back doesn't just mean that Aaron Rodgers doesn't get a shot. It also means you're probably going to have to make some cap cuts to make room for him again. Those cap cuts could hurt your depth at more positions than just QB.

camisadelgolf
08-08-2008, 04:14 AM
Wait, Brett Favre is now playing for the Jets? I thought he was retiring? Man, they need to have more press on this because this is news to me.

I'm just glad I finally found a message board that's willing to talk about this.

improbus
08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I know I'm going to get attacked, but is there a more overrated player in the history of the NFL than Brett Favre? He was a great player, but his greatest attribute was that he didn't get hurt. Here are some of his downfalls:
1) He was uncoachable for 10 years. He basically did what he wanted.
2) He was a questionable decision maker. Brett didn't care about double or triple coverage, he just fired it in there.
3) He could throw you right out of a game. In '05, he threw 29 interceptions. Ouch.
4) In career ADJ. Passing Yards per attempt, which takes into account interceptions and getting bonus points for touchdowns. Favre ranks 42nd, below Neil O'Donnell, Ken O'Brien, and Steve Beuerlein. (#1 all time is Steve Young) (In 2006, he ranked 26th in the NFL in this stat, between Jake Delhomme and Byron Leftwich)
5) He always got the kid gloves treatment from the media (much like Jordan)
6) The Pack won the SB because of Reggie White (just like the Giants won the SB because of Strahan, Umenyiora, and Justin Tuck, not Eli)

I still think he was great, but I would still take Montana, Brady, Young, Marino, Elway, and Manning over Favre.

Raisor
08-08-2008, 12:03 PM
My wife, a life long Jets fan AND a huge Bret Favre fan, wanted me to post the following:

J..E..T..S. JETS JETS JETS

BRM
08-08-2008, 12:07 PM
The Madden jinx will take care of Favre soon enough.

KoryMac5
08-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I know I'm going to get attacked, but is there a more overrated player in the history of the NFL than Brett Favre? He was a great player, but his greatest attribute was that he didn't get hurt. Here are some of his downfalls:
2) He was a questionable decision maker. Brett didn't care about double or triple coverage, he just fired it in there.
3) He could throw you right out of a game. In '05, he threw 29 interceptions. Ouch.
4) In career ADJ. Passing Yards per attempt, which takes into account interceptions and getting bonus points for touchdowns. Favre ranks 42nd, below Neil O'Donnell, Ken O'Brien, and Steve Beuerlein. (#1 all time is Steve Young) (In 2006, he ranked 26th in the NFL in this stat, between Jake Delhomme and Byron Leftwich)
6) The Pack won the SB because of Reggie White (just like the Giants won the SB because of Strahan, Umenyiora, and Justin Tuck, not Eli)

I still think he was great, but I would still take Montana, Brady, Young, Marino, Elway, and Manning over Favre.

I don't think you would get ripped for stating what many of us already know, Favre was good, not great. We've had him forced down our throat by Madden and ESPN for the last 5 years to the point we are sick of him. Most of this over rating is due to the lack of good QB's in the league which make Favre's numbers look superior.

I think Favre is done after this year, he didn't look happy to be in NY, and I think his lack of enthusiasm will carry over to New Jersey.

improbus
08-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I don't think you would get ripped for stating what many of us already know, Favre was good, not great. We've had him forced down our throat by Madden and ESPN for the last 5 years to the point we are sick of him. Most of this over rating is due to the lack of good QB's in the league which make Favre's numbers look superior.

I think Favre is done after this year, he didn't look happy to be in NY, and I think his lack of enthusiasm will carry over to New Jersey.

You mean for the last 15 years. Put it this way, the day Favre retired was a National Day of Mourning for middle aged white guys everywhere.

And I'm not sure I buy into you "not too many good QB's" argument. Think about it, a 1st ballot HOF'er who had a tremendous year last year only had 4 teams out of 32 interested, that is telling. The QB position is pretty deep right now, maybe not mid-'80's deep, but pretty close. There are three first ballot HOF'ers in Brady, Manning, and Favre, and then after them you have:
Palmer, Brees, McNabb, Romo, Bulger (very underrated), Big Ben (who is getting scary and is one of the most efficient QB's in history). That is a decent group. It is not Elway, Montana, Marino, Moon, Kelly, Esiason good, but still pretty amazing.

Highlifeman21
08-10-2008, 02:13 PM

Emmitt Smith ranks high on my all-time list of overrated players in NFL history. Brett Favre would easily make the top 10 on my list.

1. Emmitt Smith
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Joe Namath
4. Zach Thomas
5. Charles Woodson
6. Jeremy Shockey
7. Keyshawn Johnson
8. Lynn Swann
9. Tom Brady
10. Brett Favre

Favre's definitely up there, but I'd like to think there are some others more deserving of being "overrated"

*BaseClogger*
08-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Emmitt Smith ranks high on my all-time list of overrated players in NFL history. Brett Favre would easily make the top 10 on my list.

1. Emmitt Smith
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Joe Namath
4. Zach Thomas
5. Charles Woodson
6. Jeremy Shockey
7. Keyshawn Johnson
8. Lynn Swann
9. Tom Brady
10. Brett Favre

Favre's definitely up there, but I'd like to think there are some others more deserving of being "overrated"

Love this list, except why Zach Thomas?

Chad Pennington for backup QB anybody?

Highlifeman21
08-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Love this list, except why Zach Thomas?

Chad Pennington for backup QB anybody?

Zach Thomas has been nothing but useless and hurt during his entire career, and IMO definitely overrated and overhyped.

I also chalk it up to his ridiculously high rating(s) in Madden. There's no justification for that.

cincrazy
08-10-2008, 07:12 PM

1. Emmitt Smith
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Joe Namath
4. Zach Thomas
5. Charles Woodson
6. Jeremy Shockey
7. Keyshawn Johnson
8. Lynn Swann
9. Tom Brady
10. Brett Favre

I agree with a good part of that list... but I'd put Namath #1. He's talked about as one of the greatest QB's of all time, but his career stats are nothing short of Rex Grossman-esque

And why Tom Brady on the list? I think Brady makes his Bellicheat overrated, but I don't think Brady himself is.

improbus
08-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I would disagree with Emmitt to a certain degree. Here is my criteria. If I had one game to win, how high on the list would this guy be? As far as RB's go, here is my short list:
1) Jim Brown
2) Emmitt Smith
3) Walter Payton

Emmitt knew how to find the end zone. His game against the Giants where he carried the team on his back with a separated shoulder was the clincher. He was consistent (unlike Barry Sanders), durable (unlike Faulk), tough (unlike Dickerson), and a winner. Just a great player.

Degenerate39
08-10-2008, 11:01 PM
This is like seeing Griffey in a White Sox jersey.

improbus
08-10-2008, 11:11 PM
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite websites. If you are like me, whenever I am in a huge crowd I love seeing what jerseys people wear and the more obscure the better. Well...there is a website dedicated to this.

http://straightcashhomey.net/

camisadelgolf
08-11-2008, 01:59 AM
So many people say Keyshawn Johnson is overrated that I'd be tempted to put him in the underrated list. He isn't an all-time great receiver, but he was a decent #1 receiver in his prime, and later in his career, he was the ideal #2 receiver. It's not like he had brilliant quarterbacks throwing to him his entire career.

MWM
08-11-2008, 02:14 AM

Pretty much how I feel about it. He handled it poorly, but I can't blame him at all for deciding he wasn't ready to retire. Realistically, he could only physically play for another year or two. Pro sports is different than anything else because they do have such a short time at which they can play. Stepping away would be difficult. So he thought he'd be able to and it turned out he loved to play too much to step away. I can understand that.

Now how he handled it is a completely different story, but for folks to crack him for not retiring is a little harsh.

I also have no idea why the Packers didn't welcome him back. i understand wanting to move on if they were rebuilding and wanted Rodgers to get his reps to grow into the position, but they were yards away from going to the Super Bowl last year and they've got the same team back with a full season now of Ryan Grant. They were a legit Super Bowl team. With Rodgers they might still contend for a playoff spot, but it's going to be a grind and they have little chance at a Super Bowl. It makes no sense to me for them to cast him off like they did. I think they're going to regret it. If they had so much faith in Rodgers, they wouldn't have drafted Brohm.

Yachtzee
08-11-2008, 08:25 AM
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite websites. If you are like me, whenever I am in a huge crowd I love seeing what jerseys people wear and the more obscure the better. Well...there is a website dedicated to this.

http://straightcashhomey.net/

My all-time favorite of silly jerseys people wear are found at any Browns game. For years, the number one jersey you'd see at games was Chris Spielman, a guy that never played for the Browns. Even today at Browns' games, I bet you'd find Spielman jerseys to be third most seen, behind maybe Brady Quinn and Braylon Edwards.

Highlifeman21
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree with a good part of that list... but I'd put Namath #1. He's talked about as one of the greatest QB's of all time, but his career stats are nothing short of Rex Grossman-esque

And why Tom Brady on the list? I think Brady makes his Bellicheat overrated, but I don't think Brady himself is.

IMO, Brady is very much a product of the system QB, who lacks in overall talent/skills.

Just b/c he's been in the right place at the right time on the right team doesn't make him great, IMO.

cincrazy
08-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Pretty much how I feel about it. He handled it poorly, but I can't blame him at all for deciding he wasn't ready to retire. Realistically, he could only physically play for another year or two. Pro sports is different than anything else because they do have such a short time at which they can play. Stepping away would be difficult. So he thought he'd be able to and it turned out he loved to play too much to step away. I can understand that.

Now how he handled it is a completely different story, but for folks to crack him for not retiring is a little harsh.

I also have no idea why the Packers didn't welcome him back. i understand wanting to move on if they were rebuilding and wanted Rodgers to get his reps to grow into the position, but they were yards away from going to the Super Bowl last year and they've got the same team back with a full season now of Ryan Grant. They were a legit Super Bowl team. With Rodgers they might still contend for a playoff spot, but it's going to be a grind and they have little chance at a Super Bowl. It makes no sense to me for them to cast him off like they did. I think they're going to regret it. If they had so much faith in Rodgers, they wouldn't have drafted Brohm.

I don't have a problem with Brett wanting to play again. But my problem lies with the fact that Brett has held that franchise hostage every offseason for 3-4 years. Whether it be deciding to retire or un-retire, whining about Randy Moss, whining about all the youth, or whatever the cause was, he was nothing but a drama queen. Ted Thompson has rebuilt that team from absolute scratch, with a Hall of Fame QB second-guessing his every move. It was time for both parties to split ways.

I tend to think the Packers in their post-Favre life will do world's better than Brett in his post-Packers life.

improbus
08-11-2008, 12:49 PM
IMO, Brady is very much a product of the system QB, who lacks in overall talent/skills.

Just b/c he's been in the right place at the right time on the right team doesn't make him great, IMO.

Uhh......really? Before he had Randy Moss and Wes Welker, he had one of the worst receiving cores in the NFL and still won three Super Bowls. Everything about football is based on a system. Carson has TJ and Chad, Peyton has Harrison and Wayne. Look what Brady did when he got some wideouts. He had the greatest season a QB has ever had. Every QB is a system QB. Montana was a West Coast (should be called "Cincinnati") QB, so was Young, so was Favre.

Dom Heffner
08-26-2008, 06:56 PM
so was Favre

I dunno about Favre. From what I have read Holmgrem would call a play and Brett wouldn't run it most of the time. Just went out there and slung it where he wanted, pretty much improv.

Though I would agree with your assessment of Brady for the most part. It's a little late to dismiss him as purely a system QB. That team is lost without Brady. If it were the sytem, you could plug in any old soul out there.

But geesh- give John Elway the receiving talent Brady had last year, or put Elway on those 49er teams and lordy, that would have been scary.