PDA

View Full Version : Is Patterson Dusty's son in law?

icehole3
08-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I heard this from a reliable source 700 wlw's Willie Cunningham said it was reported by Tracy Jones. If this is true it may be clouding Dusty's judgment and I would begin to question his decision making.

Always Red
08-08-2008, 05:42 PM
... reliable source 700 wlw's Willie Cunningham said it was reported by Tracy Jones...

I think this clinches it. It is August Fools Day!

Matt700wlw
08-08-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't THINK it's true, but we have speculated it...

I've asked around, to people who spend time down there, and nobody seems to be able to confirm it, which tells me that it probably isn't.

mbgrayson
08-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Dusty's bio from the Reds.com (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/coach_staff_bio.jsp?c_id=cin&coachorstaffid=110481)site says he has a 28 year old daughter from his first marraige named "Natosha". That is the same age as Patterson, who is also 28....

WVRedsFan
08-08-2008, 07:03 PM
If it came from Cunningham or Jones, i'd discount it as more of the same old WLW crap--much like the horrible Junior "tributes" after he was traded. Balderdash.

savafan
08-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I honestly can't think of any better reason why CFP continues to get playing time.

redsmetz
08-08-2008, 07:10 PM
According to the Reds roster, his bio says that he is single.

GAC
08-08-2008, 07:15 PM
If true then Dusty has nothing to worry about seeing how much Corey strikes out. ;)

mbgrayson
08-08-2008, 07:29 PM
If true then Dusty has nothing to worry about seeing how much Corey strikes out. ;)

But he swings at everything! And steals bases....

KronoRed
08-08-2008, 11:37 PM
But he swings at everything! And steals bases....

Can't steal 1st though

WebScorpion
08-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Really I don't have a problem playing Corey at this point in the season, he saves wear and tear on our young pitchers (and the other team's pitchers) and the more we lose the better our standing in the draft order. Colorado won and we lost today, so we've go tthe #6 pick at the moment. Cleveland won too, so the #5 pick is within our grasp.

Oh yeah, Corey is actually Dusty's illegitimate love child. :thumbup:

Degenerate39
08-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Really I don't have a problem playing Corey at this point in the season, he saves wear and tear on our young pitchers (and the other team's pitchers) and the more we lose the better our standing in the draft order. Colorado won and we lost today, so we've go tthe #6 pick at the moment. Cleveland won too, so the #5 pick is within our grasp.

Oh yeah, Corey is actually Dusty's illegitimate love child. :thumbup:

And they'll get the #8 pick because of Alsonso. I just hope they don't draft him again next year with either of their top 10 picks.

WebScorpion
08-09-2008, 03:07 AM
And they'll get the #8 pick because of Alonso. I just hope they don't draft him again next year with either of their top 10 picks. I don't know... the #2,3,4, and 5 picks haven't signed yet either. The comp pick for Alonso could potentially be the 12th actual pick. :( I think it's going to be a different kind of draft this year...those comp picks have given the teams a newfound ability to set their own price. It's going to take a load of Boras clients not getting their sky-high demands met to smarten up the draftees. Alvarez and Alonso both are expecting $7-$8mil from the Pirates and Reds when the #1 pick signed for $6mil. I fully expect Alvarez(#2), Hosmer(#3), Alonso(#7), and Crow(#9) to go back to school. :thumbdown

icehole3
08-09-2008, 07:30 AM
According to the Reds roster, his bio says that he is single.

maybe she's shacked up with Patterson thus making her the common law girlfriend/wife/broad.

hebroncougar
08-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I believe the story goes that Patterson was, at one time, engaged to Baker's daughter.

KronoRed
08-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Sounds like the usual malarkey from 700, only trust the weather and traffic reports from that station.

Mario-Rijo
08-10-2008, 03:19 AM
I don't know... the #2,3,4, and 5 picks haven't signed yet either. The comp pick for Alonso could potentially be the 12th actual pick. :( I think it's going to be a different kind of draft this year...those comp picks have given the teams a newfound ability to set their own price. It's going to take a load of Boras clients not getting their sky-high demands met to smarten up the draftees. Alvarez and Alonso both are expecting $7-$8mil from the Pirates and Reds when the #1 pick signed for $6mil. I fully expect Alvarez(#2), Hosmer(#3), Alonso(#7), and Crow(#9) to go back to school. :thumbdown

If Hosmer goes to school it will be his 1st year in college, so that could make the decision to do so less likely I would think. And I expect Crow to get his money, just a gut instinct. Alvarez and Alonso perhaps could go back though for their SR. seasons and probably not hurt their draft stock sans an injury. It certainly makes taking Alonso look more foolish by the day.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Sounds like the usual malarkey from 700, only trust the weather and traffic reports from that station.

ESPECIALLY the traffic reports! :)

KronoRed
08-10-2008, 12:35 PM

I try and remember our RZ friends :D

redsmetz
08-10-2008, 03:20 PM

So Matt, do you beat your hands on your chest like the guy from WKRP?

Reds4Life
08-10-2008, 03:25 PM

One day I expect this report out of you: "Truck overtuned on 75 south at the cut in the hill, heavy traffic 75 north from Mitchell to Paddock. Traffic sucks almost as much as Dusty Baker sucks............that's traffic I'm Matt....bye."

:D

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 05:08 PM
One day I expect this report out of you: "Truck overtuned on 75 south at the cut in the hill, heavy traffic 75 north from Mitchell to Paddock. Traffic sucks almost as much as Dusty Baker sucks............that's traffic I'm Matt....bye."

:D

:lol:

I too have been waiting for him to slip up and to say what he really thinks. :)

Matt700wlw
08-10-2008, 05:14 PM
So Matt, do you beat your hands on your chest like the guy from WKRP?

I did it on WEBN once, because Jay played the old helicopter traffic sounder by accident.

mbgrayson
08-17-2008, 10:13 AM
This "rumor" has reached the Dayton newspaper (http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/17/ddn081708spaskhalweb.html):

No truth to Patterson-Baker rumor
By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Q Is it true that Corey Patterson is engaged to Dusty Baker's daughter? If

so, is this why Baker is always saying that we are family? — Dave, Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek

A That rumor has been making the rounds, but it's not true. Patterson does not even date Dusty's daughter. Nor does Patterson baby-sit Dusty's son, Darren, or take him to McDonald's. Patterson doesn't wash Baker's car or mow his lawn. Then why does Patterson play so much with a .191 batting average? Now that's the question you should ask. Answer? I don't know.

I think this whole thing started out tongue in cheek, and took off from there...lol.

savafan
08-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I can't accept it. I still want to see proof that it isn't true before I'll believe it. ;)

Matt700wlw
08-18-2008, 12:04 AM
:lol:

I too have been waiting for him to slip up and to say what he really thinks. :)

The FCC probably would have issue with some of the adjectives... :)

Degenerate39
08-18-2008, 12:14 AM
The FCC probably would have issue with some of the adjectives... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiry19ogfFc&feature=related

Matt700wlw
08-18-2008, 12:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiry19ogfFc&feature=related

Phenomenal

OnBaseMachine
09-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Dusty addresses the rumor, Volquez finished
Posted by JohnFay at 9/24/2008 5:27 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Dusty Baker finally had enough. When players on the Astros asked him about his daughter dating Corey Patterson, he felt the need to publicly address the issue. Baker has heard the rumor for weeks. There's no truth to it. Natosha is not dating to Patterson.

"She hasn't even been to Cincinnati," Baker said. "This is so far out of line. It's hurtful to my wife and daughter. How can people stoop that low? I don't know who started it. But I've been hearing from fans, players, announcers."

Patterson has been the fans' whipping boy all season. He hasn't hit. His average was .203 going into Wednesday. Wayne Krivsky said after he was fired that CEO Bob Castellini has told him to get the Patterson deal done. The inference being that Baker was behind in the signing. Patterson played for Baker in Chicago.

But Baker asked: "Who am I to get someone a job like that?"

Baker also pointed out that Patterson's playing time is largely due to injuries and trades.

"Who else was I supposed to play the last two or three months? (Adam) Dunn and (Ken) Griffey are gone. Jerry Hairston's been hurt. Chris Dickerson was hurt."

Patterson was sent to Louisville in late May, but he was recalled June 4 when Ryan Freel went on the DL with a hamstring problem.

Patterson heard the rumor, too.

"I addressed it with him briefly," Baker said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a9f6a7777-4b99-4e26-bd52-456e183aa94f&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

RedsManRick
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Dusty Baker, Oct 15th 2007 (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/SPT04/310160001/-1/CINCI)

In order to win here, Baker said, the Reds need more resources in the dugout. Baker said “a number of players…called me about coming to Cincinnati.”

“I can attract players to come here,” Baker said. “You add or subtract a couple players from almost every team, and there’s possibility. I looked at things, analyzed things. I loved to win. I’m spoiled by winning. I want to get back to that.”

Dusty Baker, September 24th, 2008 (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a9f6a7777-4b99-4e26-bd52-456e183aa94f&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com&GID=rv3lSNIxg5i7YDPIK0xaly1fLIiVVNgXI1WydEfjprs%3D )

The inference being that Baker was behind in the signing. Patterson played for Baker in Chicago.

But Baker asked: "Who am I to get someone a job like that?"

Who are you Dusty? Either you oversold your influence in the beginning or you are underselling your influence today. Either way, it speaks pretty directly to you are.

Avoiding blame: Check
Hypocrisy: Check

Blimpie
09-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Excellent post.

OnBaseMachine
09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Baker squashes Patterson rumor
Reds manager upset by effects of conspiracy theory
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Reds manager Dusty Baker had heard enough of the gossip, and he wants to put a stop to it.

For months, there has been a rumor circulating that center fielder Corey Patterson was getting playing time, even while he was struggling, because he was dating Baker's daughter, Natosha. The conspiracy theory has made the rounds on Internet and talk radio, and it has gotten back to the Baker family.

It's not true, Baker said.

"Some of the players on the Astros asked me about it," Baker said on Wednesday. "I don't know where it came from. It's really, really unfair to my daughter, my family and me. It's very upsetting. It's unprofessional. I don't know who started it."

Patterson played for Baker from 2004-05 with the Cubs and was signed to a $3 million one-year contract with the Reds in March during Spring Training. Installed as the leadoff hitter, Patterson was unsuccessful, and his hitting woes got him sent to Triple-A Louisville in late May. He was recalled only a few days later, when center fielder Ryan Freel suffered a season-ending hamstring injury.

A main target of criticism among Reds fans during this losing season, Patterson entered Wednesday batting .203 with nine home runs, 33 RBIs and a .238 on-base percentage. The 29-year-old has played a lot the past several weeks, but he no longer is in the leadoff spot in the lineup.

"When you look around, how many real outfield choices do I have or have I had the last four months?" Baker said. "Freel got hurt. [Norris] Hopper got hurt. Then Jerry [Hairston Jr.] got hurt, twice. We traded [Adam] Dunn and [Ken] Griffey, and now [Chris] Dickerson is hurt. What options did I have?

"It bothers me now when it gets around the league and guys ask me about it. I've heard it before, but I dismissed it. Why not Joey Votto? Why not Jay Bruce or Edwin Encarnacion? They're single."

Baker said people within the Reds organization have broached the Patterson rumor with him, too. He and Patterson also discussed it briefly, but quickly dismissed the talk as silly gossip.

Now, it's not so silly anymore.

"It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers my daughter or my wife," Baker said. "People that don't know what they're talking about need to be quiet. My daughter hasn't even been to Cincinnati, I don't think. Throughout my life and career, I've been the victim of a whole bunch of gossip. This is probably the worst."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080924&content_id=3541403&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Matt700wlw
09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I thought Bruce had a girlfriend? :p:

OnBaseMachine
09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
I thought Bruce had a girlfriend? :p:

He does. They showed her a lot when he was first called up. When I was in Cincy last month I saw him with the same girl at the Kenwood mall. I remember him saying he's been with her since high school.

savafan
09-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Dusty can't seriously expect us to swallow the injury excuse for why Patterson has received so much playing time all season, can he?

KronoRed
09-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Dusty can't seriously expect us to swallow the injury excuse for why Patterson has received so much playing time all season, can he?

Didn't you hear? it's never Dusty's fault about anything bad, only when the winning starts will Dusty take the credit.

Degenerate39
09-24-2008, 09:37 PM
This is hilarous. Everyone start more rumors about Baker and get them passed around so he'll just quit.

savafan
09-24-2008, 09:39 PM
I heard the reason the Banks Project is so far behind schedule is because of Dusty's feelings about architecture and commerce.

Always Red
09-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Throughout my life and career, I've been the victim of a whole bunch of gossip. This is probably the worst."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080924&content_id=3541403&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Dusty is a black man who grew up in America in the 1960's.

Is this really the worst he has experienced?

RedsManRick
09-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Dusty is a black man who grew up in America in the 1960's.

Is this really the worst he has experienced?

Given that he's best friends with Hank Aaron, you'd think he'd have a bit of perspective?

LoganBuck
09-24-2008, 10:56 PM
"It bothers me now when it gets around the league and guys ask me about it. I've heard it before, but I dismissed it. Why not Joey Votto? Why not Jay Bruce or Edwin Encarnacion? They're single."

They don't suck?

Come on Dusty. I mean seriously, between you and Walt Jocketty, you are telling me you couldn't come up with a single better option then Corey Patterson all season? They have these things called trades, and waivers players change teams all season. I mean you expect us to believe that, how can we believe you that Patterson isn't betrothed to your daughter?:thumbdown

top6
09-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Given that he's best friends with Hank Aaron, you'd think he'd have a bit of perspective?

In fairness, though, Dusty has always been extremely reluctant to talk about Aaron, particularly their playing days together.

Also, just throwing this out there, you will note that Dusty doesn't actually deny the rumor in any of the quotes. "Not true" is the author's words. Dusty calls it "really, really unfair to my daughter, my family and me"; "very upsetting"; "unprofessional"; says it "bothers" him and that he "dismissed it".

Matt700wlw
09-25-2008, 12:12 AM
I don't think I'm touching that perspective...but others feel free to. :D

kaldaniels
09-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Is it possible the whole Patterson/Baker's daughter rumor got started up here on Redszone with a flippant comment. I remember reading a remark to that effect earlier in the season...then a month or so later the speculation really took off. Can anyone trace it's origins here on Redszone :confused:

KronoRed
09-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Is it possible the whole Patterson/Baker's daughter rumor got started up here on Redszone with a flippant comment. I remember reading a remark to that effect earlier in the season...then a month or so later the speculation really took off. Can anyone trace it's origins here on Redszone :confused:

Almost positive it came from Tracy 'Bullhockey' Jones.

WVRedsFan
09-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Almost positive it came from Tracy 'Bullhockey' Jones.

True.

Tracy started it (in the best WLW tradition) and we ran with it. Whatever explanation could it be that a guy who couldn't hit a baseball if it were a pumpkins rolling up to the plate could start over many better offensive players? Ah, defense. We saw tongiht what a good pitching performance can do for a team without an offense. And yet, what were Dusty's options? The reliance on defense when your club is run deprived is a mystery of the times. We play Janish at short when we know he won't do much offensively (despite Hairston is on the bench, and unless he's injured, why not play him--the future maybe? He has no future except as a utility man). And then there's Corey in center. He can trak down those fly balls, but he's a lefty facing a lefy pitcher, and even if he gets a hit he just might make a baserinng mistake.

Brings all kinds of speculation into the mix. And you know we all like gossip.

I don't care who dating who, and the reasons, I just want Corey gone next year. No matter how many good defensive plays he makes in CF, it cn't make up for the the lack of offense.

Roy Oswalt tomorrow. Hide the women and children, hide the groceries too. The great Oswalt is coming through (with apologies to Randy Newman).

We needed this one tonight.

top6
09-25-2008, 09:18 AM
I am almost positive I heard this rumor when I lived in Chicago and Dusty and Corey were on the Cubs, but I could be wrong about that.

I'm sure it's not true, but is it really that vicious? I mean, Corey Patterson seems as perfectly respectable a young man as he is a terrible Major League Baseball palyer. This isn't really a rumor about Dusty's daughter, it's actually an insult to Dusty, as having Patterson lead off is inexplicable from a baseball stand point.

Also, there is something about his denials that makes me think there is some germ of truth in this. (Angry denials that don't discuss facts are often lies.) I am not saying that Dusty's daughter has anything at all to do with it, but it would not suprise me to learn that there is some personal or familial or possibly a business relationship between Dusty and Corey.

Tony Cloninger
09-25-2008, 12:32 PM
I think Dave Martinez could have been signed and hit better than Corey and played well enough in CF right now.

hebroncougar
09-25-2008, 12:38 PM
I think Dave Martinez could have been signed and hit better than Corey and played well enough in CF right now.

As could Billy Hatcher.

mbgrayson
09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I am almost positive I heard this rumor when I lived in Chicago and Dusty and Corey were on the Cubs, but I could be wrong about that.

I'm sure it's not true, but is it really that vicious? I mean, Corey Patterson seems as perfectly respectable a young man as he is a terrible Major League Baseball palyer. This isn't really a rumor about Dusty's daughter, it's actually an insult to Dusty, as having Patterson lead off is inexplicable from a baseball stand point.

Also, there is something about his denials that makes me think there is some germ of truth in this. (Angry denials that don't discuss facts are often lies.) I am not saying that Dusty's daughter has anything at all to do with it, but it would not suprise me to learn that there is some personal or familial or possibly a business relationship between Dusty and Corey.

I also have had some fun with this rumor...it seems to explain the inexplicable: why Dusty stuck with Patterson so long as a lead off hitter when he was hitting about .200 and had an OBP of about .230.

However, I now think it is in bad taste and could cause some problems for Dusty's family. I can see how his daughter really might not like rumors of a relationship with Corey Patterson to be floating around the internet and/or talk radio. She has a right to her own private life, and rumors like this could easily impact her. For example, if she has a regular boyfriend or a fiance, the last thing she would need is him hearing these rumors.... So, with this in mind, I am going to stop even joking about Corey Patterson having something to do with Dusty's daughter....

ochre
09-25-2008, 04:07 PM
He's better than Cesar Hernandez... ...so he's got that going for him...

LINEDRIVER
09-25-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm still not convinced Corey Baker won't be on the the Reds in '09.

Matt700wlw
09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm still not convinced Corey Baker won't be on the the Reds in '09.

Redszone may explode

KronoRed
09-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Nah, most of us know it's going to happen, our manager has favorites and he appears to have a lot of say in who is and isn't on board.