PDA

View Full Version : How'd the REDS miss this guy?....He may as well have went to Moeller High School.

Kingspoint
08-09-2008, 04:18 AM
Twins' first-round pick (28th overall) in 2007 First-Year draft...2007 graduate of Lexington Catholic (KY) High School...named 2006-2007 Gatorade Kentucky Baseball Player of the Year, 2007 Mr. Baseball for Kentucky and named to the USA Today All-USA Today high school baseball team his senior season...led Lexington Catholic to the state title and named MVP his junior year.

2007 Highlights:

Hit .348 (8-23) with four runs and six rbi as the Twins' Minor League Player of the Week, 8/24-30...led the GCL in runs (46) and triples (10) and was second in stolen bases (21)...led the team in batting (.325) and slugging...named to GCL All-Star Team.

Awards/Honors:

06/17/2008 MID Mid-Season All-Star
05/31/2008 Topps MID Player of the Month
09/14/2007 GCL Post-Season All-Star

Ben Revere

Beloit Snappers
Class A Midwest League
MLB Parent Club: Minnesota
Stats

AVG: .382 HR: 1 RBI: 39 SB: 37

Born: 05/03/1988
Birthplace: Lexington, KY
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 166
Bats: L
Throws: R

Currently leads the Midwest League in AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, and 3rd in SB

Joseph
08-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm going on my own faulty memory here, but IIRC he was taken earlier than he was slated to be taken. The Twins took him late first round and he might have been a projected 3rd rounder. Again thats just my fuzzy recollection. Can't fault the Reds for not taking a guy before his projected talent level indicated.

Benihana
08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
He was a first round pick that was almost universally panned by the "experts" at the time. If the Reds would have taken him in the 1st (13 picks earlier), this site would have blown a fuse. So I don't really believe the Reds "missed" this guy, it's more like the Twins "found" him. Oh well.

dougdirt
08-09-2008, 11:09 AM
He is an undersized guy who was a reach as a first round pick at the time by nearly everyone. He was considered to be a raw baseball player at the time, but with lots of upside.

johngalt
08-09-2008, 11:21 AM
A guy 5'9, 166 pounds doing well in the Midwest League is a long way from being someone anyone missed or hit on.

camisadelgolf
08-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I was pretty surprised when he was taken so early by the Twins. I'm not disappointed at all that the Reds don't have him. He has very little power and doesn't have the frame to develop much more. He makes good contact but doesn't walk much at all. His OBP and SLG are both very batting average-driven.

LoganBuck
08-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Nice thread title. Add it to the list.

Kazmir
Lincecum
Revere

One of these things is not like the others.

NorrisHopper30
08-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Speaking of Moeller high school, the guy the Reds got this year out of Moeller is doing great. Tyler Stovall.

Degenerate39
08-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Kazmir
Lincecum
Revere

Don't forget Jeter.

Mario-Rijo
08-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I was pretty surprised when he was taken so early by the Twins. I'm not disappointed at all that the Reds don't have him. He has very little power and doesn't have the frame to develop much more. He makes good contact but doesn't walk much at all. His OBP and SLG are both very batting average-driven.

I get what you are saying but there are plenty of good players who can say the same thing. Unfortunately when you bring up those players who didn't BB much they get the "special" tag and you can't include them in the argument for a non BB driven OBP%. I find that a bit ludicrous since the whole idea of hitting is to "hit".

Another thing that is suggested since I'm on the subject is that if you are a .300 hitter that means you are a singles hitter. Somehow (and I still haven't figured out this argument) that if you make contact it means you are swinging at pitches out of the zone. Um O.K. All the great "name" sluggers are mostly .300 hitters as well and of course have a high OBP% as well.

I think basically both sides for the most part agree but for whatever reason don't speak the same language. The obvious and #1 goal is to avoid an out if at all possible. But what's often overlooked with that idea is that the opposition A. can and actually attempts to throw undesireable (to hit) pitches that are still strikes. And B. have 9 defenders on the field to keep you from doing such things.

So what I'm saying I guess is Revere has the one skill set that he has to have to make it and possibly succeed, he can hit. Although he would certainly do well to try to improve his discipline to wait if he can for that mistake by the pitcher if he indeed even makes one.

bigredbunter
08-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Kazmir
Lincecum
Revere

"Listen my children and you shall hear, how the Reds missed out on Ben Revere."

camisadelgolf
08-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Ben Revere is looking a lot like a future Tony Gwynn at this point (who was so great largely in part due to his consistency). I want to see if Revere continues what he's doing in a couple years. If he's putting up a .330/.370/.380 line, like I said, I won't be too disappointed that the Reds 'missed' on him. He's looking like he was a great pick for the Twins, but if Mesoraco, Lotzkar, and Frazier become what they're expected to, I won't be sad one bit.

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 03:50 AM

Kazmir
Lincecum
Revere

It was a legitimate question. Don't be a wise-guy.

Nice input to the thread, btw.

I've never heard of the guy. He's leading the entire league in AVG in the .380's and had a shot to hit .400 until he slumped the last week or so going 3 for 21. He leads the entire league in OPS, too and OBP. "Mr. Kentucky" or whatever his moniker was is a surprise why they didn't get him. The REDS have drafted other "hometown" Superstars before. Odd that they missed this guy.

camisadelgolf
08-13-2008, 04:02 AM
The Twins took him at #28, and it was surprise because some people thought he might not even get drafted through the first sandwich round. If the Reds had the option between Revere and Frazier, maybe they would've taken Revere, but personally, I'm glad the Reds have Frazier. You have very few first round picks--usually just one--so it's not fair to see the Reds 'missed' on the guy; they just got someone they liked better.

LoganBuck
08-13-2008, 07:45 AM
It was a legitimate question. Don't be a wise-guy.

Nice input to the thread, btw.

I've never heard of the guy. He's leading the entire league in AVG in the .380's and had a shot to hit .400 until he slumped the last week or so going 3 for 21. He leads the entire league in OPS, too and OBP. "Mr. Kentucky" or whatever his moniker was is a surprise why they didn't get him. The REDS have drafted other "hometown" Superstars before. Odd that they missed this guy.

You have been around long enough to see the haggling over who the Reds "should have picked". In this case you titled a thread: "How'd the REDS miss this guy?....He may as well have went to Moeller High School." They didn't miss on this guy, and I am happy with what they got. The Twins reached in a budget minded selection. Ben Revere is doing well, but to sit here and exclaim how they missed on a average driven guy like Revere is a bit too much.

SarasotaFan
08-13-2008, 09:43 AM
He is an undersized guy who was a reach as a first round pick at the time by nearly everyone. He was considered to be a raw baseball player at the time, but with lots of upside.

exactly. one of those guys with a great potential, but will he ever fulfill it. we'll see. i'm happy with our current selection

looks like a scrappy little player with a wicked approach to hitting, but he gets it done. i remember watching him this spring training when i took my son to a backfields in Sarasota before a Reds game. he stuck out in my mind cause it looks like he's got a million hitches, but he makes contact and can fly.

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
You have been around long enough to see the haggling over who the Reds "should have picked". In this case you titled a thread: "How'd the REDS miss this guy?....He may as well have went to Moeller High School." They didn't miss on this guy, and I am happy with what they got. The Twins reached in a budget minded selection. Ben Revere is doing well, but to sit here and exclaim how they missed on a average driven guy like Revere is a bit too much.

I wasn't trying to put any blame on the organization for not picking him. It was more of a rhetorical question. Traditionally, a local superstar has been drafted by the REDS. I got all the answers I was looking for as many here were well aware of what happended at the time. I had no idea.